Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Codex never had a big focus on blobbers, just some very active fans like aweigh and support from Codex authority in the form of Crooked Bee

Maybe I am remembering it wrong but I feel like discussion about classic blobbers used to be more active in general. Thats how I got into Wizardry and Might & Magic as some of my first classic RPGs. The feeling is reflected in this poll where most of the blobbers seemed to take a hit and are trending downward.
Genre is essentially dead so it's unsurprising the popularity is declining.

The Japanese keep it alive somewhat, even slightly experimenting with new ideas, but all the western blobbers are Dungeon Master (or actually Grimrock) remakes that don't really do anything new or interesting

I wish Wizardry 8 hadn't proved a dead end but an inspiration for a new generation of blobbers, but alas with live in the darkest timeline

Codex Year of the Donut
I think I already said this in the review thread, but it is worth repeating: The fact that we have new games getting high ranking in the poll really shows that our hobby is healthy at the moment. Rejoice!
I'd honestly be surprised if the majority of people who voted for Kingmaker even made it to Armag's tomb.
It's a decent game, but I expect it to fall down to the 50s or 60s the next time rankings come up.

What makes you think that? A lot of people I know completed the game and on their 2nd or 3rd playthrough. I, for one, am on my 4th playthrough with the total of 650+ hours on it.
Because it's an uninspired clone. It does absolutely nothing new, and the story is at best serviceable. Is that bad? No, not at all.
The idea that it's somehow one of the best RPGs ever made though is ridiculous. It's a good game, that's about it.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

I think I already said this in the review thread, but it is worth repeating: The fact that we have new games getting high ranking in the poll really shows that our hobby is healthy at the moment. Rejoice!
I'd honestly be surprised if the majority of people who voted for Kingmaker even made it to Armag's tomb.
It's a decent game, but I expect it to fall down to the 50s or 60s the next time rankings come up.

What makes you think that? A lot of people I know completed the game and on their 2nd or 3rd playthrough. I, for one, am on my 4th playthrough with the total of 650+ hours on it.
Because it's an uninspired clone. It does absolutely nothing new, and the story is at best serviceable.
The idea that it's somehow one of the best RPGs ever made is ridiculous. It's a good game, that's about it.
Being more original doesn't equal to being a better game. Most of the times original games are at best adequate (but worse than more traditional games), originality only adds some amusement quality which fades in relatively fast and you are in the end its the overall quality of the game which leaves a lasting impression. Great example of that is poe vs pathfinder. Poe has original system which is more shallow and boring than kingmakers pathfinder rules implementation. POE has original lore and world, but most of it is barebones and doesnt go further than being a reason for a boring and often irrelevant loredump. Kingmakers uses traditional tropes and focusing on creating an engaging adventure where player is a participant, not just a passive reader of event which bear no consequences for his current situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Codex Year of the Donut

Because it's an uninspired clone. It does absolutely nothing new, and the story is at best serviceable.
The idea that it's somehow one of the best RPGs ever made is ridiculous. It's a good game, that's about it.
Being more original doesn't equal to being a better game. Mist of the times original games are adequate (but worse than more traditional games), originality only adds some amusement. Great example of that is poe vs pathfinder. Poe has original system which is more shallow and boring than kingmakers pathfinder rules inplementation. Pke has original lore and workd, but mist of it is barebones and doesnt go further than being a reason for a boring and irrelevant loredump. Kingmakers uses traditional tropes and focusing on creating an engaging adventure w(where player makesis a participant, not just a reader of event which bear no consequences for his current situation) sense instead of dropping tons of exposition.
And yet that does not make it one of the best RPGs ever made.
Do you really consider PFK to be better than Baldur's Gate? How about MotB?

Thal

Augur
Have you considered running a poll for particular types of crpgs? It could bring attention to very solid titles that otherwise would remain obscure. Reviews are instrumental in this, since it's very hard to find information about how some obscure game actually plays. If you were to run a poll on 20 best party-based tactical rpgs, for example, many of us might discover some real gems from the bygone era. On the other hand, there are practically no roguelikes on the list, because many people consider them an entirely separate genre.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Have you considered running a poll for particular types of crpgs? It could attention to very solid titles that otherwise would remain obscure. Reviews are instrumental in this, since it's very hard to find information about how some obscure game actually plays. If you were to run a poll on 20 best party-based tactical rpgs, for example, many of us might discover some real gems from the bygone era. On the other hand, there are practically no roguelikes on the list, because many people consider them an entirely separate genre.
IIRC, ADOM made a fairly high place last time.
I'd argue roguelikes have more reason to be on there than some of the other questionable choices up there.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Have you considered running a poll for particular types of crpgs? It could attention to very solid titles that otherwise would remain obscure. Reviews are instrumental in this, since it's very hard to find information about how some obscure game actually plays. If you were to run a poll on 20 best party-based tactical rpgs, for example, many of us might discover some real gems from the bygone era. On the other hand, there are practically no roguelikes on the list, because many people consider them an entirely separate genre.

This, I have been saying that a couple of times already. Lets have smaller and more specialized polls, Top 20 Roguelikes, Top 20 Storyfag Games, Top 20 Blobbers, Top 20 Combat in RPGs etc. Lots of fun could be had any maybe some surprises.

hello friend

Arcane
How many hours did you put in Skyrim?

I was just bewildered that Oblivion, despite having seemingly no fans on the Codex, made it onto the list while Skyrim (a much better game IMO) didn't.

On a more serious note I'm glad to see Age of Decadence rocket up the ranks to a rightful place on the list.
Skyrim is bland like cardboard. Oblivion, while being a terrible game in may ways, has a special charm to it - special being the operative word here because all the npcs have Down's Syndrome. In the best possible way. Loaded down with enough mods, Oblivion can be a fun game, and a handful of the quests are decent. Skyrim is irredeemable.

purpleblob

Savant

Being more original doesn't equal to being a better game. Mist of the times original games are adequate (but worse than more traditional games), originality only adds some amusement. Great example of that is poe vs pathfinder. Poe has original system which is more shallow and boring than kingmakers pathfinder rules inplementation. Pke has original lore and workd, but mist of it is barebones and doesnt go further than being a reason for a boring and irrelevant loredump. Kingmakers uses traditional tropes and focusing on creating an engaging adventure w(where player makesis a participant, not just a reader of event which bear no consequences for his current situation) sense instead of dropping tons of exposition.

Yes, I actually do consider Kingmaker to be than BG1 - as did many codexers. Kingmaker was in 13th place, which is much higher than BG1 in 19th place.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yes, I actually do consider Kingmaker to be than BG1 - as did many codexers. Kingmaker was in 13th place, which is much higher than BG1 in 19th place.
You're entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I have a soft spot for Oblivion, but I still couldn't imagine voting for it with a limited number of votes. Oblivion is a pure example of "remembering playing this game is more enjoyable than replaying it".

purpleblob

Savant

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong.

As is yours :)

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just wondering, was there not enough people vote for Blackguards or was it not counted as an RPG? Can't open the excel file for some reasons...

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Oblivion beat Skyrim is a bit strange, even now looking back~

Nostalgia is strong in this list. For example, I love Arcanum (it was my favorite game for years), but I'm not sure if I would put it that high on the list now, as I did back then.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Oblivion beat Skyrim is a bit strange, even now looking back~

Nostalgia is strong in this list. For example, I love Arcanum (it was my favorite game for years), but I'm not sure if I would put it that high on the list, as it was.
I like Arcanum but I'm always surprised to see it score so high. Its turn-based mode is fucking garbage and so many parts of it are sooo slow. But it's very nostalgic for many people -- one of the first highly anticipated RPGs to be developed and released during IRC/early forums internet. One of the first games I know of where developers were communicating with the plebs.
It does have some good qualities though, it's not just all nostalgia.

Higher Game

Arcane
I will say that the Eschalon games, especially the second one, are criminally underrated, even here. I will also stick my neck out and say Fallout 3 deserves to be on the list more than Morrowind, an unbalanced and clunky glorified tech demo, now dated and irreparable by any mods. :edgy:

Fallout 3 is a serviceable shooter, and roguelikes are optimized for autistic munchkins, but Morrowind falls into an uncanny valley in between that leads nowhere. It's that thing that just exists between Daggerfall and Oblivion, not fitting in anywhere, despite being so promising looking at first glance and honestly for quite a few glances before one realizes how hollow it is. At least it had interesting art direction...

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I like Arcanum but I'm always surprised to see it score so high. Its turn-based mode is fucking garbage and so many parts of it are sooo slow. But it's very nostalgic for many people -- one of the first highly anticipated RPGs to be developed and released during IRC/early forums internet. One of the first games I know of where developers were communicating with the plebs.
It does have some good qualities though, it's not just all nostalgia.

It does. The different reactions to your choice of race and job are interesting, I love how powerful dialogue checks can be and how versatile the skill system is. The story is also still strong, even if you just run from A to B and back. All those ittle details make it good, but yeah, combat is crap and you fight a lot. Less maps would've done good and a better UI. And less, but more developed companions (Virgil and Magnus and Z'an Al'urin and Loghaire are great!) andandand. Still love it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom