Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can skip/automate most of the nonbattle stuff if it bothers you.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I feel like there's a good balance between battles and downtime, but I'm not very far in yet. I found previous Fire Emblem games, which went from battle to battle with very little intermission were pretty tedious. The game seems very, very easy so far, even on hard mode. I wonder if that will change. Some of these characters are just too powerful.

Endemic

Arcane
Actual discussion I just had about 3H:

3H player: almost through the Blue Lions route in Three Houses
3H player: and man I have to say, a lot of part 2 for the Blue Lion group just felt like playing Shadow Dragon lategame again
3H player: except for like 2 maps all of the main maps in part 2 have been kill boss
Me: i see.
3H player: and well this game has a gambit that boosts move by 5 for 1 turn, as well as warp that you can spam without worry since spells refill their uses after the map is over
3H player: you have essentially infinite warp is what I am saying
Me: so you basically steamrolled part 2 or warpskipped?
3H player: lots of warpskipping
3H player: just today I 1-turned 3 maps in a row

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Played through the church route. Hard mode and classic. Some thoughts:
-game is piss easy until the timeskip (maybe around halfway in to the game), if you are looking for challenge wait for the new difficulty mode to be patched in
-lack of memorable maps, the ones with more complex geometry and more side objectives don't really show up much until the timeskip
-didn't play the 3DS games so I can't say how the writing compares to them, but I found the writing to be about as enjoyable as in the Tellius games
-the school setting honestly isn't that bad, it adds some content that has to be time managed between fights
-weapon triangle actually is in, once you have triangle weapon at rank B you get +20 hit/avoid passive against the opponent with respective weakness
-spells have less uses but refill after each fight. They are gained through leveling weapon rank and characters get slightly different spells on Reason (black magic) and Faith (light magic) ranks. So some units get a single charge for Warp at B rank Faith and others get Rescue. Good players can abuse them, but I'm not particularly good and have an obsession to level out everyone about evenly so I never cheesed them much.
-characters are very customizeable, which I like. Basically the class progress boils down to deciding which weapon skills you want to level up (this happens within battle as well as out of battle lessons).
-monster enemies bring some variety. They have multiple health bars, can attack on AoE, hit like trucks and have annoying passives such as halving the damage from triangle weapons for the flying ones.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, there's a ton of reddit and whatever posts about how 'I enjoy the story and characters so much X waifu squeeeeeeeee' and 'I never died but oh wow this game is so wonderful!!!'

Fuck that shit, ignoring at least until Lunatic & a sale. I guess this is it for Fire Emblem though, after a million sales they're not going to look back. It was a good run.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, they seem to have found a large audience. Not surprised that they went this way with the success of Awakening and Fates.

It had a great debut in many countries. It sold three times more than Fates debut in Spain and it's still No.1 in the UK.

I'll get it down the line. I have other games to play.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I'm not particularly good and have an obsession to level out everyone about evenly so I never cheesed them much.
I do the same thing. I recruited as many of the characters as I could (I think I only missed one or two, can't remember) and use them all, so they're all around the same level. I'm sure they're underleveled for the part of the game I'm at now, but that keeps it challenging. It was really very easy until I started doing this, and I get to see which characters are best. Hate to say it, but Caspar and Raphael, who are my two favorite characters personality-wise, seem pretty bad.

I will definitely play this again at least once, though. If you're good at strategy RPGs, I'd recommend waiting until lunatic mode comes out. The challenge really fluctuates - some battles are way too easy and some are just right.

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah, there's a ton of reddit and whatever posts about how 'I enjoy the story and characters so much X waifu squeeeeeeeee' and 'I never died but oh wow this game is so wonderful!!!'

Fuck that shit, ignoring at least until Lunatic & a sale. I guess this is it for Fire Emblem though, after a million sales they're not going to look back. It was a good run.
Awakening was also easy as piss, so this doesn't surprise me

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
so i'm guessing they decided to fire the map design team for conquest instead of their writers
They are probably working on something else. Majority of the development team are from Koei Tecmo.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
so i'm guessing they decided to fire the map design team for conquest instead of their writers

The weird thing is that the paralogue maps (optional character specific side content) are pretty much all well designed. They have a good layout, couple of side objectives like having to save NPC's or locked chests in hard to reach places and the enemies are somewhat tougher.
The main chapter maps don't start to be similar until fairly later on. They clearly have people who can do good maps, but I guess they decided that the player shouldn't be too inconvenienced if they failed to plan out sensible builds for their main squad early to midgame.

Endemic

Arcane
1563604767842gpkar.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
There are lots of ROM Hack for GBA FE in Serene Forest from terrible to quite good.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
The main chapter maps don't start to be similar until fairly later on. They clearly have people who can do good maps, but I guess they decided that the player shouldn't be too inconvenienced if they failed to plan out sensible builds for their main squad early to midgame.

I mean for FE7 Lyndis prologue chapters are quite easy. And FE8 doesn't becomes hard before the Prince/Princess route split midway through the game.

This is a problem common to the series. Please doesn't act like this is a decline shit because 3H is a new game.

Endemic

Arcane
I mean for FE7 Lyndis prologue chapters are quite easy. And FE8 doesn't becomes hard before the Prince/Princess route split midway through the game.

FE7/Blazing Blade was the first game for an international audience, it was thus made easier. You don't even get access to the harder difficulty modes until completing the game once. FE8/Sacred Stones is a filler game that was outsourced (the localized versions were released shortly before FE9/Path of Radiance).

This is a problem common to the series. Please doesn't act like this is a decline shit because 3H is a new game.

Difficulty varies depending on the specific title and whether you pick Hard/Lunatic modes (if available). Fates: Conquest, FE12/New Mystery of the Emblem, and some of the Dawn Brigade chapters in FE10, come to mind as the more challenging portions of the series.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm consistently seeing that it is piss-easy like Awakening and far easier than Fates: Conquest. And that matters.

FE, I would argue, isn't worth playing when there isn't some modicum of difficulty. What are you playing for otherwise? Maps and tactics that don't matter anymore due to roflstomp? The story and characters (charming and forgettable in old FE, brain cancer in nu-FE)? And now, Harry Potter?

deuxhero

Arcane
Endemic
Even on normal Eliwood mode FE7 is hardly (if at all) easier than normal FE6 outside of being free from 6's love of feeding low numbers into the RNG for both player and enemy. Lyn Mode likely was, but one can't really say the main game is notably easier. FE8 wasn't outsourced, but it was made very quickly and (shown by Path of Radiance being FE8 internally) actually started development after PoR. Development started in 2003 and there's a leaked FE8 prototype that's barely finished with a build date 5 months before release, and with cartridges in that era you'd need a solid month+ for beta testing and going gold.

Last edited:

Max Edge

I found funny a fact, that there is more lesbian romance option than a gay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Endemic

Arcane
If you want specific examples from FE6: Chapters 7, 10B, 11A\11B, 14, 16, 21. Map design doesn't just concern layout, but how enemies are placed and act, scripted events, recruitments etc.

FE7 spams lots of weak enemies at you for the most part. https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Cog_of_Destiny is particularly egregious for pacing. No less than *80* enemies including the reinforcements.

Marcus doesn't quite trivialize the game as much as Seth does in 8, but he is noticeably more effective than your other units.

captureslmrzjg9.png

I guess FE7 did introduce some QoL features...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom