Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Bergblatstein

Novice
Did anyone managed to get level 5 chip and use the elevator in the health center?

This i would like to know also.

Is the slimy tablet you find near a tent and some siphoners readable or unlockable?
I tried to sneak into expedition camp to see if i could force hippy to unlock it but i get an error and back to main menu i go. :negative:

On Yngwar:

When he reaches the monolith he transends (or vaporises...) , is this his closing or has anyone found him after that?

Black Angel

Arcane
Because of the puzzle or something else that annoys you? (swarms are build dependent, some builds have it easier than others, for example its possible to oneshot the hive with cryo orb, and AOE ignores most of the evasion against locusts, destroyed hives will make that the locust no longer respawn there)

Steam tells me that I've logged 843 hours into Underrail. All of them have been fantastic except the hours since 7/22/19. The swarms are fucking awful. Sorry. Locusts, crabs, spiders, natives, fucking robot people.
There are ways to deal with the crabs. In most areas there are specific path that you can navigate without even having to stealth so that they don't show up. However, this behavior seemed random because I also encounter a lot of cases where these crabs would still show up even though I was in stealth. Even more obnoxious is when the levels are pretty much linearly designed AND these crabs shows up regardless of being in stealth.
The hermit crabs are like mimics, but they aren't immediately obvious like in Dark Souls. I guess if you're suspicious that something is a hermit crab, throwing a 'nades at it would do the trick. They won't really show themselves until you actually got too close, anyway.
For locusts, having observed hives behavior carefully, they're actually in a fixed position where they got 'eyes' watching one area, so if you stealth 'behind' them they won't even fill up their detection meters. Though I agree that the locusts themselves are more of an annoyance by their sheer numbers, high initiative and high MP/AP. I guess the only way to deal with hives as non-stealth is to abuse ENTER COMBAT function.
Spiders.... they felt more like discount crawlers. I would be more accepting of them if they tone down their numbers, but at least with sufficient AGI and stealth you can pretty much skip most encounters with them. For non-stealthy and/or low AGI.... yeah, it'd really be annoying to face them because of their numbers.
Robots... yeah, this one has consistent behavior, which is gets detected by cameras and awaken ALL bloody robots in the facility, which is equally annoying for stealth and non-stealth, though I guess when in this type of situation should turn off out-of-combat speed-up to avoid getting detected by cameras. But there's still many situation where a lot of them would just woke up for no reason. Like, "Oh, you just touched that war table/that corpses, huh? It's time for us ALL to get up and rape you."
But... natives? Aren't fighting their waves of invasion a little less awful since you get help from other expedition team members? Or did you mean when you invade their territory, which, what did you expect, tbh?
But the amount of focus on 'go to ruins, find a million loredumps' is baffling, because lore was never a strong point in Underrail. How many ruined compounds with super-long-winded-Pillars-style-expositions-filled diaries and logs can you stuff in the sea? That's not what made the original Underrail such a great game. Styg or whoever wrote it all, I really don't want to read a book-length pile of pretentious scientists' dialogue from you. That's not what you're really good at.

(One line I just got - "Subhuman dissonance, awakening death", from hallucinations? Really? Yeah, I really look forward to finding out the big secret from a smartphone diary log at the bottom of the place filled with 20 pages of humanity must evolve [bzzt] the systems, malfunctioning [UNREADABLE] the xyz technology with abc subsystems and bcd protocols blah blah blah blah)
I don't get it. Why did you force yourself to read all the super-long-winded-exposition-filled diaries and logs if you don't want to? Reading them aren't essential to progress and finish the Expedition. At most, the big reading you gotta do is dialogue and conversation with NPCs, which has always been the stronger points of narrative aspect in Underrail, and the same is true for the DLC. In case you haven't noticed, the most important findings to get paid by the expedition is to find those coordinates which leads to more initially unknown facilities. Even if you don't find anything else other than coordinates, the Expedition members would still pay you if you at least just explore the facilities and report to them. For instances, at one point in the DLC I was unable to determine how to get rid of those vines overgrowing and blocking the console in Horticultural Center, so I leave and report to the Professor... and that's it. I get paid and the expedition carried on. And in case you haven't notice, the most crucial information are mostly contained in 1 single page log, like the info about the Acorn.

But if you dislike the premise of the Expedition team in general, then what did you honestly expected from doing an "expedition"? If that was what you truly feel, then why don't you go ahead and join the pirates when you had the chance, instead? I assume the pirates won't make you 'go to ruins, find a million loredumps'.

The puzzle is actually exceptionally easy it's just reading through all the terminal text is a giant pain in the dick to figure out what you actually have to do. Solving it is far easier than doing the Mutagen puzzle and requires less backtracking, but reading a giant wall of roleplay text in the terminal entries to figure out what you are supposed to do just takes the fun out of it
Hell, after doing them once, doing them the second time should even be a breeze. Just mark notes that are placed independently and see if they translate to a number. If not, carefully find the letters, but still no need to translate them all.

I went through the Joint Security Command place and now I'm stuck when it comes to the Abyssal Elevator. I have no clue where I need to go next and can't figure out how to get into the big LEMCO facility or the Quarry. Any help?
In the north east part of the map there is a submarine,you could get there trough the native geyser village. After you find it,play around in it and open the game,you have to go and talk with the ferryman to get to the lemco facility,after that you go there and use it to get down.
In case ItsChon need the exact coordinate:
It's the one for BSRF - Blistering Shore Research Facility, iirc it was L12 or something. Bring some fire proximity suit.
Did anyone managed to get level 5 chip and use the elevator in the health center?
The maximum is C-4 clearance for the microchip, and to get it you need Microchip Implant Encoder. I forgot where to find it exactly, but the description said it's manufactured by LEMCO.
Lemurian Health Center? I can't remember any instance where you had to use the microchip implant there, other than having it removed from the arm and planted inside your character's, but the elevator can only be activated by high Will character, while everyone else had to follow the shenanigans happening down there.
Quick question, been a long time since I''ve done Deep Caverns and they're coming up, is the Rathound Regalia going to be enough or should I see about whipping up some fancy boots and coat? Seriously, ever since I got that the game got so much easier.
If you're stealthy, should be enough. Craft good Black Tabi Boots to boost movement speed and stealth, or if you got some infused leather I think Infused Cave Hopper Leather + Black Cloth to further enhance movement speed + stealth beyond Rathound Regalia's capability.

Or do it like me and stop short before DC, make new characters instead and have fun with taking alternate routes in the DLC. With the new speed-up option or speedhack if you prefer, shouldn't take long to finish all the base game content up until the DLC is available.
Raise your hand if you remember when ventilation shafts used to be interesting.
Yeah, the ventilation shafts in literally every single Lemurian facility are rather... simplistic. You'd think they'd have more intricate and complex ventilation system to accommodate their mostly underwater facilities, as mentioned in-game even, but nope. Here's a couple of ventilation shafts with only one single linear paths. They're occasionally useful when gaining access into otherwise inaccessible rooms (either because the doors are locked or blocked by debris), but nothing amazing compared to regular ventilation system found in the base game.

ciox

Liturgist
I guess you need max Dex and throwing. So no Riot Armor. That's what I'll do anyway.
Figures, I won't be maxing Str and Dex while also keeping other necessary stats at a medium level like Agi (feats+mobility) and Con (melee needs health), I'll just keep doing the Psionic Hoplite thing.
Spears aren't that strong so I don't really think this had to be done - splitting spear builds into thrower/hoplite, but I'll have to respect the designers' choice here since it does create some extra build variety.

Also guys, where the heck is Razor after you join the pirates, I need to milk him for jetski feats and he's gone, GONE.

Candide

Educated
Btw where's that talkative native that doesn't attack on sight, that's another character I bumped into quite easily before but can't find now.
Look for a water passage/tunnel on the west side of the map. How do you get that character to not attack you? Do you need high intimidation? No matter what I've tried I've always ended up killing him.

Parabalus

Arcane
Btw where's that talkative native that doesn't attack on sight, that's another character I bumped into quite easily before but can't find now.
Look for a water passage/tunnel on the west side of the map. How do you get that character to not attack you? Do you need high intimidation? No matter what I've tried I've always ended up killing him.

High INT seems to be the answer, 8+ to get everything.

ciox

Liturgist
Thanks, brah. I actually never passed his check and am hoping to do it now.

Lol then I'm probably fucked because I aggro'd Aegis before getting Hypercerebrix from the doc.

ciox

Liturgist
Actually can someone help me out in pinpointing that native, I realised I explore the whole western area without finding him, where is he relative to say, the siphoner pools or that island with the giant spider lair?

Black Angel

Arcane
A flat 8 is enough to do the job. But still needs to carefully navigate the dialogue options to earn his trust. Easily one of my favorite part of the DLC, and suffice to say there are enough opportunities like this to make me satisfied.

Lol then I'm probably fucked because I aggro'd Aegis before getting Hypercerebrix from the doc.
Iirc I got it as a loot. If it was randomized, then it was really lucky find. If not,
you have (I estimate) one chance to craft at least one Hypercerebrix with the help of a Medical Synthesis Unit in the underwater substation.

Actually can someone help me out in pinpointing that native, I realised I explore the whole western area without finding him, where is he relative to say, the siphoner pools or that island with the giant spider lair?
There's an area in the map marked as Black Sea Grotto in the western part. It's somewhere north of Siphoner Pools, and you should find the entrance to the grotto north of creeper's lair/cave hopper island.

ciox

Liturgist
Nice, I finally found him in the Rapids/Grotto area, I didn't go there because it was very close to tribal territory and I recalled his location being further away from them...

Btw, you can also have a chat with him if you have high melee, a spear and possibly some spear combat feats like Impale, so that's nice, the dialogue where you're trying to communicate is very well done IMO, definitely a cool sequence.
He also likes you more if you wear the Rathound Regalia, for fairly obvious reasons.

Black Angel

Arcane
He also likes you more if you wear the Rathound Regalia, for fairly obvious reasons.
Dang, I don't get that exact dialogue and, instead, had the opportunity to tell him that Rathounds are delish. Probably because I used by big brain to talk with him, and it gave me an impression that dialogue when he interacted with our clothing would change based on what we wear. Guess I'll reload a save and try wearing my Cave Hopper Leather Armor.

No wonder they exiled him! Fucking Furry!
Ah yes, considering his entire tribes are fucking scalies.

Candide

Educated
Is the piece of the monolith you find related to that guy? I don't think I've used it anywhere.

Tigranes

Arcane
But the amount of focus on 'go to ruins, find a million loredumps' is baffling, because lore was never a strong point in Underrail. How many ruined compounds with super-long-winded-Pillars-style-expositions-filled diaries and logs can you stuff in the sea? That's not what made the original Underrail such a great game. Styg or whoever wrote it all, I really don't want to read a book-length pile of pretentious scientists' dialogue from you. That's not what you're really good at.

(One line I just got - "Subhuman dissonance, awakening death", from hallucinations? Really? Yeah, I really look forward to finding out the big secret from a smartphone diary log at the bottom of the place filled with 20 pages of humanity must evolve [bzzt] the systems, malfunctioning [UNREADABLE] the xyz technology with abc subsystems and bcd protocols blah blah blah blah)
I don't get it. Why did you force yourself to read all the super-long-winded-exposition-filled diaries and logs if you don't want to? Reading them aren't essential to progress and finish the Expedition. At most, the big reading you gotta do is dialogue and conversation with NPCs, which has always been the stronger points of narrative aspect in Underrail, and the same is true for the DLC. In case you haven't noticed, the most important findings to get paid by the expedition is to find those coordinates which leads to more initially unknown facilities. Even if you don't find anything else other than coordinates, the Expedition members would still pay you if you at least just explore the facilities and report to them. For instances, at one point in the DLC I was unable to determine how to get rid of those vines overgrowing and blocking the console in Horticultural Center, so I leave and report to the Professor... and that's it. I get paid and the expedition carried on. And in case you haven't notice, the most crucial information are mostly contained in 1 single page log, like the info about the Acorn.

But if you dislike the premise of the Expedition team in general, then what did you honestly expected from doing an "expedition"? If that was what you truly feel, then why don't you go ahead and join the pirates when you had the chance, instead? I assume the pirates won't make you 'go to ruins, find a million loredumps'.

I didn't read them all. And this isn't some raging OMG THIS GAME IS WORST EVAR - Underrail's status as one of the best CRPGs stands. As you could see, my larger point was that some of the new design decisions taken with Expeditions, in my view, don't improve on the game; the expansion tends to either just add more of what's there, or add stuff that's not awful but not really a step forward (e.g. swarms).

My full post also explicitly stated that whereas the narrations and diary logs are boring, Underrail's writing has always shined in actual conversations with NPCs. Did you read the post? Because you're repeating it almost word for word.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Uwu, I had to spend a full levelup worth of skillpoints on Persuation to get what I wanted and still didnt fully get it. Underrail is now an official ARRR PEE GEE.
At least I got a jetski, then again I actually wanted to kill my way up to it... should have started with Razors scooter and did, but reloaded xD

SPOILERS

What happens if you give the technicians walkie-talkie to Marcus early and dont keep it?
I assume the plot plays out the same, you are just not a suspect anymore and dont have to do the unthinkable and drop the talkie to the ground when it matters...

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
If you one-shot the Hive you'll only face one wave of locusts, easy with cryo-orb as PSI.
Define easy, I never did more than 800 dmg to them. Need more skillpoints in 'thermics probably.
And cryorb is fairly unreliable, I cant place it in such a way where it does its max dmg.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ah, I see that the 1.0.1.12 update contained a massive, across-the-board nerf to Spear Throw.

Worse than the immense damage nerf was the nerf to the AP cost specialization. 25 -> 10 was worth specializing for, but 25 -> 16? For fuck's sake. You are now restricted to using TiChrome spears and adrenaline shots in order to get the most out of it, efficiency-wise, whereas before you could do a throw and two attacks (at full spec) with any spears and without an adrenaline shot.

Also, Spear Throw is one of the aspects of this new weapon that really helps to make spears attractive and cool, so yeah let's fuck it up because it do lot of damage, oh no HELP!

Normally I don't bitch too much about nerfs, but this one is absolutely harebrained.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Ah, I see that the 1.0.1.12 update contained a massive, across-the-board nerf to Spear Throw.

Worse than the immense damage nerf was the nerf to the AP cost specialization. 25 -> 10 was worth specializing for, but 25 -> 16? For fuck's sake. You are now restricted to using TiChrome spears and adrenaline shots in order to get the most out of it, efficiency-wise, whereas before you could do a throw and two attacks (at full spec) with any spears and without an adrenaline shot.

Also, Spear Throw is one of the aspects of this new weapon that really helps to make spears attractive and cool, so yeah let's fuck it up because it do lot of damage, oh no HELP!

Normally I don't bitch too much about nerfs, but this one is absolutely harebrained.
Especially because it's not like spears are ZOMG OP. A spear user is insanely exposed to ranged/psi.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It seemed pretty meh for all the trouble went trough sneaking past the pirates. It just gave me some vision and that was all.
Where is the opening point where you can sneak into the pirate base? I'm trying to find it to make the trek to the monolith but I see nothing.

EDIT: Has anyone found the
Phantom Dancer armor
yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom