Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
  • Enemies have more health and deal more damange.
Do they also have the same AI? Tough question, huh.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just because she's describing her doesn't mean she wrote her.

Seems extremely strange to interview specific designers about characters they're not actually in charge of writing, but I guess that happened. Did Dollarhyde just not want to talk to them???

For a while Starks was doing tons of publicity. Maybe she’s just better with the press (she’s very good on video...). Also she’s higher on the totem pole, at least for this particular project.

The Real Fanboy
I totally adore Nyoka's two tone neon eye makeup (it's hard to tell if it's just neon or it has glitter but
g0gRYio.png
it) and it's making me super excited to see what palettes and accents I can use with their makeup tools!

zSEYAoh.png
ttC7THa.png
xAzVjYk.png

Someone at Obsidian was so on trend when they designed her lewk!

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I totally adore Nyoka's two tone neon eye makeup (it's hard to tell if it's just neon or it has glitter but
g0gRYio.png
it) and it's making me super excited to see what palettes and accents I can use with their makeup tools!

zSEYAoh.png
ttC7THa.png
xAzVjYk.png

Get lost, Lindsey.

Codex Year of the Donut
the best part of being able to kill everyone means I can kill all the shit companions
you can't kill companions, only send them away.
Supernova is the hardest difficulty option in The Outer Worlds.

• You can only select this difficulty option at the start of the game.
  • If you reduce the difficulty below supernova you cannot re-enable it.
  • Enemies have more health and deal more damange.
  • You must eat, drink and sleep to survive.
  • Companions can die permanently.
  • Crippled body and limb conditions can only be healed with bed rest.
  • Weapons and armor work very poorly at zero durability
  • You can only fast travel to your ship.
  • You can only sleep inside.
  • You can only manually save inside your ship and autosaves are limited, compared to the other difficulty options.

Quillon

Arcane

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
g0gRYio.png

zSEYAoh.png
ttC7THa.png
xAzVjYk.png

Fiki fiki???

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Shit saving system. Resource based saving (like in KCD) or limited saves are the best of both worlds without going to the extremes: autosaving after everything you do or quicksaving whenever you want which leads to savescumming.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Balanced preview from Newsweek, not sure if someone posted this already:

https://www.newsweek.com/outer-worlds-preview-impressions-hands-review-obsidian-1452343

explains why the PlayStation preview of the early game is so much better than the other videos that take place later in the game.

So it's what i expected. While combat can be decent or acceptable it's pales in comparison with talking with NPCs in dialogue therefore it's generic and bland. It's Obsidian game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Shit saving system. Resource based saving (like in KCD) or limited saves are the best of both worlds without going to the extremes: autosaving after everything you do or quicksaving whenever you want which leads to savescumming.
Not really,they should be an options,not everyone is a fucking tryhard like you mate. Some people have life to live and don't have 50 hours to replay the same stupid segment 20 times because the game is buggy or cheap.

AwesomeButton

Patron

https://www.newsweek.com/outer-worlds-preview-impressions-hands-review-obsidian-1452343

explains why the PlayStation preview of the early game is so much better than the other videos that take place later in the game.
So, why is it better?

BTW, who would have thought, an actually well-written preview which says combat sucks. I thought these were just the unsubstantiated rants of pretentious codexers. What a shock.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Not really,they should be an options,not everyone is a fucking tryhard like you mate. Some people have life to live and don't have 50 hours to replay the same stupid segment 20 times because the game is buggy or cheap.
It wasn't a problem in KCD and if you go with limited saves then they can be generous and allow quite a few.
The game is not open world so they could allow for 30 saves or so per map. I assume they won't be huge and by having multiple approaches anyway it won't create drama. Stealth, diplomacy, disguises, combat, TTD etc. Like is said, best of both worlds. I don't know about you but I hate autosave/checkpoints with all my heart. I don't know of a single game that benefited from that trash console cancer. Give me manual/quick/limited/resource based saving anytime, anyway.

Codex Year of the Donut
Limited save systems are retarded. I don't feel like losing 45 minutes of time because I had a major issue come in at work and had to get working on it ASAP.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It wasn't a problem in KCD
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigga the first mod was the unlimited saves.
9b2dHgA.png

Here is just a single one of those save mods,there is plenty more lol. Most people decided to play with saves and only tryhards played it as intended. Making it not an option was stupid thing to do in my eyes,the game is a lot better with free saves.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I played it as intended. No drama, no lost progress or anything. Always had more than enough. If I could do it so can you. Also I don't care about pleb mods.
So far KCD, in my opinion, did it best. Craftable resource.

biggestboss

Liturgist
IIRC, people were so pissed off about the resource based save system that Chad Vavra was forced to patch in a Save on Quit feature a la Dark Souls, etc.

Quillon

Arcane

So, why is it better?

It doesn't explain anything, just says what most other previewers said that Obs didn't want the character creation spoiled which they themselves spilled the beans months ago(that the scientist swaps between hundreds of cryopods to choose who to revive, comments on stuff as we configure our initial stats etc.)

Prolly Edgewater looks better cos it simply does look better :P Its on a greener maybe tropical location while Monarch's brown & wastelandish that most people abandoned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom