Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Balanced preview from Newsweek, not sure if someone posted this already:

https://www.newsweek.com/outer-worlds-preview-impressions-hands-review-obsidian-1452343

explains why the PlayStation preview of the early game is so much better than the other videos that take place later in the game.
So, why is it better?

BTW, who would have thought, an actually well-written preview which says combat sucks. I thought these were just the unsubstantiated rants of pretentious codexers. What a shock.

It's part of the early game that the author obliquely raves about without revealing any details. The playstation video has a higher ratio of dialogue to combat, whereas many of the other videos we saw just had people running around Monarch killing stuff. I understand why they decided to show mid-game side-quest content to all these journalists--they didn't want to spoil the story and they know they need to get the popamole audience on board. Still, the result is that they put their worst foot forward. Imagine if Boyarsky had released a long gameplay trailer for Bloodlines and it was 90% combat.

Plus, the narrative in the playstation footage hits a lot harder because you're coming in at the beginning of the story, so you have most of the context you need to both understand what's going on and connect with the characters. In the Monarch footage, a lot of journos did Nyoka's companion quest, but it's hard for that stuff to resonate if you don't know who the companion is or how they ended up in your party. Nyoka wants to get closure by burying her former colleagues... okay, who the fuck is Nyoka?

The Playstation video shows you meeting Parvati. She comes with you on a quest that I thought looked pretty solid. Her interjections all make sense because you've seen the beginning of her story. I think that makes a big difference.

The Real Fanboy
oU0rvXQ.png

That's pretty cute! They managed to make them lewk unique by just changing the skin tone, texture, makeup, hair and accessories even tho they share similar facial features

Quillon

Arcane
BTW, who would have thought, an actually well-written preview which says combat sucks. I thought these were just the unsubstantiated rants of pretentious codexers. What a shock.

If only Obs added more recoil to those guns, this journo would have been in love with the combat but now he just finds it generic
rating_negativeman.png

Efe

Erudite
mini poll:
how much does this game cost in your region? how many loaves of bread you can buy with it?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
"Coming online"? Oh no. Time to panic, guys, they're turning TOW into a GAAS game!

jf8350143

Liturgist
mini poll:
how much does this game cost in your region? how many loaves of bread you can buy with it?
10 ¥ for me, 5 if you did't get the XGP before, could buy half a loaves of bread if you are lucky.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Related PAX West panels:

https://west.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/bringing-the-characters-of-the-outer-worlds-to-life

Bringing the Characters of The Outer Worlds to Life
  • SAT 08/31 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
  • RAVEN THEATRE
Obsidian Entertainment has a long history of building narratively compelling worlds and characters for its RPGs, and that style of writing is on full display in The Outer Worlds. Megan Starks (Senior Narrative Designer), Carrie Patel (Senior Narrative Designer), and Kate Dollarhyde (Narrative Designer) break down what it means to create characters for the game from how they should fit in the world, what their personality should be, how they should interact with other characters, and how to give them life with a performance. Moderated by Andrea Rene, Co-Founder of What’s Good Games, this panel will explore how Obsidian Entertainment writers go about bringing their characters to life, and will show off an exclusive look at what players can expect to see and do when Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division release The Outer Worlds on October 25.

https://west.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/real-science-in-games-taking-the-fiction-out-of-sci-fi

Real Science in Games: Taking the Fiction Out of Sci-fi
  • FRI 08/30 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
  • SASQUATCH THEATRE
Video games often take us to fantastic, imaginative places, but just how out of this world are they? This panel explores how developers use real science concepts to inspire their designs and create worlds that feel authentic. Panel guests include designers, creatives, and researchers from a variety of sci-fi-based games, moderated by popular space education streamer DasValdez.

PANELISTS
Aku Jauhiainen [CEO, Fakefish Games], Adam Bromell [Creative Director, System Era], DasValdez [Space/Educational Streamer, DasValdez], Megan Starks [Senior Narrative Designer, Obsidian]

Quillon

Arcane

Ship name revealed in the last video @7:16 "The Unreliable" :P /flashback to that malfunctioning little drawbridge in the reveal trailer

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Matt's interview had quite important confirmation, the dev confirmed that you can complete the game as a pacifist. I think Tim heard people asking a lot if would be possible to do a pacifist run during their interviews and actually add to the game. Or maybe not idk.

Edit: The last video was deleted.. :C

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Ship name revealed in the last video @7:16 "The Unreliable" :P /flashback to that malfunctioning little drawbridge in the reveal trailer

*Every developer's dream is to work on an original IP. Only at Obsidian we will have managed to squander two three chances of that.*
*Mention Tyranny as "our own IP"*

Focused on honing our gunplay
:nocountryforshitposters:

I welcome all the promises of dark humor and irony, they seem to be the only thing that can save this game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom