Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Kingmaker not only making it on the list, but in top 15.
Still seething over slavic gamedev slowly eating out all Obsidians fanbase alive?

No, I'm quite happy Kingmaker sold so well, because it exposed all the RTwP loving primitives who were previously hiding their plebeian tastes.

RTwP is completely superior to the Outer Worlds garbage that you white-knight now. And also to the NV garbage, since it's the same garbage.

SniperHF

Arcane
Novelty factor. Look at many of the newer games in the 2014 version(~5 years within 2014) vs now, nearly all of them fell like a rock.
AP -21 ranks
DA:O -10 ranks
KotC -31 ranks
Witcher 2: -32 ranks
Deus Ex HR: -22 ranks
Drakensang TRoT: -33 ranks
Risen: -55 ranks(!)
Skyrim: -17 ranks
Path of Exile: -40 ranks
Grimrock: -66 ranks(!)

Not completely, but mostly for the better.
Probably a good indication some of the current flavors of the month(or last couple years) will drop a bit next time. though at least most of the current favorites are more serious RPGs than Twitcher 2, Skyrim, DX:HR, PoE, and AP. And TW2 has TW3 taking votes.

PB competes against itself with Risen, if there were more points to award I'd have given it 1 or 2 probably.
Maybe KotC will see a revival with the release on major platforms and sequel/toolset thing.

The River of Time does some neat things (particularly at a time when there wasn't much else to play) but damn it was just boring.

Darkforge

Augur
Wait.. what. You have Dark Souls II here and the vastly superior Demon Souls not on the list at all. (yeah ok it was ps3 only but fuck it.) WTF am I reading.
Also DS-II is the worst in the series. Level design is practically a series of square rooms.

Actually why the fuck are these fromsoft games here at all? and Oblivion .... woeful

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Very surprised and pleased to see Elminage mentioned in this list.

Was just about to come sperg out in here in futile autistic butthurt from seeing so many non-RPGs (like Nier: Automata, I game I like a lot but which has no place on a list like this), but thankfully managed to scroll down enough to see the entry of Elminage: Gothic before coming to the comments.

BTW, from the Wizards & Warriors entry: "For everyone who's ever gotten frustrated with Wizardry's painfully slow battles, Wizards & Warriors will be a revelation."

Might want to change that to specify that you meant Wizardry 8's combat, since one of the hallmarks of Wizardry's combat is actually its fast speed of resolution, and much faster than W&W for that matter.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wait.. what. You have Dark Souls II here and the vastly superior Demon Souls not on the list at all. (yeah ok it was ps3 only but fuck it.) WTF am I reading.
Also DS-II is the worst in the series. Level design is practically a series of square rooms.

Actually why the fuck are these fromsoft games here at all? and Oblivion .... woeful

This is a PC list, no console stuff that hasn't been at least ported is allowed

Cross

Arcane
Subjective preferences aside, there are legitimate issues with this RPG list.

What is a game like Human Revolution even doing in this list? It's not an RPG, even when judged by the lowly standards of action-RPGs. There is no real progression, since all of Jensen's relevant abilities are already unlocked from the start of the game: regenerating health, regenerating bio-energy, a radar system that pinpoints where enemies are, the ability to aim accurately, perform takedowns, hack computers, etc.

Yet at the same time, an action-RPG like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, where you can't even equip weapons and armor unless you invest skill points into the requisite skills first, is absent from the list.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane

What is a game like Human Revolution even doing in this list? It's not an RPG, even when judged by the lowly standards of action-RPGs. There is no real progression, since all of Jensen's relevant abilities are already unlocked from the start of the game: regenerating health, regenerating bio-energy, a radar system that pinpoints where enemies are, the ability to aim accurately, perform takedowns, hack computers, etc.

Yet at the same time, an action-RPG like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, where you can't even equip weapons and armor unless you invest skill points into the requisite skills first, is absent from the list.
Console retards want their mediocre console action games on the list. See #15 as well.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

Fuck you. Human Revolution is an RPG, and a good one at that. Should've been higher.

Direct your hate to Witcher 3 instead.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Role playing games are about narratives that react to your decisions. In DM, as far as I can tell, it's just a choice between Good Girl and Bad Girl.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Have you considered running a poll for particular types of crpgs? It could bring attention to very solid titles that otherwise would remain obscure. Reviews are instrumental in this, since it's very hard to find information about how some obscure game actually plays. If you were to run a poll on 20 best party-based tactical rpgs, for example, many of us might discover some real gems from the bygone era. On the other hand, there are practically no roguelikes on the list, because many people consider them an entirely separate genre.

WHY ARE THERE NO ROGUELIKES ON THIS LIST. WHERE IS ANCIENT DOMAINS OF MYSTERY.

/autism
TALES OF MAJ'EYAL IS A ROGUELIKE< THE BEST OF ALL ROGUELIKES FIGHT ME BRO

And I would like to do votes on special categories like roguelikes, blobbers, tacticool, infinity engine clone, etc... the problem is that there are many categories, some are very hard to define, and some games don't fit well on any.

Like, do you put KOTOR2 together with Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, FTL and 7.62 High Calibre as "Real-Time with Pause RPG"?

Zer0wing

Cipher
And I would like to do votes on special categories like roguelikes, blobbers, tacticool, infinity engine clone, etc... the problem is that there are many categories, some are very hard to define, and some games don't fit well on any.

Like, do you put KOTOR2 together with Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, FTL and 7.62 High Calibre as "Real-Time with Pause RPG"?
That's because you need to split by different categories, i.e. storyfag, gameplayfag that splits to TB and RT faggotry respectively, isometricfag, thirdpersonfag, first-personfag, you know what I'm meaning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom