Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Melcar

Arcane
Back in junior high we would often get together after school to trade game manuals and magazine guides.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But devs who publish on Steam are theoretically allowed to publish anywhere else, too. GoG, itch.io, their own fucking website.

Some indie devs who are on Steam still sell their game directly over their own website too.

If a game is only on Steam and nowhere else, the only one to blame is the developer and no-one else.

Epic exclusivity deals are to be blamed entirely on Epic (well, and on a developer who plays along and lets himself be seduced by Epic bribes).

If you originally plan to release only on your own website and GoG, then decide to also release on Steam, Steam won't force you to cancel the other release platforms.

Epic pays developers to cancel other release platforms that were already confirmed, which includes Steam AND GoG.

Black Angel

Arcane
My number one dream, and I know I don't share this with many, and that is going back to CDROM, DVD cases with manuals and all.
Unfortunately, going down that road means a lot, if not ALL, of indie titles, such as Age of Decadence and Underrail, won't even have a slight chance of showing up in physical shelves. And this is especially true when consider getting the game to go physical in a third world country like mine, thousands of miles away from where these devs whose products worth their salt, ingenuity and also integrity, are based on.
A lot of Epic cucks really haven't gotten this into the thick skull of theirs, but they aren't the only customers out there for these kind of products. There are more people out there than Epic cucks in existence who won't be able to gain easy access, with reasonable price to video games, without Steam. And then at the same time they'll scream at the pirates for not giving money to lowlife douchescum developers, and that's not even considering their products may not even worth pirating.
But devs who publish on Steam are theoretically allowed to publish anywhere else, too. GoG, itch.io, their own fucking website.

Some indie devs who are on Steam still sell their game directly over their own website too.

If a game is only on Steam and nowhere else, the only one to blame is the developer and no-one else.

Epic exclusivity deals are to be blamed entirely on Epic (well, and on a developer who plays along and lets himself be seduced by Epic bribes).

If you originally plan to release only on your own website and GoG, then decide to also release on Steam, Steam won't force you to cancel the other release platforms.

Epic pays developers to cancel other release platforms that were already confirmed, which includes Steam AND GoG.
You don't understand, if a developer doesn't want to sell their games on GOG or their games get rejected by them, it means those game are Steam exclusive, you Steamtard!!!!11!!!!!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
GoG's curation is one more argument against the "HURRRRR STEAM EXCLUSIVES HURRRRRRRR"

Yeah if the second-biggest platform after Steam curates its content and refuses games that look decent enough - including stuff like Grimoire, Vigilantes, etc - then it's not Steam's fault that the games are "exclusive".

Sure, the devs could also set up their own website and sell the game there, but:
- it costs money to run a server and host your game there
- barely anyone will know about your game that way because indie dev websites aren't well-frequented storefronts

Steam's no-curation policy means that many games that would never even have seen the light of day can now be found very easily.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
WTF are you talking about? It's BECAUSE of Steam that most AAA games can't be bought where I want (GOG) or on other clients.
Do you want to buy triple-A GAMES on GOG? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Seriously. Did that guy just blame steam for games not being released on gog?

I swear, this thread just reaches new levels of stupid everyday.

There's a point where you have to realise that repeating the absolutely obvious for the n-th time is pointless and the people you're talking to actually are just retarded.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
it costs money to run a server and host your game there
I don't think that it cost that much for an indi site,at least back in the good old day it didn't. You could use your normal pc as a server for a low traffic site,all that you pay is the 24/7 electricity bill.

For GoG....well i have no idea why they kick off games that their main consumer base is interested but publish games that nobody really care about. Must be the brainfart of some millennial PR retard,for branching out and growing,etc etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What are you babbling about? I would prefer if all games went to ALL stores, to be buy-able on all platforms and at third party sellers. My number one dream, and I know I don't share this with many, and that is going back to CDROM, DVD cases with manuals and all. The only thing I was pointing out is that you can buy incredible cheap keys from third party sites, which to my knowledge EPIC do not allow. Not GOG either for that matter.

Epic keys actually are sold on other stores. I just saw Sinking City on the Humble Store earlier today. How frequently they go on sale, I don't know. Anyway my point was I said "getting games from any site you want hasn't been the case in a long time" and you seemed to disagree with that except for rare cases like EA's own games on Origin. I'm just trying to tell you it's not rare, I have to go through Steam or another client the vast majority of the time, because most "big" games don't release on client-free, DRM-free websites like GOG. I can't get them where I want either.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Epic's Statement on Misinformation & Abuse
We at Epic Games have often shared our views about the game business and companies in it, and we support the entire game community’s right to speak freely and critically about these topics, including the topic of Epic, our products, and our store. When everyone shares their earnest views, the best ideas ultimately prevail.

The announcement of Ooblets highlighted a disturbing trend which is growing and undermining healthy public discourse, and that’s the coordinated and deliberate creation and promotion of false information, including fake screenshots, videos, and technical analysis, accompanied by harassment of partners, promotion of hateful themes, and intimidation of those with opposing views.

Epic is working together with many game developers and other partners to build what we believe will be a healthier and more competitive multi-store world for the future. We remain fully committed, and we will steadfastly support our partners throughout these challenges. Many thanks to all of you that continue to promote and advocate for healthy, truthful discussion about the games business and stand up to all manners of abuse.

So it begins...

"Hi recently a developer signed an exclusivity deal with EGS and then acted like twats about it and then our CEO acted like a twat about it and then we all got internet harassed. We encourage our media partners to let everybody know that criticizing EGS or Tim Sweeney or devs who take our money and act like twats about it is alt-right nazi gamergater behaviour and should not be allowed. Any screenshots you see of developers or Tim Sweeney being twats are probably lies. No, we're not going to say which ones. Screenshots of us being twats are a form of harassment anyway. We look forward to nobody being able to criticize EGS on a mainstream gaming website from here on out. Thank you!"

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And where is that discussion? Also another log on the fire that gamers are scum of the earth and devs are angels that do no wrong.

Syme

Arbiter
We at Epic Games have often shared our views about the game business and companies in it, and we support the entire game community’s right to speak freely and critically about these topics, including the topic of Epic, our products, and our store. When everyone shares their earnest views, the best ideas ultimately prevail.

The announcement of Ooblets highlighted a disturbing trend which is growing and undermining healthy public discourse, and that’s the coordinated and deliberate creation and promotion of false information, including fake screenshots, videos, and technical analysis, accompanied by harassment of partners, promotion of hateful themes, and intimidation of those with opposing views.

Epic is working together with many game developers and other partners to build what we believe will be a healthier and more competitive multi-store world for the future. We remain fully committed, and we will steadfastly support our partners throughout these challenges. Many thanks to all of you that continue to promote and advocate for healthy, truthful discussion about the games business and stand up to all manners of abuse.

So it begins...

"Hi recently a developer signed an exclusivity deal with EGS and then acted like twats about it and then our CEO acted like a twat about it and then we all got internet harassed. We encourage our media partners to let everybody know that criticizing EGS or Tim Sweeney or devs who take our money and act like twats about it is alt-right nazi gamergater behaviour and should not be allowed. Any screenshots you see of developers or Tim Sweeney being twats are probably lies. No, we're not going to say which ones. Screenshots of us being twats are a form of harassment anyway. We look forward to nobody being able to criticize EGS on a mainstream gaming website from here on out. Thank you!"

I'm amazed it took them that long. Usually it's gamers are shit and words are violence from the get-go.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Leftists are in tough spot, agreeing with Trump or defending "gaymers".

wlG6quC.jpg

So it begins...

:hahyou:

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Truth be told, the devs of Ooblets being condescending and talking about their consumers the way they are made wonders in spreading the name of their game. I've never heard of the game before this debacle. Neither has anybody I've asked.

That being said, how many people are inclined to buy it after that is a whole another story.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There are two principal differences between Steam "exclusives" and EGS exclusives:
1) They are "exclusive" to the platform, not the store. As has been said numerous times in this thread - but Epictards chose to conveniently ignore - the devs can generate any number of Steam keys and sell them anywhere at any commission rate with Steam not getting a single cent from these transactions. If Epic really only cared about the revenue split, nothing would have stopped them from entering a partnership with Valve and selling Steam keys at 12% commision.
2) The devs are not contractually obliged to keep their games platform exclusive. If there is enough demand, the fans may very well convince them to consider other platforms - which already happened to a few Codex darlings. 99% of the games not available on GOG aren't there because either a) the devs want a DRM; or b) GOG has rejected them - and in neither case Steam is to blame.

And as said before, none of this is relevant.

Technically of course there is a difference. However, for the user there really isn't.
All this "but they're not obliged to keep their games there" is just like saying "go to sleep, tomorrow will be better". Just useless, pointless shit. It doesn't matter they're not obliged to if they're still doing it.
Furthermore, an Epic exclusivity deal will expire and it's almost guaranteed that game will be released on other platforms. A retarded dev who doesn't want to use anything but Steam will never sell anywhere else. No matter how many Steamtards keep repeating the same retarded "but they're allowed to sell wherever they want" shit.

I really can't see how having 1 year exclusives is worse than having forever exclusives.

Also, yes, technically Valve is not to blame (if we don't go into the monopoly discussion), but who the fuck cares? It's only Steamtards that make it about who's to blame instead of the end result. Which is IDENTICAL, that is being forced to use one client for specific games. That is the only thing that matters. Not about who is to blame. But also Steamtards claim they have hearts of gold and they only care about the users. How is this caring about the users?

Then of course, Valve is not to blame for this, but only Epic is to blame for exclusivity deals?

Like here:

Really?

Developers sell only on Steam -> blame the developers
Developers sell for 1 year only on Epic -> blame Epic

:retarded:

Also is it entirely Epic or maybe the developers are to blame too? You don't seem to be able to decide.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget about stuff like The Outer Worlds which Steamtards still call an Epic exclusive even thought it will be released on the Microsoft Store too. Clear proof that all Steamtards care about is if games are not released on Steam. Previously seen with KOTC for example which Steamtards couldn't buy cuz "hurr not on muh store don't have acheesements also dont know how to use payment online looooool".
Basically if it's not on Steam, it "splits the market" according to Steamtards. But noooooo, they don't think this makes Steam a monopoly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Like here:

Really?

Developers sell only on Steam -> blame the developers
Developers sell for 1 year only on Epic -> blame Epic

:retarded:

Also is it entirely Epic or maybe the developers are to blame too? You don't seem to be able to decide.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget about stuff like The Outer Worlds which Steamtards still call an Epic exclusive even thought it will be released on the Microsoft Store too. Clear proof that all Steamtards care about is if games are not released on Steam. Previously seen with KOTC for example which Steamtards couldn't buy cuz "hurr not on muh store don't have acheesements also dont know how to use payment online looooool".
Basically if it's not on Steam, it "splits the market" according to Steamtards. But noooooo, they don't think this makes Steam a monopoly.

Yeah keep throwing me in the "steamtard" pot when I have repeatedly said in the thread that the removal of games from Good old fucking Games along with Steam in the case of confirmed GoG releases when the dev took the Epic exclusivity deal is what makes it even worse.

I've also been angry at GoG and butthurt for them refusing to take some cool games into their catalogue. I even made a thread where we list decent RPGs that were rejected by GoG's retarded curation.

So hey, yeah, there literally are games out there where the developer wanted to release on GoG, but their curators rejected the game, therefore the game is a Steam "exlusive" and the fault is not with Steam but with other stores that curate more heavily than Steam.

If other stores were as easily accessible for developers as Steam, the whole "monopoly" case wouldn't be as pronounced.

But as long as Steam stays the only noteworthy store that doesn't have curation, there will be many cases of "exclusivity". It's only Steam's "fault" as in Steam being the only store that would even take these games.
And I'm not just talking about RPG Maker trash or cheap Unity asset flips. I'm talking about decent and creative indie games, like Grimoire, Das Geisterschiff, Vigilantes, Legends of Amberland - games the Codex cares about.

There's also itch.io, which Grimoire and Das Geisterschiff released on in addition to Steam. It's a small store with little reach, mostly meant for indie games with a manageable download size (nothing above 5 gigs or so), but it exists and I appreciate when games release on it, since it's just as DRM-free as GoG and just as curation-free as Steam.

As for KotC, people have been urging Pierre to release it on Steam not just for their own convenience, but so that the guy can finally make some fucking money off his game because he has been consistently retarded when it comes to financial decisions. He even rejected publishing it on GoG when GoG told him that they'd take KotC, but not Battle of the Sands, his shitty Dune 2 clone nobody cared about. What the actual fuck, Pierre.

Also, the more stores a game is on, the better.
If it's not on Steam, it should be.
If it's not on GoG, it should be.
If it's not on itch.io, it should be.
If the dev has his own website where he sells it directly, even better.

Personally I prefer Steam as it's the client on which I have the largest amount of games, but I also buy GoG games occasionally to get that sweet DRM-free installer or when the game is GoG-exclusive (like with Wizards and Warriors, excellent RPG), I have bought some games from itch.io which weren't available anywhere else, and I've bought games straight from the developer's website (like Teudogar), so don't put me in the same bucket as those mythical "steamtards" you keep referring to.

Ideally, every game would be available on every platform, allowing the customer the highest amount of choice in where to get it from. Each platform has its positives and negatives, and every customer has his own preferences.

Epic Store doesn't have any positives, only negatives. It's basically a clone of Steam... from 15 years ago, because it's missing all the features Steam added to its client since then, and it's more hostile towards the customer than Steam ever was.

And enough alternative stores exist that Steam "exclusivity" (which is never enforced by Valve) is always the decision of the developer.

Yes, Epic exclusivity isn't purely Epic's responsibility. After all, a dev could tell them to fuck off when they come with their bribe. But if a developer accepts that bribe after already promising other storefronts (usually Steam and GoG) in a Kickstarter or during pre-release hype, he's a fucking asshole developer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Also, you keep harping on about how so many games are Steam "exclusives", but what exactly is Epic doing to fix that?

Last time I checked, Epic was also a curated store, rather than one where every halfway decent indie developer can freely put up his game.

Dexter

Arcane
Having said that, I don't hold to this nonsense that Epic are subverting the free market by taking on the debt of a few Indi developers. If the games don't sell, Epic loses money and will be less inclined to support them again. The consumer has just as much power as they did last week, though the developer is less likely to realise how precarious their position in this arrangement is until its too late.
The Free Market principle is based on Supply & Demand. Someone thinks out/makes/develops a product that there seems to be high demand for, puts it on the market and reaps the monetary rewards as the demand makes the product fly off the shelves into the hands of consumers. What Epic is doing is closer to Patronage and does indeed "subvert the Free Market", as a product in that case needs only one customer, which is Tim Sweeney, to be commercially successful. It's kind of like eccentric billionaires or millionaires buying shitty paintings without inherent worth off starving artists because "they want to help". This might be good for the developers (or maybe not in the long-run), but it's definitely bad for consumers as it distorts market realities, murks/obfuscates consumer choice and the consequences thereof. It might also blow up in Epic's face in the long run, but for now whatever they do, they still have their Fortnite cash to draw on.

I also wonder about manuals coming back, i still remember that article about a teacher giving college students an assignment to play Ultima IV and almost no one read the manuals, they didn't know it was required nor really wanted to read manuals, La-Mulana was a game with information required to beat the game in the manual and so few people even looked at the thing they had to look at walkthroughs or guess everything and that was such a failure La-Mulana 2 doesn't require the manual because who reads those anymore?
I used to study game manuals lengthily back in the day, I remember spending weeks or months looking up shit for Ultima Online or just reading some of them for fun. But let's be honest, games are an interactive visual medium and not books, and you shouldn't be forced to study 100+ page Technical manuals to figure out games in this day and age. There's no reason not to explain the most important game systems in the game itself or by Tutorial and let the player(s) learn by doing and as the difficulty curve progresses. It's just lazy/bad game design. One of the reasons I didn't really get the "When does the Grimoire manual release?" Meme, outside of it being a Meme. Even as someone that's not that much into Blobbers it was easy enough to pick up and intuit most of it while playing through the game and there really wasn't a need for a manual to play the game. Oh, it's also easy to release a "game manual" nowadays as a PDF in the game download, the reason most don't do this is probably because they realize most people don't actually read them and it'd be a bad decision to hide critical stuff in there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom