Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3: Combat System Poll

What combat system should BG3 employ?

• RTwP or you are a heretic.

Votes: 45 24.6%
  • Turn-based of course. You must be new around here.

Votes: 80 43.7%
  • Both RTwP and TB modes. "It's all about player choice (TM)."

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • First person action combat like Godd Howard intended.

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Third person action combat with stamina restriction. BG is the new Dark Souls.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • VN

Votes: 18 9.8%

• Total voters

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's say BG3 is the Notre Dame church in Paris, and Larian as the retard in charge of the restoration - given the job because of family connections. They'll either go down the route of making it modernist (glass roof - like Dragon Age) or, they'll commit sacrilege (Islamic spire). But hoping they'll go back to traditional roots (and that they have the skill to do so) may be asking a bit much.

FF7 isn't totally throwing the baby out with the bathwater; so maybe there's a sliver of hope?. I expect it'll be some kind of bastardized version of RTWP or TB though, and not commited to either.

Jeru

Novice
Just commit to either RTwP or TB ONLY and make it GOOD + game designed around this ONE mode.

I sadly expect them going for both and having TB & RTwP at same time and switchable between them with a button.

DraQ

Arcane
Party based? Check.
Presumably related to existing PnP ruleset (this being not the way to do cRPGs (TM) doesn't really matter here)? Check.
No prior existing records of RTWP being ever done competently by anyone? Check.
Larian being sort of competent at TB systems (fuck-ups aside)? Check.

Conclusion? Duh.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
It will be both. Of course Larian will reuse the TB system from their Divinity games but with a RTWP to appease the BG fans. It will be the reverse of what Obsidian did with PoE2, whent they added TB after RTWP

I'm all for turn-based as preferential option, but I wouldn't really call RTWP a deal-breaker. Just a sub-optimal solution.
The only ones I'd love to slap around are the ones of you who picked "both", because if the history of gaming taught us something is that there are very few things worse than trying to split your effort into two half-assed systems rather than focusing on getting one right.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I had no problems with RTwP in the Infinity Engine era, but those game didn't have MMO combat mechanics. So now that I'm older, I prefer turn based combat if designed competently (and not an afterthough like in PoE2).

Voids

Augur
I expect it'll be TB. It's what Larian knows and it allows for them to implement multiplayer more easily.

Last edited:

Thalion

Novice
As long as there is no level scaling and random loot I will be happy with just about anything.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
You guys are going to be so disappointed when it turns out to be QTE for all combat and dialog.

Mustawd

Just commit to either RTwP or TB ONLY and make it GOOD + game designed around this ONE mode.

I sadly expect them going for both and having TB & RTwP at same time and switchable between them with a button.

Agree

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom