Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I find your faith in the curative powers of the EE editions somewhat amusing myself.
Why? More than half the engine was rewritten.

Besides, what's the problem to just install it and give it a try? Looks like some kind of psychological problem to me.

chuft

Augur
You realize the 2.6 patch (for a 2012 game) is overdue, to fix some of the hundreds of new bugs introduced by the EE edition of BG?

You might want to read the Steam or GOG forums some time. The EE version has tons of unfixed bugs, even seven years after release. New ones not in the original game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You realize the 2.6 patch (for a 2012 game) is overdue, to fix some of the hundreds of new bugs introduced by the EE edition of BG?

You might want to read the Steam or GOG forums some time. The EE version has tons of unfixed bugs, even seven years after release. New ones not in the original game.
Yeah I'm sure that Melf's Minute Meteor counting as Piercing type of damage instead of Missile is way worse than random hotkeys spam, NPCs stopping to attack for no reason, i.e. gamebreaking shit.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Write off anyone who prefers the EEs to the originals or the originals + core community fixes. Or recommends them over the originals.

Beamdog's EEs have been getting updated and patched for over half a decade, and yet thousands of Beamdog-injected bugs and glitches remain.

lol.jpg

In addition, they imbalanced IWD and BG by shoving them into the BG2 engine. They removed original art assets such as FMVs, UI backdrops and sound effects. They added in fan-fiction level drivel through their companions, and they added political statements to the game.

Never forget, too: Beamdog removed the originals as a separate purchase from GoG. They bundled the originals with the EEs. The originals were a top-seller on GoG before Beamdog came along. Then, their PR misinformed the GoG community about the reasons for doing so, and were forced to apologize.

Last edited:

chuft

Augur
Anybody else have problems with the "Standard Attack" (aGen.bs) script not working, and resetting to "None" after a load, with BGT-WeiDU?

I read an old post from 2013 where someone said BGT was corrupting this script. When I check my own BGT debug log I can see it is replacing the BG2 script with a new one. Curious if the BGT version is just broken or mine got corrupted somehow. I am thinking about replacing it with the backup BGT makes during install.

I just used Near Infinity to analyze the scripts and it appears the non-working scripts have been coded incorrectly in a not-obvious way. (It was doing a check for "ActionListEmpty()" last in each condition block, and it appears it needs to be first for some reason - that's how all the working scripts are coded. Apparently the other code said "I will be the last, and you will go first" before throwing aGen.bs off a roof.) I recoded and recompiled the General Attack script and now it works. Will probably fix the Passive and Default ones too, since they also seem to have been affected by this coding error made by the BGT mod.

So that's one bug down.

I tried uninstalling the Logitech driver and rebooting, but just got the repeating phantom keystrokes again (which I was able to stop by pressing the keys involved, but still) so in this case, merely uninstalling the driver didn't do it. I am going to try a non-Logitech keyboard to see if the hardware makes a difference. Techs at work have told me USB interface corruption of some sort can cause this, though it seems odd it only happens with IE games and no other apps.

chuft

Augur
Someone from Spellhold confirmed that the BGT versions of these scripts are corrupted, by having just LF's instead of CR/LF's in the compiled versions. So it appears I may have fixed them by the mere act of recompiling them, regardless of the code changes. Seems peculiar that Near Infinity would be able to read corrupted files without a problem, but maybe it can. Anyway, looks like this bug in BGT has been out there for at least six years (going by the 2013 thread I found about it) and no one ever fixed it despite multiple releases of BGT since then. Strange.

Now that I have Near Infinity open, I changed the General Attack script to be just like the Ranged script except the character will never back away. So if there are enemies at range, the character will switch to a ranged weapon and shoot; if they are adjacent, the character will switch to a melee weapon and hack. They will never charge without explicit orders. If the character has a melee weapon out and enemies are close but not adjacent, they will stand there to receive the charge. So now my front line should behave like I want.

chuft

Augur
It is the General Attack and the Passive scripts for character AI. It only affects characters given those scripts.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That explains why I didn't notice that bug when playing BTG a year or two ago. I don't think I used the Party AI since the first time I played BG1. Those scripts always make me think of that batshit crazy modder MPrilla and his SuperScripts...

chuft

Augur
Why is there not a single container in the Gnoll Stronghold.

I must have left 200 halberds laying on the ground when I left.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Write off anyone who prefers the EEs to the originals or the originals + core community fixes. Or recommends them over the originals.

Beamdog's EEs have been getting updated and patched for over half a decade, and yet thousands of Beamdog-injected bugs and glitches remain.

In addition, they imbalanced IWD and BG by shoving them into the BG2 engine. They removed original art assets such as FMVs, UI backdrops and sound effects. They added in fan-fiction level drivel through their companions, and they added political statements to the game.

Never forget, too: Beamdog removed the originals as a separate purchase from GoG. They bundled the originals with the EEs. The originals were a top-seller on GoG before Beamdog came along. Then, their PR misinformed the GoG community about the reasons for doing so, and were forced to apologize.

Complaining about balance in Baldur's Gate is like complaining about feet in a quentin tarantino movie. We all know what's really going on here

chuft

Augur
The only container is in a cave. I couldn’t be arsed to carry all the halberds down there this time. Takes multiple trips just to store them.

The NPCs in the game tend to be pretty weak, even fighters like Khalid and Kagain. They can’t wear armor and carry much loot at the same time.

Theldaran

Liturgist
The EEs work better on my machine than Classics.

Each own has their strengths and weaknesses. Play whichever.

An experienced player should be able to sail no problem through BG1 anyway.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I recently tried the vanilla BG1 after maybe 15 years of playing different modifications such as BGT, tutu and EEs and oh boy how good it was comparing to the retardness of Beamdog pile of shit they call enhanced edition. I'm not even saying they implemented all those pretentious new npcs and and leftautism, they totally ruined the intended gameplay by porting game to BG2 engine.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I've never played the EEs and never will. Nor have I had any trouble reinstalling and replaying the original BGs again and again over the years, even across countless iterations of Windows and several PCs and laptops. There is no excuse, peons.

chuft

Augur
... Anyway, looks like this bug in BGT has been out there for at least six years (going by the 2013 thread I found about it) and no one ever fixed it despite multiple releases of BGT since then. Strange.

Because they were sort of competent players and never turn on AI? Thus it's never be a problem for them?

The game is not hard enough to require constant manual micromanagement of the party. You should be able to set scripts and watch real time battles with occasional interventions, and you can. When the scripts work.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
... Anyway, looks like this bug in BGT has been out there for at least six years (going by the 2013 thread I found about it) and no one ever fixed it despite multiple releases of BGT since then. Strange.

Because they were sort of competent players and never turn on AI? Thus it's never be a problem for them?

The game is not hard enough to require constant manual micromanagement of the party. You should be able to set scripts and watch real time battles with occasional interventions, and you can. When the scripts work.
If you're into that kind of thing, I suggest playing dota auto chess like all zoomers do.

BG is made to be played either solo, in iron-man mode or with SCS on hard.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Really, in BG2 each class has options and equipment available to cheese out the game.

Cael

Arcane

It is not hard enough to require AI scripts either.

"<Charname>, Xan, Dynaheir, Imoen (dualled), Fireball point X. Rocks fall, everyone dies has nothing on this!"

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
It's only one crpg out of hundreds i ever played , that i can start again anytime and instantly being hooked and amazed in both I and II . Pure magic of FR despite it's flaws.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom