Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sniper Build [with new feats]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Gun Nut and Ambush are too early.

I can already craft sniper rifles in Junkyard (40-80 dmg range).

Ambush is already making a difference without any Molotovs. You just have to pay attention and attack from the shadows.

You are wasting 2int+1will point

Imho Intelligence is not wasted on a build with crafting (there will be significant differences at higher levels).

Also Will is 4 because I want Psycho-Temporal Contraction at lvl 8.

Please tell me what would you change.

How do you kill stuff on low hp in an AP efficient way? Point blank nades?

Pistol, H&K or AR (later)

The idea behind the Sniper rifle is "One shot One kill" therefore efficient killing of low hp mobs should not be a problem later in the game.

Also Will is 4 because I want Psycho-Temporal Contraction at lvl 8.

Please tell me what would you change.
Mentors check your base skill, not your modified skill, so will doesn't matter. Also I really doubt you're going to randomly find a contraction mentor by level 8. I'm not sure that's even possible.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Gun Nut at lvl 2 for 6avg base dmg is a really bad deal if you ask me. Interloper or Opportunist will give you much better returns.

The build direction you are taking is min/maxing, not optimizing. You may max dmg but you are not optimizing actual play. You don't have any backup plan outside of point-blank nades, which will not do enough. You say pistols but without quick tinkering that seems really weak.

Don't get me wrong, you can make it work with enough savescumming - but it's not optimal.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Gun Nut at lvl 2 for 6avg base dmg is a really bad deal if you ask me. Interloper or Opportunist will give you much better returns.

The build direction you are taking is min/maxing, not optimizing. You may max dmg but you are not optimizing actual play. You don't have any backup plan outside of point-blank nades, which will not do enough. You say pistols but without quick tinkering that seems really weak.

Don't get me wrong, you can make it work with enough savescumming - but it's not optimal.

Well, you are right on all accounts.

Sykar

Arcane
I can still craft Sniper rifles because at some point I can divert skills points to Mechanics and Electronics.

Why not put the DEX (and CON, but that's a separate matter) point to INT then? DEX just governs two skills, if you add crafting INT would aid with more.

I'm working on it :)

So, my final Sniper build is here :)

I decided to go for a crafting main Sniper/support PSI focusing mostly on the synergy between Ambush and Grenadier.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAUGBAMPBAhuIwAAAABuUFoAAG5uAAAAAAAAN24ARisBMVMWAsKHfjPChUvfvw

STR to 5 in order to be able to use most Sniper rifles (only Black Arrow requires 6 STR but that's in Deep Caverns).
DEX 6 for Grenadier. 30 Throwing is required for Grenadier.
AGI 4 for no Stealth penalties.
CON 3 because this is the only one I can ignore.
PER 10 for max damage. The only stat to be upgraded.
WIL 4 for no Temporal Manipulation penalties. 45 Temporal Manipulation is needed for Acceleration feat however 55 skill points are required by Psycho-temporal Contraction. Yeah, I'm going for 20 AP bonus + 3 rounds.
INT 8 for skills points sweet spot. Each point of Intelligence makes a difference of 30 skill points for this particular build.

Some other ideas:
I cannot go with WILL 3 because that means Psycho-Temporal Contraction will be delayed past lvl 8.
DEX 4, AGI 6, INT 8 - It would allow me to take Sure Steps or Spring but Grenadier is much more valuable on long term.
DEX 3, AGI 7, INT 8 - It would allow me to take Interloper but do I really want that !?
DEX 4, AGI 4, INT 10 - It means 60 more skill points in Hacking, Mechanics, Electronics and Mercantile however no access to Grenadier, Sure Steps or Sprint.

I don't think I will have an easy time with this build in the Old Junkyard but I'm pretty sure that this will be a monster build from lvl10 and up.
Actually it depends on what I can craft before entering Depot area ... otherwise I will have to kill them with grenades.

I do not think that this will be a monster build. You can easily go with will 3, since skill requirements are predicated on set skill points, not modified skill points. You are a bit too obsessed with int. If that were an energy pistol build it would be fine, but Sniper really is about keeping your distance, properly preparing the battle field and taking out high value targets in the first two rounds. To me the most important stats for a Sniper are agi and perception. Due to the insane amount of damage you can get from Snipe and Aimed Shot you do not even have to max perception, you can do fine with just 12-14 points, giving you a little more room for other stats. The difference between 10 and 16 perception is less than 15% damage by the way and a really tiny % to to hit. I tested it more than once and 2 per were like 1% more hit chance. Enemy evasion plays a far bigger role here. Agi 4 really limits Snipe. You would be better served to go for 7+ agi and getting Snipe asap.

What do you think of this build?
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAUGBwMOAwduTQAAAABuAAAAAAAAAAAAAC0ARgAAACsBOT8WNSoCM0t_wod-378

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I do not think that this will be a monster build. You can easily go with will 3, since skill requirements are predicated on set skill points, not modified skill points. You are a bit too obsessed with int. If that were an energy pistol build it would be fine, but Sniper really is about keeping your distance, properly preparing the battle field and taking out high value targets in the first two rounds. To me the most important stats for a Sniper are agi and perception. Due to the insane amount of damage you can get from Snipe and Aimed Shot you do not even have to max perception, you can do fine with just 12-14 points, giving you a little more room for other stats. The difference between 10 and 16 perception is less than 15% damage by the way and a really tiny % to to hit. I tested it more than once and 2 per were like 1% more hit chance. Enemy evasion plays a far bigger role here. Agi 4 really limits Snipe. You would be better served to go for 7+ agi and getting Snipe asap.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAUGBwMOAwduTQAAAABuAAAAAAAAAAAAAC0ARgAAACsBOT8WNSoCM0t_wod-378

Your build is really combat focused however at the same time it's all over the place.
1) I want to have Persuasion and Mercantile for story progression and feeling less ripped off. For me this is important.
2) Also I want Crafting before the end game.
3) Your Psychokinesis/Temporal Manipulation combo is very specific. I just want the AP bonus from Contraction (55 TM).

I think I have a better build. See next post.

Sykar

Arcane

Your build is really combat focused however at the same time it's all over the place.
1) I want to have Persuasion and Mercantile for story progression and feeling less ripped off. For me this is important.
3) Your Psychokinesis/Temporal Manipulation combo is very specific. I just want the AP bonus from Contraction (55 TM).

Dude, I left almost 470 points at level 20 for you to distribute however you see fit, you can easily get Persuasion or Mercantile or both with points to spare. If you just want 55 TM, go ahead and free those points, hardly changes the build one bit since I was not using any feats reliant on a significant value in PK or TM apart from Acceleration which you would get anyway most likely.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Dude, I left almost 470 points for you to distribute however you see fit, you can easily get Persuasion or Mercantile or both with points to spare. If you just want 55 TM, go ahead and free those points, hardly changes the build one bit.

Sorry. I did not noticed that however I still cannot use it. Thanks anyway.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Suit yourself.

Don't get me wrong. You build is very solid and it would work great but I do think I have a better Sniper build at least for my needs.

By the way: Strafe is a waste of feat on the Sniper build because you want to take advantage of the Focused state.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgU...BuAAAAN3MARgE5MUA1AjMrfsKFS8KHU0dJwrHCpcKk378

Note: Blitz or Commando could be replaced with more useful feats which I don't know.
I plan to use SMG as the second weapon for close range (Commando could be very useful for this).

Main differences:
1) Only one Offense specialization: Guns because specializing for two Offense skills is just a waste of skill points.
Versatility feat is very powerful as is providing synergy between Guns, Crossbows and Melee but there is no synergy for Throwing (that's a dead end).
2) Consumable main routes are: Traps and Caltrops/Grenades. Some would say that Grenades >> Traps >> Caltrops.
However Caltrops/Grenades require Throwing skills which has no synergy while Traps skill has two synergies: Lockpicking and Mechanics.
Basically the game is signaling that Traps is the preferred consumable route for low Dex characters which means that Trap Expert is in while the Grenadier is out.
Note: In previous builds I was obsessed with Sure Step also because frankly it trivializes Depot A/B but I no longer need it for the Traps route.
3) Shooting Spree is very powerful and it should be taken as soon as possible (but not before Sharpshooter). Edit: Wrong. It's better than Sharpshooter.
4) More movement points and better Initiative is a reasonable trade-off for less Perception because at level 30 (if I ever reach it) I could have access to the max AP bonus (120+).
5) Evasion is very useful because without it everything will hit you. Also you are not left butt naked if your shield is depleted.
6) I will only take Psi Empathy once I find the required Psionic Mentor: Psycho-temporal Contraction therefore I can enjoy the first half of the game without any Psi penalties. At the moment I don't know where that consumable mentor device is located therefore the back up plan is to take Blitz.

Bottom line: This build has 56 Guns effective skill points less than maximum possible however I can mitigate that with Gun Nut (15% more damage on the crafted Sniper rifles).
However I will have access to the max AP bonus which means that I will be able to put distance between myself and any mobs.
I'm not sure a build with maximum possible Guns skills could deliver more damage than this one in the first 3 rounds of combat.
Overall this literally is the Monster Sniper build I secretly wished for :) This shit will wreck things from far away.

Thank you! Sykar , Wunderbar, Spark Mandriller, MediantSamuel, Parabalus and sebas
Your comments were really good. Unfortunately I was obsessed with min-max and I needed my own process to relearn and actually understand what some of you were saying.
Anyway, everything is fine now because I'm pretty confident the build above is absolute bonkers :)

PS1. The build can be easily adapted for Crossbows and Shotguns.

PS2. I wasted 32 in-game hours to come up with this build. The good part is that I'm not retarded, the bad part is that I'm very close to be.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I just finished the Junkyard quest. The build is solid.

The funny thing about Snipers is that once you shoot the entire level will aggro :)
076E8CDF08C5B056F00BC1565D7662C3DC99C423

I went in with 40 traps. As you can see 13 of them were "used" in the first fight :)

Below is another fight which required a shit load of traps.
60E2A2800724161933EFBAA00F3AA7DFF2F1F663

I think there were like 15 dogs on that map. Somehow a ridiculous amount.

Sundevil96

Educated
I can still craft Sniper rifles because at some point I can divert skills points to Mechanics and Electronics.

Why not put the DEX (and CON, but that's a separate matter) point to INT then? DEX just governs two skills, if you add crafting INT would aid with more.

I'm working on it :)

So, my final Sniper build is here :)

I decided to go for a crafting main Sniper/support PSI focusing mostly on the synergy between Ambush and Grenadier.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAUGBAMPBAhuIwAAAABuUFoAAG5uAAAAAAAAN24ARisBMVMWAsKHfjPChUvfvw

STR to 5 in order to be able to use most Sniper rifles (only Black Arrow requires 6 STR but that's in Deep Caverns).
DEX 6 for Grenadier. 30 Throwing is required for Grenadier.
AGI 4 for no Stealth penalties.
CON 3 because this is the only one I can ignore.
PER 10 for max damage. The only stat to be upgraded.
WIL 4 for no Temporal Manipulation penalties. 45 Temporal Manipulation is needed for Acceleration feat however 55 skill points are required by Psycho-temporal Contraction. Yeah, I'm going for 20 AP bonus + 3 rounds.
INT 8 for skills points sweet spot. Each point of Intelligence makes a difference of 30 skill points for this particular build.

Some other ideas:
I cannot go with WILL 3 because that means Psycho-Temporal Contraction will be delayed past lvl 8.
DEX 4, AGI 6, INT 8 - It would allow me to take Sure Steps or Spring but Grenadier is much more valuable on long term.
DEX 3, AGI 7, INT 8 - It would allow me to take Interloper but do I really want that !?
DEX 4, AGI 4, INT 10 - It means 60 more skill points in Hacking, Mechanics, Electronics and Mercantile however no access to Grenadier, Sure Steps or Sprint.

I don't think I will have an easy time with this build in the Old Junkyard but I'm pretty sure that this will be a monster build from lvl10 and up.
Actually it depends on what I can craft before entering Depot area ... otherwise I will have to kill them with grenades.

Do you have a sniper build for Dominating difficulty level?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Recklessness feat is useless (at least without specialization).

New food introduced in the last version of the game.

Who knew this and didn't told me: Fuck you!

0D50C22BF21F1B602ABFB7EC0EE69D1199B3BC75

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, the build was solid but I've fucked up my game progression by doing the Dude quest too soon. Pretty good quest.

However I got a fresh feeling for the game:
- Evasion is good, maybe it was reworked but at lvl70 the enemies were missing like crazy,
- Recklessness is pretty much useless and can be replaced with Hardcore chips. Also the Sniper gameplay should be focused around Aimed Shot and the rest of feats related to that,
- Traps can be boosted with Trapper's Belt and Jackknife. Basically there is no point investing heavily in traps because you need very low skills for this shit to work (20 for Burrower's traps),
- Grenadier is much more important to Dps than Traps. I knew this but I tried to take advantage of the high Agility from the previous build,
- Snipe is absolutely insane with high Stealth/high Agility but I prefer a more balanced approach,
- Fuck Blitz! I guess that ability is only useful for some specific builds (Melee !?), however Sprint is the poor man Hit-and-Run therefore it's in,
- Psycho-temporal Contraction can be found in Rail Crossing which means that this feat can be taken at lvl8,
- Ambush is good but honestly it's too situational (with Molotovs and without) therefore it's not necessary to take it asap,
- Gun Nut specialization add 20% to a weapon upper range (for a total of 35%) therefore it can make a difference towards end game,
- Stealth can be boosted significantly with Tabi Boots (more than enough),
- Pack Rathound might be the best early feat for easy life

Anyway, this is the new build.

Yeah, Pack Rathound could be replaced with many things but honestly I want to enjoy the game with this build.

Basically the build is pretty much done at lvl 10: Adrenaline Shot + Psycho-temporal Contraction means 90 AP for 3 rounds.
Round1: Snipe + Aimed Shot (critical) + Sprint.
Round2: 2 sniper attacks or 2 SMG bursts + Grenades.
Round3. Aimed shot (critical) + something else.

Edit: At this pace I will never reach the new content
:despair:

Last edited:

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
- Gun Nut specialization add 20% to a weapon upper range (for a total of 35%) therefore it can make a difference towards end game,
How about critical power specialization instead? My lvl 13 sniper (regular scope on his rifle) has 130% crit dmg bonus, so 10 points in Crit Power specialization will get additional 45% bonus, and later on, with Anatomically Aware scopes and stuff that bonus can be way bigger. You can put 10 in Crit Power spec and 5 in Gun Nut spec for example.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
How about critical power specialization instead? My lvl 13 sniper (regular scope on his rifle) has 130% crit dmg bonus, so 10 points in Crit Power specialization will get additional 45% bonus, and later on, with Anatomically Aware scopes and stuff that bonus can be way bigger. You can put 10 in Crit Power spec and 5 in Gun Nut spec for example.

Yeah. Critical Power specialization is better.

Full specialization gives 3% for each 1% critical damage over 100 which means in your case 30 * 3% = 90% increase. Wow.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You know that you have a good build when you can push the shit up a Death Stalker's ass.

F14D36BD8C596E754D8F53D75A81D007D48EBBC8

Bonus:

Rail Crossing. Miler quest. Energy cube. Second level.

You just need to open a door and it's on between Plasma Sentries and Death Stalkers.
9908291B9A97DC768D13F1EDA8767C6D22315FF3

If you are lucky then you can get a free Death Stalker oddity :)

Sykar

Arcane
I just realized that Expert Sprint is only usable for the last 4 levels of the game which means that it's probably not worth the extra cost: 3 stat points + 1 feat.

Well, at least I have time to rethink the last feats cause the road from lvl 1 to lvl 26 is long af.

Edit: The fix looks like this:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgU...ABuAAAAN3MARgE5MUA1AjMrfsKFwodHU0tJwqTCtXjfvw

I have played with a variety of Sniper builds but always come back to my Starcraft: Ghost Sniper. Why? Two words, stealth killing. Ever since I cleared almost the entire mall from Lunatic scum without them realizing what is happening I got a fetish that I need to be able to kill quietly. Too bad PSI is the only way to do it reliably against groups, thanks to LoC. Melee does it well against isolated targets but silenced guns are horrible for stealth killing. Only way are silenced SMGs but that basically requires Expertise which sucks for sniper rifles, and Spec Force, though that one is decent at least if only for the fact that lowered CD for Flashbangs is always welcome. Oh and probably Commando. Biggest problem is getting dex high enough that you can burst often enough since you need decent per and agi already. Getting 3 different attributes high while not tanking int and str is kinda troublesome.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think I'm going to run a stealth sniper with smg as backup next playthrough, cheers for the inspiration, toro. :D

Random question:

Is Sharpshooter overkill? A crafted Reaper can be 175% crit damage, plus crit power specialisation equals what, 325% crit damage? (Jesus.)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think I'm going to run a stealth sniper with smg as backup next playthrough, cheers for the inspiration, toro. :D

Random question:

Is Sharpshooter overkill? A crafted Reaper can be 175% crit damage, plus crit power specialisation equals what, 325% crit damage? (Jesus.)

Are you going for the Psycho-Temporal AP bonus?

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Random question:

Are you going for the Psycho-Temporal AP bonus?

I kinda dislike psi, not sure if that gimps my build overly or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom