Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I doubt GOG would reject any major publisher's "AAA" game, which is what I was originally talking about. Indies are mostly available DRM free somewhere, or even DRM free on Steam, and I don't really complain about those at all. It's "AAA" games like Dishonored 2 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider that I can't get where I want to get them, for the most part.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which is entirely the fault of the publishers, not the available storefronts.

I like Steam and get most of my games there, but I despise DRM like Denuvo, yet some AAA titles still go for that shit. Fuck big publishers.

Squid

Arbiter
Ah that reminds me the old excuse of why they even use DRM. To protect the initial sales period of course! IF that was even true, they could just make the game DRM free after a month or something. It'll have been cracked by then anyway. But why would they do that?

Squid

Arbiter
Maybe they do but that would be the first I've heard of it. Anyone got some proof? I can go dig through some EULAs later and see if it says anything on an older game with Denuvo.

V_K

Arcane
Also, yes, technically Valve is not to blame (if we don't go into the monopoly discussion), but who the fuck cares? It's only Steamtards that make it about who's to blame instead of the end result. Which is IDENTICAL, that is being forced to use one client for specific games. That is the only thing that matters. Not about who is to blame.
On the contrary, it's all about who's to blame because it's also about who you pay. It's one thing to pay Valve for a game that isn't available anywhere else because Valve doesn't actively stop it from appearing anywhere else. And it's a completely different thing when Epic is purposefully inconveniencing me to try to force me to use their (vastly inferior, I must add) platform and pay them for it - that's just not the kind of business behavior that deserves to be rewarded.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Ah that reminds me the old excuse of why they even use DRM. To protect the initial sales period of course! IF that was even true, they could just make the game DRM free after a month or something. It'll have been cracked by then anyway. But why would they do that?

Dishonored 2 removed Denuvo at the end of last year, which is when I bought it. The same happened to some other games.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Maybe they do but that would be the first I've heard of it. Anyone got some proof? I can go dig through some EULAs later and see if it says anything on an older game with Denuvo.

We do that. Mutant Year Zero, is one example. I imagine Conan Unconquered will get the same treatment soon. (No I don't have any say in whether we use DRM or not - above my pay grade)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also, you keep harping on about how so many games are Steam "exclusives", but what exactly is Epic doing to fix that?

Well, for one thing it makes some games available both on Steam and Epic. Even if that comes with 1 year Epic exclusivity.

But I never said it does anything. I'm not defending Epic, and I hope it burns together with Steam. The only reason it looks like I'm defending it is because I compare what it does with what Steam does and Steamtards get butthurt about it cuz muh superior client with trading cards reeeeee

On the contrary, it's all about who's to blame because it's also about who you pay.

Fine, I give you that. But here's a better solution: don't pay either.
Also, like I said, my problem is that Steamtards cry about the concept of exclusives (as in being forced to use a specific client. Literally steamtards are saying "why do I have to use the Epic client?") but when pointed out that the same happens with Steam they switch the goal posts to who's to blame.

So, tell me, why do I have to use the Steam client to play certain games? Steamtards are not actually considering this since they equate Steam with PC gaming. That's why you hear braindead retarded vomit like "durr epic is splitting the market".

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fine, I give you that. But here's a better solution: don't pay either.
Also, like I said, my problem is that Steamtards cry about the concept of exclusives (as in being forced to use a specific client. Literally steamtards are saying "why do I have to use the Epic client?") but when pointed out that the same happens with Steam they switch the goal posts to who's to blame.

Because some of us actually remember when devs were moving to mandatory steam client use. It was the devs/publishers that were pushing it. On the Football manager forums, back in 2012 I think, it had huge thread with explanations why they did go steam. It was free DRM and auto patches. The reasons vary from multiplayer support, achievements, reach, auto patching to cloud saves, linux support, sales and whatever else, but from the thousands of games that are steam client exclusive, zero are because they were paid by Valve, so it's not the same. I don't like mandatory clients too and am not saying one is better or worse, but the situation and context are not the same. Most people were blaming Steam, like now they blame Epic, but fundamentally the devs/publishers are the ones that decide their games to be exclusive. Bribe taker is more guilty than the bribe giver, so fuck them and their shit, until piracy live Sega, Ubisoft and shitty indies can eat dick.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Because some of us actually remember when devs were moving to mandatory steam client use. It was the devs/publishers that were pushing it. On the Football manager forums, back in 2012 I think, it had huge thread with explanations why they did go steam. It was free DRM and auto patches. The reasons vary from multiplayer support, achievements, reach, auto patching to cloud saves, linux support, sales and whatever else, but from the thousands of games that are steam client exclusive, zero are because they were paid by Valve, so it's not the same. I don't like mandatory clients too and am not saying one is better or worse, but the situation and context are not the same. Most people were blaming Steam, like now they blame Epic, but fundamentally the devs/publishers are the ones that decide their games to be exclusive. Bribe taker is more guilty than the bribe giver, so fuck them and their shit, until piracy live Sega, Ubisoft and shitty indies can eat dick.

It's absolutely not the same "morally," you guys are right. However the user experience for someone who doesn't want a client and doesn't use their features IS the same. Either way I'm forced to load a fucking thing I don't want to play the game. Either way I have to buy on a store I don't want to use to play the game. Actually in Epic's case none of the games I've bought there have required the client, so it's better in a way because that's rare on Steam. I don't think people who happily use Steam as their base of operations really understand this perspective, but it's just as valid as any other.

thesecret1

Arcane
Also, yes, technically Valve is not to blame (if we don't go into the monopoly discussion), but who the fuck cares? It's only Steamtards that make it about who's to blame instead of the end result. Which is IDENTICAL, that is being forced to use one client for specific games.
Case 1: "Sorry, sir, the rare brand of whiskey you want is only available in the store across the town, nobody else stocks it. You will have to go there if you want it."
Case 2: "Sorry, sir, Don Sweeno controls the whiskey market in this town and will break my legs if I sell you this brand. You will have to go to his store across town if you want it."
Totally the same thing. After all, I will need to go to the store across the town in either case, right?

Silentstorm

Learned
Well, i will give Epic this, less games means more chances of indie games being found out and not being swept aside by too many games...for now.

Though i still think a lot of indie developers just try to rely on some Youtuber or site talking about them and making sure their game gets popular rather than approaching said people or doing any kind of advertising and that is why a lot of games, even good ones, are just swept aside.

Reminds me of one failed beat'em up game on Steam which had a lot of work put into it, Full Metal Furies, that everyone who played seems to enjoy or say that at the very worst, it's a decent beat'em up, though i found it a bit slow and boring.

The thing is, it was done by the guys behind Rogue Legacy, you know, one of the roguelite platformers that sites and youtubers took notice of and thus made many articles and videos of leading to that game becoming popular?

Yeah, well, the guys behind Full Metal Furies admitted in an interview that they made no major attempts at talking to people, and barely even advertised their game aside from announcing it because Rogue Legacy had been such a sucess and thus everyone would instantly pay attention to whatever else they do, why bother advertising or trying their best to make sure people know about their new game?

The result was that Full Metal Furies sold much worse than they expected, and they had to rely on the good old tactic of porting the game to Switch in hopes it sells better there, though i haven't heard much about that game on Switch so maybe that strategy didn't work again.

That game though, just strikes me as being an example of something that many indie game developers have, making a game that many people would love and just sitting around hoping that one day, people find their game through them announcing it once and then doing nothing else except talking about updates in social media, no attempt at advertising, even just doing some social media contests for a free copy would be good, but nope, they just hope that players will notice the game somehow.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That game though, just strikes me as being an example of something that many indie game developers have, making a game that many people would love and just sitting around hoping that one day, people find their game through them announcing it once and then doing nothing else except talking about updates in social media, no attempt at advertising, even just doing some social media contests for a free copy would be good, but nope, they just hope that players will notice the game somehow.

I feel like that change is happening all over. The movie industry now-a-days talks a lot about the death of the movie star or celebrity director. Used to be having a name at the top of the poster meant something, but now it doesn't mean shit. I don't know if that's yet another internet change (people now get a plethora of reactions day one and don't need to trust anything creative) or if it's simply that there are torrents of media flooding us from every direction and you can't tread water well enough to care.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Feel The Edge has been praying Steam dies for almost a decade now. He has no agenda outside of trolling. Pretty sure his computer is like eight years old, too, so none of this is relevant since he can't play anything even remotely modern.

thesecret1

Arcane
I feel like that change is happening all over. The movie industry now-a-days talks a lot about the death of the movie star or celebrity director. Used to be having a name at the top of the poster meant something, but now it doesn't mean shit. I don't know if that's yet another internet change (people now get a plethora of reactions day one and don't need to trust anything creative) or if it's simply that there are torrents of media flooding us from every direction and you can't tread water well enough to care.
It means enough people have been burned by the supposed "celebrity" producing rancid garbage that they switched to judging a product on its own (by reviews given to that particular film), rather than blindly believe that a certain person shits gold and can only produce good things.

Personally, I welcome this development. It shows some small amount of critical thought among the sheeple.

Read it in the Denuvo thread:

Rage 2 just got Denuvo removed on Steam, so yeah it was just for review copies.

link
it's a matter of money. while we get "games as a service", denuvo is "drm as a service", they don't get to buy it and use indefinitely, if you want to employ denuvo and have it updated you have to keep paying and paying and paying and paying...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So, tell me, why do I have to use the Steam client to play certain games?

Because GoG is curated and rejects some games.
Because AAA publishers like their DRM and therefore don't go on GoG (but in the case of AAA publishers, they tend to have their own storefront anyway: Origin, Uplay, etc).
Because Steam is an open platform that allows every developer, no matter how small he is and how shit his game is, to drop his game on it, and it's much easier than setting up your own website, paying for hosting costs, and trying to advertise it.

Black Angel

Arcane
Now ask him the same question, but with Epic. Probably gonna be something along this line:
ZUsI57b.png

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's thanks to KFC that I can't find a homemade small franchise buttermilk fried chicken near where I live. God I HATE KFCs.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's thanks to KFC that I can't find a homemade small franchise buttermilk fried chicken near where I live. God I HATE KFCs.
You don't have Hisana/Sabana near where you live?!
Nope, :negative:

Ate there a few time with friends, but I don't really like their fried chicken so I don't miss theirs.

The roasted chicken joint Bosgil is pretty nice btw. Similar prices to those small joint fried chickens, and being roasted, they're not oily, which is a problem most cheap fried chicken franchise have.

But, of course, same with Sabana, I can't find one near where I live.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom