Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

PrettyDeadman

Chosing TOME as best roguelike is a very poor choice.
Like, its almost unplayable. Why don't you play IA,ADOM,CDDA,COQ,DF,SIL,BROGUE or some other good roguelike?

RE: felipepe refuses to play good roguelike. he pledges to only play bad roguelike from no on ;(

Last edited by a moderator:

Thal

Prophet
Have you considered running a poll for particular types of crpgs? It could bring attention to very solid titles that otherwise would remain obscure. Reviews are instrumental in this, since it's very hard to find information about how some obscure game actually plays. If you were to run a poll on 20 best party-based tactical rpgs, for example, many of us might discover some real gems from the bygone era. On the other hand, there are practically no roguelikes on the list, because many people consider them an entirely separate genre.

And I would like to do votes on special categories like roguelikes, blobbers, tacticool, infinity engine clone, etc... the problem is that there are many categories, some are very hard to define, and some games don't fit well on any.

Like, do you put KOTOR2 together with Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, FTL and 7.62 High Calibre as "Real-Time with Pause RPG"?

I wasn't thinking about covering every rpg out there, or even every genre. That's what this poll was for. Rather, you'd define interesting parameters and then ask members to vote accordingly. Since it's not meant to cover everything, you can be more strict and creative in what is being asked about.

Say you were to run a poll on party based tactical crpgs. This would mean rating a game primarily based on the quality of its tactical combat system. If it seemed prudent, you could also exclude blobbers and RTwPs, though in this particular case I'd keep the latter. So, in this poll Arcanum and KOTOR2 would be rated according to their combat system (ie. they wouldn't even make the list), and arpgs wouldn't even qualify. However, we would get to argue about the merits of each Gold Box title, and perhaps some more obscure games like Naklah and Natuk would get attention (how good is their combat anyway?).

I do have somewhat selfish reasons for suggesting this, as over the years I've become better at games as well as becoming more and more a combatfag. IE games are becoming too easy, while it's hard to find which older classics have genuinely well thought combat gameplay and which ones are classics for other reasons.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Chosing TOME as best roguelike is a very poor choice.
Like, its almost unplayable. Why don't you play IA,ADOM,CDDA,COQ,DF,SIL,BROGUE or some other good roguelike?
I play DCSS, COQ and Sil, they are great games. But ToME is like the ultimate mix of old-school roguelikes with traditional RPGs, is like Baldur's Gate and DCSS had a baby.

I can't think of a single game with more interesting classes, races and single-character combat.

Black Angel

Arcane
I think I already said this in the review thread, but it is worth repeating: The fact that we have new games getting high ranking in the poll really shows that our hobby is healthy at the moment. Rejoice!
While I agree, 2019 has been a really bad year. We are in August and what's the best we got so far? Outward? Operencia?
Expedition is released just recently, bre! Also, Titan Outpost was scheduled for August 1st. Unfortunately, it was still being reviewed by Steam and got delayed. Iirc Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is also pretty much confirmed Soon™, but I forgot when exactly.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I wasn't thinking about covering every rpg out there, or even every genre. That's what this poll was for. Rather, you'd define interesting parameters and then ask members to vote accordingly. Since it's not meant to cover everything, you can be more strict and creative in what is being asked about.

Say you were to run a poll on party based tactical crpgs. This would mean rating a game primarily based on the quality of its tactical combat system. If it seemed prudent, you could also exclude blobbers and RTwPs, though in this particular case I'd keep the latter. So, in this poll Arcanum and KOTOR2 would be rated according to their combat system (ie. they wouldn't even make the list), and arpgs wouldn't even qualify. However, we would get to argue about the merits of each Gold Box title, and perhaps some more obscure games like Naklah and Natuk would get attention (how good is their combat anyway?).

I do have somewhat selfish reasons for suggesting this, as over the years I've become better at games as well as becoming more and more a combatfag. IE games are becoming too easy, while it's hard to find which older classics have genuinely well thought combat gameplay and which ones are classics for other reasons.
Well, I guess we could do something like "best tactical combat", "best exploration", "best role-playing options" and "best story", plus niches like "best roguelike", "best RT blobber", "best TB blobber", "best action-RPG" and "best whatever the fuck Heroes of Might and Magic is".

I admit it would be a fun poll, that might bring to light games like 7.62 High Calibre por Blackguards, that basically excel at only one thing.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I guess we could do something like "best tactical combat", "best exploration", "best role-playing options" and "best story", plus niches like "best roguelike", "best RT blobber", "best TB blobber", "best action-RPG" and "best whatever the fuck Heroes of Might and Magic is".

I admit it would be a fun poll, that might bring to light games like 7.62 High Calibre por Blackguards, that basically excel at only one thing.
How much harder would that be to implement though? Personally, I love the idea of categories, such as story, tactical combat, blobber, etc. In fact, I believe a good portion of Codexers (and lurkers) look for games based on category, and such a breakdown would be helpful for people who wish to dive-in to a niche genre, but have no clue where to start. Also, as you brought up, it could provide lesser known titles with some exposure (Blackguards).

doing lists like that is never conducive to anything real. people just vote for their favorites. it's worthless doing those best of polls.

Categorical polls may not serve as the best measure of quality, but it would be conducive to providing recommendations for certain groups of games. Outside of the Codex, who even mentions golden box games, Betrayal of Kondor, etc. anymore?

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Diablo is boring, repetitive shit; Wizardry is forgettable; Might and Magic is just terrible, due to being a repetitive, unimaginative dungeon crawler mixed with some annoying features like enemies constantly aging you; From Software's games are all creatively bankrupt and boring shit; and I love The Witcher, but number 2 is dull as dishwater, humorless, uninteresting and drab; Underrail was supposed to be a worthy tribute to Fallout, but had none of the charm, humor, imagination or fun of that serie.
My suggestions for replacements:

Superhero League of Hoboken: My favorite C.R.P.G, having all the hilarious humor and great characters of Steve Meretsky, fun and challenging combat and a character development system that rewards careful planning.

Citizens of Earth: The Mother tribute that Undertale should have been, with hilarious characters and jokes, a great world and a lot of weirdness.

Bloodnet: A great mix of Gothic horror and cyberpunk with complex resource management, high difficulty and a very interesting world.

Binding of Isaac: A great mix of Zelda and Rogue: Very creative, challenging, unpredictable and unique.

Arena and Daggerfall: Much better than Morrowind and Oblivion, with far more fun combat, an environment that is a lot less serious and more interesting, and a lot more to do in them.

ozymandiusz

Novice
I played mass effect 2, banged tali and it was for nothing. mass effect 2 not on the list.

god damn it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
perhaps some more obscure games like Naklah and Natuk would get attention (how good is their combat anyway?)

Some of the best tactical combat in CRPGs. From the DOS era only Disciples of Steel, the Gold Box games and the first Xcom game (not sure about the rest) can compete IMO.

Fairfax

Arcane
Subjective preferences aside, there are legitimate issues with this RPG list.

What is a game like Human Revolution even doing in this list? It's not an RPG, even when judged by the lowly standards of action-RPGs. There is no real progression, since all of Jensen's relevant abilities are already unlocked from the start of the game: regenerating health, regenerating bio-energy, a radar system that pinpoints where enemies are, the ability to aim accurately, perform takedowns, hack computers, etc.

Yet at the same time, an action-RPG like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, where you can't even equip weapons and armor unless you invest skill points into the requisite skills first, is absent from the list.

Role playing games are about narratives that react to your decisions. In DM, as far as I can tell, it's just a choice between Good Girl and Bad Girl.
There's another choice, and each of the four combinations has a different ending. More than enough by MCA's definition, for instance. :M

I'm going to add some additional data following the tables and graphs example that FelipePepe included for 2014 poll.

The best years for crpgs according codexers in 2019:

1- 1999: 884 points, 5 games.

2- 2000: 817 points, 4 games.

3- 2001: 691 points, 5 games.

4- 2002: 599 points, 6 games.

5- 2015: 553 points, 5 games.

6- 1998: 549 points, 3 games.

7- 2004: 513 points, 2 games.

8- 1997: 512 points, 1 game.

9- 2010: 344 points, 3 games.

10- 2018: 341 points, 5 games.

11- 2017: 326 points, 7 games.

12- 1993: 298 points, 6 games.

13- 2014: 288 points, 9 games.

14- 2011: 233 points, 3 games.

15- 1992: 202 points, 5 games.

16- 2006: 152 points, 4 games.

17- 2007: 150 points, 3 games.

18- 1988: 140 points, 4 games.

19- 2016: 107 points, 3 games.

20- 2003: 94 points, 2 games.

21- 2009: 88 points, 2 games.

22- 1994: 52 points, 1 game.

23- 1981: 46 points, 1 game.

24- 1985: 42 points, 1 game.

25- 1996: 40 points, 1 game.

Some conclussions:

-1997-2004 is according codexers the best age for crpgs. With the only intrussion of 2015 (AoD, TW3, UR), those consecutive 8 years (adding 2003 more humble contribution) monopolize majority of the vote. 7 of the eight top positions are for years of this era. 1997 and 1998 lose positions, while 2002 and 2004 improve theirs since 2014. 1999-2001 continue as best triennium in crpgs history according codexers in the same chronological order than they were in 2014 poll.

-Games released recently, specially in the new age of incline according codexers votes 2014-2018 displace golden era games even more from their already modest positions in 2014, but they practically don't affect renaissance era games, that grow in votes in this new list as much as the amount of votes that new games contribute.

-Golden Era and pioneers crpgs vote fall greatly in this list, so not only the new games votes surpass 2014 pre-1995 crpgs votes usually, but also a lot of games from the first years and incline of crpg history receive fewer votes than in 2014 list (Wiz VII from 69 from 103 in 2014, Darklands 45 from 87) and the concentration of vote in few titles (Pool of Radiance, Ultima VII and Dark Sun mostly) don't compensate the decline in votes in vast majority of 80s and first 90s crpgs.

Last edited:
I formally propose to name 2006 as the year of hopw roewur ne

Not only that year offer this extraordinary selection to rpg codex top crpgs list: Neverwinter Nights 2, Sengoku Rance, Gothic 3 and Oblivion...

:prosper:

:desu:

:dead:

:hearnoevil::gumpyhead:

Also those titles surpass in votes years as 1988 (Pool of Radiance, M&M II, Ultima V and Wasteland)...

But specially the only reason why that year is so high (7-8 positions higher than in 2014) is because in this poll Mask of the Bretayer is included in the main game, so instead 2007, +100 votes go to 2006.

So the only reason why Oblivion's year is considered the 16th best is because an expansion released in other year is included as part of another mediocre 2006 game. Isn't poetic?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm going to add some additional data following the tables and graphs example that FelipePepe included for 2014 poll.
-1997-2004 is according codexers the best age for crpgs. With the only intrussion of 2015 (AoD, TW3, UR), those consecutive 8 years (adding 2003 more humble contribution) monopolize majority of the vote. 7 of the eight top positions are for years of this era. 1997 and 1998 lose positions, while 2002 and 2004 improve theirs since 2014. 1999-2001 continue as best triennium in crpgs history according codexers in the same chronological order than they were in 2014 poll.
A large portion of the Codex refuses to play any CRPGs made before 1997, which inevitably leads to a handful of games in the 'CRPG Renaissance' era dominating any poll conducted using this format, where each Codexer has a certain number of points to distribute.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Underrail was supposed to be a worthy tribute to Fallout, but had none of the charm, humor, imagination or fun of that serie.

Underrail's exploration and combat are vastly superior to fallout's. And tbh the first time I played UR it reminded more of a blobber than a fallout clone/tribute, even though it's a single character RPG, due to the mazelike interconnected maps and meaty combat system. Judging by your distaste for that kind of game it makes sense you didn't like it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Well, one problem with polls like these will be the preliminary step of collecting all titles that fit the poll and deciding which ones won't be included. So it probably needs something like a submission and discussion thread first.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I started a collection of all TB and RT blobbers in this thread. Only non-anime in this case - someone else can compile a JRPG list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom