Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Surge 2

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Really need to get around to playing my $10 Steam sale purchase of this.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/644830/announcements/detail/1609387561736728592

Release date & Pre-Orders

9201c22690e1f309be9a6117d4d514074142723d.jpg

Hello everyone!

We’re thrilled to announce that The Surge 2 will release worldwide September 24 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC - overcome, upgrade, and survive!

Pre-orders are now open!

Players who pre-order at participating retailers will receive the URBN Gear Pack DLC for free, which includes an armor set, two weapons, one drone, one module, and a bonus online message icon.

91191727236dad3c1a48deedde833d2c196ee338.jpg

The Surge 2 comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on September 24. Pre-order now!

Jinn

Arcane
Just bought the first one on sale for $9 because this one looks like it'll be quite good and I love German developers for some weird reason.

Last edited:

Kaivokz

Arcane
Surge 1 is not like an MMO at all. Kill enemy get scraps isn’t a fetch quest; scraps are the primary currency. The game is pretty much just about killing the enemy, though.

It’s got a cool setting, and does the whole transition from grimy industrial to sleek executive as you progress up the tower. The mystery is decently interesting and there are some surprise dark moments, too (when you finally find the hipster guy).

Weapon types that feel different. Weapons you rip off giant robotic enemies. Serviceable character customization through mods and armor on your exosuit.

I only watched a little of the second game but it looked like generic fantasy forest. Hopefully they go back to the industrial aesthetic at some point, or do something else equally interesting, since there are already enough generic fantasy action RPGs.

Jinn

Arcane
I only watched a little of the second game but it looked like generic fantasy forest. Hopefully they go back to the industrial aesthetic at some point, or do something else equally interesting, since there are already enough generic fantasy action RPGs.

In the gameplay in that video posted above, I'd have a hard time calling that a generic fantasy forest. More like an overgrown futuristic city park or something. I'm sure they're not going to be giving up the game's sci-fi identity or anything. It's call The Surge after all. And if that cinematic trailer is any indication, it's going to have a nice sci-fi post-apocalyptic feel to it.

Been playing the first one for about an hour now. Really liking it so far. It's already standing out on its own in a lot of ways, rather than being the Dark Souls "clone" it's been made out as. I like how you can essentially add more heft/power/delay to your attack by holding down the button longer. It's gives a nice sense of control to the weighty combat. Feels nice so far. The limb targeting system and cutting off your enemy's limbs to get new weapons and armor is pretty badass too.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Highlights:
- levels are non-linear
- there are npcs with sidequests
- main characters is not voiced
- enemies are using actual firearms like machineguns and shotguns, but you still can't use them :argh:
- drone can use different types of ammunition, some mods allow it to be a flying sniper rifle
- new gadgets, like the one-time-use consumable that allows you to see enemies through walls
- you can use spray cans to write graffiti-messages to other players, dark souls style
- directional parries - a high risk high reward combat move

blitzer

Novice
Hmm..the character creation and dialogue scene make me think of MEA :M

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The ridiculously long time-to-kill basic bitch enemies, together with zero environmental variety, was the reason I couldn't play the original for more than 2 hours.

Seems they have learnt their lesson.

NOT.

PsychoFox

Educated
Lost interest in the first game after a couple of hours even though I am a huge DS fan. It never 'felt' right with how floaty everything felt. I mean for huge metallic machines, everything moved as if they were made out of cardboard.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah the impact response definitely could've been better but generally it's a weighty, slow-ish, deliberate combat which I like a lot. You don't see that very often anymore, nowadays everything is ever faster and flashier.

The main problem is basic bitch respawning enemies takes way too long to dispatch and IIRC running past them is way more difficult and punishing than in From games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom