Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on New Vegas DLC?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I forgot that Dead Money super pissed me off by having the mute character's mannerisms be decoded by the subtitles, but only if you actually have subtitles turned on, which I did not because I have no hearing impairment. I spent the whole game wondering what the fuck I was responding to and that maybe I was supposed to make it up, a way to kind of choose what she's saying, only to find out late into it that there were subtitles like "she seems to be gesturing toward a note that says my name is Jane please have sex with me" only I never saw them because why the fuck would I have subtitles on.

The Witcher 2 had an issue with that and not translating Elf speak unless you had subtitles in general on as well, if I recall correctly.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So you chose to turn off subtittle in order to increase immershun and you complain of losing a gameplay feature...

I remember someone saying that when I complained about Witcher 2 back in the day and it's still the most retarded response ever. Should the translations for foreign languages in English movies only appear if you have subtitles on? What kind of retardo logic is that? You go to the theater and have no idea what the plot is about because it's not the once Thursday morning subtitled version. Everyone and their mother knows it's two separate things.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Dead Money - Best writing, best setting, creepy atmosphere. Easy winner.
Old World Blues - The biggest addition of content, but I'm not a huge fan of all the wacky science stuff. Still, I had fun with it. Second place.
Honest Hearts - Pretty meh for the most part. The survivalist's diaries and Joshua Graham redeem this one for me though.
Lonesome Road - I liked the bleak setting, and the linearity (much like DM), but it started feeling like a slog near the end and Ulysses is a garbage antagonist, especially considering LR is supposed to be this epic conclusion to the Courier's story. Least favorite DLC.

PsychoFox

Educated
Just finished my 3rd playthrough of this game (98 hours) here in 2019. The last time i played it was ~8 years ago, but my opinion of it only improves each time i play it. Except lonesome road and the whole Ulysses nonsense. He can die in a garbage fire.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
People generally didn't like Dead Money because it was pretty hardcore and unforgiving without even bumping up difficulty compared to anything else in the Fallout-verse but I really liked. So go into it cautiously and expecting it to be difficult and you'll have fun. Honest Hearts had the opposite problem but was still enjoyable.

Danikas

Arcane
Just finished my 3rd playthrough of this game (98 hours) here in 2019. The last time i played it was ~8 years ago, but my opinion of it only improves each time i play it. Except lonesome road and the whole Ulysses nonsense. He can die in a garbage fire.
Honest Hearts is also shitty dlc only good thing it has is Burned man and he has like 20 min dialouge :dead:.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing Honest Hearts right now, and it's definitely the low point of the playthrough. I was taking my time with the base game and enjoying it, but now I just want to get this DLC over with fast.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Dead Money > Old World Blues > Honest Hearts > Lonesome Road

I think New Vegas is impressive mainly because of the freedom it offers: the different builds it supports, the different ways you can solve quests, the different paths through the game, the reactivity that it offers even on a large scale thanks to its faction mechanics. It's the best game Obsidian ever made, only rivaled by MotB which had pretty different strengths. While especailly DM and OWB are lots of fun, I don't think they can really compare to the base game since they're so restrictive and focused in comparison. They feel a lot more like your typical early 2000's Obsidian games, with mediocre gameplay that is carried by enjoyable writing, memorable characters and a bit of C&C here and there. A nice change of pace from the main game but lacking the really great things about it.

Honest Hearts is also shitty dlc only good thing it has is Burned man and he has like 20 min dialouge
The Survivalist's diaries were cool.

laclongquan

Arcane
What?

Honest Heart is a change of pace from main game and DLCs. What it emulate is the feel of a big game hunter in the wild. You dont have enough bullets to riddle everything in stitches. You sneak, aim, and bam! headshot~

Your 100 pound allowance is about enough for a fully modded rifle and its ammo. Use the scope to check out enemies and maximize the sniping game~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom