Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
*Every developer's dream is to work on an original IP. Only at Obsidian we will have managed to squander two chances of that.*

Alpha Protocol, Pillars of Eternity, and Tyranny make three. Let's go for an even four.

PsychoFox

Educated
After watching all of the gameplay footage there is of this game, my opinion of it is slightly improving. I still do feel like this game lacks originality, but after having played FNV for the millionth time, i think i wouldn't mind a clone with a derivative skin.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Watching this, I have a feeling that TOW will strongly remind me of Deadfire - a depressing journey of seeing one interesting concept after another being butchered by inept execution. The result is a mediocrity. Journos pump it up because they've been paid to. Players, outside of the Codex, forget it in a year, or even less given the releases we are due in 2020. The Codex spends years arguing if it's just above average or just below average, except for a few fanboys for whom it just clicked right.

Sidenote 1: the loading screens being more pretty and intriguing than the gameplay is a bad sign.
Sidenote 2: full voice over ended RPGs

Quillon

Arcane
Watching this, I have a feeling that TOW will strongly remind me of Deadfire

Even if that's so, my hypothesis
rating_prestigious.png
was if Deadfire was a third action RPG with the same writing, story, companions...everything, the mainstream would adore it, declare it all time classic etc. They will do so with this game regardless of if its the same quality or better. I will quote myself a year later and tell you how right past me was, it will be a true story.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

rating_prestigious.png
was if Deadfire was a third action RPG with the same writing, story, companions...everything, the mainstream would adore it, declare it all time classic etc. They will do so with this game regardless of if its the same quality or better. I will quote myself a year later and tell you how right past me was, it will be a true story.

If Deadfire was first person/third person like Skyrim that actually have companions that are some what interesting compared to the pack mules of Skyrim , interesting quests lines and somewhat reactivy compared to static world of Skyrim and, well made Multi Class and way better leveling to anything Bethesda had created since Morrowind. People would go fucking nuts over Deadfire. I mean people love Oblivion and Skyrim dispiste being both mediocre games at best.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
AwesomeButton I'm honestly confused why you plan to play this at all?
I'll try it, if it's pretty bad, I'll drop it. RPGs with bad combat and graphics that are still fun do exist. I hope there will be fun in character building and C&C/quests. I want to make a character with high science, drug addictions and use all the science weapons. And kill all of my companions. Some dumb power fantasy. I think the game will handle this well.

rating_prestigious.png
Well, all we can do is make guesses of how the game will be received. My expectation is that it will be liked, but the community will die in a year or so, after the DLCs are out. Pretty much like PoE/Deadfire.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
My expectation is that it will be liked, but the community will die in a year or so, after the DLCs are out. Pretty much like PoE/Deadfire.

Difference is PoE1-2 are very niche games and TOW ain't. Plus PoE wasn't well received as it seemed which made Deadfire, dead to begin with :P

And "community dying" is relative, which community? where? Seems to me the only thing that can hurt this game's longevity compared to NV/Beth-games is mod support.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I want to make it clear for those who still don't get it - I'm not surprised to see unimaginative combat in a first person RPG. I'm annoyed at how Obsidian got to do their own thing, their own FPS/RPG, with better tech than the shitty Gamebryo, and the best they could do, the limit of their ambition was to make it like the nuFallouts. They refused to ask more of themselves, because apparently doing just enough is fine.

Difference is PoE1-2 are very niche games and TOW ain't.
Well, we'll see about that. I think PoE was very well received critically, even if we don't consider what it offered.

Quillon

Arcane
I think PoE was very well received critically

Think? It was verytoo well received critically. But critical praise doesn't correlate to how players receive it. It might have helped with the sales, which just led more people to get fooled once, and they didn't let Deadfire to potentially fool them again.

Quillon

Arcane
I want to make it clear for those who still don't get it - I'm not surprised to see unimaginative combat in a first person RPG. I'm annoyed at how Obsidian got to do their own thing, their own FPS/RPG, with better tech than the shitty Gamebryo, and the best they could do, the limit of their ambition was to make it like the nuFallouts. They refused to ask more of themselves, because apparently doing just enough is fine.

They planned a smaller game to begin with according to their budget, even then they cut stuff apparently like vacuumed areas, it should have been crazy for them to explore more than straight shooter + melee gameplay when even we/most of us didn't expect them to do that well so they went ahead and done that and overwhelming majority thinks combat is good. What else can they do with the fp action gameplay anyway, besides adding more recoil? :) Apparently they chose not to add space magic/ME biotics or what was in Bioshock; magical left hand(?) which I appreciate because FUCK MAGIC and they probably didn't wanna deal with designing levels for PC wearing a jumping jet yet, which is prolly for the sequel :D

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Well, all we can do is make guesses of how the game will be received. My expectation is that it will be liked, but the community will die in a year or so, after the DLCs are out. Pretty much like PoE/Deadfire.

I think gonna live for more time than POE/Deadfire, people seems more open and interested into first person/third person games than Isometrics RPG , Diviniy 2 is expection tho. If you compare the content in video for FNV to Deadfire , there's barely any recent content or any content at all for Deadfire.. If youtube content creators support the game, TOW gonna live more than Deafire.

AwesomeButton

Patron

They planned a smaller game to begin with according to their budget, even then they cut stuff apparently like vacuumed areas, it should have been crazy for them to explore more than straight shooter + melee gameplay when even we/most of us didn't expect them to do that well so they went ahead and done that and overwhelming majority thinks combat is good. What else can they do with the fp action gameplay anyway, besides adding more recoil? :) Apparently they chose not to add space magic/ME biotics or what was in Bioshock; magical left hand(?) which I appreciate because FUCK MAGIC and they probably didn't wanna deal with designing levels for PC wearing a jumping jet yet, which is prolly for the sequel :D
I don't care about their current excuse for this half-baked game, I care about what's on the table. So their project went out of scope, how does that make things better or their gameplay more fun.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I couldn't have agreed more, that's more and more my observation as well. Full voiceover was a mistake and almost nothing good came out of it, it mainly bloated the budget of many games, which was wasted on mediocre actors, not to mention degradation of writing.

Codex Year of the Donut
Non-SAG voice acting is pretty cheap
The reason big-name titles pay so much for voice acting is because if you hire one SAG talent, you're required to employ only SAG talent. The VA budget balloons due to that.

Fuck the SAG, btw. They went on strike because video game devs wouldn't give them percentage-based profits like in the animation/film industry. When devs pointed out they do the least amount of work compared to programmers/artists they got butthurt.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I couldn't have agreed more, that's more and more my observation as well. Full voiceover was a mistake and almost nothing good came out of it, it mainly bloated the budget of many games, which was wasted on mediocre actors, not to mention degradation of writing.
Time for my scheduled post in this conversation saying if only the industry realized that sound is as important as graphics, we would have had decent speech synthesis decades ago. Poof, voice acting expenses disappear.

EDIT: This would also mean that procedural characters and dialogue are now okay again. I like handcrafted stuff but it shouldn't be the only option for designers.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Time for my scheduled post in this conversation saying if only the industry realized that sound is as important as graphics, we would have had decent speech synthesis decades ago. Poof, voice acting expenses disappear.
We're about 5-10 years away from good speech synthesis. Which makes my previous post even funnier tbh.
Here's some samples from a project worked on by engineers at Google in ~2017: https://google.github.io/tacotron/publications/tacotron2/index.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom