Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Complete List of Western (Non-Anime) Blobbers - both RT and TB

What type of blobbers do you prefer?

• Total voters

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
That’s the definition of blob movement though...
In blobbers you don't see yourself for you are one with the blob.

You could try building your argument around Albion also being on the list and, outside of two long FPP dungeons and a bit of town wandering, it being primarily a top-down RPG (with all party members being visible in those sequences) with chessboard combat.
Pretty much same with Ultima III to V, but you only see party leader when outside of combat.

V_K

Arcane
Elminage and Dark Spire are Japanese games, and it very much shows in their gameplay, of not necessarily in aesthetics.
Ruzar and Vaporum are single-character games with grid-based movement. If such are allowed, you might as well add Anvil of Dawn, Legacy: Realm of Terror, Keef the Thief and both Elvira games to real-time.

V_K

Arcane
Oh, and Dungeon Kingdom is not released yet, it'll be in early access at least until the end of this year I suspect. Ditto for Arakion.

V_K

Arcane
Sorry for multiposting, I'm just scatterbrained.
Shadow of Yserbius, if you play it in single-player, is, to my knowledge, also single-character (but turn-based).
Rings of Medusa aren't really RPGS (although someone might correct me on that).
There's an Ancients 2, also a blobber. Neither of those are terribly inspired.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The list seems more or less complete now - unless there are some really obscure titles that haven't been included yet.

aweigh Anything else that is missing? (non-anime only)

Barbalos

Savant
Sweet, great thread idea. I'm gonna look these over for games to play later. Xulima I think should count since the combat is turn based and blobber-like, the exploration is also similar to old school blobbers even if not first person.

Thanks for the thread effort Lady Error :salute:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Shadow of Yserbius, if you play it in single-player, is, to my knowledge, also single-character (but turn-based).

Yeah, that is a weird one. Apparently people even recreated the online server, so that it is now possible to have the multiplayer party again. Should probably not be included in the list.

Rings of Medusa aren't really RPGS (although someone might correct me on that).

Rings of Medusa 2 seems to be a blobber, the first one is strategy.

It's in the list under Deep Paths.

Vaporum isn't technically a blobber as you control only a single character. Should there be a separate category for those ?

Yeah, it might be a good idea, but here it is only about blobbers. There are indeed quite a lot of single character 1st person RPG's.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Is Frayed Knights worth playing? I love what I've read about it and love that it looks like the only game in history that has tried to replicate an experience like Wiz 8, but goddamn is it tough to look at.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It seems to be a similar question as whether action games with RPG-elements should have been included in the Top 100 RPG poll.

Do we just keep "pure blobbers" or include "partly blobbers" as well?

Only pure blobbers, otherwise it's a pointless endeavor

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If you include early access, there's Conglomerate 451 in the turn-based category. Cyberpunk themed too, which is a nice change from moldy dungeons every now and then.

Dungeon design looks abysmal, otherwise, early access means unfinished, how would we even evaluate that

Fishy

Savant
If you include early access, there's Conglomerate 451 in the turn-based category. Cyberpunk themed too, which is a nice change from moldy dungeons every now and then.

Dungeon design looks abysmal, otherwise, early access means unfinished, how would we even evaluate that

It certainly is unfinished but didn't think it was a show stopper considering there are entries written down as early access in the list already. As for abysmal design, well yeah, both mechanically and map-design wise, it's more Darkest Dungeon than Dungeon Master. Close to zero exploration challenge, all about turn-based combat and attrition. If that means it shouldn't be there though, then I recommend changing the thread title to "Complete List of Arbitrarily Defined High Quality Western (Non-Anime) Blobbers".

Incendax

Augur
I don’t think single character games should count as blobbers. I acknowledge that they can play IDENTICAL to blobbers, since the term blobber is a joke about a bunch of people mashed together into a single “blob”. But I think that mashing must be present in both movement and combat to qualify as a blobber.

No mashing? No blobber.

Fishy

Savant
I don’t think single character games should count as blobbers. I acknowledge that they can play IDENTICAL to blobbers, since the term blobber is a joke about a bunch of people mashed together into a single “blob”. But I think that mashing must be present in both movement and combat to qualify as a blobber.

Makes sense from a definition point-of-view, but it does feel a bit strange not to put stuff like Anvil of Dawn or Dungeon Hack in there, as apart from the party, they tick pretty much every other box. Funnily enough, the single character is what makes Dungeon Hack so awful, even the shitty dungeons would have been palatable with a party to play with. Maybe an "almost-a-blobber-but-not-quite" category for those games that fall that tiny bit short?

Dorateen

Arcane
I think weak combat, such as in the real-time variations (Eye of the Beholder, Demise) can be overcome by superb exploration and dungeon design. I'm finding right now, as I did last year, the appeal of an excellent blobber is being drawn into magical new lands, that makes it feel like you are chronicling unexplored territory as the party perseveres. That's why the first person view is so crucial, grounding the player in the actual gameworld.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I propose a third category: TACTICAL COMBAT BLOBBER, for games like the Gold Box, Realms of Arcania, Krondor, Dark Heart of Uukrul, Disciples of Steel, Albion, Amberstar, Ambermoon, Perihelion, etc

Also, it makes no sense to keep "anime-RPGs" out.

Also also, list is missing several important Real-Time titles like Anvil of Dawn, Mordor: Depths of Dejenol, Battlespire, Lands of Lore 2, The Legacy and the Elvira games.

Also also also, we should think of a voting system. It has to be something that does not limit votes, does not punish less-known games and stops people from trying to "game" the votes. I propose simply rating a game 1, 2 or skip: skips means you didn't play, 1 means you played but didn't think it was great, 2 menas it was great.

Efe

Erudite
stranger of sword city has nonanime artstyle unless you choose to make it so in options...so its in?

V_K

Arcane
Just looked at Arakion's steam page and it seems like it got a TB combat option last month. I'm wondering if such TB/RT hybrids (M&M6-9, W&W) warrant a separate category...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Rings of Medusa 2 seems to be a blobber, the first one is strategy.
It doesn't have character development as far as I remember. All the stats are survival-related - hunger, thirst etc.

I guess that makes it a non-RPG blobber. Yeah, shouldn't be on the list.

I propose a third category: TACTICAL COMBAT BLOBBER, for games like the Gold Box, Realms of Arcania, Krondor, Dark Heart of Uukrul, Disciples of Steel, Albion, Amberstar, Ambermoon, Perihelion, etc

That's a good idea.

stranger of sword city has nonanime artstyle unless you choose to make it so in options...so its in?

Should probably be in the JRPG list, if anyone is up for creating one.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Also, it makes no sense to keep "anime-RPGs" out.

It does. Anime-RPG's are almost 100% JRPG's, which is its own genre for a good reason. Also, many of us cannot stand playing anime games.

Also also, list is missing several important Real-Time titles like Anvil of Dawn, Mordor: Depths of Dejenol, Battlespire, Lands of Lore 2, The Legacy and the Elvira games.

Aren't all of those single-person (non-blobber) RPG's?

Also also also, we should think of a voting system. It has to be something that does not limit votes, does not punish less-known games and stops people from trying to "game" the votes. I propose simply rating a game 1, 2 or skip: skips means you didn't play, 1 means you played but didn't think it was great, 2 menas it was great.

The easiest way to poll it is in new posts (up to 100 entries each). That means that only "liked it" or "didn't like or didn't play" are the available choices. Then there is also the question how many votes should be available. As many as you want, or a limited amount?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom