Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lobsterfrogman

Scholar
Though that's a moot point in ranked, most of this shit are netdecks down to a single card

Not netdecking in ranked is a CCG equivalent of larping so you really shouldn't be angry about this.

spectre

Arcane
I'm not angry at all I'm merely laughing at wankers who can't think for themselves and adapt a Bo3 playlist for Bo1.

https://mtgarena.pro/decks/7f44bf3e60954a3-f1c47/ I constantly change things around as I move along with it, opted out of having single target removal in favor of carnarium, since most threats run in that 2 hp range and it only threatens my sprites/thieves (and you shouldn't have more than one on the field anyway). Thinking of swapping out doom whisperer for another hostage taker, as I have concoct in case doom goes down (and a bunch of other fat fliers for lategame purposes). The only problem I have is the lack of rare lands for that color combo and no wildcards to spare, if dimir scry lands will come out in the next set it will be pretty great, but then again the hostage will rotate out, so idk if anything worthwhile will cover for it. Hostage aside, it's pretty much rotation proof.

Last edited:
Just got screwed 5 times in a row, with a deck that has ridiculous amount of draw fix, I hope garfield dies in a fire.

:timetoburn:

___

Make that 7, the last game simic mongoloid topdecked 5 counters in a row, I got 4 lands. Uninstalled this piece of shit, never again.

Last edited:
Tried fucking around with calamity spitfire since Dawkins brought it up recently for the non-meta event, I liked the pre-WAR calamity memes, and I hadn't been playing anything super aggro lately. It's pretty fun. Can dunk on opponents relatively hard, and at least the way I built it you aren't completely hosed if your spitfires get killed because I kept a full stack of Flame of Keld in there for the classic Keld+Calamity orbital death laser, which also works well with that 1 drop fire lizard. I had WAR Chandra in there for extra potential gas, but I may pull her for light up the stage or something. The faster draws of LUTS would work better in it even though she's arguably another ticking clock. Plus not running her means any walker hate doesn't have any text which is a bonus.

That's about it though, been plugging away at dailies but haven't been playing much interesting or even getting a boner for trying to make any particular deck work. I don't know if it's just general burnout or if it's cards like 3feri harshing my MTG buzz, since there aren't any decks that send me into a rage if I play AGAINST them.

Saw our next event is singleton, so I dug up my Izzet list from the last singleton event that worked so well and tweaked it a little for M20. Namely marginally nicer manabase (The scryland, and the ETB heal for 1), Drawn from Dreams to get the really gassy cards that lock the game down, replacing Fiery Cannonade with Flame Sweep since it's marginally better for the deck, etc. Also popped the big Chandra in there even though she's probably not worth it since her gradual pings are a bit slow, but hey.

1 Enigma Drake (M19) 216
1 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
10 Mountain (RTR) 265
1 Beacon Bolt (GRN) 154
1 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234
1 Ionize (GRN) 179
1 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
1 Crackling Drake (GRN) 163
1 Ral, Storm Conduit (WAR) 211
1 Hypothesizzle (GRN) 178
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy (GRN) GR5
1 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192
1 Expansion // Explosion (GRN) 224
1 Opt (XLN) 65
1 Pteramander (RNA) 47
1 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
1 Negate (RIX) 44
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
1 Radical Idea (GRN) 52
1 Quench (RNA) 48
1 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
1 God-Eternal Kefnet (WAR) 53
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Drawn from Dreams (M20) 56
1 Sarkhan the Masterless (WAR) 143
1 Finale of Revelation (WAR) 51
1 Shock (M20) 160
1 Shivan Fire (DAR) 142
1 Warlord's Fury (DAR) 151
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Crash Through (M19) 133
1 Lightning Strike (M19) 152
1 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
1 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Spellgorger Weird (WAR) 145
1 Chandra, Fire Artisan (WAR) 119
1 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
9 Island (RTR) 255
1 Izzet Guildgate (GRN) 252
1 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
1 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253
1 Swiftwater Cliffs (M20) 252

Downtick WAR Ral, then play Repeated Reverberation, then cast a bolt at your opponent's face. Don't tell the cops. (Might add to the singleton deck because I about bust a gut laughing testing that) (Although I shouldn't because that's too much combo for singleton, but man oh man)

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
milk more gems!

kinda a losing game tho since they force a 50% win rate I'd rather just hold onto the gold for next set
i meant that if you trully have full set of rares/mythics, it would translate into more gems

it's only 20 gems per rare tho which means like 100-120 gems per draft then you need to win at least 5 times to get around 800 gems total which is break even but the game forces you to 2.5 wins per draft on average :(

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
if you don't know what to play for the event, got an easy 6-0 with this, which is also fun to play:

1 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
8 Swamp (ANA) 63
1 Bloodcrazed Paladin (XLN) 93
1 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord (M20) 115
1 Twilight Prophet (RIX) 88
1 Sanctum Seeker (XLN) 120
1 Champion of Dusk (RIX) 64
1 Bishop of Rebirth (XLN) 5
7 Plains (ANA) 61
1 Paladin of Atonement (RIX) 16
1 Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (WAR) 217
1 Skymarcher Aspirant (RIX) 21
1 Vampire's Zeal (XLN) 43
1 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
1 Martyr of Dusk (RIX) 14
1 Duskborne Skymarcher (XLN) 9
1 Forerunner of the Legion (RIX) 9
1 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
1 Dusk Legion Zealot (RIX) 70
1 Savage Gorger (M20) 291
1 Bloodthirsty Aerialist (M20) 91
1 Vindictive Vampire (RNA) 90
1 Skymarch Bloodletter (M19) 119
1 Thirsting Bloodlord (M20) 293
1 Voracious Vampire (RIX) 91
1 Epicure of Blood (M19) 95
1 Cruel Celebrant (WAR) 188
1 Legion Lieutenant (RIX) 163
1 Call to the Feast (XLN) 219
1 Regal Bloodlord (M19) 222
1 Pitiless Pontiff (RNA) 194
1 Vampire Sovereign (M19) 125
1 Vampire Neonate (M19) 124
1 Bishop's Soldier (XLN) 6
1 Exultant Skymarcher (RIX) 7
1 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
1 Forsaken Sanctuary (RIX) 187
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
1 Orzhov Guildgate (RNA) 252
1 Scoured Barrens (M20) 251
1 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
1 Cryptic Caves (M20) 244
1 Arch of Orazca (RIX) 185
1 Icon of Ancestry (M20) 229
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
1 Vanquisher's Banner (XLN) 251

Glorious Izzet still got me to 6 easy enough, but not as smoothly as last time. Although to be fair a lot of that came down to my opponents having the luck of the fucking devil. Use up 4 counters? Naturally has another counter in hand for Kefnet. Play a planeswalker and I ionize it? Has spell pierce in hand to use that single open blue mana on. 1 drop mana dork into 2 drop dude into 4 drop into Sarkhan? Of coursh. Dual lands on curve every turn in your 3 color singleton elemental tribal deck?

ZdCdA85.jpg

:flamesaw:

(Though I did end up winning that game despite the manascrew. Ionize stopping bullshit and then spellgorger running away with the game meant even the 6 drop Chandra he played didn't completely hose me)

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
this fucking game is just a fight against the algorithm, just play opt and shit so you don't get mana screwed/flooded and voilá. want to play a proper deck with a good curve? fuck you, here's 17 lands in a row

spectre

Arcane
Hit them with that dual striking Lannery Storm, mang.

Anyways, whatever you play in the sexy singles in your area event, I recommend Legion's End and/or Ixalan's Binding and Gagging if you can. Makes all the penitent tryhards scoop on the spot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom