Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Less popular than Ultima Online.

Oh well at least EA owns that, too.

Anthem got a major update today. It added a mode that looks like a simplistic version of Mass Effect 3's coop, and it added one of those seasonal item vendors and a new item slot. I'm all for extra RPG depth in terms of new items and whatnot, but when I played Anthem it was all about stacking damage numbers. Nothing else mattered in the slightest. Furthermore, apparently performance has actually gotten worse (it was terrible at launch).

Oh, and this "huge" update? It was delayed for months. I dislike calling something a "dead game" prematurely. I mean, shit, even No Man's Sky seems to be attempting to turn it around and I know a few people who are pretty happy with it now. But this... this game is fucking dead.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
But this... this game is fucking dead.

250px-079Slowpoke.png

this game is fucking dead.

Very avant-garde, you're only a year late to the party.
Games get called as dead way too early, and several "dead games" have made massive comebacks. The Division made a huge one in the year leading up to the sequel, Destiny 2 maintains a colossal playerbase despite allegedly dying off almost 2 years ago, and even Fallout 76 seems like it's trucking along.

Frankly, it might even be a bit too early to call it for Anthem. If EA doesn't pull the plug (for as unlikely as that is) and lets the devs continue patching and improving it long term, it might become pretty okay in a year or two. It's incredibly unlikely it'll make it that far, though, hence why I'm a bit more comfortable calling it dead at this stage, even if that is still a tad hyperbolic. It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Games get called as dead way too early, and several "dead games" have made massive comebacks. The Division made a huge one in the year leading up to the sequel, Destiny 2 maintains a colossal playerbase despite allegedly dying off almost 2 years ago, and even Fallout 76 seems like it's trucking along.

Frankly, it might even be a bit too early to call it for Anthem. If EA doesn't pull the plug (for as unlikely as that is) and lets the devs continue patching and improving it long term, it might become pretty okay in a year or two. It's incredibly unlikely it'll make it that far, though, hence why I'm a bit more comfortable calling it dead at this stage, even if that is still a tad hyperbolic. It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.

The resurrection of No Mans Sky beamed a divine inspiration straight into the minds of the Execs at these companies and now its literally a business model: release unfinished garbage and then wait a few years for the mongoloid masses and shill journalists/youtubers to decide the game has been saved. Funnily enough NMS is STILL a shitty game that looks nothing like the original trailer, but due to all the mouth breathing sheeple that go googly eyed and weak at the knees over multiplayer and base building its apparently the greatest thing ever...

I would be completely un-surprised if Anthem somehow does resurrect itself eventually, we do live in the Idiocracy and the depths of stupidity and gullibility is boundless...

Codex Year of the Donut

The resurrection of No Mans Sky beamed a divine inspiration straight into the minds of the Execs at these companies and now its literally a business model: release unfinished garbage and then wait a few years for the mongoloid masses and shill journalists/youtubers to decide the game has been saved. Funnily enough NMS is STILL a shitty game that looks nothing like the original trailer, but due to all the mouth breathing sheeple that go googly eyed and weak at the knees over multiplayer and base building its apparently the greatest thing ever...

I would be completely un-surprised if Anthem somehow does resurrect itself eventually, we do live in the Idiocracy and the depths of stupidity and gullibility is boundless...
NMS is still shit.
I hate people who parrot the bullshit "NMS is great now!"
There's fucking nothing to do in the game. It's a big vast empty NOTHING.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Oh no.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/08/15/anthem-lead-ben-irving-leaves-bioware

There have been a lot of questions about the state of Anthem, Bioware's multiplayer online shooter, since its release earlier this year. Those questions have only intensified as rumors of Bioware's head studio in Edmonton has moved on to Dragon Age while shuffling the game off to Bioware Austin, under the watchful eyes of Chad Robertson and Ben Irving. Now, at least, we know that Ben Irving will no longer be involved in the future of Anthem, or the future of Bioware in general.

On Twitter today, Irving announced that he would be leaving Bioware for another gaming company, though he did not say which one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

To be completely fair, Bioware Austin is the studio with the most MMO-like experience, having worked on The Old Republic game. It’s not exactly the same as a looter shooter, but many unnamed Bioware employees griped in that exclusive Anthem article about that experience being ignored. If anything, it’s EA’s best move to shift the development of Anthem to that studio.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still overhauling: http://blog.bioware.com/2019/09/17/what-is-next-for-anthem/

What is next for Anthem

Hello Freelancers,

We’re nearing the end of the Cataclysm, so I wanted to talk about what’s coming for Anthem.

First, I’m proud of our team for creating a fun new experience for our players. It represents the largest post-launch update that we’ve delivered so far. We were humbly excited by the increase in player engagement we’ve seen with the Cataclysm. The team and I appreciate the response and support — it is what keeps us motivated to continue to improve Anthem.

Those of you in our player community that played on our Public Test Server gave us valuable feedback from your play that we used to influence our changes to the game. PTS is an invaluable tool we will leverage for future updates with Anthem. Some of the changes made to the Cataclysm based on your input were:
  • Combat balancing improvements
  • Adjustments for minor-to-major crystal economy
  • Additional types of reward crates, providing more player choice
  • UX tips in load screens to better explain Cataclysm mechanics
  • Final Score Banners to show how much score was gained from playing on higher difficulties
So what’s next for Anthem?

We hear your concerns on core issues in Anthem and are acting on it. Those systems require a more thorough review and re-working versus quick fixes. We’ve got a team working on that now, and early results are promising.

In order to address these long-range plans, we are moving away from the Acts structure for updates. Instead, we have additional seasonal updates planned for this year that we think players will enjoy. These events will deliver challenges and chases similar to what you’ve seen, and are built around some fun themes we’re bringing to the game.

As I’ve said previously, we want to be transparent with you that we know more work needs to be done to make Anthem better. We also want to ensure we’re backing up our words with a great game you can play. So I don’t have any news today to share about the long-term changes we are bringing to Anthem. What I can say is that we will continue to engage with you, our community, through PTS when we can show you what is coming.

Stronger together!

Chad
Head of Live Service

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom