Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

PapaPetro

We raided Crossroads and Tarren Mill for months, maximum carnage and bloodshed. Always nice to see whole town floor covered with skeletons.

Reminds me of the Corrupted Blood pandemic.

7cHL4Bb.jpg

Good times...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

You lay the totem and wait for 2 sec then hit log out. If you time it right when you log out totem still stays but it became an enemy to all around and damage them, even your own fellow horde.
Damage is enough to kill low levels. Killed a lot of gold sellers like that way but there were some colletral damage as bank alts so got reported :D

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
there were some strong NPCs you could kite to major city and let them wreak havoc there

Beastro

Arcane
>no pvp for the first 12 months

>PvP before ranking system ruined it and killed all spontaneous town vs town PvP because of DHKs.*

They were already fucking with open world PvP by shutting down town raiding.

First came the mass spawn that would come from attacking windriders, then they removed the respawn timer on guards so you'd constantly have to deal with them.

It was pretty fucking sad to see a game set up conflict between two factions then so ardently punish people for actually RPing their respective sides.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Good, world PvP and raiding was an annoyance in vanilla :incline:

Outside of the same old grind to max level and gear grab along the way what else where there?

It was nice to see in WoW genuine, spontaneous player conflict as people eagerly sought to enact the good old conflict between the two sides like they'd experienced in the RTS series. The problem was the developers didn't want that and didn't from the start, hence the removal of cross team chat from the get go lest people flood CS with complaints of random people hurting their feelings.

Most people don't realize it, but Fansy had his own WoW career later on after FoH had finished its main run on WoW. His shtick there was buying and using a second account to make an Alliance character specifically to interact with that side as he ganked newbies in Redridge with a Horde character, you know, the same shit we Flowers had done in EQ and many other MMOs without having to find, and pay for, silly work-arounds like that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Always got a laugh out of some beta calling someone a 'carebear' for playing the same VIDEO GAME they're also playing. Not like you're in Vietnam, bro.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They were already fucking with open world PvP by shutting down town raiding.

First came the mass spawn that would come from attacking windriders, then they removed the respawn timer on guards so you'd constantly have to deal with them.

It was pretty fucking sad to see a game set up conflict between two factions then so ardently punish people for actually RPing their respective sides.
And good thing they did everything in their power to stop city raids. As Warhammer Online proved, non-instanced PvP with only 2 factions is a very, very bad idea and almost single-handedly destroyed that game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Always got a laugh out of some beta calling someone a 'carebear' for playing the same VIDEO GAME they're also playing. Not like you're in Vietnam, bro.

Well, you have to be some kind of retard to complain about open PvP when you can avoid it by... playing on a PvE server.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Well, you have to be some kind of retard to complain about open PvP when you can avoid it by... playing on a PvE server.
I have no idea what kind of retard you have to be to complain about world pvp when half the servers have that disabled by default. People bitching about getting ganked deserve to be ridiculed when there is a clear and obvious remedy available to them.

Beastro

Arcane
I have no idea what kind of retard you have to be to complain about world pvp when half the servers have that disabled by default. People bitching about getting ganked deserve to be ridiculed when there is a clear and obvious remedy available to them.

I played on RZ in EQ while not being a good PvPer myself. I couldn't trade the atmosphere, even at a personal level that the PvP climate produced, even when I did bitch when I got ganked and lost gear.

And good thing they did everything in their power to stop city raids. As Warhammer Online proved, non-instanced PvP with only 2 factions is a very, very bad idea and almost single-handedly destroyed that game.

That could have been due to the culture of the game and prolly the change in mindset by the time it was released. I do know games can produce varying attitudes among the same people. Shadowbane and Darkfall are good examples of that and how differently players approached the game.

WoW town raids were not some huge problem at release, just a random mass of people that pushed towards a city, took it over and then got pushed back out, largely governed by the spawn distances of each side. Astranaar raids were that seesaw until we got pushed back to the zone line of the barrens, and while the town got disrupted, it wasn't for very long. Same with the later Hillsbrad fights.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
WoW doesn't have meaningful/quantifiable rewards for open world PvP, so it wouldn't have ever been as big of a problem as in Warhammer Online where the other faction can take over your capitols for weeks and you can't do anything after that because you are outnumbered 10 to 1. Either way, WoW was never designed to be a PvP game and the devs have said countless times throughout the years that PvE is their focus.

What people fondly remember is the occasional skirmish between the factions, it wouldn't have worked if this was day-to-day gameplay and you couldn't complete any quests for weeks because the other faction has captured your towns or are constantly killing the quest givers. Blizzard were very shrewd when they decided not to give rewards for open world PvP and not to allow capturing of towns. Such design needs a third faction.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The only reward some people need is the fun of it. I know, it's shocking that people sometimes do things for fun in a video game, but it's true.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just like I said, it doesn't have quantifiable rewards. And believing people will do something consistently just for the fun of it in an MMO that is expected to last for years is naive and perhaps out-of-touch with human nature.

The only reward some people need is the fun of it. I know, it's shocking that people sometimes do things for fun in a video game, but it's true.

No, people in WoW need rewards which are rendered completely obsolete by the time next expansion rolls in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom