Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favorite RTwP RPG that I might not know about?

PsychoFox

Educated
After playing a bunch of TB games recently, i want to switch gears and go for a bit of RTwP, so please, recommend me some of your own favorites that might not know about. Obviously i know about Planescape, Baldur's Gate etc. But feel free to mention them regardless if you can't help yourself :P

Modron

Arcane
Do you want round based real time with pause games like Infinity Engine games? If so The River of Time is pretty good and the Game of Thrones rpg is decent as well(I guess technically it doesn't have a pause but a strong time dilation when issuing commands but I am still going to call it a pause).

Now there are a number decent of non round based real time games with pauses during which you can issue commands, off the top of my head I can think of the aforementioned Darklands, Prince of Qin (and the sequel Seal of Evil to a lesser extant), I can't recall if you could pause the Summoner but that is worth playing for sure, and that's about all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

Tower of Time
Been on the fence about this, give impressions.

Codex Year of the Donut
Been on the fence about this, give impressions.
Combat is much more tactical than a typical RTwP game, it can be compared to Aarklash: Legacy if you've ever played that.
A lot of story, good itemization, and a big ass dungeon to explore. The combat on higher difficulties will kick your ass repeatedly.

Aarklash: Legacy has some of the best RTwP battles out there. It kinda lacks everywhere else though

*Not sure if "pure RPG"
I'd recommend playing Tower of Time if you haven't, it's basically Aarklash: Legacy's combat attached to a real game.

GameBanshee reviewed it a few weeks ago BTW http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/122264-tower-of-time-review/all-pages.html
Codex thread here, but it didn't get much love: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...d-real-time-isometric-dungeon-crawler.117040/

Martyr

Arcane
seconding Darklands. also Kenshi, another open world sandbox RPG.
- 7.62 High Calibre, Brigade E5 (Jagged Alliance style) and The Fall: Last Days of Gaia (Fallout style)
- Demise: Ascension, Fall of the Dungeon Guardians (blobbers)
- Freedom Force, Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich (superhero themed)
- Aarklash Legacy, The Dwarves, Tower of Time, Ember, Kyn, Serpent in the Staglands, Drakensang (trying to be Baldur's Gate, some of them more than others)

my favorites, out of all these I mentioned: Darklands, Kenshi, 7.62 and Demise: Ascension.

deuxhero

Arcane
Kingmaker, because it has a turn based mod.

7.62 and Freedom Force are good games, but they can't really be said to use the same combat system as Darklands. They actually are, genuinely, real time games. They just let the player pause to issue orders at their leisure. It's a feature in the single player mode of many a modern RTS.

V_K

Arcane
Faery Tale Adventure: Halls of the Dead. It's woefully unfinished but very charming.
Vaporum, because RTwP is just perfect for blobbers. It also has an autopause mode, so you can play it as turn-based if you want. Ditto for Wizards&Warriors, although its autopause can be a bit wonky.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
As has been mentioned, the 2012 Game of Thrones RPG. It's quite linear and has KOTOR-esque gameplay that's nothing to write home about but the writing is fantastic - some clunky dialogue, and the voice acting is all over the map, but the quest design and the worldbuilding are quite good, and the plot (despite a couple of iffy twists and some pacing issues) and characters are some of the best in any game I've ever played. The character of Mors alone is enough reason to play the game.

And if you haven't played Kingmaker, obviously play Kingmaker, it's a great RtwP game (although apparently the TB mod is well-done I haven't played the game since the mid was available).

PsychoFox

Educated
As has been mentioned, the 2012 Game of Thrones RPG. It's quite linear and has KOTOR-esque gameplay that's nothing to write home about but the writing is fantastic - some clunky dialogue, and the voice acting is all over the map, but the quest design and the worldbuilding are quite good, and the plot (despite a couple of iffy twists and some pacing issues) and characters are some of the best in any game I've ever played. The character of Mors alone is enough reason to play the game.

And if you haven't played Kingmaker, obviously play Kingmaker, it's a great RtwP game (although apparently the TB mod is well-done I haven't played the game since the mid was available).
I would play more Kingmaker but it stutters for me for no reason.

laclongquan

Arcane
Prince of Qin is more like slow Real Time than RTwP, from the feel of it. But if you want fantasy it is the choice.

Now for Scifi, UFO Aftershock and UFO Afterlight is the great underrated RTwP games~

Master

Arbiter
Freedom Force, you can set it to slow-mo instead of pause. Sensible enough...

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

I would play more Kingmaker but it stutters for me for no reason.
Ok then fix your computer.
But in the interim, play the 2012 Cyanide GoT game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom