Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Shadenuat

Arcane
They still get stuff like withdraw, buffs, and I think Skaenites even gain invis and backstab (not sure) so makes sense for soloing.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You obviously need invis for solo so what does it matter if it eats a spell slot. To me Cler/Wiz as solo makes total sense.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, now that you mention Skaen's invis it makes sense. Withdraw could've come from a scroll, so that isn't as necessary. Isn't there also a pot of invis? I was expecting Rogue for the damage and utility, but I guess Wiz covers the damage department well enough.

Shadenuat

Arcane
swear I don't remember but if there was one, you probably would still want high level crafted scrolls taking all your belt for when your ability batteries run out. the dude on video has grimoires in them so I assume he switches spells.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, it's in RTwP (not surprising) with a Priest/Wizard. Which is surprising considering how nerfed Priests are, I was expecting maybe Druid/Wizard or Rogue/Wizard.
The priest spell that extends buff duration seems to be a favorite of the obsidian forums.

Yes, it's pretty awesome. For example coupled with a cipher's Ascension or fighter's Unbending.

The nice thing is that the extension time is fixed, so extending some short duration poweful buffs really makes a difference.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Decided to give the game a third go, fully patched and tb.

Tb seems instant incline over vanilla, but then you can immediately realize how little effort went into it. I created assassin to backstab people without twitch micro in tb and first thing I noticed:

1. There's a skill that makes you invisible that costs 2 resource and is a full action.
2. There's also a skill that makes you invisible that costs 1 resource and is a free action.

Gee, if only they had an inhouse balance expert to skim through this shit in like an hour or two and pinpoint the most obvious problems.

Anyways, played through the initial parts and reached the Tikitaka-we'rereallyreallybadatnamingstuff capital.

Whenever I try to do a quest that involves fighting all the neutral guards flock like flies to shit and attack me.

jesus.jpg

Read the net. Multiple posts describing how that happens when they play tb, ranging in dates from when it was introduced to recent. Some replies that "yes that is a bug, thanks for reporting".

Wow, yes, this is, in fact, a bug. Quite a serious one at that.

Feck off.

drgames

Scholar
Decided to give the game a third go, fully patched and tb.

Tb seems instant incline over vanilla, but then you can immediately realize how little effort went into it. I created assassin to backstab people without twitch micro in tb and first thing I noticed:

1. There's a skill that makes you invisible that costs 2 resource and is a full action.
2. There's also a skill that makes you invisible that costs 1 resource and is a free action.

Gee, if only they had an inhouse balance expert to skim through this shit in like an hour or two and pinpoint the most obvious problems.

Anyways, played through the initial parts and reached the Tikitaka-we'rereallyreallybadatnamingstuff capital.

Whenever I try to do a quest that involves fighting all the neutral guards flock like flies to shit and attack me.

jesus.jpg

Read the net. Multiple posts describing how that happens when they play tb, ranging in dates from when it was introduced to recent. Some replies that "yes that is a bug, thanks for reporting".

Wow, yes, this is, in fact, a bug. Quite a serious one at that.

Feck off.

It is really sad what you have been through, mister Zboj. May you be interested to play the true incline, like P:K with the tb mod....you know, something which is not turd and worth playing?

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, now that you mention Skaen's invis it makes sense. Withdraw could've come from a scroll, so that isn't as necessary. Isn't there also a pot of invis? I was expecting Rogue for the damage and utility, but I guess Wiz covers the damage department well enough.

There's invis potion but especially given how pot animations aren't 100% reliable in RTwP I'd want to be able to cast invis as an ability/spell. Priests are a big favourite for many optimisers due to Brilliant.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

Gosh thank-you Infintron for posting the responses by Josh about the plaques and stuff because it is a very grueling challenge that only a few will be able to do so it is awesome that there is already one player and what looks to be a second who have been able to provide real proof they completed one of the most difficult runs in a game ever. Congratulations to those who receive this mighty award and even better that you made Josh etch the letters upon the pure gold your accomplishment will forever be remembered for.

Thanks,
Sherry

The Real Fanboy
Dear Pillars of Eternity 2 Investor,

As you may already know, Obsidian joined the Microsoft family late last year - we are excited for them for this next stage in their journey of making unique and creative games and can't wait to see what they do next! As a part of this transition, Microsoft has also recently purchased Fig's publishing rights for Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, for a price of $315,000.

Our goal has been to get fans involved in the financial funding and growth of the games that they love while providing for the opportunity to also participate in the financial returns. Based on proceeds from the Microsoft purchase and sales of the Pillars of Eternity 2 game from Q1 2019, we will be making a final dividend of $205.08 per share (bringing the cumulative return to 52% on each $1,000 share) around September 18th of this year. This total, as well as all previous dividends, also includes sales from all DLC of Pillars of Eternity 2, even though the right to share in this revenue was not included in the licensing agreement between Fig and Obsidian. As an investor in Fig Game Shares - Pillars of Eternity 2, you have helped support Obsidian and the development of Pillars of Eternity 2. The game simply would not be what it is without you!

If you are curious about how this game performed in relation to other Fig Game Shares, our CEO wrote a blog post sharing game-by-game results here.

Microsoft bought the publishing rights to Deadfire!

(https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/cldd3l/final_poe2_dividend_of_20508_52_return/)

Tenebris

Scholar
Just how many times is this game going to be on sale? it's been on sale more than it's not at this point.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So I'm playing the hell out of Pathfinder: Kingmaker with the TB mod at the moment, and I'm in a state of bliss.

I've played PoE (very engaging till about half-way through, then my interest dropped off a cliff), but I haven't played Deadfire yet (I must confess to being someone who's bored by pirates and sailing ships).

Just as a matter of curiosity, how does the TB option in Deadfire compare to the TB mod in PF:K? Does it feel integrated in the way that hsinyucuan's managed to do with the P:K mod, or does it feel like an afterthought?

PsychoFox

Educated
So I'm playing the hell out of Pathfinder: Kingmaker with the TB mod at the moment, and I'm in a state of bliss.

I've played PoE (very engaging till about half-way through, then my interest dropped off a cliff), but I haven't played Deadfire yet (I must confess to being someone who's bored by pirates and sailing ships).

Just as a matter of curiosity, how does the TB option in Deadfire compare to the TB mod in PF:K? Does it feel integrated in the way that hsinyucuan's managed to do with the P:K mod, or does it feel like an afterthought?

It's an afterthought with massive balance issues. Encounters also take forever. Not recommend for TB, but i do wholeheartedly recommend it in general.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I wrote a long rundown like one or two pages ago

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Thanks!

PsychoFox

Educated

Can you link to it cause i can't seem to find it (maybe i'm going blind).

Also on an unrelated note, i found this bit from your write up on RTwP games so poignant.
Exposure to actual quality might bring you to the realization that the games industry is stuck in a juvenile rut, and has been since the inception of the medium.

As someone who is going through all these supposed masterpieces for the first time in 2019, i can't help but to scoff at most of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom