Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
I tried vanilla again and holy shit...is there some mod to turn it back so its not tailor-made for multiplayer?
Or which older version is best to pirate that is not super balanced so that everyone are the same fast?
I don't see the point in playing like this its just...every game turns into same shit because now all big powers are exactly the same lvl.

I play with "No Voltaire in Africa" mod and recommend it. Makes the gameplay more realist.

That's why I'm recommending this mod:

It adds variable institution spread bonus/malus to nations of different Tech Groups, giving a higher chance of a historical scenario playing out.

Don't worry the game will still be very dynamic, much more so than how it was before institutions.

-----------------------
- Native Americans will not adopt the institutions of their neighbors anymore.

- Knowledge sharing used less by AI (Requires more prerequisistes, a free thinking leader etc.)

Western = + 10% Institution spread (all provinces)

Eastern = -10%

Anatolian = -40%

Muslim = -60%

Indian = -60%

East African = -90%

West African = -100%

Central African = -110%

Chinese = -55%

Nomad = -60% (-75 with their government)

Mesomerican = -80%

Andean = -80%

North American = -100%

South American = -110%

+ All the new MEIOU/VEF/Extended Timeline techs, if you run any of those mods :)
-----------------------

This mod fires a triggered modifier that checks the tech groups of countries and adds this modifier based on the nations tech group. It's persistant throughout the game with all nations and tech groups.

Compatible with all mods, even if it changes institutions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!!! The mod is compatible with any version despite that it says "out of date" !!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are free to use this file in your mod.

It's not perfect but pretty much solves this problem.

Frozen

Arcane
And i don't have china,yeah that must be it. Also my version have fun missions. Would recommend giving it a try.

It had China in old version but this new one I found- 2.04 doesn't lol
I mean, it has map of china but its uncolonized at the beginning and there is just one starting date-600something BC
Is it the same with you?
Older version I used to play had dozen of starting dates.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And i don't have china,yeah that must be it. Also my version have fun missions. Would recommend giving it a try.

It had China in old version but this new one I found- 2.04 doesn't lol
I mean, it has map of china but its uncolonized at the beginning and there is just one starting date-600something BC
Is it the same with you?
Older version I used to play had dozen of starting dates.
Yeah,i assume that they are reworking it or optimizing it. Even with the removed parts it is far superior game than imperator.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But acting like vanilla Eu4 was playable is fucking crazy talk
Vanilla EU4 gave me the following unforgettable experience of historical strategy gameplay:

4 AM in the morning, I'm on my first playthrough of my first Steam game - EU4.

I am playing with Spain, and I press the Aztecs a bit too hard in a conquest war. I think, what of it, they are savages, who wil care. They go and form a coalition with France and Morocco and the three - Aztec, muslim Morocco and catholic France - attack me as an alliance. Ragequit.
Did Coalitions even exist in vanilla eu4? I remember then being added after by dlc update.
They did exist. The coalition mapmode may have arrived later.

Frozen

Arcane
I have a problem. Im really really pissed right now. v 1.28.3 I have only all DLCs no mods

Around 1700 all the time game crashes when I try to save and ALL I repeat ALL saves (I have multiple) wont load after that. Its just desktop. Range of game saves goes from 1590ish to 1650ish

I tried clean install, windowed mode or without DLCs
This morning it load a save without all DLCs now it wont do it in any way. It starts to load like first part and when it has to change map to my game state its just black screen then desktop.

And of course its pirated I have no fucking intent to ever give a dime to these stinking Sweede leaches. I also upgraded graphic drivers yesterday to see would it help.

I got a 6 6 6 queen in this playthrough, all saves I have are round 49~50something MB (no compression) and if it doesn't work im going on Paradox Brejvik style.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
So I've been putting out getting into this for years, due to not owning all the DLC - so I did something stupid like paying way too much and buying everything I didn't have yesterday.

So, any starting hints on how this (full spec) is wildly different to EUIII, CKII, VickyII? I had a lot of fun mainly playing as Austria in EUIII. Is that still the case here? Has anyone played the tutorial, and is it worth it?

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
So, any starting hints on how this (full spec) is wildly different to EUIII, CKII, VickyII? I had a lot of fun mainly playing as Austria in EUIII. Is that still the case here? Has anyone played the tutorial, and is it worth it?

It's very different from CK2 and Vicky2, but of course plays a lot like EU3. You should have fun with Austria, try colonizing Australia for the achievement.

If by tutorial, you mean Portugal, it's a great country to pick for beginners (tip: colonize the Caribbean and be richer than Lord British).

thesecret1

Arcane
TLDR: Estates are bad and they want to fix them but no commitment here to whether they do anything at all.

Clearly they need to scrap the current system and rebuild it from the ground up, it should be something more like Council from CK2, that has real ramifications and consequences on the game, instead of another shitty "click a button and get mana" system. I think Estates have huge potential to simulate internal empire management, make large empires more difficult to run etc. This could be something that really "fixes" EU4.

BUT WHO KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN!?
Probably nothing that great.
They should just copy the system from MEIOU

thesecret1

Arcane
The base game is fun enough (provided you mod some stuff like no Voltaire in Africa).
It really isn't. Base game is so shallow it's practically even with surrounding terrain. I literally can't play it without MEIOU or VeF, so as to get some amount of depth.

MEIOU and autism
Parts of MEIOU are great, but other parts... half the game is tucked away behind some text menus with vague information.
Which information do you find vague? It used to be a big issue in older versions, but the newer ones have mostly everything explained to you in tooltips and similar

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That's really just a matter of taste there, how much you want detail or more arcadey elements (similarly, Pdox games now are explicitly designed as an a la carte game with a baseline you can effortlessly slap mods on or easily make mods yourself to get the sort of experience you want; the base game, more than anything, is always there to provide mechanical possibilities for the modding scene and showcase a vaguely sort-of-balanced set of features). I personally would recommend MEIOU I suppose five times out of ten, but there's a side to playing Extended Timeline Mod too.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just form the Roman Empire in Veritas,fuck that HRE war was painful.
I prefer VeF over MEIOU by now.
MEIOU just goes too far for me in its simulation aspects.

Like... good luck trying to form Ireland and get anywhere with it. Literally, luck is the only thing you need. If England decides to attack you too soon, it's over, and there's nothing you can do about it as you can't really engage in diplomacy in Europe as long as you are a clan and you'll remain a clan VERY long.
Is that realistic? Sure is!
Is it fun to play? No. Not at all.
I had to try six times until I just got lucky and England was kept busy enough by other nations for me to have enough time to prepare.

I'm fine with the game putting serious obstacles in the way of my map painting, in fact you kinda need mods if you want any obstacles at all... but I see no point in making things basically impossible without luck streaks. That's just dead gameplay.

Which information do you find vague? It used to be a big issue in older versions, but the newer ones have mostly everything explained to you in tooltips and similar
Last time I played (about 1-2 years ago?) you spent more time in text-walled event menus than you did in the actual game.
Seemed to me they were trying to do way more than a mod should do in EUIV.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Last time I played (about 1-2 years ago?) you spent more time in text-walled event menus than you did in the actual game.
Last time I played was about half a year ago, and I didn't have this problem. The only times I entered any of the menus was to either deal with the estates (revoke privileges, bribe, request help... very straightforward stuff), increase spending on education and court, or check stats like stability. The only other text menu that comes to mind is provincial one, but even there it's just about whether you wanna build roads or forts or want to check some province stats. Again, nothing to spend much time on.

Seemed to me they were trying to do way more than a mod should do in EUIV.
I mean, sure, they managed to turn EU4 into a decent game, after all :lol: There's pops now, mana has been made significantly less important compared to money than in base game, there's internal politics to deal with as well as actually simulationist anti-blobbing measures. Requires some learning, sure, but it's pretty great.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
My last veritas milan game :)

64fvaPn.png

4yaMTpU.png

uYQIz5h.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom