Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Outpost Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/944180/announcements/detail/1599260807119647902

Game Release
9 AUG @ 10:55AM - FRANKY

Titan Outpost, our first RPG, is now available. Curious? Stick around.

What is Titan Outpost?

It is an RPG with survival, base building and adventure elements set on Titan, the 6th moon of Saturn. It is traditional, true to PnP roots and old-school in some ways, and innovative in others.

How does it work?

The dialogue and negotiation systems, the temperature-based survival aspects, the base construction and the world map all feature gameplay that is either completely unique or a combination of tried-and-true things that have never been tied together before in this way.

At the core is the game’s character system. Most RPGs focus on combat and combat related skills, but Titan Outpost is different. Your character sheet contains ‘science’, ‘construction’, ‘negotiation’, ‘exploration’ and ‘hacking’ skills, for example. You can gain experience points, level up and increase these skills like in any other RPG, but the way they affect what is happening in the game world is different.

You know how, when you talk to people in an RPG, it is always the same tree-based conversation? You ask a question, and the NPC gives you an answer. In Titan Outpost, you’ll feel right at home if you like this sort of thing, but whenever you start negotiating, it becomes more involved. You can interject with leverage, you can change the goal of your conversation, you can select pushy responses or backpedal and you can influence the dialogue in other ways. You can finally cover the flanks in a battle of words instead of always taking it head on with a couple of options.

Getting around on Titan is difficult. The average surface temperature is −179 °C (−290 °F), so you drive around in a heavily isolated and heated rover, and when you absolutely have to traverse anywhere on foot, you do so in a specialized suit. Time is the currency here: Every minute spent outside drains your suit's charge. Limited nutrition, your oxygen supply and other elements combine to provide a tense survival atmosphere.

You can expand the Outpost as you would in a base builder game, with resource management and a top-down interface. Your character skills partly determine how you can go about this. You can be a curious scientist, a savvy entrepreneur, a ruthless ecowarrior, a smooth-talking diplomat, a stoic engineer, an intrepid explorer or anything in between.

What is the setting?

It is hard retro-science fiction. If you’re familiar with ‘Mohs Scale of Science Fiction Hardness’, it means that there is no faster-than-light travel, there is no technology that surpasses our own enough to be considered magic and everything is explained through in-universe physics. Of course, it’s still fiction and there is enough leeway for interesting concepts.

What’s retro about it? It’s based on sci-fi from the 1970’s, both visually and thematically. What if the oil crisis was as bad as they thought it was back then? The cold war antagonism has shifted to the Chinese, but the divide is very real. The game is set in 2077, a hundred years after this period. To us, it could almost be considered near-future. Some of the themes explored in the game are more relevant to us today than they ever were.

Humanity is in the midst of an energy crisis and the future of civilisation is in peril.
Your mission is a last-ditch effort at satiating your species’ ever-growing thirst for fuel. With unmitigated growth, environmental change was inevitable. Earth’s equator is slowly becoming a lifeless desert. Endless fields of solar arrays gave us some breathing room, but collective efforts at temperature regulation only compounded our energy problems. We colonized the moon in 2060 and the demand for energy only grew larger.
In crisis, people united. Europe, West-Russia, The United States, Japan and most South American countries united to form the International Autonomous Space Association. You work this supranational organisation.
A cold war has arisen between your employers and the economically powerful Chinese, who are working on colonising Mars and also have a presence in the Saturnian system. On frosty Titan, this war will literally be very cold indeed.
Harvest the moon’s abundant hydrocarbon resources and uncover its mysteries. Explore the orange moon, visit lakes of methane and establish a mining operation. The extremely cold climate will be your biggest enemy. Or will it?

So there is no violence in the game?

There is no combat system, but that doesn’t mean there is no violence. Exploring the ethics of a new frontier in extremely harsh conditions without any sort of physical violence would disingenuous.

Should I buy Titan Outpost?

If you want to try something new, by all means. If you like RPGs because of the combat? Probably not, although you might be surprised that waging battle without physical violence can be engaging, too.

In bullet points:
  • You can join two major factions, and choose to ally yourself with three independent organisations.
  • There are five completely distinct ways to end the game.
  • 33 quests, a lot of them with multiple sub-quests. They're called missions to fit the theme, but we all know what they are.
  • Continuous spherical world map lets you explore the entire moon with over 40 unique locations.
  • A sprawling hard sci-fi plot-line with a cast of 23 characters. The story has a couple of branches and, depending on who you trust, 22 unreliable narrators. Rely on your character's hacking skill or your awareness and insight to reveal the truth.
  • Expand your base by melting away water ice 'rock' and placing modular elements.
  • Gather allies or hire employees to get up to 8 people to populate your base
  • Multiple quest solutions and non-binary outcomes.
  • Discrete time system, where every passing second determines unfolding events and the game world continues while your character sleeps.
  • Logistical elements , think original Dune adventure meets the strategic layer of X-com.
  • Full soundtrack, fully voiced dialogue.
  • Realistic orbital system of Saturn for your astronomical pleasure.
This is where I would like to thank everyone who supported me these last three years. The testing crew, the cast, the people who put up with the long hours and most importantly, the community. Without your enthusiasm, I wouldn’t have made it this far.

PsychoFox

Educated
Let me ask you the important question: How buggy is your game? Give me an honest answer. I love this indie-RPG revival, but i've got too burned with unstable releases lately.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Let me ask you the important question: How buggy is your game? Give me an honest answer. I love this indie-RPG revival, but i've got too burned with unstable releases lately.

It's very stable, as in it hasn't crashed for any of the testers since early Alpha.

There are might -well, let's be real here and say it's probable- be some quirks or balance issues left in, but nothing that breaks the game or gets you stuck as far as I know. You can't get stuck story-wise either. If you kill everyone or mess everything up but somehow manage to not die, for example, your character gets an alternate ending.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
za9BEBJ.png

Launchin' that bad boi now.

:yeah:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
334UgHL.png

A huge exploit in the game (a bug obviously). You can raise your skill points into infinite numbers by skill number manipulation. Raising one skill above 3 grants you 1 additional skill point into other skill, but when you lower the score of the primary skill (one which gave you bonus in the first place) this additional value does not disappear.

You see I have 10 skill points to distribute, I should be able to distribute 4.

Of curse Gigachad will use the additional advantage, but devs, patch it ASAP.

EDIT: Okay I checked further and only synergy of Science+Construction effects in this exploit.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Is this TB?.
It is a very important question, but it doesn't have traditional combat, so there is no straight answer. Negotiation is a very involved process, and that is turn-based. The game runs in discrete time chunks of 1 second and everything is calculated based on that, so the survival, exploration and base building aspects are like strategy/sim games where you queue up actions and then pass time to perform them. Travelling on the world map works like in Fallout 1. Methane shipments arrive every 30 days, so you can even consider parts of the game to be 1 turn/month.

A huge exploit in the game.

Ah. Good catch. The synergies are part of the 'applied physics' perk. It is apparently active at the start of the game when it shouldn't be. Fixing it as we speak. It will be in Monday's patch. The bizarro proportions are intentional, that's entirely up to the player. Maybe I should make 'unrealistic proportions' an option in the settings menu, though, before Steam gets flooded with screenshots like those ;)

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
There are UI issues. A lot of it stems from improper resolution implementation methinks, even though I'm runnin' the game in 1900x1200, but some things are just poor design choices. Look at this:

shkK6JE.jpg

This is fits badly 'cause of resolution.

qPPR5iL.jpg

This is bad 'cause menus overlap and you can't use them effectively. When I launch UI of some device then your personal menu should roll in.

FxJetif.jpg

Same thing, but I can do better...

2mnYNYf.jpg

PbBhxG5.jpg

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
It only supports 16:9 aspect ratio. I'm not sure why the launcher suddenly allows other options, but it will be fixed. In the meantime, just run a 16:9 aspect ratio and it should scale correctly. None of it should ever overlap.

When I launch UI of some device then your personal menu should roll in.

Yes, that makes total sense. The test team and I got into the habit of keeping it rolled in most of the time so it never came up. Thank you.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Picked up the game today and about to give it a try for real. Was screwing around with character creation before and noticed two issues. First, it is possible to continue out of character creation without doing the attributes and skills, which are then set to zero with no points in the bank. Other is that I was given the "Full House" achievement immediately after starting the game.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Crashes on mine after the supercool boar logo.
It never crashed for any of the testers. Did you receive an error message? There are no loading screens because everything should load fast enough not to be noticable, but if the system has some kind of issue with disk access, it can take long enough that it seems to crash. I should have just included a loading screen. Putting it in the patch. If it really does crash, I have no idea what's wrong in your case. Can you please give me your system specs?

Picked up the game today and about to give it a try for real. Was screwing around with character creation before and noticed two issues. First, it is possible to continue out of character creation without doing the attributes and skills, which are then set to zero with no points in the bank. Other is that I was given the "Full House" achievement immediately after starting the game.

That sounds like a test flag is set on the release version. Damnit. Maybe it's a better idea to get a quick patch out for the resolution and starting issues now than to wait for monday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom