Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Seriously though, how the fuck does Dragon Wars not make it in the list?

Electryon

Savant
I'm sorry, I don't care how much of an elitist snob you are about ARPGs, the idea that Kingdom Come: Deliverance is 30 spots above Diablo 2 is absolute lunacy. But it's not just that. It that Battle Brothers and fucking Elminage Gothic are ahead of it as well. And frankly, any list that doesn't have it in the top-10 is laughable to begin with. Moreover Prey is even an OPTION and Path of Exile and Grim Dawn are nowhere to be found?? A good 25% of this thing is contrarian bullshit masquerading as actual good taste.

S.torch

Arbiter
but people that bash story focused games think that gameplay is just combat.

And people that defend story focused games think reading walls of text and watching mini movies constitute gameplay.

No. While just reading through a text not constitute gameplay in itself, text-based games are a thing, and the origin of the RPG genre is based in the pen-and-paper games and just like it's name tells, are games based on reading and talking. So you can have gameplay "while reading walls of text".

I agree that early to mid '90s R.P.G.s are great: Most of my favorites come from that era, like Final Fantasy 4, 6 and 7, Dark Half, Lufia 2, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 4, Energy Breaker, Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid; and pertinent to this list of C.R.P.G.s, Superhero League of Hoboken, Bloodnet. I think this list represented them pretty well, with Fallout, Deus Ex, Ultima 7 and Underworld, etc.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Normally I stay out of yearly lists like this but eh, whatever. This is a list of the top 101 RPGs now. No attention to any historical significance. Just today's list.

Here are my gripes:

1. Tales of the Unknown: The Bard's Tale. It has significan... wait, fuck this. You know what? This is why I hate these goddamn lists. This list not only doesn't have Tales of the Unknown: The Bard's Tale, but it doesn't have Temple of Apshai, Sword of Fargoal and a metric shit ton of more relevant games. Gothic 3 contributed what, exactly? Arx Fatalis contributed what, exactly? An updated version of a game we wanted more of? Look, I see where this is going and I have no doubt that Wasteland will be off of this list in about 2 years.

All I am saying is that "You light up my life" by Debbie Boon was rated the top song of the 70's - ahead of Stairway to Heaven, ahead of a lot of good stuff. Why? Because it was the latest and greatest when the list was collected. Your list sucks, you suck, and I hate everyone.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
All I am saying is that "You light up my life" by Debbie Boon was rated the top song of the 70's - ahead of Stairway to Heaven, ahead of a lot of good stuff. Why? Because it was the latest and greatest when the list was collected. Your list sucks, you suck, and I hate everyone.
You Light Up My Life is a lame song but Stairway is at best the Dragon Age: Origins of 70s rock: a polished but derivative work cobbled together from the pieces of superior examples of the genre (Zeppelin are notorious thieves) that achieved widespread popularity because it contained all the requisite pieces despite failing to excel in any particular area.

To your point, the top 10 games have barely changed and are pretty much all 15-25 years old, yet people still recognize their greatness. There are newer games on the list and some are real incline (AoD, Kingmaker, Bohemian Peasant Simulator) and some are not, and made the list for the reasons you mention, but I'd be surprised if they stay highly-ranked over the next few years.

Darkforge

Augur
I'm sorry, I don't care how much of an elitist snob you are about ARPGs, the idea that Kingdom Come: Deliverance is 30 spots above Diablo 2 is absolute lunacy. But it's not just that. It that Battle Brothers and fucking Elminage Gothic are ahead of it as well. And frankly, any list that doesn't have it in the top-10 is laughable to begin with. Moreover Prey is even an OPTION and Path of Exile and Grim Dawn are nowhere to be found?? A good 25% of this thing is contrarian bullshit masquerading as actual good taste.

Yeah come to think of it at this point Path of exile shits all over Diablo 2 as well.

but people that bash story focused games think that gameplay is just combat.

And people that defend story focused games think reading walls of text and watching mini movies constitute gameplay.

No. While just reading through a text not constitute gameplay in itself, text-based games are a thing, and the origin of the RPG genre is based in the pen-and-paper games and just like it's name tells, are games based on reading and talking. So you can have gameplay "while reading walls of text".

Sure, text adventures are a thing and any decent one won’t slap you in the nutsack with infodumps, but what’s your point? If you’re given a GUI and a little dude to manipulate and fuck with shit in a predetermined game world, then walls of text just suck. Same thing with PnP, too, if you ever had a DM who wouldn’t STFU and let the players to their thing.

Electryon

Savant
The idea that we should discuss and compare an RPG royalty with a thinly veiled coin arcade looter in a cRPG list is absolute lunacy.

Fixed.
Diablo is no cRPG royalty, friend.

The first two games are not only CRPG royalty, they are PC gaming royalty in general. You may not LIKE the genre it spawned, but it took the basic skeleton or Rogue and made something entirely unique. Matt Uelman's soundtracks in the first two games alone are worth more than the price of admission of the totality of other games, especially the first where it creates an atmosphere of claustrophobic dread. If you grew up in the '90s and had a computer, your first encounter with The Butcher when you open his door is a gaming moment you will never forget. The games are only "whack-a-mole" on the lowest difficulty level. Any ARPG worth it's salt after that point is going to make you choose skills and upgrades carefully, especially in regards to managing resistances and immunities of monsters. Are they repetitive and somewhat mindless?? Yeah, that is part of their appeal, sort of like saying McDonald's has french fries that are too salty, or that a non-diet Coca-Cola has too much sugar in it. The idea that there are 70+ games in front of Diablo 1 & 2 is utterly absurd. There is no way any more than 20 should even be considered in that conversation.

Deleted Member 22431

If you grew up in the '90s and had a computer, your first encounter with The Butcher when you open his door is a gaming moment you will never forget.
Been there, done that. I also played Mortal Kombat in the arcade when it first came out, but I won't include in this list either. You people need some fucking criteria because right you will include everything that has swords in this list as long you enjoy it enough.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
You Light Up My Life is a lame song but Stairway is at best the Dragon Age: Origins of 70s rock: a polished but derivative work cobbled together from the pieces of superior examples of the genre (Zeppelin are notorious thieves) that achieved widespread popularity because it contained all the requisite pieces despite failing to excel in any particular area.
I'd ask you to go into detail to explain you point, but I can read Wikipedia also. I'll save you the time posting someone else's thoughts. If you actually had some insight, like, a unique take I'll read it, but...

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I'd ask you to go into detail to explain you point, but I can read Wikipedia also. I'll save you the time posting someone else's thoughts. If you actually had some insight, like, a unique take I'll read it, but...
Please, everyone knew Zeppelin were thieves well before Wikipedia (or even the internet) existed.
All I'm saying is, you have a point, but you picked a shitty example to illustrate that point.
Also, don't act like you're the one with original insights who's going against the grain by saying you like Zeppelin, one of the most popular bands of all time :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom