Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Titan Outpost Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: The Boar Studio; Titan Outpost

Last year we posted about Titan Outpost, a combat-free hard sci-fi isometric RPG created by veteran Codex poster Frank "MF" de Boer and set in a mining outpost on the sixth moon of Saturn. Titan Outpost's Steam page was launched in December and in May MF produced a cinematic trailer, informing us that release was imminent. The game was actually supposed to come out on August 1st but suffered an unexpected delay, which is probably for the best considering how many other titles were released that day. It's finally out today, so here's the latest & greatest version of the trailer and an excerpt from MF's release announcement:

Titan Outpost, our first RPG, is now available. Curious? Stick around.

What is Titan Outpost?

It is an RPG with survival, base building and adventure elements set on Titan, the 6th moon of Saturn. It is traditional, true to PnP roots and old-school in some ways, and innovative in others.

How does it work?

The dialogue and negotiation systems, the temperature-based survival aspects, the base construction and the world map all feature gameplay that is either completely unique or a combination of tried-and-true things that have never been tied together before in this way.

At the core is the game’s character system. Most RPGs focus on combat and combat related skills, but Titan Outpost is different. Your character sheet contains ‘science’, ‘construction’, ‘negotiation’, ‘exploration’ and ‘hacking’ skills, for example. You can gain experience points, level up and increase these skills like in any other RPG, but the way they affect what is happening in the game world is different.

You know how, when you talk to people in an RPG, it is always the same tree-based conversation? You ask a question, and the NPC gives you an answer. In Titan Outpost, you’ll feel right at home if you like this sort of thing, but whenever you start negotiating, it becomes more involved. You can interject with leverage, you can change the goal of your conversation, you can select pushy responses or backpedal and you can influence the dialogue in other ways. You can finally cover the flanks in a battle of words instead of always taking it head on with a couple of options.

Getting around on Titan is difficult. The average surface temperature is −179 °C (−290 °F), so you drive around in a heavily isolated and heated rover, and when you absolutely have to traverse anywhere on foot, you do so in a specialized suit. Time is the currency here: Every minute spent outside drains your suit's charge. Limited nutrition, your oxygen supply and other elements combine to provide a tense survival atmosphere.

You can expand the Outpost as you would in a base builder game, with resource management and a top-down interface. Your character skills partly determine how you can go about this. You can be a curious scientist, a savvy entrepreneur, a ruthless ecowarrior, a smooth-talking diplomat, a stoic engineer, an intrepid explorer or anything in between.

The announcement is quite thorough and descriptive, so you should definitely read the entire thing. If you like what you see, Titan Outpost is available on Steam now for $25.

I like the sound of it but does it have an actual story, with story progression and an ending (with multiple outcomes)? It if it's yet another one of those procedural build&craft games that go on forever, I will skip.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I like the sound of it but does it have an actual story, with story progression and an ending (with multiple outcomes)? It if it's yet another one of those procedural build&craft games that go on forever, I will skip.

It does have a story, with Fallout-style ending slides and five completely different endings. But I recommend you wait until after the first patch in a couple of days. The released version has some unforeseen issues that need to be addressed. A lot of those had already been fixed during testing, which means they can be patched back in relatively quickly, but it's still a bummer to everyone involved. Sorry about that, to those who are/were already playing it.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
  • You can join two major factions, and choose to ally yourself with three independent organisations.
  • There are five completely distinct ways to end the game.
  • 33 quests, a lot of them with multiple sub-quests. They're called missions to fit the theme, but we all know what they are.
  • Continuous spherical world map lets you explore the entire moon with over 40 unique locations.
  • A sprawling hard sci-fi plot-line with a cast of 23 characters. The story has a couple of branches and, depending on who you trust, 22 unreliable narrators. Rely on your character's hacking skill or your awareness and insight to reveal the truth.
  • Expand your base by melting away water ice 'rock' and placing modular elements.
  • Gather allies or hire employees to get up to 8 people to populate your base
  • Multiple quest solutions and non-binary outcomes.
  • Discrete time system, where every passing second determines unfolding events and the game world continues while your character sleeps.
  • Logistical elements , think original Dune adventure meets the strategic layer of X-com.
  • Full soundtrack, fully voiced dialogue.
  • Realistic orbital system of Saturn for your astronomical pleasure.

Open Path

Learned
There are no fights yet there are some conflict-management mechanics. Would that satisfy your monocled tastes?

That nonsense isn't monocled at all and isn't about tastes. When the combatfaggotry leave the personal preferences context and start to define entire role playing experience by combat simulation first and mainly -instead systems consistency, character progression, choices richness, etc- , there isn't reasonable position, historic coherence, refined inclination, defense of a specific tradition, etc, but only nonsensical blabbering.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That nonsense isn't monocled at all and isn't about tastes. When the combatfaggotry leave the personal preferences context and start to define entire role playing experience by combat simulation first and mainly, there isn't reasonable position, historic coherence, refined inclination, defense of a specific tradition, etc, but only nonsensical blabbering.
Thankfully my response was fully serious and your wise remarks are useful.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Interesting. Games that focus on diplomacy and dialogue and world building do seem less traditional rpg.

TLDR...
Perhaps when innovation of such hits high marks it can be incorporated into the hack/slash rpg genre. I recall in the 80s or 90s talk amongst peers who wanted a combined game with world building, guilds, good dialogue trees, army msnagement, quests and dungeon crawling all built into one game. Hell if i recall a mixed genre game working flawlessly with multiple endings.

I'm not immortal nor can i split myself into hundreds of copies to try and completely analyze every game. The market floodgates open wider every year.

I only buy games later after several patches (and cheaper prices). I guess I'll check the extras that come with the game maybe?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
How can it be considered an rpg if it doesn't have combat?
Even planescape had combat.

It's not like this is even a controversial viewpoint. cRPGs came from the likes of the Plato cRPGs and then Rogue, Ultima, Wizardry. P&P from Chainmail and other wargames (although P&P has been watered down by all the larpers).

I mean, if this wouldn't be true, can you find at least one game, one, on the top 101 list that has no combat mode. Not a game with pacifist run, but a completely combat-free game? I'm waiting

Or at least point me to the many combat-mode free cRGPs

Deleted Member 22431

My to play list:

Titan Outpost

Grimoire

Underrail Expedition

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

Forged of Blood

Battle Brothers DLCs

I'm a lucky man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom