Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

hahaha

so even mercer agrees with me

fucking retard wierdos btfo

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Matthew mercer, a prominent voiceactor of Eder, Aloth, and many many more, has created a running youtube series of DnD gameplay known as critical role.

Normally I consider the anti-sjw/incel and political opinions of the codex on the same level of a raving lunatic on drugs, but in this case I honestly consider it crossing the line.

Lately I have tried creating 'real' PnP style rpg's with people face to face and everyone I meet happen to be the most insufferable douchebags ever.

They all want to copy everything from Crit role right down to the terrible builds and lolsorandum acting.

There is a difference between role-playing and being straight up fucking retarded.

To give you guys an example, in my last session I was forced to witness two grown fucking men having gay dnd sex with each other.

Even the DM makes a point to add transsexual characters for fucks sake

I tried to tell them to knock it off but they wouldn't stop having weird orgies.

The common point is that they are all critical role fans.

SO fuck CRIT ROLE
Yeah, I'm sure it is Critical Role's fault and not you having latent homosexual friends. :roll:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Giggly meta shit is not really unique for Critical Role. It just happens with people who can't do actual stories. And if they won't copy that, they'll copy some character from anime they watched.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:despair:
I was wrong. I was so wrong, in my earlier post.

In my friday evening group it turns out the resident "that guy" who I thought was the only issue, turns out to be a gay furry. One of the two girls turns out to be a ftm trans. The dm and the other girl are normal. But the dm's english is pretty bad and the girl is moving a couple provinces over soon and our newest addition to the party is 'that guy''s boyfriend. Who has even worse english than the DM and seems to have nothing to add. Oh and he just had to play a dragonborn barbarian, just like my character. What a co-inkydink. Really activates my almonds.

But hey the DM has set up a marvelous campaign so far, and my character is a joy to play as. I'll just cash out as soon as the awkwardness reaches a tipping point, and so far there's less than you would imagine. But you're right, it doesn't really matter where you are in the west, the tumblr crowd is very attracted to d&d now.
:decline:

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lately I have tried creating 'real' PnP style rpg's with people face to face and everyone I meet happen to be the most insufferable douchebags ever.

To give you guys an example, in my last session I was forced to witness two grown fucking men having gay dnd sex with each other.
I'm sure the problem is not Critical Role, but that you move in a circle with people like that.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

In my friday evening group it turns out the resident "that guy" who I thought was the only issue, turns out to be a gay furry. One of the two girls turns out to be a ftm trans. The dm and the other girl are normal. But the dm's english is pretty bad and the girl is moving a couple provinces over soon and our newest addition to the party is 'that guy''s boyfriend. Who has even wore english than the DM and seems to have nothing to add. Oh and he just had to play a dragonborn barbarian, just like my character. What a co-inkydink. Really activates my almonds.

But hey the DM has set up a marvelous campaign so far, and my character is a joy to play as. I'll just cash out as soon as the awkwardness reaches a tipping point, and so far there's less than you would imagine. But you're right, it doesn't really matter where you are in the west, the tumblr crowd is attracted to d&d now.

Stay strong. It doesn't have to be awkward for you, it could be awkward for them, if you get what I mean. wink wink.

I don't know what I mean actually.

In my friday evening group it turns out the resident "that guy" who I thought was the only issue, turns out to be a gay furry. One of the two girls turns out to be a ftm trans. The dm and the other girl are normal. But the dm's english is pretty bad and the girl is moving a couple provinces over soon and our newest addition to the party is 'that guy''s boyfriend. Who has even wore english than the DM and seems to have nothing to add. Oh and he just had to play a dragonborn barbarian, just like my character. What a co-inkydink. Really activates my almonds.

But hey the DM has set up a marvelous campaign so far, and my character is a joy to play as. I'll just cash out as soon as the awkwardness reaches a tipping point, and so far there's less than you would imagine. But you're right, it doesn't really matter where you are in the west, the tumblr crowd is very attracted to d&d now.
As I stated before. No matter who your group is as long as the GM can lay down the law and not be a fuck up you should be okay. Regardless of them being a gay furry who probably shits in a nappy. I will say that if you can't communicate with each other properly then the game is not worth doing. PnP requires good communication.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
As I stated before. No matter who your group is as long as the GM can lay down the law and not be a fuck up you should be okay. Regardless of them being a gay furry who probably shits in a nappy. I will say that if you can't communicate with each other properly then the game is not worth doing. PnP requires good communication.

Strongly seconding.

Your GM especially cannot be someone others will just walk all over and from a lot of stories you hear online about games going awry or THAT GUY ruining everything that's precisely what happens because no one wants to be assertive enough and appear as some combative asshole to others. This leads to further communications breakdown as issues just pile up, especially in games that have inherent problems and require more back-and-forth or DM who knows what he's doing. This comes from someone who played Rifts - game that would make players whining about balance and builds explode in frustration merely by comparing power levels of various OCCs/RCCs.

To play devil's advocate, I recently had a DnD game that didn't go down to well. I was the GM and decided it'd be good to go down to the Board Game shop my son used to frequent. My first mistake was not asking my boy why he doesn't go anymore. Oh boy. I managed to find a group easily enough and within half an hour it was "Critical Role did it like (x)" and everyone in the room seemed to have similar opinions about this. This group in particular I made a mistake with they were all under 25. Just a few years shy of being Zoomers. The game didn't really get past character creation because the group kept asking if they could just play various fictional characters like Captain Marvel or whatever the fuck characters are in Steven Universe. I'd say no and then they'd say "But Mercer said DnD is supposed to be fun and liberating.". I could've stood my ground as I've done in the past with bad groups but sometimes if you know a group is fucked it's not worth the effort. I as a GM could always find games in my area through PUGs online and through social media so it's no great loss for me to tell these obnoxious pratts to fuck off. As a GM always be respectful of others and their opinions but if you know they won't do the same and will in fact intentionally or not fuck up the game then boot them out or just leave. Doubley so if you're not the GM. If you're not having a good time, do something else. It's not rocket science.

sgm

Educated
You guys playing shit games with shit players should message Irenaeus about joining his game, Cradle Valley. The kind of shit you're experiencing has no place there and based on what I've read, you would fit in quite nicely. Also, those morons in your game would get killed within 5 minutes and possibly have their heads explode Scanners-style from the experience.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
But you're right, it doesn't really matter where you are in the west, the tumblr crowd is very attracted to d&d now.

Yeah, there's something about this hobby that attracts all the fucking weirdos of the world to it. I'm not just talking about the LGBTQ2+1800 crowd, but also those who are just flat out creepy to be around, including the likes of Zak Smith. My guess is that it's the only "trooly libdurrrating" type of hobby out there (I'm including LARPing here) that allows people to fulfill all kinds of deep, dark fantasies that they'll later just jerk off or finger themselves to.

No other related hobby, not board gaming nor wargaming, has this many weirdos in one collective, not to mention the quality drama typically surrounding the people involved.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
My experience has been pretty good gaming with strangers if you limit yourself to people who like high lethality, "simulationist" games (for lack of a better term); something like GURPS, BRP, etc. It seems to automatically select against the kind of twink, tumblerina, snowflake assholes that are so drawn to modern D&D.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
My experience has been pretty good gaming with strangers if you limit yourself to people who like high lethality, "simulationist" games (for lack of a better term); something like GURPS, BRP, etc. It seems to automatically select against the kind of twink, tumblerina, snowflake assholes that are so drawn to modern D&D.

True, but sometimes I don't want my six hour session to become all about one combat encounter because it's simulated to such a degree arrow windfall is a factor, for example. If I wanted to tap that particular type of player base I'd just play some wargames instead. It always comes down to the fine line you're looking for and getting everyone on the same page is part of the experience. Or problem, depending on how you look at it.

nikolokolus

Arcane

True, but sometimes I don't want my six hour session to become all about one combat encounter because it's simulated to such a degree arrow windfall is a factor, for example. If I wanted to tap that particular type of player base I'd just play some wargames instead. It always comes down to the fine line you're looking for and getting everyone on the same page is part of the experience. Or problem, depending on how you look at it.
Then play Stormbringer or use the general Hit Points option in BRP, whatever. My point wasn't that you should only play crunchy rules sets, it's that there is another subset of people out there that don't particularly give a shit about SJW politics or furry culture, you just have to know where to look.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've never watched Critical Role in my life but from what I read you all with these kinds of problems should just... you know... change groups you stupid masochistic retards. Why the fuck would anyone sane play with people with which one doesn't share not only vision of how game should be played but also a vision of what a decent human being looks and behaves like (i.e. not like a damn animal). What's your problem? 'Cause it's in you. I played a lot of pnps in my life but I was never stuck with a group not to my liking for more than one game.

Voids

Augur
Anyone know of any decent actual play podcasts? All the ones I've heard are silly giggle fests and just a slog to listen to.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Anyone know of any decent actual play podcasts? All the ones I've heard are silly giggle fests and just a slog to listen to.
Yeah. Matt Finch (who wrote the Swords & Wizardry retroclone of OD&D) has a decent one on youtube https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLptTCxApuRIinLEHii08sDQxW-V2V3d4U

A few of the players were annoying at times but Finch is good at running the show.

That said, I tend to think all actual play recordings are dogshit; it's like eavesdropping on a conversation with a bunch of inside jokes (and even if you are in on the joke, it wouldn't be all that funny.)

_Vic_

Educated
Wow, just wow
Some statements in this thread... :what:

I've never watched Critical Role in my life but from what I read you all with these kinds of problems should just... you know... change groups you stupid masochistic retards. Why the fuck would anyone sane play with people with which one doesn't share not only vision of how game should be played but also a vision of what a decent human being looks and behaves like (i.e. not like a damn animal). What's your problem? 'Cause it's in you. I played a lot of pnps in my life but I was never stuck with a group not to my liking for more than one game.

Agreed. As long as you talk to the GM and follow the rules most of the things some people said are allowed (Well, the plane-travel Captain America maybe it is too much). I am pretty sure that the other players are equally annoyed by the judgemental guy in the corner that gives them weird stares when they are having fun and RP their way. They surely will be as relieved as you when you´re gone.

Also, I´ve never had the chance to share the table with characters like that, but I am pretty sure that in Faerun there is much more homosexuality, transsexuality, bestiality, furry, etc than in our world, so their interpretations are not even out of character.

Last edited:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fake nerds are worse than the worst incels. Living a lie and deep down Matt Mercer wants to hang himself. Screw em. Play OSR games. Those people don't exist to me. LOSERS!

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would very much like to join an rp group that would use a system like that just so I could tell them to go fuck themselves, and maybe call them retarded, before leaving.

Latro

Arcane
they should add "RPG" to that list so I can list it as a hard trigger

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom