Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You'll want survey equipment to lower the supply cost of prospecting. If you can't find the blueprint thing for it, a few hulls have it innately, like the venture, apogee, and I think the shephard? The apogee is a good all rounder kinda ship anyways, decent in combat with great shields, decent cargo capacity, and it has improved sensors innately.

As for particular stuff to look out for, any higher tech type weapon is worth hanging on to, and Tempests are amazingly good frigates if you can find one, even damaged, take it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You'll want survey equipment to lower the supply cost of prospecting. If you can't find the blueprint thing for it, a few hulls have it innately, like the venture, apogee, and I think the shephard? The apogee is a good all rounder kinda ship anyways, decent in combat with great shields, decent cargo capacity, and it has improved sensors innately.

As for particular stuff to look out for, any higher tech type weapon is worth hanging on to, and Tempests are amazingly good frigates if you can find one, even damaged, take it.
Does it stack or having it on your main ship is enough?

Damned Registrations

It stacks fully. You don't need a ton though, just get like 20-30 and don't scan dumb stuff like gas giants.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:
My army got wiped by a apogee shit stain! Fuck you game!!!

Damned Registrations any clues at what type of enemy ship to focus fire??? I mainly go for the bigger ones but the last battle just fucked me sideways!

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
gate_flythrough.jpg

Starsector (formerly “Starfarer”) is an in-development open-world single-player space-combat, roleplaying, exploration, and economic game. You take the role of a space captain seeking fortune and glory however you choose.

Current Features

- Pilot your ship in top-down 2D combat
- Command your fleet in tactical battles
- Gain experience to level up your skills
- Detailed space combat mechanics
- Customize your ship’s loadout before battle
- Hire officers to give skill bonuses, pilot auxiliary ships, and oversee your operations
- Explore war-torn star systems
- Exploit events to trade goods for profit
- Win the favor or scorn of powerful factions
- Discover new worlds and salvage lost derelicts
- Mod support for diverse user-made content
- Claim new worlds, build outposts and industry

The World of Starsector

The interstellar Gate System which binds the space of the Human Domain in a network of trade, industry, and empire collapses in an instant that shatters known civilization forever. Countless fleets are scattered and lost. The comforts of the high age of civilization are but a memory. Entire worlds cut off from the Gate network starve, burn, and tear themselves apart. Now, humanity is scattered in pockets throughout the galaxy, trying to recover from the great Collapse.

The story of Starsector concerns a dense region of space in the Perseus Arm left relatively unharmed by the calamity that destroyed the Domain. For over 200 cycles, humanity has been losing its grip on civilization and struggling desperately to hang on to what is left.

officer.jpg

What will you discover in the ongoing development of the world of Starsector?

- Single player, gritty, dystopian sci-fi setting
- Classic top-down gameplay style enhanced by modern technology
- A procedurally generated galactic sector seeded with well-known core worlds and factions
- Develop your character into a hot-shot pilot, a smuggler, a stern admiral, an industrial magnate – or anything in between
- Outfit ships with your weapons of choice and add hull modifications to create devastating tactical combinations
- Explore hundreds of locations to find habitable worlds, rich resource deposits, and lost technology
- Assemble a large, powerful fleet or a finely-tuned task force with hand-picked officers and crew
- Cripple core world supply lines to create easy prey for piracy or bolster the rule of law and try to reverse the Sector’s descent into chaos
- Survey forgotten worlds and establish new colonies among the ruins
- Use lost and forbidden technologies to advance your cause – can you afford to pay for the consequences of your hubris?
- Leave your mark upon the world and determine the fate of the Sector with your decisions

Sseth review:

Damned Registrations

It depends on what sort of weaponry you have available. Generally you want to focus on whatever you can kill the fastest. For my fleets, that means wiping out all the smallest shit first and then killing the bigger shit by surrounding it. But if you have say a bunch of torpedos or heavy bomber wings, you want to take out big slow targets first.

Two things that are pretty important for fighting stronger opponents are the way armor works and recognizing ships with efficient shields.

Armor reduces small hits much more than large hits. With an officer with the right skill, armor can reduce the damage taken by a hit by 90%, if the armor is 10 times more than the shot hitting it. So something like a machinegun that is putting out 400 dps in theory is actually tickling for 40dps. This also means the weapon/armor triangle thing isn't always the last word. Kinetic does half damage to armor, but a weapon that fires a 500 damage kinetic round every 2.5 seconds (so effectively 100 dps vs armor) is going to chew through 1000 armor faster (It'll actually deal 50 per hit) than a weapon that does 20 explosive damage 5 times per second (so effectively 200dps vs armor) because it'll actually deal only 4 damage per hit. Vs a target with only 400 armor (or that 1000 armor target once it's been damaged) the chaingun will pull WAY ahead though. You don't really need all the math, just know that armor works intuitively; big slow weapons chew through it faster.

Shields don't give a fuck how big the individual shots are. They're all about efficiency. The apogee (and a lot of other high tech or defensive ships) has a very efficient shield that takes only 0.6 flux per damage blocked. That can be improved even further with hull mods or officer skills. If you're using an explosive weapon the damage is halved again, so you can easily be in a situation where you're spending more flux to fire than the shield is blocking the shot, and for the apogee, it might be better off not even firing and letting you wear yourself out. The only way to overcome that kind of disadvantage is to overwhelm it with a much bigger ship (not feasible in terms of an even matchup, smaller ships have more flux per deployment point) or to dogpile something, or to build up hard flux while your opponent is only hitting you with beams. Or use sabots. Sabot missiles are specifically made for overloading shields, they cause 2000 points of damage to a shield pretty much instantly, it'll almost always overload a ship. If they do drop their shields it'll only tickle armor but at least it'll disable shit with emp damage. Squall missiles are made for taking down shields too but they're kind of shit, because they fire a steady stream of weaker missiles. Their main advantage is the crazy range. Low tech ships tend to have crap shields, especially bigger ones often have shields that are worse than 1:1, so they're often better off dropping shields during a firefight where they're kinda evenly matched, because they'll be able to fire much more.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I plan to dive into this game over the weekend. Obviously, I need to learn the controls before I try anything too ambitious, but I think I read that certain ships can release drone interceptors/fighters? If so, is it possible to focus on fighter ordinance bays in this game? As cringey as it may sound, I would love to try a swarm style fleet.

Black

Arcane
As far as the AI thing goes, I find it pretty impressive.
Same, I don't think I ever got friendly fire'd by my guys, even tho there's 20+ of them. They like to fly right in front of my big guns tho, which creates problems.

Found this beauty yesterday, the dreams of Polonizing the entire galaxy are ever closer to becoming reality.
be7IJTg.png

I plan to dive into this game over the weekend. Obviously, I need to learn the controls before I try anything too ambitious, but I think I read that certain ships can release drone interceptors/fighters? If so, is it possible to focus on fighter ordinance bays in this game? As cringey as it may sound, I would love to try a swarm style fleet.
I don't use carries myself (at least yet) but there are like 3 separate carrier-like skills for yourself and your officers to grab, plus some hull-mods that support going for carriers. I don't know how well the AI uses them tho.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck,it seems my game is near its end,shame as i have decent fleet and quite a lot of blueprints :). I decided to make a colony which turned out be worst deal ever,it takes like 80,000 a month and it is fucking defendless garbage that got raided and needs 200 days to begin functioning. I go to the fucking pirate base to blow up their shit,but the game is all "muh genocide,you evul cunt,everyone will kill you now". And i am all dumbfound by this retarded shit :retarded:. This is the first space game i see where everyone will hate you for killing pirates. Also it seems that there is no fucking way to defend your colony from this retarded shit. Fuck this game is unfinished.

PS:Thank Damned Registrations !

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Now install a fuckton of mods and start again.
Fuck no,i am immortal! Decided to take all the possible money from the colony and fuck of to kill bounties. I got 60k easy bounty that spawned with an elite battlecruiser. While i write this post my fleets is being eradicated by it while he is just constantly retreating backward and a proper engagement can't happen. Is there a fucking mod for fast combat???? The combat is worst shit i have seen in my life,it is insufferable slow and the ai is retarded!

Damned Registrations

There's a mod to fast forward in combat if that's what you mean. I don't think there's one for autoresolving everything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

After 30 minutes of reading the codex and dicking around,i managed to win with my last few flying trashcans......and got this beast! Now to refit it!

yhSBGRh.png

Damned Registrations

Oof, trashcans indeed. Also, 30 minutes? Did you win by having enemy CR hit 0 or something?

Proper fleets tend to win in about 5 minutes:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oof, trashcans indeed. Also, 30 minutes? Did you win by having enemy CR hit 0 or something?
Have no idea,as i said,i was looking the codex during the battles. I just pointed at the last shit,the battlecruiser and alt-tab. Also i just understood that mothbowing is shit! Oh and my colony got nuked in to oblivion.....again. Now i am trying to make a new one on some system in the middle of nowhere.

Damned Registrations

Colonies are fairly cheap to start and can be fairly profitable (like ~20k/month income) with little investment, but very expensive to make safe and extremely profitable. I'd generally try to avoid making a colony in the ass end of nowhere unless it's an amazing system worth turning into a fortress, because it'll be a pain to fly out there to defend it from raids. Really good systems are rare as fuck though except on particular map settings.

And yeah, mothballing is basically for bringing salvaged ships back or limping home after getting your shit destroyed in a fight with just enough supplies to keep whatever you didn't mothball (like your fuel/cargo/crew transports) running.

One thing to consider while trying to defend a colony is that you don't need your transports with you, so you can store them at your base and fight a 'retreat' from the enemy. They'll often deploy fewer ships and spread some to the sides so you can pick some shit off and escape or even win the battle. You can try the same thing with your normal fleet but you'd risk getting your haulers blown up. If you need to retreat you can recover your CR instantly by landing at your colony and fight again. Oh, but this doesn't work if your fleet is too big, then you'll get a warning beforehand that retreat isn't an option unless you do a decent fight first.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Colonies are fairly cheap to start and can be fairly profitable (like ~20k/month income) with little investment, but very expensive to make safe and extremely profitable. I'd generally try to avoid making a colony in the ass end of nowhere unless it's an amazing system worth turning into a fortress, because it'll be a pain to fly out there to defend it from raids. Really good systems are rare as fuck though except on particular map settings.

And yeah, mothballing is basically for bringing salvaged ships back or limping home after getting your shit destroyed in a fight with just enough supplies to keep whatever you didn't mothball (like your fuel/cargo/crew transports) running.

One thing to consider while trying to defend a colony is that you don't need your transports with you, so you can store them at your base and fight a 'retreat' from the enemy. They'll often deploy fewer ships and spread some to the sides so you can pick some shit off and escape or even win the battle. You can try the same thing with your normal fleet but you'd risk getting your haulers blown up. If you need to retreat you can recover your CR instantly by landing at your colony and fight again. Oh, but this doesn't work if your fleet is too big, then you'll get a warning beforehand that retreat isn't an option unless you do a decent fight first.
Do marines do anything outside of using them for raids??? Also i didn't even get a message that i was being raided.

Damned Registrations

You definitely got a message about being raided, unless you spent so long off the com network they had time to plan, launch, and finish the raid before you got back, which would be at least a month or two. And marines are just for raids or selling. They don't even help defend a colony, except in the sense you can fulfill a missing supply for a building to turn it back on. There used to be a boarding mechanic that used them but it got scrapped a long time ago.

Irata

Scholar
I'm interested in this, but it seems like a perfect candidate for Epic to throw money at.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom