Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Please, everyone knew Zeppelin were thieves well before Wikipedia (or even the internet) existed.
All I'm saying is, you have a point, but you picked a shitty example to illustrate that point.
Also, don't act like you're the one with original insights who's going against the grain by saying you like Zeppelin, one of the most popular bands of all time :roll:
They are only called thieves because they took shitty blues garbage and made into something that folks could actually listen to. Because they "stole" from deadbeats, they are somehow the bad guy. Stairway to Heaven is a great song. A great, original song, that owes nothing to anyone. It's so good it's still being played, about 50 years after it was released. The songs that, as you say, inspired it? Nobody heard of any of them and folks struggle to make connections. As if there is a song to date that stands on its own, not inspired by anything.

To bring it full circle, it's like saying Dungeon Master stole from Wizardry. Share some common themes, but the success of DM is not because of Wizardry, but because of what FTL did with the dungeon crawler. Also, I like Led Zepplin because they are good. They weren't "the most popular" that would be the Beatles or the Stones. Led Zepplin is described as the most influential, not the most popular. Most influential because they practically created an entire genre of music. Not by ripping off negroes, but by having a pretty solid sound.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Please, everyone knew Zeppelin were thieves well before Wikipedia (or even the internet) existed.
All I'm saying is, you have a point, but you picked a shitty example to illustrate that point.
Also, don't act like you're the one with original insights who's going against the grain by saying you like Zeppelin, one of the most popular bands of all time :roll:
They are only called thieves because they took shitty blues garbage and made into something that folks could actually listen to. Because they "stole" from deadbeats, they are somehow the bad guy. Stairway to Heaven is a great song. A great, original song, that owes nothing to anyone. It's so good it's still being played, about 50 years after it was released. The songs that, as you say, inspired it? Nobody heard of any of them and folks struggle to make connections. As if there is a song to date that stands on its own, not inspired by anything.

To bring it full circle, it's like saying Dungeon Master stole from Wizardry. Share some common themes, but the success of DM is not because of Wizardry, but because of what FTL did with the dungeon crawler. Also, I like Led Zepplin because they are good. They weren't "the most popular" that would be the Beatles or the Stones. Led Zepplin is described as the most influential, not the most popular. Most influential because they practically created an entire genre of music. Not by ripping off negroes, but by having a pretty solid sound.
Obviously if you compare anyone to the Beatles or the Stones, they'll come up short, but that is a retarded standard. Zep are obviously a very popular band who have sold millions of records, and they ripped off a lot of earlier artists.
I'm not even saying that makes them shitty musicians or songwriters (Elvis, the Beatles, and the Stones all stole shit for example), but I am saying that if you acknowledge that Zeppelin are "classics," then newer and more derivative games can also be "classics." Your Dungeon Master example is literally the same thing I was saying when I said Stairway is the DA:O of 70s rock. Solid, polished, and notable, but also derivative and not necessarily the best example of the genre.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Obviously if you compare anyone to the Beatles or the Stones, they'll come up short, but that is a retarded standard. Zep are obviously a very popular band who have sold millions of records, and they ripped off a lot of earlier artists.
I'm not even saying that makes them shitty musicians or songwriters (Elvis, the Beatles, and the Stones all stole shit for example), but I am saying that if you acknowledge that Zeppelin are "classics," then newer and more derivative games can also be "classics." Your Dungeon Master example is literally the same thing I was saying when I said Stairway is the DA:O of 70s rock. Solid, polished, and notable, but also derivative and not necessarily the best example of the genre.
No, I reject your entire premise that Zep "ripped off" other bands. That's just Wikipedia level shit. A solid band tarnished by assholes who say the same crap over and over every time they see the bands name. Also, Elvis never stole anything either.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
No, I reject your entire premise that Zep "ripped off" other bands. That's just Wikipedia level shit. A solid band tarnished by assholes who say the same crap over and over every time they see the bands name. Also, Elvis never stole anything either.
Zeppelin didn't even try to hide it, so I don't know why you're butthurt about it. Page basically admitted it and said Plant was "supposed to change the lyrics and didn't always bother to do that." There's a reason they had to fork out so many legal settlements over the years and it's obvious if you have functioning ears.
As far as Elvis goes - fair enough, he was seminal enough to the genre that I'll retract that.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Zeppelin didn't even try to hide it, so I don't know why you're butthurt about it. Page basically admitted it and said Plant was "supposed to change the lyrics and didn't always bother to do that." There's a reason they had to fork out so many legal settlements over the years and it's obvious if you have functioning ears.
As far as Elvis goes - fair enough, he was seminal enough to the genre that I'll retract that.
Look, we'll get along just fine. No hard feelings - just so they don't break this out, uh... Arx Fatalis! Wizardry 8! Dang, what I wouldn't give for a Wizardry 9!

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Look, we'll get along just fine. No hard feelings - just so they don't break this out, uh... Arx Fatalis! Wizardry 8! Dang, what I wouldn't give for a Wizardry 9!
Fair enough :love:
Maybe I'm torturing some metaphors here but is it fair to say Fallout is Elvis? Obvious earlier influences but brought them together in a new and unique way, to the point where basically any CRPG after can trace its origins to that point?

PatataFamilia

Novice
  • As for Arcanum. Arcanum has one of the greatest senses of setting in a game I ever played. The tone of newspapers; the way you have model minorities and some pretty brutal labor struggles and racism. The role of class. The city of Tarant is an amazing place to explore. It fully deserves a high place on the list. Age of Decadence....
  • Surprised Exile/Avernum isn't on the list. It's a solid RPG with a whole lot of character.
  • SR:Hong Kong was slightly better than SR:Dragonfall, even if both are good.
  • Also surprised Pathfinder Kingmaker is mentioned without mentioning Pillars of Eternity. A lot, from the UI, to the skill check pages show a clear influence from Pillars, probably more so than Baldur's Gate. It's not that I think this is a bad thing; there's many things it does better than Pillars, some it doesn't. But the lineage is there.
  • Dragon Age Origins reviews should have mentioned the origins, which were pretty well done, especially both of the Dwarves.
  • I'm glad they mention how well Gothic II did content density; there's a reason for that. From what I remember, the original Gothic games had giant clay models of the setting. This allowed them to get a really strong sense of geography that's just missing in Risen, when they stopped making physical models. Risen 3 was a bit better about this, but they never quite got the combat right. Gothic I also had some really clever use of animation. When you started out you grabbed 1 handed weapons to handed, and your stance changed 2 or 3 times with training.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm thinking most of the voters should be playing visual novels and not voting on an RPG GAME list
Hear the rime of the grognard codexer.
See his monocled eye on thee.
Be mesmerized by one of his forum posts
Stay here and listen to his ravings on RPGs.

About the decline going on as time passes by
You’re caught by his spell, and the grognard tells his tale.

There was a time when the games were very nice.
A lot of fun and challenging.
Dungeons filled with puzzles, traps and many fights
Stats ruled the games, story choices weren’t a thing.

And the incline ensued for many years to come
‘til the story fags appeared and the magic was undone.

Developers kill gameplay for narrative.
The grognards cry against what they’ve done.
And then the masses, yes, they justify them.
And make themselves a part of the crime.

And the decline starts to spread across the sea.
The decline has its grip on you and me.

Once on the Codex, the grognards vowed vengeance.
To fight the curse, to preserve what was fun.
But the scourge has invaded the forum now.
The battle’s lost, the decline has won.

And the curse goes on and on and on you’ll see.
The decline has its grip on you and me.

Day after day, day after day,
The same old tired notions.
Is the genre this or is it that?
No thought, just pure emotions.

Fanboys, fanboys, every where,
The discussion boards did sink.
Fanboys, fanboys, every where,
Too dogma blind to think!

Dada dih-dih Dada dih-dih Dada dih-dih Dada dih-dih
Dun dun Dada da Dun!

SCREAM FOR ME RPG CODEX!!!

Dun dun Dada da-

Where? says the story fag,
Where are the games full of lore?
Tactics and strategy?
All of those stats are a chore.

See. The decline it’s come.
Onward it nears, to blot out the fun.
See. Romance is in.
Gameplay is dead. Press here to win!!

Nice, but you left out a key passage:

And by the light of the Golden Baby
He prays for their blobbers not doom
With heart he blesses them
God's dungeon crawlers all of them too

Then the spell of decline starts to break
The popamole falls from his neck
Sinks down like lead into the sea
Then down in falls comes Incline

9382.jpg

Gregz

Arcane

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'll dump pile of my shit then, if evryone doing that here.
Diablo isn't RPG, and never was. It was afaik made as sort of 3d roguelike, it even had turnbased mode that was changed to real time before release.
It's action game with elements of RPG, so action-RPG probably, and the difference between RPG and action-RPG is the same as between beam and beam crane.

Every action game with elements of RPG is action-PRG that actually have little to do with RPG.

And System Shock 2 is best from them all.

Modron

Arcane
Just like Blizzard made Warcraft when they couldn't secure the Warhammer license, Diablo is probably the result of them failing to land the Gauntlet franchise.
Been said before but Diablo 1 began its life as a turnbased rogue-like.

Fishy

Savant
Just like Blizzard made Warcraft when they couldn't secure the Warhammer license, Diablo is probably the result of them failing to land the Gauntlet franchise.
Been said before but Diablo 1 began its life as a turnbased rogue-like.

And then they dumped everything that makes roguelikes interesting and replaced it with clicking. Lots of clicking.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Good list. But twitchy putting Souls games there, I absolutely love them, and they are just randomized D&D action rpg From has been doing since forever, but when you do that why not putting all zelda likes and jrpgs as well. Darksiders 2 had tons of rpg elements. Nier automata etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom