Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Bethesda developer on the FO fans reaction

Mech

Cipher
Nightjed said:
Mech said:
Bethesa didn't want to announce it! Interplay announced who they sold the right to and Bethesda didn't have a choice about the matter. So before you all bitch and complain about why they announced it, IT WASN'T THEIR CHOICE.
they agreed to interviews didnt they ? a lot of interviews i might add

edit: and wth are you looking for fights here ?, just state your thoughts, no reason to insult

They agreed to interviews because they figured it would quell Fallout fans, not make them even more angry.
BTW telling you about your bitching and complaining isn't an insult when it is what you are doing. It's simply pointing out an obvious fact.

errorcode

Liturgist
Seven said:
What they offer and what we want are two very different things, and if you think that any news site has ever gotten a say in the direction of a gaming project without having to sell out then you're wrong. Plus the most that gamimg sites get are exclusives, not a say in the direction of development. This, what's happening right now is what's going to impact the direction of development.

This community that Bethesda's chosen to be little has existed for a long time, we've seen FOT, FO: POS, but no FO3; the reason for this is that the industry thought that it knew best. Well, FOT flopped because of word of mouth from us, FO: POS was doomed from the get go because of us, and now Followind will flop because of us unless Bethesda can prove that they are worthy of making FO3. It's very simple: WE HAVE TO GIVE NO ONE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT, NOR SHOULD WE BE EXPECTED TO; THEY MUST PROVE THEMSELVES WORTHY OR FAIL.

Fans can have a say in how a game is designed, but they have to be willing to accept what can't/won't be changed and have to be willing to build a dialogue with the developers. At my work, i've forwarded numerous design suggestions or ideas to the lead designer that i've gotten in email or from the forum boards. But i only generally listen to fans who have proven themselves to be well spoken and are willing to have there ideas critiqued or changed.

If i was on the Bethesda dev team, i'd come here first to see what the word was....but as soon as i saw the hostility, i'd take off. There isn't even the sense that folks here would be willing to consider new ideas or new approaches to "their" fallout, let alone take part in calm, rational discussion about it.

Mech

Cipher
Volourn said:
And? they'll ignore me? r00fles! Bethseda has been ignoring me for 20 years now. They've ignored me everythime they've made a game. every single time. Why should I all of asudden think that'll change and listen to what i want as they have ignored me for 20 years. I repeat, they have ignored me for 20 years and that ain't gonna change just becuase they got the FO license. R00fles!

You sound like a 13 year old, so you are either lying or... I think the other option is obvious

errorcode

Liturgist
Volourn said:
And? they'll ignore me? r00fles! Bethseda has been ignoring me for 20 years now. They've ignored me everythime they've made a game. every single time. Why should I all of asudden think that'll change and listen to what i want as they have ignored me for 20 years. I repeat, they have ignored me for 20 years and that ain't gonna change just becuase they got the FO license. R00fles!
Volourn, i've been reading your posts for years now and i've never seen you be the type of poster that devs would take seriously. No offense, but even the other posters generally don't take you that seriously.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
Seven said:
This community that Bethesda's chosen to be little has existed for a long time, we've seen FOT, FO: POS, but no FO3; the reason for this is that the industry thought that it knew best. Well, FOT flopped because of word of mouth from us, FO: POS was doomed from the get go because of us, and now Followind will flop because of us unless Bethesda can prove that they are worthy of making FO3.
No offence meant, but I think you really, really over-estimate how much "influence" the NMA/Codex Fallout community has. You should peruse a few other forums to see what the dev community/fan community really think of the hardcore Fallout junkies.

It's very simple: WE HAVE TO GIVE NO ONE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT, NOR SHOULD WE BE EXPECTED TO; THEY MUST PROVE THEMSELVES WORTHY OR FAIL.
Prove themselves worthy? To whom?

Again, over-estimating your importance, friend. The NMA/Codex crowd is loud and angry, but they are a minority. Any good ideas they may have are generally lost in a sea of nasty, childish bitterness. As a result, I don't think there are many people out there (devs and fans) who take them seriously anymore...

Transcendent One

Liturgist
There isn't even the sense that folks here would be willing to consider new ideas or new approaches to "their" fallout, let alone take part in calm, rational discussion about it.

I think Fallout fans have seen enough of these new ideas and approaches for the past six years. No thank you.

Judas said:

So you think Fallout's oldest fan community should not be considered when developing a new installment to the series?

Feargus Urquhart

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
I've always liked the phrase "Screaming at the wind." although some of you are turing the screaming into pissing - and for most of us that's not a lot of fun when it gets blown back in your face.

In other words - what you guys are saying is not helping your case. I'm sure Bethesda will listen to some of what you guys say if the words "No Talent Ass Clowns" or "it better be better than MW" are not included in every sentance.

I've talked with one of their designers, Ken, a number of times and he's certainly a bright guy.

Mabye you won't like what they make Fallout into. However, if whatever game they make is successful there is probably a greater chance that the game you down want to be made, will eventually be made.

Seven

Erudite
errorcode said:
Fans can have a say in how a game is designed, but they have to be willing to accept what can't/won't be changed and have to be willing to build a dialogue with the developers. At my work, i've forwarded numerous design suggestions or ideas to the lead designer that i've gotten in email or from the forum boards. But i only generally listen to fans who have proven themselves to be well spoken and are willing to have there ideas critiqued or changed.

If i was on the Bethesda dev team, i'd come here first to see what the word was....but as soon as i saw the hostility, i'd take off. There isn't even the sense that folks here would be willing to consider new ideas or new approaches to "their" fallout, let alone take part in calm, rational discussion about it.

Sorry, but you're not looking at the situation in it's entirety. Before things got to this point there was:
Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.

After getting that how would you expect us to react? But lets not forget this:

Q. Is the SPECIAL system going to remain intact? What changes are planned?
A. Again, too early, although I will say that as a general rule we plan to remain as true and faithful as possible to what made Fallout such a great and memorable experience.

I guess SPECIAL isn't as fundamental as we thought, but then again neither is the FO atmosphere or style of play which begs the question why use the FO name at all. This farce is insulting. Not only that people like you come around here and talk in reasoned tones thinking that it's a reasonable situation, well it's not, and you're not being realistic or reasonable. Lets try this, you go to their website use your approach and lets see how far you get?

plin said:
I never said anything about childish here.

I guess "Just listen to yourselves. You all deserve a spanking (or a shitty game haha)." must have thrown me off there.

And it's all fine and dandy, but my hypocrisy doesn't make any of you any better.

Or worse. It's not really doing much good either way, though, is it?

And I don't believe I have ever stated I thought my "constributions" meant anything here.

Oh, goody, word lawyering. At least you spell better than Volourn. It did seem to be implied by "But if the quality of the serious discussions that I actually contribute to are worse because of me, then fine." The "actual" part, as in "actually contribute to", anyway.

I never asked if anyone would stop me, and what's this martyr complex you speak of? Bowing out of a discussion when I'm not wanted?

"I should leave so the codex will be a one sided biased shit fest." To which the polite response is, "No, no, you're a valued member of the community, pleeeease stay." Also implying if you leave, things will be "a one sided biased shit fest", but if you bravely stand against the horde like the noble martyr, there will be balance and reason and flowers and pretty birds. Well, ya know, if that's how you want it, have at it, but:

It's not his fault the fanbase are being jackasses. Just listen to yourselves. You all deserve a spanking (or a shitty game haha).

You guys get so butt-hurt easily it's not even funny. The FO fans are a bunch o pussies.

Shut the fuck up.

Just ain't really helping things.

Seven

Erudite
Judas said:
useless junk

I know you weren't trying to be offensive so I'll simply say this: go ask Microforte, the Lionheart team, and the FO: POS team how much influence we have: I think MF almost went belly up (also related to Iply's shitty dev record), and the others how inconsequential we are. You know, underestimate us, that's great because in the long term it makes that KO that much easier.

Mech

Cipher
Seven, it's the PR's guy to be vauge at this point. If he makes a decision on his own he gets fired. You REALLY need to learn some things about the gaming industry before you talk like your a guru.

Seven

Erudite
Feargus Urquhart said:
I've always liked the phrase "Screaming at the wind." although some of you are turing the screaming into pissing - and for most of us that's not a lot of fun when it gets blown back in your face.

In other words - what you guys are saying is not helping your case. I'm sure Bethesda will listen to some of what you guys say if the words "No Talent Ass Clowns" or "it better be better than MW" are not included in every sentance.

I've talked with one of their designers, Ken, a number of times and he's certainly a bright guy.

Mabye you won't like what they make Fallout into. However, if whatever game they make is successful there is probably a greater chance that the game you down want to be made, will eventually be made.

Go play with your particle effects you. :P

Mech

Cipher
Seven said:
Judas said:
useless junk

I know you weren't trying to be offensive so I'll simply say this: go ask Microforte, the Lionheart team, and the FO: POS team how much influence we have: I think MF almost went belly up (also related to Iply's shitty dev record), and the others how inconsequential we are. You know, underestimate us, that's great because in the long term it makes that KO that much easier.

Get your head out of your ass seven, this community has no influence what so ever. Unless you are robbing their accounts of money you can't do jack shit even though you like to believe you do. Go ahead and believe it all you want, just realise it's just a little fantasy made to make you feel better.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Judas said:
Again, over-estimating your importance, friend. The NMA/Codex crowd is loud and angry, but they are a minority. Any good ideas they may have are generally lost in a sea of nasty, childish bitterness. As a result, I don't think there are many people out there (devs and fans) who take them seriously anymore...

That's exactly right shitbird, Since We all know the real majority that they "listen to"
are a bunch of adolescent ass kissing MMORPG players who all own consoles.
So leave us to our ranting and cynicism because above all else you obtuse motherfuckers
simply fail to realize that most folks here really do not give a shit. Fallouts dead -you see, and all the corpse raping bean-counters with good intentions paved that road to hell the day they got on the phone with Herve.

Seven

Erudite
Mech said:
Seven, it's the PR's guy to be vauge at this point. If he makes a decision on his own he gets fired. You REALLY need to learn some things about the gaming industry before you talk like your a guru.

I wasn't talking like a guru. And yeah I'm familiar with his role, that's why I know there are certain things that he can and cannot comment on. Perhaps if you took the time to read what has been commented on you would see that I have valid points unlike yourself whose posts are now resembling Plin's in terms of content, which is to say you're not making sense.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'll repeat: And? they'll ignore me? r00fles! Bethseda has been ignoring me for 20 years now. They've ignored me everythime they've made a game. every single time. Why should I all of asudden think that'll change and listen to what i want as they have ignored me for 20 years. I repeat, they have ignored me for 20 years and that ain't gonna change just becuase they got the FO license. R00fles!

And, now for some fun responses.

"You sound like a 13 year old, so you are either lying or... I think the other option is obvious"

The only liar here is you. i've been playing games for 20+ years so don't give me that crap about being 13 years old just becuase I dare to dislike your fave dev. Heck, I've played/dmed pnp for nearly 20 years now. Go figure. It's not my fault that Betsheda has made no games I've nejoyed and have no intetnion 9seemingly) of making games I enjoy. That's all well and good; but due to this I'm not gonna be faking excitement they got the license for one of two favorite crpg series.

"Volourn, i've been reading your posts for years now "

Who are you/ And, years? I've only been on the 'net for 2-3 years MAX but you've been reading me for YEARS? Whiule talk about taking it to the minimum. Wowsers!

"i've never seen you be the type of poster that devs would take seriously. "

You'd be dead wrong as devs HAVE taken me seriously and we've had some good disucssions. i tend not to go out of my way to flame devs too much though I do poke fun at them from time to time as they do with me.

"No offense"

Don't lie. you mean offense so don't pretend otherwise. please, and thank you.

"even the other posters generally don't take you that seriously."

Another lie. The repsonses I get from various posters kinda disproves your theory hotshot. Beleive me, some psoters think of me as a joke; others take me seriously.

What's funny is I get acused of being childish yet these punks flame me childishly wavering their arms around. LMAO

FLASHBACK:

I have not once threatened Bethseda devs in any way.

I have not spammed their forums or their e-mails with spam or trolling or flames out of spite.

All I have said is that i have disliked their games and because of that cannot share in the joy of them getting the license.

Yet, I'm attacked left and right by thier Protectors because of why/ Because i'm not singing their praises and kissing their behinds as I should be most gratefully do. Very weird.

You guys troll and flame me and whine when I defend myself. Keep up the good work. good entertainment, indeed.

That is all. :twisted:

Seven

Erudite
Mech said:
Mech puts his foot in his mouth yet again

Well say and think what you will, and there are three flops and three examples that you cannot deny, perhaps you'd likle to wait for Followind to flop? Yeah, but even then you'd probably still not admit that you were wrong, perhaps it's you who should get his head out of his ass because you seem to have the perpensity for ignoring facts and continuing to argue without any logical basis.

EDIT: Com'mon Volournwe all know that you're 13, there's nothing wrong with that; it's not like you're a wrestling fan. :P

Mech

Cipher
Seven said:
Mech said:

I wasn't talking like a guru. And yeah I'm familiar with his role, that's why I know there are certain things that he can and cannot comment on. Perhaps if you took the time to read what has been commented on you would see that I have valid points unlike yourself whose posts are now resembling Plin's in terms of content, which is to say you're not making sense.

Quote:
A. Again, too early, although I will say that as a general rule we plan to remain as true and faithful as possible to what made Fallout such a great and memorable experience.

I guess SPECIAL isn't as fundamental as we thought, but then again neither is the FO atmosphere or style of play which begs the question why use the FO name at all.

"I wasn't talking like a guru" <-- Off of ONE SINGLE STATEMENT you assume they aren't going to use SPECIAL.
Hypocrite.

Sheriff05 said:
That's exactly right shitbird, Since We all know the real majority that they "listen to" are a bunch of adolescent ass kissing MMORPG players who all own consoles.
So leave us to our ranting and cynicism because above all else you obtuse motherfuckers
simply fail to realize that most folks here really do not give shit. Fallouts dead -you see, and all the corpse raping bean-counters with good intentions paved that road to hell the day they got on the phone with Herve.

Shhhh! If you give it all away, it's going to spoil our fun. :P

errorcode

Liturgist
Seven said:
Sorry, but you're not looking at the situation in it's entirety. Before things got to this point there was:
Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.

After getting that how would you expect us to react? But lets not forget this:

I guess SPECIAL isn't as fundamental as we thought, but then again neither is the FO atmosphere or style of play which begs the question why us the FO name at all. This farce is insulting. Not only that people like you come around here and talk in reasoned tones thinking that it's a reasonable situation, well it's not, and you're not being realistic or reasonable. Lets try this, you go to their website use your approach and lets see how far you get?

After seeing a qoute like that my first thought would be "well, what the fuck are they going to use?" but i wouldn't start proclaiming that Bethesda is going to totally screw over fallout already.

And, i know i'm in the minority, but i don't see SPECIAL as being fundamental to Fallout, at least not as it was presented in FO1 or FO2. Technology has moved on and the ability to offer players more choices is there. Why limit what they could do because of a system that was created 7 years ago. I don't see why they shouldn't expand on what SPECIAL was to create a new system, as long as it stay with the spirit of what Fallout had. But that's just my opinion, and i know it's most likely not a popular one.

And as to going to a devs forums and using my approach, it got me into the game industry. i've gotten to be pretty good friends with a couple devs out there and i've been able to throw my 2 cents in on a couple projects. Did they all get put into a game? of course not. But they did get listened to. Thats the point. Right now RPG codex, as a whole, should have the goal of getting the devs to be willing to talk to them.

Seven

Erudite
Mech said:
Hypocrite.

Fucktard. Oh BTW, At least I'm basing my statments on some thing where as you, well... I guess you're just crossing you're fingers and wishing well. And in case you didn't know it SPECIAL wasn't designed for a RT system, so FUCK OFF TWIT.

Mech

Cipher
Seven said:
Mech said:
Hypocrite.

Fucktard. Oh BTW, At least I'm basing my statments on some thing where as you, well... I guess you're just crossing you're fingers and wishing well. And in case you didn't know it SPECIAL wasn't designed for a RT system, so FUCK OFF TWIT.

*blinks*
What does realtime have to do with the fact that you are a hypocrite?:D

Archeopterix

Novice
Jeez. You people are acting like its the end of the world. Prior to this news the chance of you getting Fallout 3 was zero percent. Now an accomplished and talented company has agreed to pick up on your game series and all there has been in the last 24 hours on forums is screaming bloody murder. So there's a possibility that your game won't be 100% what you expected, that goes for every game series everywhere. Do you think that Baldurs Gate II was what everyone expected it it be? Do you think that Morrowind was what the Elder Scrolls fans thought it would be? It wasn't. But one of the great points about Bethesda Softworks is they read the forums (not just their own btw, the bethsoft developers will most likely see this thread and this post) and they listen to their fans and act accordingly. Its impossible to please everyone of course, but they do a lot more with their community than most other game companies ever would. I can guarentee that even with the most hardcore fans, F3 wouldn't have been what everyone expected even if Interplay had made it. You should be happy that you're finally getting your game, not whining about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom