Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird habits carried over games

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I always play a human paladin with the same name.

If there are no paladins then I'll be the knight
If there are no knights I'll be the meele guy

ShaggyMoose

Savant
In most games that have monks, they seem to turn into unstoppable killing machines by the later levels. The reason I tend not to use them is they can never equip any of the shiny loot I am collecting, which makes me sad.

SniperHF

Arcane
Every sidequest available must be done before advancing the plot. This is mostly out of paranoia the content will get locked out if the plot is advanced, eventhough most new games don't do this or warn you heavily.

For non RPGs or hybrids, I will ALWAYS rebind the reload key to Z. The Rainbow Six series were the first shooters I played heavily (aside from older ones where reloading wasn't really a thing) and they defaulted reload to Z so it's hard wired in my brain now.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
When my character is a dwarf (and he always is, if there's an option) I keep a collection of gemstones, 1 of each kind, regardless of how much I could sell them for.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Deadfire. I recommend Mirke - the constantly drunk female pirate.

Yeah i've been playing that and even recruited her. Forgot about her though. If I understand correctly, she's not a fully fleshed out companion like the rest of them, right?
Also, is it possible to replace the fighter role with the monk in that game? Do monks tank?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I am big book collector in RL. If I find enough cool books, I keep them somewhere in my homebase. The same goes with favorite weapons. If they grew on me and I found something better, I will still keep them or use it, until it really doesn't work anymore. Same with armour.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah i've been playing that and even recruited her. Forgot about her though. If I understand correctly, she's not a fully fleshed out companion like the rest of them, right?
Also, is it possible to replace the fighter role with the monk in that game? Do monks tank?

Yeah, she is a sidekick without a companion story - but she still chimes in in conversations sometimes. As to monks, in Deadfire they can be a tank - I gave Mirke the best armor I could find, had the large shield modal bonus, etc. Paladins are still the best tanks, so I had one of those as well.

Monks in Deadfire have some super-useful abilities like conjuring up two copies of themselves or jumping to every enemy and hitting them once.

Yeah, she is a sidekick without a companion story - but she still chimes in in conversations sometimes. As to monks, in Deadfire they can be a tank - I gave Mirke the best armor I could find, had the large shield modal bonus, etc. Paladins are still the best tanks, so I had one of those as well.

Monks in Deadfire have some super-useful abilities like conjuring up two copies of themselves or jumping to every enemy and hitting them once.
Yeah just gave her a try. Not bad at all. I think i'll have her replace my ranger.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If a game has decent unarmed combat option. I always go monk. It doesn't matter if there are "better" classes.
I am yet to play an RPG as a monk. Any RPGs you'd recommend where it'll be fun to do so?
I am currently pkaying Underrail as an unarmed combatant. Both Pillars of Eternity games have some different mechanics for monks. If you can stand the engine, I made a monk character in Storm of Zehir and Mask of the Betrayer.
It's even kind of fun to run around with powerfists in the Fallout games.

I don't know if you'd enjoy playing a monk in the IE games, though.

There's a lot more, but those are a few examples.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
As I dislike playing too powerful character or party, I almost never finish my games once reached higher levels.

Momock

Augur
I always organize grid inventories thusly: stuff on the left I’m keeping, stuff on the right I’m selling.

Given the option I always make the choices I’d make if I was in the situation the game’s character is in. I always think it’d be neat to play an evil bastard or a pious goody two-shoes but I just can’t help it and never end up going back and role-playing a different character.
Kind of the same here at times. That's why I couldn't manage to play Mass Effect with it's stupid blue/red division where you can't take some decisions without maxing one of the two. I had to use the console to get rid of that and play a character with actual character.

I always play parties with only one human male and a harem of females.

Purge the contenders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom