Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are they gonna make me go into my journal to read what's happening? Are they fucking demented? Making you look shit up in the book was either because of the economics of printing paper vs. floppy disks in the 1980s or as a form of copy protection. This is just mindless busywork to anyone who didn't play the original. And for anyone who did, it's "nostalgia" in the same sense that having someone tie you up and hammer you in the ass is "nostalgia" for your relationship with your uncle.
I bet that 'paragraph 2' is a hyperlink, like in Tyranny.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You'll probably be able to switch between modes, no?
You can't in BTT. Theydidn't even bother to have all classic animations an option for nostalgia fans. Maybe good... maybe bad? Waste of time & space? Slapping a new coat of paint over the old with exact same gameplay seems sloppy here. And i'd hope the paragraphs are "in-game." Who care to switch to the pdf or print it out these days. Sure, i can pull out my old books but newer games would probably be annoyed. Ive seen manuals of console games and most ive seen are barely a few sheets of paper.

Saduj

Arcane
Wasteland reminds me of the days when you had to go to a computer store to buy games and often ended up rolling the dice on something you knew nothing about before seeing it at the store. Bought this for the C64 with my own money as a kid because it looked like a cross between Bard’s Tale (combat) and Ultima (world map) to me - except with guns. Was very pleased that I didn’t waste my money. Then the game disk corrupted.

If they’ve made some quality of life updates to the interface, maybe I’ll finally try to finish it.....

Boleskine

Arcane
Are they gonna make me go into my journal to read what's happening?

It could be something like:

"This game requires players to download an app to their smartphones in order to access in-game journals."

Of course the app will also require permissions for full access to your contacts, photos, etc.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Funny is the old cd rom shareware packages you could buy for 1-3$. I recall wasteland packaged on one or two. Of course every EA compilation package hac this somewhere it seems. I really have no clue to hiw many copies from different sources i ened up with this. I thought it was amazing when it came out on c64 but thats eroded over time on the pc. Maybe i need to play through it again.

Morkar Left

Wasteland reminds me of the days when you had to go to a computer store to buy games and often ended up rolling the dice on something you knew nothing about before seeing it at the store. Bought this for the C64 with my own money as a kid because it looked like a cross between Bard’s Tale (combat) and Ultima (world map) to me - except with guns. Was very pleased that I didn’t waste my money. Then the game disk corrupted.

If they’ve made some quality of life updates to the interface, maybe I’ll finally try to finish it.....

Never play with the original disks!

Saduj

Arcane

Haha. I forgot about having game disks instead of save slots... Me and my brothers each had our own disk but I thought the game would occasionally ask you to insert the original. Or you had to load the game up from the original and then swap in your game disk.

Along the same lines, I was recently talking to someone about having to create boot disks for DOS games. I only had a vague understanding of what the stuff in a Config.sys file meant. Sometimes it would take hours but eventually I would get it to work. There were naysayers, but getting Wing Commander to run on a 386 with EGA graphics was a crowning achievement.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
64236363_2273334686049115_993831268808392704_o.jpg

"Here's a first look at Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition. WL30th is a remake of the legendary RPG, and it is arriving later this year. Much more to come as we get closer!"

Morkar Left

Along the same lines, I was recently talking to someone about having to create boot disks for DOS games. I only had a vague understanding of what the stuff in a Config.sys file meant. Sometimes it would take hours but eventually I would get it to work. There were naysayers, but getting Wing Commander to run on a 386 with EGA graphics was a crowning achievement.

Oh yeah getting Privateer to run on the pc was a bitch. Thanks to my neighbour and his custom-made bootmenu it finally worked.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Confirmed for release in Q4: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/08...asteland-remaster-coming-soon-xbox-game-pass/

The Bard’s Tale Trilogy and Wasteland Remasters Coming Soon to Xbox Game Pass

With The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut and Wasteland 3 on the horizon, it’s a fantastic time for Xbox Game Pass RPG fans to go back to where it all began with The Bard’s Tale Trilogy arriving August 13, and the original post-apocalyptic RPG — Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition — later this year.

The 1985 classic The Bard’s Tale, along with its two sequels, revolutionized and helped define the growing computer RPG genre. Three years later, Wasteland brought the post-apocalypse to gaming with narrative innovations that helped inspire many future games, including the Falloutseries. Now, both classics are being remastered and are arriving on Xbox One and PC on the Microsoft Store, and both will be available with Xbox Game Pass at launch.

WL30th_Logo_JPG.jpg

Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition is a remaster of the classic game that brought the post-apocalypse to RPGs, and it’s arriving later this year. For fans eagerly awaiting Wasteland 3, it’ll be the perfect opportunity to see where the story of the Desert Rangers all began.

You’ll have countless hours of fantastic adventuring ahead of you with inXile’s upcoming releases: The Bard’s Tale Trilogy (August 13), The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut (August 27), Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition (Q4 2019), and Wasteland 3 (Spring 2020)! Great days are ahead for RPG fans with Xbox Game Pass!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The paragraphs are now integrated as illustrated scenes: https://www.reddit.com/r/inXile/comments/cl57n4/updates_on_the_bards_tale_and_wasteland_remasters/

Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition is a remaster of the classic game that brought the post-apocalypse to RPGs, and it’s arriving later this year. For fans eagerly awaiting Wasteland 3, it’ll be the perfect opportunity to see where the story of the Desert Rangers all began.

The Storybook is now in the game!

Alpha image, Graphics and UI not final

Perhaps the biggest addition is the new localization effort, providing language support for French, German, Polish, Russian, and Spanish for both titles!

You’ll have countless hours of fantastic adventuring ahead of you with inXile’s upcoming releases: The Bard’s Tale Trilogy (August 13), The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut (August 27), Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition (Q4 2019), and Wasteland 3 (Spring 2020)! Great days are ahead for RPG fans!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has there been any mention of platform exclusivity for this? The wording is a bit suspect.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This and Bard's Tale Trilogy are inXile's first games that are "Microsoft-exclusive" (PC and Xbox but not Playstation) but I'm guessing Strange Fellow doesn't care so much about that.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i'm mildly hyped for Wasteland 3. I liked the 2nd one well enough, though it became a real slog to play halfway thru.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The WL3 target date is the loosest, they can’t decide 2020 Q1 or Q2.
Knowing inXile, it’s gonna be a shit show regardless!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Not bad for an artist’s first attempt at a ponytail. Still that blonde sausage growing out of her head makes me feel uneasy; perhaps she got too close to an anomaly?

JDR13

Arcane
Anyone know what the latest ETA is?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom