Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is CK2 a R(ole)P(layin)G game?

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I think yes.

It has stats for your character, choice and consequence, items, romances, etc. The combat is shit but is so the one of most of the genre.

What do you think?

Beastro

Arcane
Its a true RPG/Strategy hybrid.

Hybrid? No.

It's clearly a Grand Strat with RPG elements, but that doesn't make it an RPG. It's simply too "passive", and as odd as it sounds, too abstract to be an RPG. If it did invovle your PC more than being a simple portait with some abstracted options then I don't think it would be a Grand Strategy but an RPG with GS elements.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Game is addictive as shit, RPG or not. I'm still playing this fucking thing. Trying to start as a Greek count in Thebes during Charlemagne and get the SPQR achievement. Too many restarts, though, because starting as a small count is the funnest part of the game.

Fucks up the Byzantine Empire something fierce if they can't conquer Hellas, Epirus, Achia, and Ohrid. They end up weak as shit and have tons of Islamic incursion. AI goes full retard and starts attacking Islamic kingdoms and wasting men and resources. You have to keep restarting if they end up taking Ohrid AND another Slav duchy.

RaptorRex888

Learned
Hybrid? No.

It's clearly a Grand Strat with RPG elements, but that doesn't make it an RPG. It's simply too "passive", and as odd as it sounds, too abstract to be an RPG. If it did invovle your PC more than being a simple portait with some abstracted options then I don't think it would be a Grand Strategy but an RPG with GS elements.
I guess you're right, as I just remembered you officially play as a dynasty in this game rather than a character or nation. Its quite arbitrary where you draw the line in regards to this game though and say "Yep, its got one more RPG option now, that makes it an RPG with Grand Strat elements now.".

Codex Year of the Donut
It's a game in which you play a role.

So football manager games are RPGs? The more you know!
Most modern sportsball games have more RPG elements than a lot of so-called RPGs.
NHL 2019(Hockey) has something like 15 different classes(yes, classes.)
Each character has 9 offensive attributes, 6 defensive attributes, and 8 athletic attributes.
Each character has two traits, every trait gives both a bonus and has a negative tradeoff. The first trait is your 'primary' one and gives a bigger bonus/negative than the secondary one. Something like 100+ traits in total.
Each character has one specialty, which is sort of like a trait but only applies in specific situations when certain conditions are met, and has no negative. There are at least 21 different specialties.

All of these screenshots are from a so-called sports videogame:
Talent tree:
My-Great-Capture-Screenshot-2018-09-17-16-20-56.png
Specialties:
My-Great-Capture-Screenshot-2018-09-17-16-21-21.png
Screenshot of your character sheet:
snapshot.jpg

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For two decades there has been a consensus that King of Dragon Pass is a role-playing game, so the answer is an obvious yes. You'd have to suffer from a chromosome deficiency to argue against it, which in indeed some people do and I wish them and their families all the best and hope that their carers will do what they can to alleviate the mental strain experienced by the Down's Syndrome brain when faced with opposition. CK2 is also more of a core role-playing game than KoDP across all parametres.

The term RPG elements is imo really misleading. There's really no such thing. You can have an RPG without any of the traditional "elements" that people mistakenly identify them by.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The term RPG elements is imo really misleading. There's really no such thing. You can have an RPG without any of the traditional "elements" that people mistakenly identify them by.

You seem misinformed about the true nature of what makes an RPG. Please open a new thread to discuss this very important topic

You seem misinformed about the true nature of what makes an RPG. Please open a new thread to discuss this very important topic
Ha! I was born at night but it wasn't last night.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I always try to roleplay according to my ruler's traits in CK2, so I guess it's a roleplaying game when I play it.

I've wasted too much of my life to that game.
Same, it especially took me forever to form the Empire of the Outremer.

snapshot.jpg
If your character is 5'10" you can obviously play as a Dwarf, how many other races are in this game?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's a game in which you play a role.

So football manager games are RPGs? The more you know!
Most modern sportsball games have more RPG elements than a lot of so-called RPGs.
NHL 2019(Hockey) has something like 15 different classes(yes, classes.)
Each character has 9 offensive attributes, 6 defensive attributes, and 8 athletic attributes.
Each character has two traits, every trait gives both a bonus and has a negative tradeoff. The first trait is your 'primary' one and gives a bigger bonus/negative than the secondary one. Something like 100+ traits in total.
Each character has one specialty, which is sort of like a trait but only applies in specific situations when certain conditions are met, and has no negative. There are at least 21 different specialties.

All of these screenshots are from a so-called sports videogame:
Talent tree:
My-Great-Capture-Screenshot-2018-09-17-16-20-56.png
Specialties:
My-Great-Capture-Screenshot-2018-09-17-16-21-21.png
snapshot.jpg
soyjoys => making fun of people who play sports games, calling them low brow

people who actually play games:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom