Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is a good (recent) 2d-style/side-scroller action games? (Can also be top-down zelda-clones)

J1M

Arcane
The Mummy Demastered is a nice metroid-like game with excellent pixel art.

The-Mummy-Demastered-Ann.jpg

Shinji

Savant
"From the creators of Momodora"

I thought they were working on a "Momodora Souls"?

But thank God they kept working on a side-scroller game, this 3D Momodora game they were working on was really a step back in many ways.

Twizman

Scholar
Boss battle theme from Maldita Castilla is so good..evokes a feeling of evil revealing itself.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Speaking of top-down Zelda clones, there's this game.

Same dev also made this, which is basically a more hardcore Metroid with challenging platforming and boss fights.

Volgarr is pretty damn cool. It's an homage to Rygar and it's hard as fucking shit. One of the best things to come out of Kickstarter.

It's not recent but if you haven't played it yet, Goku Makaimura Kai on the PSP (it's a jp-only version of Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts directed by the original series creator, Tokuro Fujiwara) is also excellent. It's also balls to the wall hard.

Really wish they'd of released that on more stuff than the fuckin' PSP. Could have probably been big on XBOX LIVE like Pac-Man Championship Edition and Galaga Legions ended up being.

Yeah, I love the original Wild Guns, I really need to get Reloaded. Wish more companies would do updates (remakes?) for older stuff like they've done with those two games.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Here's a good Sonic/Ristar/Gunstar Heroes/Other Sega games-like that's pretty challenging (i died over 20 times on the final boss and even the regular enemies can fuck you up pretty good) and with three playable characters.

There's a sequel in the works as well with now four playable characters.

CallMeSnek

Novice
Hollow Knight is one of those "best game ever" sort of deals. It's easily in my top 3 games of all time. Pretty much perfect.

Fishy

Savant
Not sure what you've played already and how recent you want your recommendations, so...

- It's rather easy and linear, but I loved Guacamelee. Luchadors, alternative graphic style, warm colours, shit puns based on geek culture or mexican food, melee combat system with combos that doubles up as movement skills unlocking areas, chickens, the Devil... It even has 2 player coop. I loved every single minute of it. Have yet to play the second one so can't speak for it.

- Axiom Verge is a one-man love letter to Super Metroid. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good and your first blind run should have you puzzled for a bit as to where to go next in true metroidvania style. Shitloads of weapons, sadly most are useless or unneeded as you get the best one very early, but it's fun to hunt them down. Codes to find and use to change some layout, a unique 'glitch gun', some optional entire glitchy areas, it's very worth playing at least once. The speedrun is cool too, there's some great movement to be found, although the character sprite is too static and never feels as good as Samus running around.

- Environmental Station Alpha, another super metroid like, but in extreme pixel style. Don't let the graphics fool you though, it's quality and has everything you'd expect from a metroidvania and more. Includes some extreme platforming as optional content.

- Not as good as the previous hand crafted ones, A Robot Named Fight is still worth trying imho. It's kind of a procedurally generated Super Metroid. So each run will have a different layout, contain different weapons, powerups and bosses. It's all about adaptating to the seed and making the best from the hand you're being given. And of course, you can specify a seed if you want to, so if you enjoy a specific layout or have regrets after dying, you can always retry that one instead of going for a new one.

PrettyDeadman

I liked Savage: The Shard of Gosen, even though played its demo only for a bit (btw there is a free demo available on steam):

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom