Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
there are only 5 [launchers] now with exclusives and managing your games with them is still way less of a hassle than it was before the launchers and thanks to 12% cut on Epic, there won't be more.
rating_thanks.png
Epic fucking lol

How much of a shill can one be?

:lol::lol::lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nobody likes exclusives, we understand why they exist but there is a world of difference of what happened with Mass Effect and what happened with Metro Exodus.

I don't like exclusives either. I was just trying to judge where on the "bad" scale people were putting these. I will say I'll take a "I have to install another free client on my PC that isn't as good" exclusive over a "I have to buy a $400 PS4 to play Bloodborne at 30fps" exclusive though, in a heartbeat.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Let me guess - Bllodborne was developed for pc and then, few weeks before release, suddenly Sony bribed developers?

I said which one I'd rather deal with, not which is more "moral" or "nice" or whatever the fuck term you want to use. Sony funding the development from day one doesn't help me play the fucking game on my PC.

Achilles

Arcane
Let me guess - Bllodborne was developed for pc and then, few weeks before release, suddenly Sony bribed developers?

I said which one I'd rather deal with, not which is more "moral" or "nice" or whatever the fuck term you want to use. Sony funding the development from day one doesn't help me play the fucking game on my PC.

Who is presenting you with that dilemma? The console situation has nothing to do with PC gaming.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Exclusives are great if the ones doing them are nice people.

Or in other words, getting fucked in the ass is great if they use lube.

Achilles

Arcane
The only thing that stops you is brand loyalty and valuing "store experienece" more than the product - the most retarded consumerist values.

The store experience directly affects the product.

True, if you're into renting games which is what the likes of Steam and Epic do.

Otherwise, I have no idea what kind of retarded statement is that.

It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Steam has some features that make the game better. For instance, Steam automatically adds controller support to every game. That's a store experience that makes a game better.

Achilles

Arcane
I see people saying "who cares about Steam's features, I only use a couple of them". That's the point. There are various groups of customers that really like Big Picture mode, or controller support, or one-click mod installation, or Linux support or communities and forums, but that's how you get all of these different groups to all prefer using your service over another. You have something for everyone.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Pretty much, yes. Linuxtards are irrelevant.

Just some loudmouthed morons crying for Linux support and never actually buying anything. Pretty much the equivalent of SJWs.
As far as I know, no Linux port was ever profitable.

It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Steam has some features that make the game better. For instance, Steam automatically adds controller support to every game. That's a store experience that makes a game better.

I see. So by that logic, it's not even worth buying games if they're not on Steam, because on Steam they're automatically better.

Yeah, no steamtardness here. None at all. No retarded platform fanboys at all. No, sir.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And here's something else Steam does.

It makes game purchases into rentals.
If adding controller support (fucking lol) makes a game better, turning into a rental definitely makes it worse. Infinitely worse, as far as I'm concerned, to the point that no money should be given to Steam ever.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

If adding controller support (fucking lol) makes a game better, turning into a rental definitely makes it worse. Infinitely worse, as far as I'm concerned, to the point that no money should be given to Steam ever.

Steam has little to do with that, if game is DRM free you own it anyway and is the developer or publisher's decision to make it use Steam or other DRM, so you should actually not give money to them. Also that rental stuff are yet to be tested in court if it ever become actually a problem. I would bet other stores to go down the rabbit hole before steam, mainly EA.

Achilles

Arcane
I see. So by that logic, it's not even worth buying games if they're not on Steam, because on Steam they're automatically better.

Them being better depends on what you are looking for. For example, if you want DRM-free games then games are automatically better on GOG. If you want Steam's features then they're better on Steam. If you want to give as much money as possible to the developers then games on Itch.io are better. Every platform has something that might appeal to people except Epic. This is why they are trying to force people to spend money on their store, they have no other way of attracting customers.

Achilles

Arcane

PC games were rentals way before Steam, since the time of CD keys and online activations.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
loudmouthed morons crying
Bro, look at... oh... I dunno... every single one of your posts on Codex. You come off as a petulant child absolutely fixated on this moronic issue of game ownership. We're talking about fucking video games, son. Things that people typically pay around $50 for at most. Quite often far far FAR less in the days of digital distribution (think I paid about $5ish each for Dishonored 2 and Prey).

Since you seem to be about sixteen, let me explain to you the reality of the 80's and 90's. Most people would buy physical games and then probably lose them in about five or six years. Very few people had this collecting fetish for boxed copies. I can go back now and find games I [lol rented] on Steam from a decade ago. Back in the 90's I (and most other normal people) would probably have long since lost physical copies of games we had bought ten years prior. Never mind the fact that if, for some reason, Steam imploded; we live in the internet age where you can 'locate' another digital copy of the game elsewhere.

You are the Codex's gibbering homeless guy standing on a corner ranting about the dangers of flouride in the drinking water. Time to seek help.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wait... why did passerby brofist that? I think DalekFlay's alt bot is broken. Also, fun fact for reference in the above post. Pint of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream cost $5.50+ at the supermarket. But it's physical and I own it!!! t3h RESALE VALUE!!!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bro, look at... oh... I dunno... every single one of your posts on Codex. You come off as a petulant child absolutely fixated on this moronic issue of game ownership. We're talking about fucking video games, son. Things that people typically pay around $50 for at most. Quite often far far FAR less in the days of digital distribution (think I paid about $5ish each for Dishonored 2 and Prey).

Since you seem to be about sixteen, let me explain to you the reality of the 80's and 90's. Most people would buy physical games and then probably lose them in about five or six years. Very few people had this collecting fetish for boxed copies. I can go back now and find games I [lol rented] on Steam from a decade ago. Back in the 90's I (and most other normal people) would probably have long since lost physical copies of games we had bought ten years prior. Never mind the fact that if, for some reason, Steam imploded; we live in the internet age where you can 'locate' another digital copy of the game elsewhere.

You are the Codex's gibbering homeless guy standing on a corner ranting about the dangers of flouride in the drinking water. Time to seek help.

Console games were driven by a pawn shop style economy through Gamestop for what, 20 years? It's still limping along. I agree that was never really anywhere near as much a thing on PC though, which is probably one reason digital took over so fast. I don't really think the benefits he talks about have anything to do with a disc though. A DRM free download from GOG is just as safe and immune from edits or song removals or whatever else as an old disc is, assuming you back it up. I switched to digital as soon as I could, but I definitely prefer DRM free downloads from GOG for a variety of reasons (though I don't obsess about it).

It more concerns me with movies, where everyone is switching to streams you don't really control at all, and Hollywood is starting to show a willingness to edit content (Toy Story 2 joke removed, Executive Decision Muslim terrorists shot removed, Spaceballs music removed, etc.). That plus the compression artifacts on streams have me still buying discs in 2019, which is annoying.

Codex Year of the Donut
With regards to how well games will sell on Steam that have already been out for a year as epic-exclusives, Destiny 2 is one of the global top sellers atm(along with being one of the most wishlisted games) and it's not out on Steam for another 2 months.
The game released on Activision's own platform nearly 2 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom