Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Black Angel

Arcane
Is there any indication whatsoever that suggests that this is even remotely true?
The game's already put a big ass Security Camera Footage zone control on the screen. This means they'll definitely check out their camera footage to see if there's anything wrong. Did you think they won't notice the camera being disabled?
Because I was exploring the prison and the cameras were in the way. It's what I do. I explore everything as thoroughly as I can when I get to it. Most of the time, the game even accounts for it - so often, in fact, that I react when it doesn't.
Notably, Gorsky's quests in Core City doesn't - you have to take the quests and then immediately start conversation with him again, rather than just being able to tell him "I've already done that".
Then this is just good ol' plain choice and consequence. You do stuff, the game reacts to it. It could've been done better, but as far as the devs intended, they're working.
That begs the question as to why there's no feedback whatsoever when that actually happens - alarms going off, guards going hostile or trying to keep you in the prison, lockdown happening, etc. Instead, it's ignored completely, only to suddenly become an issue later, without anything indicating that that is the reason? If that's "working as designed", that's just really fucking shitty design.
You're in stealth, you disabled the cameras, you weren't detected by anybody the whole time. The reaction goes later when you leave the prison, when it's time for the guards to check on the camera footage, and also checking if there's any cell doors open.

Also, if the game actually make the alarm goes off and guards becoming hostile the very exact moment you disabled the cameras/opened a cell door, I bet your ass you're going to complain anyway. And so does anyone else, because why the fuck would the alarm goes off just because a cell door is opened while the cameras are disabled? But when you leave a cell door open, and worst, you disabled the camera just because you want to lollygag around even though there's no particular importance for you to do so at the moment, then the game better react to it. Once again, good ol' plain choice and consequence, with the system working as intended.
Hahaha, oh wow, the delusion is real. The games have psychic enemies and scripted events, there's nothing intricate about it.
https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Zone_Control

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The game's already put a big ass Security Camera Footage zone control on the screen. This means they'll definitely check out their camera footage to see if there's anything wrong. Did you think they won't notice the camera being disabled?
Consistent with the rest of the game, yeah, no, especially not when the cameras still work, it just doesn't record. Expecting things to operate one a "make sense" game-logic one moment and on a "rules-bound" explicit game-logic the next is either delusion or hypocrisy.
as the devs intended, they're working.
That'd just mean that the devs are shit. At least I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed that this was just another bug, which would make a whole lot more sense.
You're in stealth, you disabled the cameras, you weren't detected by anybody the whole time. The reaction goes later when you leave the prison, when it's time for the guards to check on the camera footage, and also checking if there's any cell doors open.
There's countless of different ways to handle this better. There's actual guards walking around those cells that would notice if doors are open - but they never react to them. If they'd do, then that'd make sense, but they don't. Trying to come up with post-hoc rationalizations how something nonsensical makes sense because of unrelated circumstances that are not actually expressed to the player in any way just reeks of grasping at straws out of some misguided fanboyism.
Also, if the game actually make the alarm goes off and guards becoming hostile the very exact moment you disabled the cameras/opened a cell door, I bet your ass you're going to complain anyway.
Bullshit - I was very surprised when the doors didn't actually have alarms on them at all, precisely because that'd "make sense".
And so does anyone else, because why the fuck would the alarm goes off just because a cell door is opened while the cameras are disabled?
Because the doors actually have alarms? It's not a novel concept. Hell, it's weird that they aren't all opened remotely at all. Again, the cameras aren't actually disabled. They're just not recording.
But when you leave a cell door open, and worst, you disabled the camera just because you want to lollygag around even though there's no particular importance for you to do so at the moment, then the game better react to it. Once again, good ol' plain choice and consequence, with the system working as intended.
I doubt it, I think you're just trying to come up with bullshit as to why the game could possibly be working as intended, even though none of this is actually articulated by the game in any way other than to render a quest practically impossible to resolve long after the fact.
Hahaha, oh wow, the delusion is real. The games have psychic enemies and scripted events, there's nothing intricate about it.
https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Zone_Control
Yes, exactly. There's nothing "intricate" about Zone Control, and most of the time it's entirely arbitrary. The game never operates on a "makes sense" basis, except, of course, when you need an inconvenient excuse to explain away why something is fucked.
The bigger issue is you miss out bigly unless do it the diplomatic way.
Eh, I'm fine with that, and had the game not bugged out on me, I would probably not have resolved it the diplomatic way, because that's not the kind of character I'm playing. I consider the choice of resolution to be very much a matter of choices and consequences, and it makes sense that exonerating the guy would carry a better long-term reward than just breaking him out (or killing him).

Not everything is straight-forward, and I think the quest design is richer because of it.

Jezal_k23

I don't think so. What's the stealthiest, cleverest thing you can do? Break into prison and cause a huge disturbance and lockdown?

Or is it working within the justice system to get that guy out, so that by the time you're done no one even knows anything weird has happened?

Tigranes

Arcane
You know, I think I'll agree with ItsChon. People probably had way too high expectation considering this expansion took 4 years. The swarms definitely need to be toned down, but other than that, I don't get people's problems with other aspect of the DLC.
  1. The map being the way it is, is due to the geography of the Black Sea. It isn't like the rivers of Underrail, and I imagine if they put bigger individual zones you probably gonna have more swarms trouble, hence the separation of each zones to same sizes. If you haven't noticed it yet, you can actually travel the water zones diagonally, whether it's Black Sea or Underrail rivers, which is useful to quickly get to where you want and to sneak past pirates, natives, and swarms.
  2. toro pointed out that stealth is mandatory, and yet Tigranes said he went back to the Black Sea after rerolling as a sniper (which I'd assume would have stealth) and still got bored of it. I personally finished and enjoyed the majority of the Black Sea as a stealth character, but I also had Persuasion and big brain 7-8 INT (and in some cases, Hypercerebrix) which probably helped me enjoy all Black Sea content, including the Deep Lore™. Again, I think this is a matter of expectation. Not sure what you guys expect, I went in expecting whatever and came out enjoying nearly everything the Black Sea had to offer.
  3. Once again, the Deep Lore™ stuff are completely optional, I don't get why people even had this problem. It's not like the game forced you to read them, and it's not like it's mandatory to proceed through the expansion. You're only told to collect them and register them to Seeger, that's it. You don't even need to bother interacting with his PC if you don't feel like reading some dead person's ramblings. As for stuff in computer consoles found in the facilities itself, I really don't remember any big reading other than for the music puzzle. There are no Deep Lore™ there.
  4. I don't get the thing about the places being identical. I mean, they're constructed by the exact same civilization. It's like complaining that the Hecate Research Outpost is identical to Panacea Lab. Each of the facilities also had its moments.
    Horticultural Center has those swarms (which is easily the worst part of the DLC), but then you also need to figure out how to get rid of the overgrown vines in that console (which you wouldn't be able to if you fail a [Reading Comprehension] check). The Nexus of Technology has its music puzzle, though it's not for everyone. It also has the crucial information regarding a McGuffin and another coordinates (and that's it, no Deep Lore™). BSRF has the submarine, Health Center has them spooky moments (need to tone down the swarms, though), LEMCO has some unique goodies, though depending on how much you care about exploring abandoned facilities and following the main quest, you either visit this place earlier or as the very last. Joint Security Headquarter has the coordinates to the last dungeon of the DLC, though there's something that needs to be done about the Nagas. And the Abyssal Zero Substation. Oh, God, I don't think I could ever express how much I love that place. It's the last chunk of content of the DLC, and yet it's easily THE best part of the entire DLC, if not the rest of the game.

Fetid Marsh can go fuck itself, though.
  5. But yeah, the swarm is a problem, yes. Once again, I feel like the swarms need to be toned down. Or at least made their behavior more clear. Or, make it so TNT and high AoE damage that could instant kill the hive, ALSO instantly kills the swarm. I don't get why can ANY of the locusts jumped out unscathed after their hive got blasted by a TNT charge. Swarms like crabs, creepers, and those statues also needs to be toned down. In moderation, they're challenging enemies like any other and I'm sure anybody wouldn't mind fighting them in great encounter design. But as it is... it's just obnoxious.

Pretty much everybody agrees that encounter design in the expansion is mediocre-to-poor. Stealth always lessens the pain, it always does in Underrail, but that doesn't change the underlying fact.

Excusing monotonous gameplay because of lore has never ever made sense for any video game in the universe. You make the lore to make the game. Nobody's forcing you to make lore require monotonous content.

You keep arguing that the loredumps can never be a problem if they are not mandatory, and I guess we'll agree to disagree on that.

I can also see how if you liked the music puzzle and found the health centre "spooky" then you'd also think a lot higher of the DLC content generally. I don't mean that as an insult, but that it's very subjective.

Parabalus

Arcane

I don't think so. What's the stealthiest, cleverest thing you can do? Break into prison and cause a huge disturbance and lockdown?

Or is it working within the justice system to get that guy out, so that by the time you're done no one even knows anything weird has happened?

That's not a justification for being the only proper solution.

You have a few ways to deal with the quest, but the most banal and easiest one is the single correct one, and that isn't really communicated well.

Not everything is straight-forward, and I think the quest design is richer because of it.

The quest is literally talk to warden, take rifle, talk to major. The entire prison might as well have been replaced with kiosk since that's the only way to do it, which is a damn shame.

The prison's on lockdown because some unknown person fucked with their cameras/looked around the cells. They don't know you did it so they're not hostile towards you, but they know someone did, so they're on lockdown while they try to figure it out. It's working as intended, not a bug. Kinda harsh, but not a bug.
Is there any indication whatsoever that suggests that this is even remotely true?
Dude, why are you asking that? You just experienced it yourself. You fucked around in the restricted areas and the next time you came back the prison was on lockdown. You should know how it works because you just did it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Trick of the day: Placing a semi-circle of Bear Traps and then detonating a stick of TNT in the middle of them is tremendously effective in making an entire areas worth of opponents run into a clump, at which point you throw a Napalm Grenade and then gun them down with the auto-fire of your choice.

Edit: I cannot over-state just how extremely fucking effective this is. I just pulled in 6 mutant dogs, a mutant, and a fucking Death Stalker, and wiped out everyone but 1 mutant dog, the stalker, and the mutant in a single attack, and then the stalker killed the remaining dog. And then the mutant picked up a barrel and murdered the stalker.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
nice, got the jetski back that i gave up in negotiations
izl7PAe.png

7kDIlln.png

fKWlp3r.jpg

Omaha beach: The Neverending Story

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5d5032c66940d-actual-footage-of-spear-user-vs-landing-party.php

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i played underrail for 9 hours this sunday

:shredder:

just as good as i remember if not better. playing psi build this time, real fun. the first time i didn't try oddity because i was a wimp and play on normal. this time i play on hard and with oddity system. just did camp hathor. it's fucking great.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I'm running a pure psi build too with no points spent on persuasion or subterfuge and just did camp hathor aswell. It's been fun af but I was sad I had to kill rathound king(every playthrough so far I gave him sarine but now I couldn't release her hopper pet nor persuade her so I had to kill my liege :negative:).

Rest in peace my liege. I'm sorry but I had to do it.

Rhk_l.png
xxxx-2019

- Jrpgfan the Kingslayer

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
Anyone else doing the pirate raid quests? Just got through the second one and hoo boy. Zone cheese or no you'll need some serious skill to get through that one. Next up is something even more huge
taking down the entire Eels' Rig apparently
so I'm looking forward to that.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Best outcome for Foundry quest ...

... is to find the Sniper rifle and the incriminating tablet (weapon dealer).

Best outcome for Camp Hathor quest ...

... is to make peace between the camp and the rathound king but not to give Sarine to him because that would break the peace.

Jezal_k23

Going over to the Rathound King is such a pain in the ass that I just kill him to get this over with and never come back again.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
So, spoiler me dudes who finished this shit: whats the lore?
Post world map.

Are there any good locales to visit?
I havent seen blistering shores and quarry and abyss stashun.
Even with godmode I cant stand this anymore.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Can confirm, Pickpocket is extremely profitable. It's not just dosh, either - almost every guard carries a ton of ammo, which is probably the easiest thing to sell. On top of that, many quest items can be pickpocketed, as well as keys, and I don't think I've seen it lead to any wonkyness. Overall it's very well implemented. The only real "issue" that I've had is that you can just plain forget about pickpocketing anything while stealthed, making Ninja Looter completely useless (except for your sanity).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Can confirm, Pickpocket is extremely profitable. It's not just dosh, either - almost every guard carries a ton of ammo, which is probably the easiest thing to sell. On top of that, many quest items can be pickpocketed, as well as keys, and I don't think I've seen it lead to any wonkyness. Overall it's very well implemented. The only real "issue" that I've had is that you can just plain forget about pickpocketing anything while stealthed, making Ninja Looter completely useless (except for your sanity).

I just robbed The Rig of almost everything, including the valuable vehicle parts from the dock, and my character has 0 Stealth naturally. With a cloaking device, balaclava, black leather armor, and black tabi, my Stealth is around 170. If I had the Clothier feat and a slightly nicer cloaking device, it'd probably be 190+. Throw in Nimble, and you're looking at a solid 200.

For better or worse, Styg has balanced Stealth and detection with these massive potential boosts in mind. To be completely fair, lurking in the immediate vicinity of armed and alert guards, and often in well-lit areas, would logically demand such a perfect setup (in fictional trope terms, at least). You most likely can pickpocket in such conditions, but only with maxed skill, high stats, Interloper, Ninja Looter, and a full set of custom-tailored stealth gear.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I just robbed The Rig of almost everything, including the valuable vehicle parts from the dock, and my character has 0 Stealth naturally. With a cloaking device, balaclava, black leather armor, and black tabi, my Stealth is around 170. If I had the Clothier feat and a slightly nicer cloaking device, it'd probably be 190+.

For better or worse, Styg has balanced Stealth and detection with these massive potential boosts in mind. To be completely fair, lurking in the immediate vicinity of armed and alert guards, and often in well-lit areas, would logically demand such a perfect setup (in fictional trope terms, at least).
My Stealth at lvl 20 is 262, just with Skills, Rathound Regalia, Ninja Tabi boots, and Cloaking Device, and it's still practically impossible to Pickpocket anyone (let alone hostiles) while maintaining stealth, even with Ninja Looter. To be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced Stealth over 200 even matters in the slightest. When standing just adjacent to someone, I see no difference at all whether I have my Cloaking Device on or off or not, and that alone accounts for 45 points of Stealth (and with a Pickpocket of 150, I can't reliably just hotkey "Loot All" for most marks).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
My Stealth at lvl 20 is 262, just with Skills, Rathound Regalia, Ninja Tabi boots, and Cloaking Device, and it's still practically impossible to Pickpocket anyone (let alone hostiles) while maintaining stealth, even with Ninja Looter. To be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced Stealth over 200 even matters in the slightest. When standing just adjacent to someone, I see no difference at all whether I have my Cloaking Device on or off or not, and that alone accounts for 45 points of Stealth (and with a Pickpocket of 150, I can't reliably just hotkey "Loot All" for most marks).

262? That's a like a coil spider strung up with Christmas lights, you conspicuous pipeworker.

400 effective is the absolute minimum in order to truly be hardcore.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I hope I will find something similar for a Sniper build because ... I almost want to become Tesla ;)

52AFB75A39B0DC97D621FD60BCF445B27035643C

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom