Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm tempted to play this for the same reasons I played SOTA.

Is it possible to save anywhere now ? Are significant improvements still coming in patches ? (I know the game will still suck no matter what).

Gord

Arcane
I'm tempted to play this for the same reasons I played SOTA.

Is it possible to save anywhere now ? Are significant improvements still coming in patches ? (I know the game will still suck no matter what).

Yes, you can save anywhere now and they even managed to make the dungeon interconnected. Wohoo. It's still lacking in noteworthy content, though, but you might enjoy a bit of morbid fascination when running through the levels.
I very much doubt there will be any additional content/feature patches.

Last edited:
Its huge discount on Steam now [around 6 euro]. I wonder about buying this game [mainly becouse of my Origin UU I & II sentiment] and add it to my Crpg collection of already around 350 rpg titles. Can someone point me if it's worth it, i mean does story is anywhere near Ultima , how's gameplay. I know there are tons of materials around but to have word from seasoned Codexers is worth more than any internet review .

Oh, you should definitely buy it. Heck, wait until it's off sale and pay full price to reward the dev's for their amazing job!

Efe

Erudite
doesnt start too bad. maybe the wizard talks too loud and too much + brightness setting is too dark even at max

also do i need save mineral stones, crystals, etc?

Nyast

Cipher
If you think the game is too dark you'll hate the fact that you can't hold a torch / crystal with a weapon at the same time, and that half the fights happen in dark corridors.

I don't recall any use for mineral stones or crystals ( unless you're speaking of the glowing crystal, in which case you only need one ).

Efe

Erudite
uhh. first quest i tihnk.. i released a lizardman from cage.. but hes not speaking to me?
uhh. there was a bugging enemy that kept stealthing away in a cloud of fart.
do i need to find and kill it to speak to lizard?

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
There are no NPC conversations in this game, so no, it won't speak to you. The lizardmen in cages can become your temporary "ally" and fight nearby enemies. There's a few per level, so they're pretty generic.

The ninja enemy is not bugged, he uses a puff of smoke to "teleport" somewhere else and keeps coming in your back. Yeah, they're very annoying.

Efe

Erudite
but he stopped coming back and beforehand wasnt hostile for a good 10 minutes standing in front of me. thats the bug.
i freed 2 lizards.. i cant go back where i came and nothing left to do. quest still not updated and says free and talk to lizard.
how do i increase level of spell?

Efe

Erudite
its really buggy...
died once jumping on a ledge and bouncing off an amphora.
and another time tried climbing a chain from floor.. should be zero risk right? smashed me right into the wall

but i guess its enjoyable as an underworld successor.

Efe

Erudite
am i bad at games i wonder...
searched high and low for a red orb like half an hour for a quest but it turns out the white glob i skipped as one of those floating wisps right in front of zone entrance was it...
lobar post me some dmg spell combinations. most of em dont accept targets. one DoTs plants. another poisons me...

i want a new spell because if i cast magic fist while walking forward.. i clip into it and it hits me.

Codex Year of the Donut

Max Heap

Arcane
i want a new spell because if i cast magic fist while walking forward.. i clip into it and it hits me.

"Working as intended cuz [ S Y S T E M S ] "

From experience I can tell you that playing a mage is the absolutely most miserable way to play UA.
Ironically since the rune combination system is actually the only thing the game has going for itself.
The self-poisoning spell has been the most useful spell in the game for me, since it got me out whenever I got stuck in the level geometry.

A word of advice: Just invest your skill points into double jump and wall run. Those are the only skills worth jack shit in that game and they'll let you skip (i.e. glitch across) a whole lotta garbage platforming sections.
Anything after Titans Reacharound becomes a mess if you don't have those.

Nyast

Cipher
am i bad at games i wonder...
searched high and low for a red orb like half an hour for a quest but it turns out the white glob i skipped as one of those floating wisps right in front of zone entrance was it...
lobar post me some dmg spell combinations. most of em dont accept targets. one DoTs plants. another poisons me...

IIRC there are 3 attack spells in the game and they all suck. The harm person spell, the magic fist thingy you get at the start and the shock projectile. The shock projectile iirc is like level 3 or 4 so you need a specialized mage to use it, and it's only slightly better than the magic fist. It suffers from the same problems too ( long casting time, slow moving projectile, and you can hit yourself while casting... ). There's a spell to create a floating fire ball, but it's a physical object ( you have to throw it ) and it does not cause damage to enemies AFAIK. It's used to burn wood when there's no nearby fire source.

Some of the utility spells are useful, especially the movement ones. There's a teleport spell and one which you can use to jump on like an invisible floating platform. There's also the feather one that lets you fall much more slowly. They have occasional uses. In my run, the spell I used the most was self healing.

Efe

Erudite
i found 3-4 movement spells. none of them seems to be doing shit except one is blurring vision a lot

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I just want them to make it long enough to ship me my very expensive physical goods. Still haven't played the game. I will once all patches are done.

Nyast

Cipher
Patches are done, this is as good as it'll ever get. Besides minor patches like fixing a typo somewhere, of course.

Glic2000

Educated
LOL. Yeah, still waiting for my physical goods. Thankfully I only ordered the boxed copy I think. I guess I'll put it on my shelf as a sort of talisman to ward me off from purchasing any more Kickstarter video games.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
LOL. Yeah, still waiting for my physical goods. Thankfully I only ordered the boxed copy I think. I guess I'll put it on my shelf as a sort of talisman to ward me off from purchasing any more Kickstarter video games.

With mine, I will craft the most epic meme video, ending in burning it along with my unopened KS collectors edition of ToN.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
ending in burning it
I have a better idea.

Make a nice package for it. Preferably something that will take hours to unpack even with tools.

Then gift it to the person you hate and request them to open it right now.

It'll be a much better way to provide entertainment to yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom