Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship combat demo micro-update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7768.msg155945.html#msg155945

Any more updates on their way ?
panic.gif

Yes. I don't want to post the same screens over and over again (while we're waiting for Ivan to finish the animations) and the GUI tweaks and changes we're working on in the meantime aren't quite ready yet.

Thanks
approve.png

Any thoughts on other design topics ?

Nothing at the moment. The combat and relevant character mechanics have been finalized and implemented. The four main outstanding items are animations, GUI, armor, and portraits.

Animations - hopefully 4-6 weeks of work
GUI - we have all the placeholders in place so it's not something that would delay the release; some changes require programming work like adding more data and customization.
Armor - vests, helmets, leg armor, gas masks are done, quite a few items there. The goggles are almost done. Jackets/coats aren't done yet as Ivan needs to fit them properly over all vests.
Portraits - only 6 portraits left to go for the enemy combatants; then we'll switch to the PC portraits, experimenting with variations now:

T3ay4dl.jpg
AXzxkND.jpg
uxuXe9q.jpg
PmoLzDZ.jpg

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7768.msg155953.html#msg155953

Random thoughts on the armor system:

1) We don't have 'traditional' armor with shoulder pads and arm guards (and we don't want to take this route) so without jackets and coats, everyone will be wearing different tactical vests. While we do have a good variety of vests and different designs, this setup does call for jackets, which is logical and realistic. It also creates a very distinctive look lacking in many games.

2) So far we don't have any clipping issues (we have one jacket and one trenchcoat the Chief Justice is wearing that worked with the first 4 vests we had; we did to test if it would work)

https://i.imgur.com/7jb9JH3.png
^ you can see both here

https://storage04.dropshots.com/photos7000/photos/1181160/20180129/x_173707.jpg
^ or here

I'd say it looks pretty good and that's just the rough model with minimum details and 'upgrades'.

3) Balancing isn't a problem as the system's been designed for two-piece body armor from day one, so it's not something we added last min. Yes, there's no reason NOT to wear a jacket or coat as it increases your armor, but there's no way around it, unfortunately.

4) It will take more time to implement it but I believe the end result will be worth the wait.

Not even defence penalty? Or encumbrance limit? IMHO, AoD could be more balanced with lesser encumbrance limit and disappearance of trophies when leaving populated locations (all valuables was taken by omnipresent beggars).

There are penalties (AP, evasion, sneaking) but like in AoD light jackets have no or low penalties.

Additional quick access slots aka unloading vests?

We'd rather not tie the number of belt bags to armor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7768.msg155979.html#msg155979

Just one more question. Is there any exoskeleton?

We had plans, mechanics, and concept art but no model yet so it's on the back burner for now. Considering that it will most likely require unique animations, the chances are quite low. Essentially, it would be a very time-consuming way to boost your character's strength. There are simpler ways to do that (implants, stims).

Also, new thread: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7772.0.html

I have posted the same suggestion in the AoW: Planetfall forum, because i think that both games should have the following Red Fog mechanic:
- The to-hit chance is reduced by 0.25 per 1 % below the maximum hit points
- The graze chance is increased by 0.25 per 1 % below the maximum hit points

Example 1:
Regular to-hit: 60 %, regular graze: 15 %, regular miss: 25 %, hit points: 25 of 50
>>> modified to-hit: 48 %, modified graze: 27 %, modified miss: 25 %

Example 2:
Regular to-hit: 40 %, regular graze: 10 %, regular miss: 50 %, hit points: 5 of 50
>>> modified to-hit: 18 %, modified graze: 32 %, modified miss: 50 %

I've always wanted to do something like that (as it seems silly that a man with 1HP left can fight as well as a man completely unscathed) but I fear that it will only encourage reloading upon taking too much damage. Still it's worth considering.

Balancing *will* be a problem, requiring a lot more time and playtesting, that's for sure. This design *will* encourage reloading and we don't want to restrict reloading in any way. XP boost might lead to even more save-scumming (try to end the fight with as few HP as possible, if die, reload) - players will rejoice at this new and exciting way to mine XP, but will most likely end up hating the subconscious need to do it

The biggest problem here is that our combat is challenging by default, so any penalty you take on top of all the other penalties we already have (grenade and attack effects) can easily turn challenging into impossible. I do like this suggestion but it seems it would be more suitable for a game where the default combat isn't very hard (like Fallout, for example) but the wounds and other negative effects (cold, hungry, ill, etc) make it much more challenging. It would be tempting to try it but I'm afraid to make such changes in the middle of development.

We can consider doing an optional 'survival' mode and add all the fun features we can think of, but it's too early to tell. Still, the idea itself is a good one and the trade off (lower hit - higher graze) fits our design perfectly. Thank you, Master Wizard.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I've always wanted to do something like that (as it seems silly that a man with 1HP left can fight as well as a man completely unscathed) but I fear that it will only encourage reloading upon taking too much damage. Still it's worth considering.

Banner Saga did something similar (reduced HP affecting damage), how did you like it ?
I think it's an interesting idea in theory but a terrible one if applied to a cRPG.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I think this mechanic was the most interesting thing about BS combat. It would have been dreadfully boring without it but the implementation was too simplistic (because the combat system was). Conceptually it's not that different from negative status effects like penalties to stats, action points, bleeding, poison, etc, yet nobody complains about that.

Neanderthal

Arcane
It worked in Betrayal at Krondor, though admittedly combat could become a triviality halfway through chapter one, and made the player a lot more aware of his character states rather than just running on zombie mode.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7750.msg156046.html#msg156046

Vault Dweller said:
I have a minor suggestion about the Faction Standing section of the Character Screen. The screenshot features 4 factions with 'Neutral' reputation. I presume that later in the game it may change to something like "Disliked"-"Shunned"-"Hated" or "Accepted"-"Liked"-"Idolized", like in Fallout series.
Here is what struck me: maybe reputation titles (except for "Neutral") should be different for each faction? Sounds original, but the idea conflicts with RPG canon. Still, it'll be a nice little detail, if done properly. I didn't read any game lore so far, so I can't come up with any titles myself. Well, "Heretic" seems like a good one for negative Church reputation, for example.
Is the idea weird or it can be implemented?

The idea is good but the reputation ranks are low on my priority list (busy with more pressing tasks), so if you (or anyone else) is feeling creative and wants to contribute, we'd certainly appreciate that.

Reputation goes from -20 to 20. Negative 1 to 9 - you're being a pest. You're consistently acting against them and they start taking notice. Negative 10 to 14 - congrats, you've become a problem. Negative 15 to 19 - you're more than a problem, you're an enemy. Negative 20 - terminate with extreme prejudice. Positive values are the other way around: supporter, friend, ally, etc.

Words like Disliked, Hated, Accepted, and such don't really work. A small community (like the ones in Fallout) may accept, dislike, or even idolize a newcomer but powerful factions would have a different relationship with individuals.

Scott Hamm said:
Protectors
Friend - Associate - Tolerable - Neutral - Censure - Arrest - Terminate

Brotherhood
Brother - Comrade - Hangaround - Neutral - Nuisance - Headache - Enemy of Freedom

Church
Acolyte - Adherent - Believer - Neutral - Skeptic - Apostate - Burn the Heretic!

Covenant
Honorary Mutant - Deformed - Outcast - Neutral - Threat - Target - Priority

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom