Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gamedec is an upcoming isometric cyberpunk RPG from Poland where you play a virtual world detective

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Anshar Studios; Gamedec

Has Poland quietly turned into an isometric RPG powerhouse? We had Seven from Fool's Theory, Tower of Time and the upcoming Dark Envoy from Event Horizon, and now we've got Gamedec from Anshar Studios (a developer we'd never have heard of if they hadn't recently assisted Larian with creating some Divinity: Original Sin 2 free DLC). Gamedec is an "adaptive cyberpunk isometric RPG" based on a long-running series of Polish novels by one Marcin Przybyłek. It's set in 22th century Warsaw City, where much of the population now spend their lives inhabiting MMO-like virtual worlds. The detectives who deal with the unique crimes committed in these virtual realities are called Gamedecs, and you play as one of them. Here's the announcement trailer and press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – August 8th, Katowice, Poland.

It’s Warsaw City in the 22nd century, and thanks to the existence of virtual worlds, "reality" is a relative concept, and "life" and "death" have many meanings. New worlds, however, give rise to new problems. Desire, jealousy, greed, and lust for power are ever present. Many things have changed, but human nature is not one of them. That’s why society in the 22nd century needs Gamedecs – detectives who handle frauds, crimes, and conspiracies committed in virtual worlds. Child slavery in F2P games, the suicide of a professional player – cases like that are what they deal with on a daily basis. In the new Anshar Studios game, the player becomes one of these detectives.

Watch the Gamedec Announcement Trailer HERE to see what awaits you in this futuristic and dystopian world.

You can already add the game to your Steam Wishlist (https://store.steampowered.com/app/917720/Gamedec/), not to miss any updates on its ongoing development.

A special, early version of the game will be premiered at Gamescom, while at PAX West in Seattle, a game demo will be made available to guests of the event. And if you’re heading to Cologne and would like to check out a hands-off demo at Gamescom, you’ll be able to meet the developers in the Business Area, Hall 4.1, Booth A-071G (Indie Games Poland).

In Gamedec, decisions are important, and the game world constantly adapts to them and to the hero, who changes as the story progresses. The consequences of choices made, like in “real” life, can be immediate, long-term, or hidden - the latter most often surfacing at unexpected moments. Regardless of the decisions made, however, the game always remains neutral towards them. It’s up to the player to evaluate them, bearing in mind the saying “you are the sum of your choices.”

The studio’s new game returns to the foundations of the RPG genre by adding Deduction, Codex, and Aspects mechanics to allow for complex discussions, as the players create or expose networks of intrigues and conspiracies, while discovering unusual relationships between virtual worlds. Gamedec’s paper-based RPG mechanics give players the freedom to approach things from multiple perspectives, rather than finding a single solution - the choice is ultimately theirs.

Gamedec is currently under development. The game is planned to be released in 2020.

More information about the game can be found on the game’s official website.

You may have noticed that the press release carefully avoids any mention of the game's combat system. Anshar's community manager isn't talking either. Some people have suggested that perhaps it doesn't have a combat system, like Disco Elysium. Well, we'll find out soon enough.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Interesting premise in the vein of Demiurgos and Disco Elysium ruined by a disgustingly derivative look...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good to see enterprising Polish devs going for the smart cash-in on Cyberpunk's 2077 popularity. :salute: Even the music is similar. Though to be fair, this franchise has been developed for a while, there is a GameDec board game for example.

Anyway, I won't say no to a sci-fi detective story, so let us hope it is good.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The premise of visiting various worlds, isometric camera and a tad of mindfuckery gave me Sanitarium vibes for whatever reason. I think I'll be happy with this game even if it has barely any character development and inventory management.

A fun twist would be to enable player to develop his avatar in each of the virtual worlds depending on systems ruling it.

Matt [Anshar Studios]

Anshar Studios
Developer
Hi guys, I'm Matt from Anshar Studios. I want to target the statement that this game is just out here because of the boom for Cyberpunk. We've been working closely with Marcin Przybyłek [the author of the books] for some time. We decided to start this project, not because of the boom, but because we believe there is still room for isometric RPGs within a universe never portrayed before. We understand the desire for direct comparison, but our and CDP Red's games reach for a different source and deal with different topics.

We want to cover the topic of virtual reality, which became a second life [think about Ready Player One, but uglier, nastier, more brutal]. Here's an example I came out with just now: imagine a CEO, who likes to kick animals in the VR on a dark web server. You know he's insane and violent, you may hear he mistreats his employees, would you expose him to the press or blackmail him with the info you dug up? Or maybe an employee hired you to reveal his true nature? What he does in VR may have an impact in the real world and the other way around. Unfaithful spouse in one of may erotic games?

There's more in the lore than you may think :)

Max Edge

First book was mediocre. Every next was Electric Boogaloo and Electric Boogalooer.

Matt [Anshar Studios]

Anshar Studios
Developer
Warsaw City has been created in the mind of Marcin Przybyłek - we adapt it from the books to build a game world. The game takes place in the XXII century, so the nowadays knowledge of the city is not applicable.

Matt [Anshar Studios]

Anshar Studios
Developer
To be honest, we have thought about including community to our game, but we still have a lot going on. But the idea is excellent and we will definitely look into it. We will discuss it and pass it to the team :)

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Here's an example I came out with just now: imagine a CEO, who likes to kick animals in the VR on a dark web server. You know he's insane and violent, you may hear he mistreats his employees, would you expose him to the press or blackmail him with the info you dug up?
Imagine being "insane and violent" with access to lifelike VR and all you use it for is to simulate kicking animals XDD

jac8awol

Arbiter
Hi guys, I'm Matt from Anshar Studios. I want to target the statement that this game is just out here because of the boom for Cyberpunk. We've been working closely with Marcin Przybyłek [the author of the books] for some time. We decided to start this project, not because of the boom, but because we believe there is still room for isometric RPGs within a universe never portrayed before. We understand the desire for direct comparison, but our and CDP Red's games reach for a different source and deal with different topics.

We want to cover the topic of virtual reality, which became a second life [think about Ready Player One, but uglier, nastier, more brutal]. Here's an example I came out with just now: imagine a CEO, who likes to kick animals in the VR on a dark web server. You know he's insane and violent, you may hear he mistreats his employees, would you expose him to the press or blackmail him with the info you dug up? Or maybe an employee hired you to reveal his true nature? What he does in VR may have an impact in the real world and the other way around. Unfaithful spouse in one of may erotic games?

There's more in the lore than you may think :)

I think you need a better example than that. A guy that kicks animals in VR? I kill people in video games all the time, does it mean I'm insane and violent? Or rather, what's illegal about doing things in VR? I'm interested in this game, waiting to hear more.

Matt [Anshar Studios]

Anshar Studios
Developer
I think you need a better example than that. A guy that kicks animals in VR?

Maybe you're right, but I don't want to get too creative, because I might end up spoiling something :D Let's think about another example, this time from the "other side". You have a MMO clan, your leader and his deputy are having a violent dispute about how to lead the group. They end up arguing pretty badly and then, the CM is going offline. He's not responding to any of the forms of communication - your clan is confused, but they think it was related to the argument from the other day and that thedeputy simply killed the leader to lead the group. The group hires you and you do whatever you can to solve the case.

Have in mind, that I'm not a quest designer, and (fortunately), Marcin Przybyłek is consulting on the plot, characters and cases :)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Child labor inside the virtuaworld? That probably isnt too far from the truth.

GET BITMINING SLAVE!!!

zeitgeist

Magister
What exactly is the point of this being set in the 22th century? You can look up MMORPG related murders, and get a bunch of articles with more interesting examples that actually happened in real life, from a few years to more than 20 years ago. Gold farming sweatshops, including ones set up in prison labor camps, exist. Is it just for the aesthetics?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh, isn't it obviously cooler to go on an adventure inside a hyperreal virtual world than to investigate people hunched over their computers

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Uh, isn't it obviously cooler to go on an adventure inside a hyperreal virtual world than to investigate people hunched over their computers

Stephenson's Reamde was pretty fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom