Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Guilty Gear Thread - Xrd SIGN released on Steam

Machocruz

Arcane
And Capcom still thinks shitty Nerf models with goofy big hands and feet is the way to go for Street Figther.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I've always wanted to get into Arc's games, but there's definitely a huge learning cliff to get into it, and sadly when I finally decided to suck it up and just buy one (blaz continum shift extend) and get started it runs like absolute dogshit which makes a fighting game unplayable. I've got shit internet currently too so online (which is already frustrating full of dodgy connections) would be shit on my end far too often to be worth trying.
If you don't mind fucking around in singleplayer I'd reccomend +R, should run better than BB and is still ASW's best effort up to date.

Silentstorm

Learned

I'm not a fighting game aficionado, but after playing Guilty Gear and some of the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games, I don't get why games like SF or MK are the more poplular ones. They couldn't even hold a candle to GG neither in terms of style, mechanics and music.

They appeared first and are more simple than a lot of the newer franchises and games?

Really, Street Fighter 2 was the game that pratically introduced combos to the genre, and with it's fun cast it was a massive sucess and many people's first fighting game, Mortal Kombat was the first truly big western fighting game and one that used blood to sell itself before all other western developers tried to copy it.

By the time Guilty Gear and others appeared, other franchises already dominated the market and a lot of people are only interested in playing games with names they've heard of.

This happens for all kinds of fighting games, wrestling games are dominated by WWE games even though quite a few people prefer games like the Fire Pro Wrestling series, hell, that's the series that has Suda51, famous for No More Heroes and Visual Novels such as Shibuya Scramble, announcing he is working on the series just to make a story based DLC for the latest game.

Again, Fire Pro Wrestling is good enough to make people that worked on visual novels or action games be like "Yeah, you know what, i would love to work on that series" but it's overall much less known than WWE, it just happens, one or two franchises always overshadow everything else in all genres sadly.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Also ArcSys fighting games that aren't licensed properties are very, very, VERY Japanese. That's going to put off a lot of people as a kneejerk reaction due to culture shock. So you have a niche genre, combined with unapologetically unorthodox visual style, you end up with a much smaller audience irrespective of quality (heck quality is not correlative with populairty at all in the end).

And Capcom still thinks shitty Nerf models with goofy big hands and feet is the way to go for Street Figther.

The next one will probably be in RE engine and look better than DMC5.

Capcom's approach to Street Fighter has been utterly bizarre since Street Fighter 4. That game was meant to be a return to SF2, but the characters in SF2 are the least exaggerated they ever looked, characters bleed and vomit from hits, and the loss portrait implies characters actually take damage during fights...but SF4 (and 5) have basically been the totally opposite of that.

I'd definitely expect Capcom's approach to Street Fighter to change now that Monster Hunter World producer Ryozo Tsujimoto is running the fighting game devision, on top of the news Capcom is going to be doing more in-house.

They appeared first and are more simple than a lot of the newer franchises and games?

Really, Street Fighter 2 was the game that pratically introduced combos to the genre, and with it's fun cast it was a massive sucess and many people's first fighting game, Mortal Kombat was the first truly big western fighting game and one that used blood to sell itself before all other western developers tried to copy it.

By the time Guilty Gear and others appeared, other franchises already dominated the market and a lot of people are only interested in playing games with names they've heard of.

This happens for all kinds of fighting games, wrestling games are dominated by WWE games even though quite a few people prefer games like the Fire Pro Wrestling series, hell, that's the series that has Suda51, famous for No More Heroes and Visual Novels such as Shibuya Scramble, announcing he is working on the series just to make a story based DLC for the latest game.

Again, Fire Pro Wrestling is good enough to make people that worked on visual novels or action games be like "Yeah, you know what, i would love to work on that series" but it's overall much less known than WWE, it just happens, one or two franchises always overshadow everything else in all genres sadly.

While liked, the Guilty Gear games also didn't really become popular until Xrd either. Funny thing about how big of a deal was made of the animation in Xrd, (which are great) is when they were actual 2D sprites I remember seeing a lot of bitching from fighting game fans about the animations in Guilty Gear X2 #Reload and Fist of the North Star not being as fluent as Capcom & SNK stuff. On top of that sprites in general were niche basically the whole lifespan of 2D Guilty Gear, as were 2D fighting games.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, it was true in that time. The yardstick in terms of sprite animation then was Street Fighter 3 (which still has some of the best sprite graphics ever made, you look at the detail put into Ryu's hadouken or fierce joudan animation and it's a work of art), and by contrast due to necessary corners to cut the GG games while having larger sprites did have fewer frames of animation and often the frames themselves were less detailed (there's nowhere near similar display of effects of motion like Ryu's gi was given in SF3), and often lacked a snappy sense of impact (SNK was at this time at a pretty ghetto level of production, but their NeoGeo sprites still had snappy animation frames, and Last Blade games in particular had relatively high frame count).

Silentstorm

Learned
While liked, the Guilty Gear games also didn't really become popular until Xrd either. Funny thing about how big of a deal was made of the animation in Xrd, (which are great) is when they were actual 2D sprites I remember seeing a lot of bitching from fighting game fans about the animations in Guilty Gear X2 #Reload and Fist of the North Star not being as fluent as Capcom & SNK stuff. On top of that sprites in general were niche basically the whole lifespan of 2D Guilty Gear, as were 2D fighting games.
No joke, i would love to see a new Hokuto No Ken fighting game, though i guess the problem with the source material is that a lot of characters don't live long or don't do a lot of varied moves with Kenshiro getting a lot of screentime.

Still, that game didn't have Hokuto No Ken 2 characters, which yes, is worse than the original, nor it had characters from Fist Of The Blue Sky, which, granted, is just a prequel set in the 1930's following a previous master of Hokuto Shinken, the guy who taught the master of Kenshiro, Raoh and Toki, as he goes on his adventures and faces many martial arts that seem to be gone in the future.

Like, there were variants of Hokuto Shinken from when former masters or students decided to focus Hokuto Shinken on one aspect and ran away, and at least one style that is basically a complete fusion of Hokuto Ryuken and Nanto Seiken, with the style attacking pressure points while ripping people to pieces...hello, Arc System, that's freaking awesome!

Where's the Hokuto No Ken fighting game that has characters that weren't just around till Raoh dies?

Well, it was true in that time. The yardstick in terms of sprite animation then was Street Fighter 3 (which still has some of the best sprite graphics ever made, you look at the detail put into Ryu's hadouken or fierce joudan animation and it's a work of art), and by contrast due to necessary corners to cut the GG games while having larger sprites did have fewer frames of animation and often the frames themselves were less detailed (there's nowhere near similar display of effects of motion like Ryu's gi was given in SF3), and often lacked a snappy sense of impact (SNK was at this time at a pretty ghetto level of production, but their NeoGeo sprites still had snappy animation frames, and Last Blade games in particular had relatively high frame count).

Oh yeah, Guilty Gear and Fist of the North Star didn't have the kind of animation the Capcom stuff did; although just the look of the sprites themselves was great. I'm just saying that even in the niche genre that was 2D fighting games in the 2000s you had people within that niche that just kind of rejected those games out of hand because of the animation. It was a niche in a niche.

No joke, i would love to see a new Hokuto No Ken fighting game, though i guess the problem with the source material is that a lot of characters don't live long or don't do a lot of varied moves with Kenshiro getting a lot of screentime.

Still, that game didn't have Hokuto No Ken 2 characters, which yes, is worse than the original, nor it had characters from Fist Of The Blue Sky, which, granted, is just a prequel set in the 1930's following a previous master of Hokuto Shinken, the guy who taught the master of Kenshiro, Raoh and Toki, as he goes on his adventures and faces many martial arts that seem to be gone in the future.

Like, there were variants of Hokuto Shinken from when former masters or students decided to focus Hokuto Shinken on one aspect and ran away, and at least one style that is basically a complete fusion of Hokuto Ryuken and Nanto Seiken, with the style attacking pressure points while ripping people to pieces...hello, Arc System, that's freaking awesome!

Where's the Hokuto No Ken fighting game that has characters that weren't just around till Raoh dies?

I wouldn't be surprised if Arc System Works' follow-up to Dragon Ball FighterZ is some kind of Jump crossover, in which case I'd expect at least a one or two Fist of the North Star characters. The game seems to have done well, it's probably the most well regarded of the Dragon Ball or Jump games, (some I'm sure Bandai Namco is interested in more) and there's not really much else they can go with Dragon Ball...GT Goku feels like some weird rejection of the pre-Z DB era.

It'd be nice if a Jump crossover was all of Jump for a change and not just Weekly Shōnen; I mean Battle Angel Alita, Mad Bull 34, Riki-Oh, and Golden Boy are all technically Jump. But that's probably never going to happen...even with Alita having a big movie now.

Vaarna_Aarne

I don't think there'd be any interest in adapting Riki-Oh among corporate. And by adapt, I meant adapt the film with its English dub, since nobody could give a flying fuck about the manga and anime adaptation. But even if they wanted to, I just don't think you CAN translate the glory of the film to another format. There is something magical about the process in which Lam Nam Choi made films, everything is just right there for a regular good movie, but then everything goes batshit insane at some step in the most amazing ways possible.

Silentstorm

Learned
God, an actual Jump 2D fighter would be amazing, particularly if it's not some party game crap and it's made by a developer like Arc-System, and man, there are a lot of series i would love to see represented, too bad i can see some series getting three to four characters(if not more) while some good series with lots of fighters only get one or two.

Well, they could definitely pump out DLC characters for an Arc System Jump fighting game all generation long if it does happen. I'd imagine a roster would be somewhere between who's in J-Stars and the Jump Force game, with stuff like Dr. Stone, My Hero Academia, maybe One Punch Man and like Chainsaw Man or something being there, probably whatever JoJo arc just finished in the anime around when it started development...I don't really know what's big in current Jump in Japan. Surely a DBFZ follow-up with Arc System Works is going to happen, and I can't really see it being anything other than Jump beside maybe One Piece, or DB VS OP. But if you're going to do a crossover game you may as well just do Jump given all the options it give you for DLC later down the line.

Silentstorm

Learned
Honestly, i just want some Kinnikuman love, give me Kinnikuman and Akuma Shogun and i won't mind if every other character is an obvious one.

I mean, Kinnikuman is older than Hokuto No Ken and Dragon Ball, and had tournament arcs and power levels before Dragon Ball, to the point that when Goku was fighting Master Roshi in disguise, Kinnikuman was fighting a villain with a power level of 10 million who got that power by killing 1000 warriors on a deal made with the literal Satan and thus has 1000 scars with each representing a murder and then all the scars can somehow move to form the face of Satan in case Satan wants to control the villain.

...It's just one of their bery first Shounen series and it's crazy and awesome, and it's popular in Japan, you'd think that series would at least appear once in a crossover game.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
New May design sucks.
yes.png

Yup, Sol looks a lot better than Xrd but this May is blergh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom