Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That is a epic level divine caster, older than a few hundred years. Of course she has magical defenses better than armor +5 and that simple shit. Your summons should be missing that kind of enemy like crazy. Summons don't have that great attack bonus and your buffs are not applied on them.

I agree that missing is expected against her.. Only an minor correction. On Pathfinder, witches are arcane casters, similar to D&D 5e warlock, with an patron that teaches him, in a relationship of master/apprendice
Direct from d20pfsrd "A witch casts arcane spells" http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/

ArchAngel

Arcane
That is a epic level divine caster, older than a few hundred years. Of course she has magical defenses better than armor +5 and that simple shit. Your summons should be missing that kind of enemy like crazy. Summons don't have that great attack bonus and your buffs are not applied on them.

I agree that missing is expected against her.. Only an minor correction. On Pathfinder, witches are arcane casters, similar to D&D 5e warlock, with an patron that teaches him, in a relationship of master/apprendice
Direct from d20pfsrd "A witch casts arcane spells" http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/
She is not a Witch class, she is a cleric. Witch is just her name because of her looks.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, just Swen looking for excuse to make popamole shit.
Still failing to see how D:OS 2 is popamole.
Who is talking about D:OS 2?
The implication is that no missing = popamole, which Swen with his latest game proved isn't necessarily the case.
"Popamole" as in "requiring a minimum amount of thinking". It's total garbage if you prefer a more figurative term.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know about popamole but every system in D:OS2 is shit and I can't bring myself to ever get past act 2 in it.
This is true.

This:
D:OS 2 doesn't require thought.
is rubbish. D:OS 2 is very tactical and proper decision-making is the difference between horrible defeat and flawless victory in pretty much every single encounter, much more so than in many good combat-centric CRPGs.

Edit:
Serious question: did you find D:OS 2 to be so easy as not to require any thought? I'm very impressed. I thought it was one of the hardest modern CRPGs.

Edit edit:
For those who have trouble reading properly: I DON'T LIKE D:OS 2.

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I don't know about popamole but every system in D:OS2 is shit and I can't bring myself to ever get past act 2 in it.
This is true.

This:
D:OS 2 doesn't require thought.
is rubbish. D:OS 2 is very tactical and proper decision-making is the difference between horrible defeat and flawless victory in pretty much every single encounter, much more so than in many good combat-centric CRPGs.
D:OS 2 is pretty divisive.
Will play soon
:updatedmytxt:

DeepOcean

Arcane
its very tactical except nothing tactical works until you take %50 off their hp off
amazing design
"We need large DPS to take those defenses so we can be tactical... eh... if we already managed to take out half their health, why not just go all the way and take out the other half and forget about this tactical non-sense?"

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah, it divides those looking for good games from those who are willing to compromise with shit combat and nonexistent story and setting.

I agree about the combat but story and settings are far from being the problem here, i can live with the story and the settings, but HP bloat + double armor blocking status effects + skill's CD + retarded itemization makes it hard to enjoy.
Not even talking about the fight revolving only around cascade elemental combos due to not being able to incapacitate enemies before the fight is over.

The elemental thing is almost a good idea but the combat revolves too much around it and it's extremely boring extremely fast.

And then, there's the traps ...

It's a real waste of potential, could have been a good, solid cRPG but it's just a mediocre game you can play if you don't have anything better to waste your time on.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
e, i can live with the story and the settings, but HP bloat + double armor blocking status effects + skill's CD + retarded itemization makes it hard to enjoy.
Not even talking about the fight revolving only around cascade elemental combos due to not being able to incapacitate enemies before the fight is over.

I strongly agree. Other problem is the bow range. 13m. Come on, i own a 175lbf crossbow and can hit targets much smaller than humans at 50m. The idea of someone who practiced as if his life depends on it being unable to hit an huge creature at 14m is so silly...

Codex Year of the Donut
e, i can live with the story and the settings, but HP bloat + double armor blocking status effects + skill's CD + retarded itemization makes it hard to enjoy.

I strongly agree. Other problem is the bow range. 13m. Come on, i own a 175lbf crossbow and can hit targets much smaller than humans at 50m. The idea of someone who practiced as if his life depends on it being unable to hit an huge creature at 14m is so silly...
I think you'd like the new xcom games

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it divides those looking for good games from those who are willing to compromise with shit combat and nonexistent story and setting.

I agree about the combat but story and settings are far from being the problem here, i can live with the story and the settings, but HP bloat + double armor blocking status effects + skill's CD + retarded itemization makes it hard to enjoy.

The elemental thing is almost a good idea but the combat revolves too much around it and it's extremely boring extremely fast.

And then, there's the traps ...

It's a real waste of potential, could have been a good, solid cRPG but it's just a mediocre game you can play if you don't have anything better to waste your time on.
There is a codex review of the game, and it's pretty accurate.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Also D&D Beyond has been posting a series of sample encounters that leads to Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. If you're interested: https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/536-encounter-of-the-week-a-break-at-boareskyr-bridge

A group of brave adventurers travel east through the wilderness, searching for the mighty Boareskyr Bridge. A pleasant surprise awaits them there: civilization! A small village of tents and lean-tos has grown around the north edge of the bridge, giving the characters a chance to rest and resupply before the next leg of their trip to Baldur’s Gate.

This week’s encounter is titled A Break at Boareskyr Bridge, but things are little bit different this week. The characters actually have a chance to spend a night or two in this settlement to recover, buy the services of mercenaries or torchbearers, and chat with NPCs before continuing on their journey. This encounter is part of the series “The Road to Baldur’s Gate,” in which a group of adventurers will travel down the Sword Coast over road and wilderness, from the gates of Waterdeep to the threshold of Baldur’s Gate. You may use this series as an introduction to the upcoming D&D storyline Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus, as an expansion to the caravan sequence in the first D&D storyline adventure, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, or piecemeal as standalone encounters.

You can keep track of this journey on this massive map of the Sword Coast, originally presented in the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide. The trip from Waterdeep to Baldur’s Gate covers about 750 miles of both road and off-road wilderness. A small party on horseback can cover about 24 miles per day at a casual pace, with just under two days off for rest per tenday of travel. All in all, this journey takes just over a month to complete for a small party of adventurers—assuming they’re well-prepared and no serious complications arise. And note, not every day of travel needs to be represented by an encounter; the characters may go for days with only minor encounters with passing merchants or travelers.

This is the seventh encounter along this journey. The previous encounters are:
  1. The Road to Baldur’s Gate
  2. Devil in the Details
  3. Danger in Daggerford
  4. Misty Marauders
  5. Detour Past Dragonspear
  6. Trollclaw Terrors

This thing is going on, this is 10th: https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/548-encounter-of-the-week-raiders-of-the-reaching

Darth Canoli

Arcane

I agree but it doesn't shock me, i can live with it for mechanism sake, in most games, archers are underwhelming but they can be quite deadly in DOS2 so if they add a better range, they would just be overpowered.

As for real archers, i practiced a bit and i'm a skilled archer, as a kid, i'd make my own bow out of hazel nut wood with a regular string (not a bow string) and i could easily hit a thin tree trunk 20+ meters away. (handcrafted arrows as well)
So if a 5 years old can do that with a wonky bow ...

Still, reality isn't necessary in a cRPG, gameplay prevails and in this case, it's either that or you'd have to lower archers damage.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I agree but it doesn't shock me, i can live with it for mechanism sake, in most games, archers are underwhelming but they can be quite deadly in DOS2 so if they add a better range, they would just be overpowered.

Better range IMO is just "not the same range of a NERF toy gun" and again. Everything that the PC can use, an NPC can use, so it will not trivialize the game. Archers are a disappointment in 99%+ of games, including DOS2. First. Why they are often small, skinny weaklings? An Mary Rose Warbow or an mongol bow require an insane amount of strength. And crossbows, as you can see, here an guy managed to hit an target at 680 yards. Note that even on D&D, this would't be possible at level 20, since the long range is 400 ft + 40 ft / level....

Vrab

Learned
I'm sure being hit by arrows from multiple screens away would be fun.

Isometric games will have ranges shortened in order to be combined with view distances and what not. This rightfully trumps any realism demands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom