Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Squid

Arbiter
Well, people are stupid and Destiny 2 is bad.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
loudmouthed morons crying
Bro, look at... oh... I dunno... every single one of your posts on Codex. You come off as a petulant child absolutely fixated on this moronic issue of game ownership. We're talking about fucking video games, son. Things that people typically pay around $50 for at most. Quite often far far FAR less in the days of digital distribution (think I paid about $5ish each for Dishonored 2 and Prey).

Since you seem to be about sixteen, let me explain to you the reality of the 80's and 90's. Most people would buy physical games and then probably lose them in about five or six years. Very few people had this collecting fetish for boxed copies. I can go back now and find games I [lol rented] on Steam from a decade ago. Back in the 90's I (and most other normal people) would probably have long since lost physical copies of games we had bought ten years prior. Never mind the fact that if, for some reason, Steam imploded; we live in the internet age where you can 'locate' another digital copy of the game elsewhere.

You are the Codex's gibbering homeless guy standing on a corner ranting about the dangers of flouride in the drinking water. Time to seek help.

100%, just to add something:

You know what many kids did after buying a game? They destroyed the carton immediately & just took the module & manual home.
Next to nobody gave a fuck about boxes, thats why today some boxes are worth more than the games themself.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Them being better depends on what you are looking for. For example, if you want DRM-free games then games are automatically better on GOG. If you want Steam's features then they're better on Steam. If you want to give as much money as possible to the developers then games on Itch.io are better. Every platform has something that might appeal to people except Epic. This is why they are trying to force people to spend money on their store, they have no other way of attracting customers.

That post said a whole lot of nothing.

Steam is better. Better depends on what you're looking for. Herp derp.

PC games were rentals way before Steam, since the time of CD keys and online activations.

Online activation is not the same as a CD key.

A CD key is in no way renting. It is a form of DRM, but you don't depend on anyone else to be able to use it.

Stupid retarded shit.

I don't give a fuck what most people did or do. I'm well aware most people don't give a shit they're just renting games on Steam. And also most people are dumb sheeple.
But yeah, sure, most people do something so everyone should do it. Explain the reality to me. Fucking lol.

We're talking about fucking video games, son.

Fuck off, sheeple. I started playing games in the late 80s on a Spectrum clone. On the other hand, Steamtards here are mostly retarded newfags parroting the "steam is the savior of gaming" retarded shit, like that Black Angel cretin.

Never mind the fact that if, for some reason, Steam imploded; we live in the internet age where you can 'locate' another digital copy of the game elsewhere.

Right.. so buying on Steam is good because you can pirate the game if it goes down anyway. Wow, amazing stuff this Steam.

Well, I hope it all goes into streaming, just to see all the Steamtards first cry and then start defending and praising whichever streaming client has the "best features", just like the sheeple they are.

Turuko

Learned
why are you even entertaining the idea that if steam somehow files bankruptcy everything will vanish?
even Desura that was a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of steam kept up the lights for more than year
everybody will have plenty of time to build a shrine of hard disks with their games backup on :lol:

Irata

Scholar
With regards to how well games will sell on Steam that have already been out for a year as epic-exclusives, Destiny 2 is one of the global top sellers atm(along with being one of the most wishlisted games) and it's not out on Steam for another 2 months.
The game released on Activision's own platform nearly 2 years ago.

I believe the Steam release includes a new, unreleased expansion and isn't just the old game.

Sentinel

Arcane

A CD key is in no way renting. It is a form of DRM, but you don't depend on anyone else to be able to use it.
Are you too young to remember the time when PC games came with SecuROM DRM that limited the number of installs of the game you could do on your machine? It was such a huge fucking shitstorm, you're either too young or have alzheimers.

Codex Year of the Donut

Are you too young to remember the time when PC games came with SecuROM DRM that limited the number of installs of the game you could do on your machine? It was such a huge fucking shitstorm, you're either too young or have alzheimers.
He might be too young for that, but he's plenty old enough to remember when old DRM'd games flat out stopped working because Windows removed the functions they relied upon.

The Decline

Arcane
Bro, look at... oh... I dunno... every single one of your posts on Codex. You come off as a petulant child absolutely fixated on this moronic issue of game ownership. We're talking about fucking video games, son. Things that people typically pay around $50 for at most. Quite often far far FAR less in the days of digital distribution (think I paid about $5ish each for Dishonored 2 and Prey).

Since you seem to be about sixteen, let me explain to you the reality of the 80's and 90's. Most people would buy physical games and then probably lose them in about five or six years. Very few people had this collecting fetish for boxed copies. I can go back now and find games I [lol rented] on Steam from a decade ago. Back in the 90's I (and most other normal people) would probably have long since lost physical copies of games we had bought ten years prior. Never mind the fact that if, for some reason, Steam imploded; we live in the internet age where you can 'locate' another digital copy of the game elsewhere.

You are the Codex's gibbering homeless guy standing on a corner ranting about the dangers of flouride in the drinking water. Time to seek help.

You know what many kids did after buying a game? They destroyed the carton immediately & just took the module & manual home.
Next to nobody gave a fuck about boxes, thats why today some boxes are worth more than the games themself.

I'm still kicking myself for giving in to pressure and throwing away my game boxes after saving them for a decade. Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, and many others. :negative:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I was that kid :negative:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Meh,collecting boxes is a westerner's hobo thing. Tho i never had any boxes because i pirated shit all my life. Even the games i bought were from disc burners that sold them for euro or two. I don't get the box thing at all,it takes a lot of space,it is useless and you look like some nolifer weirdo to normal people.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You just scared other gypsies will steal your boxes.
:smug:
I am very white mate,thus "other" doesn't imply to me. Nah,i don't even know if we had boxed games here,there is a shop for such things now,but i don't remember when it came to be. Still nobody is wasting money on this,with that many pirate sites there is no need for buying it.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex

Meh,collecting boxes is a westerner's hobo thing. Tho i never had any boxes because i pirated shit all my life. Even the games i bought were from disc burners that sold them for euro or two. I don't get the box thing at all,it takes a lot of space,it is useless and you look like some nolifer weirdo to normal people.

Pirating shit before 2000 with shit interwebz was shit.... Most people where just lucky to know someone with a cd-burner.

And ofc there was no pirating N64 cartridges, or emulating it, there was only renting, paying a hobo to acquire it for you or risking the 10 finger rebate yourself.

V_K

Arcane
Pirating shit before 2000 with shit interwebz was shit.... Most people where just lucky to know someone with a cd-burner.
The concept of copyright was slow to catch on in post-Soviet countries, so you could have stores and kiosks openly selling counterfeit CDs well into mid-2000s. Those never came with boxes nor manuals, just jewel cases. Official boxed editions were really hard to find and cost a fortune.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The concept of copyright was slow to catch on in post-Soviet countries, so you could have stores and kiosks openly selling counterfeit CDs well into mid-2000s. Those never came with boxes nor manuals, just jewel cases. Official boxed editions were really hard to find and cost a fortune.

My main way of getting games in the early 00s was when a pal of mine who originally came from Romania returned to his home country during the summer holidays.
There, he'd buy dozens of games for cheap on burned CDs from local Romanian crackers.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
The father of one of my buddies was the groundskeeper at a different school, he sold pirated stuff, he had a room in the school with 5 or 6 pcs with multiple plextor burners each.

He sold PS1 games, PC games and Monats-CDs.

Monats-CDs where monthly CDs with ripped games, so you got multiple games on one CD (Sometimes they had to get rid of an Intro or Music but most of the time the games where 100% complete).

V_K

Arcane
The father of one of my buddies was the groundskeeper at a different school, he sold pirated stuff, he had a room in the school with 5 or 6 pcs with multiple plextor burners each.
Nah, I'm talking about much larger scale operations - those CDs were industrially printed, not burnt in the basement. There were whole companies making their business off producing "unofficial" localizations of English-language games.
I don't think we had CD burners widely available until early 2000s or something.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

And ofc there was no pirating N64 cartridges, or emulating it, there was only renting, paying a hobo to acquire it for you or risking the 10 finger rebate yourself.

nah mate, there was actually a cd rom attachment for N64 which played cracked games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_V64

ah, the bitter-sweet memories of waiting for hours (sometimes days if connection breaks) on a rom to download, and then saving it on floppy disks, and then running over to a friend who had a cd burner, and then of course some of the floppies would be corrupt, and then run back to save them again... but by god, that feeling when you finally boot it for the first time (single tear)

Last edited:

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
Nah, I'm talking about much larger scale operations - those CDs were industrially printed, not burnt in the basement. There were whole companies making their business off producing "unofficial" localizations of English-language games.
I don't think we had CD burners widely available until early 2000s or something.

I didnt say my buddies dad had anything to do with eastern euro operations.....

In the early 2000s we had polaks & russians selling dvds on fleah markets, either in cd cases or just a printed cover in some plastic.

nah mate, there was actually a cd rom attachment for N64 which played cracked games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_V64

Yeah, for all 3 guys that owned that. I knew atleas 20kids with N64, none had that.... 450$, you where lucky if you got 2 new games a year + 1-2 fleah market finds.
Thats why they all wanted a modded PS1.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I don't get the box thing at all,it takes a lot of space,it is useless and you look like some nolifer weirdo to normal people.

There's also nothing "useful" about collecting stamps, outdated coins, insects, etc.
People collect stuff because they like collecting stuff. It's a hobby.
Besides who the fuck cares what other people think.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, for all 3 guys that owned that. I knew atleas 20kids with N64, none had that.... 450$, you where lucky if you got 2 new games a year + 1-2 fleah market finds.
Thats why they all wanted a modded PS1.

a friend who owned a video game consoles playroom (those were all over the place back then, like internet caffes, but with cracked consoles instead, even now there are some for playstation 4, but i think with original games) had one - when we weren't playing multiplayer titles together all day (had 4 gamepads), then some of us would rent it home for singleplayer games, hardly anyone else got to try it out because of us, hehe

Codex Year of the Donut
I've lost pretty much everything I had as a child, purchased a few unopened copies of games on ebay for nostalgia purposes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom