Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
Make suggestions what game you'd like me to mod next.

Revision getting that much exposure is worse than anything that happens in Deus Ex.

Revision worse than Bob Page and attempted world domination confirmed.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One thing that makes playing Iron Man almost impossible are those BS PS20 guns, that instakills you.

BTW, is there any way to increase inventory space?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how does the Environmental Protection augmentation work together with the Hazmat Suit?
Do they combine or is the larger number used?

Sidrian

Novice
I know about this mod, but it doesn't go far enough. Besides obvious balance issues there is a bigger problem of very boring late game content which must be addressed in order to improve Prey replayability. I liked the game a lot, but don't feel like going through killing same ten thousand little mimics, thousand human-sized mimics and a hundred of very-big-and-angry mimics. I'm not sure that such mod can be developed by Ash alone though.

RoSoDude

Arcane
BTW, is there any way to increase inventory space?
No. Heavy Weapons are already smaller than they were in vanilla (3x2 instead of 4x2). Master Skill may reduce their size even further if it hasn't been reverted in v9.x.
Reverted in v9 onward.

So how does the Environmental Protection augmentation work together with the Hazmat Suit?
Do they combine or is the larger number used?
They stack multiplicatively; Hazmat Suit reduces by 60% and Environmental Resistance reduces the remainder by another 30/45/60/80% for a total reduction of 72/78/84/92%.

I know about this mod, but it doesn't go far enough. Besides obvious balance issues there is a bigger problem of very boring late game content which must be addressed in order to improve Prey replayability. I liked the game a lot, but don't feel like going through killing same ten thousand little mimics, thousand human-sized mimics and a hundred of very-big-and-angry mimics. I'm not sure that such mod can be developed by Ash alone though.
I wholly agree, but unfortunately the modding tools for Prey are currently very limited. Some other Prey modders recently discovered that some of the game assets can be loaded into the CryEngine Editor, but the script files remain encrypted and uneditable, which breaks our ability to change or even view much in the editor without crashing. More might be possible with text edits than previously thought -- there's been some success in porting over Mooncrash assets to the base game, and apparently someone was able to nearly cobble together a flamethrower weapon using the Engineering Operator's welding torch attack, but you can see we're still just working by copypasting references to existing scripts. Prey needs more weapons, more enemies, and more thoughtful level and encounter design towards the end, and there are other major structural changes I'd like to have seen (e.g. the game should have opened up and turned nonlinear after the Arboretum, psychoscope should be available earlier). Maybe this stuff will become possible tin time, but there's a reason CORE BALANCE was as limited in scope as it was.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
GOG just had both: Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition and Deus Ex 2: Invisible War for cheap. Is it recommended to mod patch the GOTY edition or just vanilla it first?

GOG just had both: Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition and Deus Ex 2: Invisible War for cheap. Is it recommended to mod patch the GOTY edition or just vanilla it first?

Respect the game's original design! I always play unpatched and unmodded first and then move up incrementally with each subsequent playthrough to better cultivate an appreciation for the genius vision of oldskool devs. So for instance, my first playthrough would be of unpatched Deus Ex, then I would install the 1.014 patch and play through the game with that, then I would finally install the GOTY patch for the third playthrough, and in two dozen playthroughs I can finally get to playing to the game patched with the GMDX mod but goddamn, sister, it will be worth it.

deama

Prophet
Hey so I was thinking of doing another playthrough of deus ex and stumbled upon this mod. Now, originally I played through deus ex vanilla, so what should I expect from this mod? What difficulty should I go with? The hardest?

duke

Literate
Vaulting is a feature that is surprisingly missing from the vanilla DX despite of all the crate stacking to reach higher places. GMDX adds that, and I have already spent too much time on exploring the areas that were previously unreachable. Some locations have brand new hidden secrets in places you couldn't get in the vanilla game at all. Plenty more replay value for the game that is already replayable, the vaulting system alone is enough to convince me this is the best way to play DX.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Does the vaulting implementation not take away from the jump/run aug?
It does, somewhat by design. Speed Enhancement has always dominated its counterpart in Run Silent, and releasing its stranglehold on character builds is a good thing. In vanilla, it was a bad joke since you could use SE while crouching for total silence and speed matching your default run. GMDX fixes this interaction and offsets the imbalance by slightly nerfing SE and buffing base run speed, in addition to giving Run Silent a bit of fall damage protection. I doubled down on these concessions and gave Run Silent half of the Speed Enhancement's groundspeed bonus as well.

However, while I quite like mantling and agree it's a natural fit for games like Thief and Deus Ex, it is a bit overpowered in the latter in that the levels were designed for crate stacking and other means of getting around. So in the next version, I'm experimenting with an overhaul to the Athletics skill that includes scaling mantling reach, which you'll need to upgrade to Advanced to match default v9 reach, while Master allows you to climb up those shipping containers in the Naval Shipyard without a boost. My only concern is that Athletics will feel "required" now, but I've found that low investment in mantling and swim speed is still a valid and fun choice in my own runs.

raz3r

Novice
Question, last year I started my 2150125th playthrough of Deus Ex with GMDX v8 and got to Paris, now that v9 is out shall I start yet another playthrough from scratch or is it better to continue with v8?

By the way i 100% agree that GMDX should be on Steam/GOG instead of Revision, it really improves the formula without turning it upside-down. I remember being quite hyped for Revision only to be tremendously disappointed when it finally came out. I'll never understand why they decided to remake the soundtrack on top of all things, I mean yeah there is an option to disable it but I still don't get it.

RoSoDude

Arcane
GMDX v8 is a great experience already, I'd just continue on since you're already halfway through. Maybe you'd like to test the next update once you're done? I'm planning to release the beta this week if all goes well. Seems like a good time with all the renewed interest in this thread.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've reached the point when I got my gear back from the armoury in the MJ12 facility, and I love this mod so far. I'm playing on hard and doing a mainly stealth and pacifist (at least vs the NSF and UNATCO) run.

The only level that I didn't care much for was the basement in the NSF warehouse. I found the security rather excessive and the level design rather phony. Don't remember if it was like that in vanilla. though. I'm blessed with bad memory, so for me it's almost like playing the game for the first time.

I also like the improved AI. It feels a bit wonky sometimes, the worst case was outside the NSF warehouse after escaping down to street level after sending the message. I tried to sneak past two UNATCO guys, and I could run on the roof of the entrance and they didn't hear it. But when I dropped to the ground crouching, and making much less sound, they heard it.

So only nitpicking so far. :salute:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Something weird...there's a Man in Black sitting by a desk in the medical area in the MJ12 facility (which turned out to be the basement of the UNATCO HQ). Coming up through a grate and facing him at a 90 degree angle it takes four shots (the first definitely to the head) from the Sniper Rifle to kill him. But if I sneak up behind him it only takes one shot to the head from the Stealth Gun to kill him (and JC as well in the ensuing explosion).
Also if I manage to make him unconscious (with tazer darts) and then shoot him until he's dead, he doesn't explode.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'll never understand why they decided to remake the soundtrack on top of all things, I mean yeah there is an option to disable it but I still don't get it.
Agreed, it's a pointless and half-assed change. I would have understood it if the original soundtrack was DOS-era MIDI. Like, duh, update the soundtrack while you're at it. But DX's soundtrack isn't primitive enough to warrant it.

And like I said, it's also half-assed. The new soundtrack sounds like a poor remix. Why not make an entire new "cover version", like Skywind does for Morrowind? Or hell, make a completely new soundtrack that sounds nothing like the original. Anything would sound better than the amateurish remixes they went with.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think it's pretty obvious the people who made Revision don't really care about Deus Ex. The mod is simply a platform for them to express themselves, as they lack the talent to create anything of their own from scratch. It pretty much is the anti-GMDX.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Something weird...there's a Man in Black sitting by a desk in the medical area in the MJ12 facility (which turned out to be the basement of the UNATCO HQ). Coming up through a grate and facing him at a 90 degree angle it takes four shots (the first definitely to the head) from the Sniper Rifle to kill him. But if I sneak up behind him it only takes one shot to the head from the Stealth Gun to kill him (and JC as well in the ensuing explosion).
Also if I manage to make him unconscious (with tazer darts) and then shoot him until he's dead, he doesn't explode.
You probably missed one of your shots, and only hit one to the head. Default MIBs have 300 health, which means an Untrained Sniper Rifle headshot isn't enough to kill them on its own. 28 base damage x 8 for a headshot is only 224, will need a few more shots to put them down. Torso and legs have a x3 damage multiplier, arms are a x2 damage multiplier. As for your Stealth Pistol instakill, that's because there's a whopping x12 stealth damage bonus if you're behind a target within ~5ft. So 8 base damage x 12 stealth bonus x 8 headshot bonus is 768, which is more than enough.

As for why MIBs don't explode while killed after KO'd, I recall that being a topic of design discussions during v9 beta. GMDX introduced the ability to kill unconscious NPCs, and I recall that MIBs not exploding was specifically not "fixed" because it would grant the player a portable TNT crate. However, that actually sounds like a cool emergent strategy that would be interesting to support... I could look at balancing the explosion damage to keep it in line with the Damage Thresholds on locks and devices.

Side Note, I reduced Hardcore Super MIB health to 850 so they wouldn't be left alive with 0.4% health from two Master level Sniper Rifle headshots. Just didn't seem right, especially since the Targeting aug readout estimates their remaining health as 0%.

Last edited:

Warlod

Novice
It was annoying me that in Vanilla you have to hold X to crouch. Now with this mod I can press X and no longer need to hold it. Thank you!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So after talking to Stanton Dowd, I'm ambushed by MJ12 troops, but it seems the UNATCO and Riot Cops are aggroed by their shooting.
So it felt like all those Tarantino movies with three factions killing each other.
I thought they were on the same team?

TEZhdoy.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom