Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I love historical settings, but the problem with Ubisoft games is that they are so shallow, they do not actually tap into anything interesting related to the history. If you play Kingdom Come: Deliverance, you get some idea (perhaps not 100% accurate but close) of how medieval life in HRE was. If you play Odyssey, you will walk away thinking ancient Greeks spent all their time fighting 1 on 400, finding phat lewtz, and dealing with conspiracies.

They're theme park adventure versions basically, like Epcot.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Quest editor:

https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/...57/assassins-creed-odyssey-story-creator-mode

ASSASSIN’S CREED ODYSSEY: STORY CREATOR MODE

GENERAL
What is Story Creator Mode?

Story Creator Mode is a quest creation tool that will allow you to create your own Stories in the world of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and play stories created by other players. It is available for free to all Assassin's Creed Odyssey owners.

We are taking our philosophy of empowering players with choice to another level, allowing you to write your own stories and accompany them with gameplay.

The creation tool is based on the quest designer and branching dialogue system used for Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The community-created Stories will be available for all players to play directly in-game, and are cross-platform.

Who will enjoy Story Creator Mode?

Everyone can enjoy the Story Creator Mode. It is free and accessible to all Assassin's Creed Odyssey players after downloading the most recent update.

To create your own Stories and browse all the user-generated content on the Story Creator Mode website you need an Ubisoft account and an access to a PC or laptop.

On which platforms will Story Creator Mode be available?

The Stories made in Story Creator Mode will be available for everyone to play on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X, and Windows PC. All Stories published will be playable on all platforms.

To create a Story, you must have access to a PC or laptop. You must also own a copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and have a Ubisoft account.

How much is Story Creator Mode?

Story Creator Mode is available for free to all Assassin's Creed Odyssey owners. You will be able to activate Story Creator Mode in your game, and access community created Stories in the Quest menu or directly in your game world.

The Story Creator tools are also completely free for all Assassin's Creed Odyssey owners, and available on a dedicated website.

Where can I find Story Creator Mode?

The dedicated website will allow you to create new Stories, manage your content, and discover other community generated Stories to play.

In-game you will have the option to turn on Story Creator Mode from the main menu. Once you opt in, user generated Stories will automatically appear in your world, easily identifiable by a special icon.

Can I use the Photo Mode when playing community-created Stories?

Yes, the Photo Mode feature is available as is the case with the rest of the game, and you should use it to capture interesting moments from your Stories to post on your Story Details page!

STORY CREATOR MODE - WEBSITE
What is the Story Creator Mode website?

The Story Creator Mode website is the platform where you can create your own Stories and find the all the published Stories made by other creators. It can be found HERE.

On the website you will be able to browse all available content thanks to a filter system, discover other players' Creator Profiles, manage your Quest Log, and edit your own Stories with the Story Creator tools.

Do I need an Ubisoft account to access Story Creator Mode?

Yes, you need an Ubisoft account and a copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey to create and play Stories, but you can browse the Story Creator Mode website without them.

What is the profile for on the Story Creator Mode website?

Your Creator Profile on the website is where you will be able to find your Story Log, your personal stats, view your drafts and creations, and see your average Story rating given by other players. You will also be able to see other players' Creator Profiles and follow them.

How can I find content I am interested in on the Story Creator Mode website?

On the Story Creator Mode website, you will be able to search all available content thanks to a filter system based on tags given by the community.

When finishing a Story, each player will be prompted to give a rating and choose from some pre-defined tags that most accurately represent the content they just played. Thanks to this community-based review system, quality content will become more visible and easier to find.

What is the maximum number of Stories I can have in my Story Log at one time?

You can add a maximum of 20 Stories from the Story Creator Mode website to your Story Log. The Stories you saved to your Story Log will then appear in game.

Once you have completed a Story you can either leave it in your Story Log to try for another outcome, or you can remove it. If you don't have 20 Stories saved in your Story Log, it will be populated with recommended Stories in game. If you max out your Story Log but find more Stories on the website that you'd like to add, you can also save over 250 Stories for later, which you can then manually move to your Story Log when there is space.

STORY CREATOR MODE – CREATOR TOOL
What is the Story Creator?

The Story Creator is a toolset based on our own quest editor used by the development team to create Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It is a web-based tool available HERE.

It also includes elements of the interactive dialogue system used in the main game, allowing users to create their own interactive branching dialogues.

How do I publish a Story/Can I test my Stories before I publish them?

After you have created a Story on the Story Creator Mode website, you will be able to instantly push it to your game to test it out. You can iterate on it as many times as you like until you feel it is ready to publish.

While testing your Story, you'll be able to take photos of it using Photo Mode to present it to the community and show its unique qualities.

Once you publish your Story, it will be available on the website for all other players to see and play.

Can I remove or edit a Story once it's published?

Yes, you have full control over your own content at all times, so once a Story has been published you can edit, remove or delete it altogether!

How much variety can I create in quests?

There are currently six different quest objectives to mix and match, such as freeing or assassinating targets and going to specific locations. Over 80 beloved historical and fictional characters from Assassin's Creed Odyssey are available, so you have a wide range of NPCs who can star in your Stories.

The branching dialogue aspect of the tool also allows you to create Stories with multiple endings and outcomes, allowing for lots of opportunities for other community members to replay content.

Will we get to use historical characters/Can we still interact with history and historical events?

You will have access to a range of beloved historical and fictional characters from the main game to use in your Stories. With the world of Assassin's Creed Odyssey as your backdrop, you can retell the events you witness in the main game or create your own.

Our motto has always been that history is your playground, and this is more true than ever with Story Creator Mode!

Will there be a branching dialogue system option like in the main game?

We have role-play options available in the dialogue system, like lying to and attacking NPCs, similar to the main game.

However, it is entirely up to the creator if they would like to have a linear Story or a branching narrative with multiple endings.

Are there any limits to what you can create?

For gameplay reasons, some NPCs and in-game areas are not available, such as the mythical creatures and their arenas.

We also have some restrictions similar to the main game, for example the length of dialogue lines and the amount of objectives available on the HUD. These restrictions also apply to the amount of characters and dialogues you can have within a Story. Also, you can only have a maximum of 32 quests within a Story.

It is also not possible to create new characters and item models, or directly mod the game.

Can I give as much XP and drachmae as I want in the Stories I create?

No, you are not able to influence the amount of XP and drachmae players can earn playing your Stories. Each quest completed within a Story will reward a certain amount of drachmae and XP depending on the player's level.

STORY CREATOR MODE – GAME MODE
How do I access Story Creator Mode in game?

Stories you saved in your Story Log on the Story Creator Mode website will automatically appear in-game, along with recommended Stories based on your previously played Stories or Stories that are popular.

How will I differentiate User Generated Stories from the other game's quests?

User Generated Stories are clearly represented on your map and compass by a brand new icon, and will be represented in the game world by a glowing Story Portal. Story Creator Mode also has its own dedicated quest log found in the same area as your main game quests in the menu. It will contain all your recommended Stories, as well as the ones you've assigned to your Story Log on the website.

Will the User Generated Stories I play affect my main game progression?

Upon entering the Story Portal you will be placed in a separate game state to play the Story, but any XP and drachmae earned will carry over to the main game.

How can I earn XP and Drachmae playing user-generated Stories?

Any XP and drachmae you earn in a Story is carried over to your main game.

Each quest completed within a Story will reward a certain amount of drachmae and XP depending on the player's level.

TROUBLESHOOTING
How do I test my Story?

• Once your Story is saved with no errors, launch Assassin's Creed Odyssey (you must be connected to the internet)
  • In the main menu, choose My Stories
  • Choose if you would like Debug options (invincibility, weaker enemies, etc.)
  • Select the Story you want to test. You can choose to test a Story from the start or from a debug starter in the middle of the Story
  • If you made some changes to your Story on the Creator while testing it in game, just abort it and start it again from the My Stories Menu
What is the difference between a quest starter and a quest objective?

A quest objective tells the players what to do (go to a location, assassinate an NPC etc.). When a quest objective is activated in game, the quest will appear in the HUD.

A quest starter tells the player that there is a quest at this position. The players are not given objectives until they reach the marker.

For more details, please refer to our User Guides.

How am I supposed to tell where the errors are in my Story?

There is an error log window on the upper right of the Story Creator canvas, explaining what you will need to fix. The objective blocks will also turn red if an issue needs to be addressed before publishing.

How do I use the debug option, and what does it do?

The debug options are to there to help creators test their stories. You can choose to:

• Play as Kassandra or Alexios
  • Grant immunity to damage
  • Be invisible to other characters
  • Weaken enemies
What happens if a Story is edited while it is being played?

If a Story is edited, it will be updated when it is not being played, for example when it is completed or aborted.

Yosharian

Arcane

TL;DR:

tya7S4r.png

It's a shame that Ubisoft is being such a stick-in-the-mud regarding what they're allowing. I have no intention to farm a bunch of XP, but this bad press is just about the only press the Story Creator mode has gotten and I'd love to see it actually get used enough that people start doing cool things with it. I played around with it a bunch earlier and it seemed surprisingly complex (if missing a bunch of stuff I'd hope would get patched in), but it's never going to amount to anything if Ubisoft doesn't stop blatantly trying to promote the microtransactions in their own game and make their best effort to piss off their entire community.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is no hiding the fact that their game is padded to hell and back, when they themselves call their little microtransaction dlcs "time-savers". So damn cynical.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How times change with console pleb hordes invading PC and their total lack of knowledge and history. Ubishit are way worse that likes of EA. Ubi and SEGA, if both bankrupt one day it will be glorious.

Codex Year of the Donut
There is no hiding the fact that their game is padded to hell and back, when they themselves call their little microtransaction dlcs "time-savers". So damn cynical.
It's nothing new, just fresh paint on shit like 1-900 tiplines & strategy guides back when games were designed around being nearly impossible to complete without using them.

Nice to see the xp grinding getting some more mainstream attention, particularly as it's just going to become a bigger problem if streaming game services do manage to achieve mainstream success: publishers will want to artificially keep the customers playing the same single player game for longer and longer as the longer they play the game the more they pay (mmorpg design).

This also means that the chances of Odyssey ever getting the free character level boost mode or PC-only animus control panel that Origins did are now pretty slim.

You can use cheat engine to max out your character's level right from the start and thus easily avoid the grind in Odyssey, but there are still other design decisions meant to waste your time.
For instance, in Odyssey & Origins when you climb up to viewpoints to reveal POIs on the map it now only reveals those POIs as question marks icons rather than what those POIs actually consist of, there's no easy way to tell which question mark consists of a long handwritten quest with choices and which are just about picking up some collectible feather in the middle of nowhere. Even if only a certain type of POI interests you, you'd have to waste an inordinate amount of time visiting all the question marks just to find the ones of the type that interest you.
In previous AC games when you unlocked a viewpoint it unlocked nearby POI icons on the map and the icons represented the type of POI they consisted of, and the maps had filters that allowed you to filter the type of POI icon shown on the map to begin with so you could even more easily ignore the worst time-wasting crap the games had to offer (though that fact seemed to escape most of those who complained about the maps being littered with icons). Now Ubisoft expects you to pay them real world money in a "microtransaction" to turn those question mark icons on the map into icons that show what they consist of (to spare your time).

Last edited:
Ubisoft recently added some level-locked features to the game (such as transmog - useful when most gear seems to come from an LGBT remake of Caligula) that won't unlock if you ever get a big enough xp reward that makes you jump through more than one levelup at once (ex: if an xp reward is big enough to take you from lv14 straight to lv16, you won't get the lv15 unlocks).

So if you previously got rid of the game's ridiculous level system right from the start by using an xp multiplier cheat to jump to the max level (99) and set the game to upscale everything to your level you'd now possibly miss out on some features.

IMO it's too crude to be some kind of unintentional programming oversight. If it can also happen without cheats (afaik with the paid dlcs you get about double the normal xp gain) they'd have effectively introduced a bug into the game in their attempts to discourage people from using xp cheats rather than paying for ubi's xp packs.

related: https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-odysseys-dollar10-xp-boost-leaves-a-bit-of-a-sour-taste/

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm in an argument with a friend - how long would it take to decrypt this AssCreed if you had preloaded it before release?

Yosharian

Arcane
I still don't understand why would people use xp multipliers at all - or even be so dump to pay for them. The levelling is quick enough without such measures.
That's interesting cos every single review of this game notes how shitty the endgame grinding is, that it basically forces you to do tons of sidequests to even be high-level enough to complete the game

But I guess you're right, and they totally didn't make the game grindy as fuck in endgame to push people into buying XP boosters, that's definitely not what happened

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, I finished the game in April. The engame was actually quite boring, because I achieved max level after exploring 80% of the map, and unlike Origins, you don't get additional skill boosts after you max the experience level. So the game lost a lot of its rpg-lite appeal.

Did I grind? Not really. I simply did all the quests I could find (except the radiant ones, once I learned how to differentiate them from the handcrafted ones), visited most of the ruins, temples, caverns, robbed fortresses and treasuries, overthrew some Athenians and Spartans here and there, hunted some pirates and exterminated mercenaries that were often hunting me. Also, maxed out my ship halfway through the playthrough.

I simply played the game and somehow did not notice any grinding. I did not wander in hope of meating respawning enemies, or cleared any fortress several times to max exp. I just explored the enormous amount of content this game provides. Sure it was sometimes repetitive,but the combination of many factors (new fortress layouts, new mercenaries joining the fun, some C&C here and there) kept me going until the end.

I never needed exp boosts, either through mods or payed boosters. So I simply do not understand the whole debacle.

What I had, what other players might lack? Patience to play the game until the very end without needs of a cheat mode.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No, doing handcrafted quests the devs prepared for you is not grinding. Thinking that it is is beyond retarded. Doing handcrafted quests is simply playing the game. It is as true for AS:O, as it is true for the Witcher, Planescape Torment or Fallout New Vegas.

Grinding is travelling around maps simply to pick up fights (especially with respawning enemies) to gather exp and loot, without advancing the plot of the game. Or, alternatively doing endless radiant quests, which also only bring exp and loot, but have no effect on the story, or the factions.

Fishy

Savant
I still don't understand why would people use xp multipliers at all - or even be so dump to pay for them. The levelling is quick enough without such measures.

This. Picked it up on the cheap during some sales, and was initially pissed off by the typically Ubi Loud school of design: CLICK HERE FOR UBI STORE, YOU EARNED 10 UBI POINTS GO SPEND THEM ON THE STORE, YOU EARNED 3 HELIX POINTS DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN BUY MORE ON STORE?, THIS IS AN ORICHALCUM VENDOR THAT YOU CAN GRIND TO BUY FROM OR INSTEAD USE THE UBI STORE, NEW QUEST ACCEPTED, QUEST COMPLETE, LEVEL UP, MULTIPLE QUESTS ACCEPTED. It felt even louder than Steep, and that's a game targeting loud snowboard fans in the first place ffs.

However... Once these abysmal first impressions have passed, the game was surprisingly pleasant. Feels sort of a Witcher 3 in Ancient Greece, with (far) worse writing and better combat. And from there, I've never been mad, even once, that they gated some xp boost in their stupid single player store: if anything, way too many areas ended up scaling up the default 2-levels behind me. Tutorial Island is the only place where I looked at mob/area levels, but past that, meh, xp just flowed. Some areas I more or less completed, some others I beelined the main quest or cultist, some I haven't set foot into at all (just finished the base game endings, only got started with DLCs).

Now if only they'd made that a proper standalone title instead of integrating it in their stupid assassintemplarconspiracytheory thing with cyberspace texture loading and stupid present day chapters...

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, I agree, they should ditch the animus bullshit and start doing proper historical arpgs.

They have the engine, the funds, attention to detail. Just acquire some writers and quest designers from CD Projekt Red and they are good to go.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Yes, I agree, they should ditch the animus bullshit and start doing proper historical arpgs.

They have the engine, the funds, attention to detail. Just acquire some writers and quest designers from CD Projekt Red and they are good to go.

The animus and the connection between the historical period and the present are what made the series interesting to begin with and gave the meaning to the plot set in the past, allowing for the use and twisting of historical character while retaining focus.

They shouldn't ditch the animus because it's a bad idea, they should because their writers are shit and they clearly aren't capable anymore of producing an interesting paralel story set in the present.

Besides, attention to detail? What? Their rendition of ancient Greece and the Peloponnesian war is campy, shlock and makes a mockery of both Assassin's Creed and the tragedy of the real history.

A giant african woman, in the greek islands, that happens to be a pirate and be stronger than men. Lul

Or what about the lack of sexual discrimination for women? What about the 3 meters tall enemies with giant sword and hammers? What about the battles that are depicted as brawls instead of actual historical phalanx formations? What about the giant statue of Zeus on the starting island? The lack of life and interesting NPCs routines in Athens?

The level of detail of this game is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom