Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Wunderbar

Arcane
Two-shotted naga protector with my spearhead. It's sad that rifles are so much better than crossbows, and i'm playing as a crossbowman with only 35 in Guns (for cooked shot).
How did you pull that off?
emp grenade, aimed shot 600 something damage, then second shot was another 600 something crit.

hell bovine

Arcane
There's not much bloat, enemies get like +10-20%, outside of bosses. The best part about DOMINATING is seeing DC-only creatures, like Burrower Warriors and Cuttlesnails.
Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy then, I find fighting burrowers already plenty annoying. Imo the highlight of Underrail are varied enemy groups like Lunatics, but the swarm-like creatures aren't such a great idea. Zergling rush is fun in real time, in turn based is just drags on.

Parabalus

Arcane
There's not much bloat, enemies get like +10-20%, outside of bosses. The best part about DOMINATING is seeing DC-only creatures, like Burrower Warriors and Cuttlesnails.
Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy then, I find fighting burrowers already plenty annoying. Imo the highlight of Underrail are varied enemy groups like Lunatics, but the swarm-like creatures aren't such a great idea. Zergling rush is fun in real time, in turn based is just drags on.

The warriors give variety to the otherwise boring burrowers.

ciox

Liturgist
Lunatics are great, certainly, but if I'm not mistaken their groups also become more diverse on Dominating, after all you won't even encounter the miniboss Firecracker unless you're playing on Hard or above.

Parabalus

Arcane
The nerfs to infused leather quality were really retarded. Should have made infused leather = super steel quality, not this shit where it's lower than it .

ciox

Liturgist
The nerfs to infused leather quality were really retarded. Should have made infused leather = super steel quality, not this shit where it's lower than it .

Yeah, no argument there. Big nerfs are bad, big nerfs after a long time are especially bad. People have been telling the team to stop that type of stuff for a long time.
Shit reminds me of when they nerfed the SMG in HL2 to fire more slowly six years after release
  • In earlier versions of Half-Life 2, the SMG used to fire faster. When Episode Two was released, the SMG rate of fire was slightly lowered; this change was implemented in the 2010 versions of Half-Life 2 and Episode One.

This is what you get for living in a digital era and playing digital games, shit constantly changing, just because it can be done.
on tactical vests, does super steel sheet still help with knives only or was it expanded to swords/spears?
It should have been expanded to all edged weapons including those, no idea if it now works also against animal claw attacks, or if it always worked against animal claw attacks.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Makes me glad I never bothered to make leather, I just used Rathound Regalia and then the edgelord armor when I got it. I did make some nice tabis though had to justify taking clothier somehow.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blaine I'm stealing your spear build and changing it up a little bit.
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQoFBgcDAwYADwAPAAAADw8ADwoFBQUFAAAADwAACE8
Lowered Will down to 3 because I can metagame persuasion checks and IDRC about mercantile. Lowered intelligence to 6 because I don't think PM is worth it, and pumped strength a little early. I'm thinking of maybe taking Nimble to give even more movement points, and I think I might level agility up a little bit early too since strength is already at 10. We'll see how it goes.

It's a good build. The only annoyance is that you're kind of stuck in riot armor, although you'll only lose out on a couple of feats and spec points if you choose to wear something else for a while.

I think I regret taking Armor Sloping instead of Nimble. It probably only makes sense to get the former if you've already got the latter.

Don't be so quick to ignore Mercantile, either. A decently high Mercantile can save you tens of thousands of charons on jet ski purchases alone, for example.

So for a non stealthy, non pistol user, it's pmuch just an energy field bonus, got it.

It's great for shield emitters, which are the single best defensive item in the game, so that alone makes it worthwhile. You'll also be able to get ten charges out of high-quality electric spears before they're out of juice, rather than only eight.

However, it's also great for moneymaking when combined with high Mercantile, because energy capacity has a dramatic effect on the value of all electronic weapons and items. Currently, I can purchase all of the parts for any powered item (cloaking device, shield emitter, energy pistol, etc.; it's important not to use any very low-quality components, though, as they'll drag the others down) from a merchant, assemble the finished product, and then sell that product back to the merchant for a substantial profit. That's a pretty nice perk, because electronic equipment is rare to find in loot, and of course you need to relieve all merchants of their entire stock of charons as frequently as possible in order to furnish your mansion and assemble your jet ski fleet.
Yeah the bonuses from both Armor Sloping and Power Management are too good to pass up. I'll be taking both along with nimble so my hypothetical armor penalty from 51% would go all the way down to 15, which is too good to pass up. The final distribution around mid expansion should be this.
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAwGBwcDAwcAbgBuAAAAQ0kAblBQMh48AAAAAG4AAAhPOcKVEsKUwpPCr8KSJEUpGsKe4rOOAuKzogPfvw
(I'm playing with unerfed version of spear throw, hence the specialization points) I'll be grabbing Grenadier at level 22, just in time for Deep Caverns and maybe the tail end of some of the expeditions content. The good thing about this build is how many melee enemies there are in expedition. The strongmen, crabs, and spiders are all going to get fucked. I'll finish off with shield arm at 24 and a point into agility at 24, increased agility at 26, strider at 28, and finally body weight training at 30 to make myself even more mobile.

Quick question, why do you use boots instead of Tabis? I've never used boots so perhaps I'm missing something really obvious.[/QUOTE]

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Look, I'll be honest here: I said some mean things about Styg's Spear Throw nerf, but just about everything I throw a spear at pretty much still dies anyway, unless it's someone/something special like Balor or the Rathound King.

So, all in all, I can't complain too much. The nerf probably has the greatest effect on the early game, which I was already past before 1.0.1.12 dropped.

Also, the highest-priority targets for Spear Throw are psi users, and it's almost certain to kill them anyway unless it misses.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
So what do you summon when you light them all?
BlfhgFT.png

ciox

Liturgist
Look, I'll be honest here: I said some mean things about Styg's Spear Throw nerf, but just about everything I throw a spear at pretty much still dies anyway, unless it's someone/something special like Balor or the Rathound King.

So, all in all, I can't complain too much. The nerf probably has the greatest effect on the early game, which I was already past before 1.0.1.12 dropped.

Also, the highest-priority targets for Spear Throw are psi users, and it's almost certain to kill them anyway unless it misses.

Yes, spear early game sucks ass, especially if you have low Dex as your throws will miss often, better to get other feats first and leave the throwing for later.

another random question: as a almost blind knifer, how effective versatility would be as replacement of expose weakness?
Basically im exploring whether it would be better option than energy edge knife at close range for heavy armored cans. I'm talking either energy pistols(preferable) or chemical ones. Could craft high end of both if needed. Obviously shot at point blank.
As I have little experience with lazor guns, I wonder if energy edge knife (about 60 energy dmg per 7AP) can be outperformed by some high end lazor pistol which ap cost id bring down to 10. Eletroshock i could bring down to 20ap.

It's probably fine but I would keep a taser to use on evasive enemies to guarantee a hit.

Tigranes

Arcane
So I'm curious about unarmed. My psimonk just took knives early levels because it was easier to find decent knives, and 60 v 80% shield bypass hardly matters. How does unarmed shine? Knives often do more damage per AP, no? So is it about stacking debuffs?

I've just picked up the Claw for contamination, and could pair it with Combo (though I already have stunning options). Perhaps I should have gone with Crippling Strike?

ciox

Liturgist
So I'm curious about unarmed. My psimonk just took knives early levels because it was easier to find decent knives, and 60 v 80% shield bypass hardly matters. How does unarmed shine? Knives often do more damage per AP, no? So is it about stacking debuffs?

I've just picked up the Claw for contamination, and could pair it with Combo (though I already have stunning options). Perhaps I should have gone with Crippling Strike?
Unarmed seems pretty broken because of being able to strike extremely often, which allows you to proc tons of stuff like Pneumatic Hammers, Combo, Cheap Shots incapacitation, you name it, enabling you to escape lots of sticky situations.

Tbh it's nice after Unarmed mostly sucking in Fallout 1 and 2.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Need some help, in general (new to the game) and with the Faceless of Rail Crossing. Playing on hard and they really paste me if they see me. I'm sitting on a levelup which I could put entirely into Stealth which I currently have 10 points in, I have a padded coat which has +16 stealth. How much stealth do I need to sneak around the Faceless? I looked on the wiki and I have enough persuasion to persuade the Faceless leader if I can reach them. Alternatively, is there a way I can fight them head-on, maybe with EMP mines or something?

I've come back from Junkyard with the Armadillo drill bit, and I've visited camp Hathor briefly and done the optoelectric battery thing in the east. I'm currently rooting around Core City for oddities, not doing any quests there yet. I'm level 11, I have PSI and no weapons or traps skill. My armour is an anti-thermic galvanic overcoat and I have a Conservative Medium Shield; the rest of my gear is unremarkable.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Need some help, in general (new to the game) and with the Faceless of Rail Crossing. Playing on hard and they really paste me if they see me. I'm sitting on a levelup which I could put entirely into Stealth which I currently have 10 points in, I have a padded coat which has +16 stealth. How much stealth do I need to sneak around the Faceless? I looked on the wiki and I have enough persuasion to persuade the Faceless leader if I can reach them. Alternatively, is there a way I can fight them head-on, maybe with EMP mines or something?

I've come back from Junkyard with the Armadillo drill bit, and I've visited camp Hathor briefly and done the optoelectric battery thing in the east. I'm currently rooting around Core City for oddities, not doing any quests there yet. I'm level 11, I have PSI and no weapons or traps skill. My armour is an anti-thermic galvanic overcoat and I have a Conservative Medium Shield; the rest of my gear is unremarkable.
Follow the east wall of in the buzzers shop zone, staying away from the Faceless. Go into the zone south of buzzers shop (2 zones directly south of Rail Crossing), and on the bottom left corner of the map, facing north, you'll find a little shack with a trapdoor that requires 60 or 70 lockpicking to open. Go down that trap door, zone change north, and than look around for a ladder. It'll take you directly to buzzers shop away from the faceless.

Tigranes

Arcane

At level 11, if you've only put in 10, Stealth was never intended to be one of your main skills? It's not a great idea to put points in anywhere just to put out fires. If you're not a stealthy guy, don't waste points in it and look for other solutions; in Underrail, there usually is one.

ItsChon's east wall route will help you avoid most/all Faceless. Even if you don't have lockpicking, it's a path that can help you avoid most/all fights outside the shop if you're careful.

EMP grenades will short-circuit robots, but also fuck up people who have active energy shields (including you). Any character can use grenades, just be prepared to miss.

You can talk to Myles back in town to pursue a sidequest that he says might help you dampen the Faceless threat before you have to go in there.

Memory is fuzzy, but I believe exploring all of the above options, you can solve the quest by fighting something like 1-2 Faceless directly.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is there a hotkey for the "Create" button on the crafting screen? That would be handy for recycling the rathound leather armors of my vanquished foes, and for other things.

900+ hours later, I still hold out hope that such a keybinding exists and that I've just been missing it all this time.

By the way, yeah, you can recharge jet skis while riding them, just not while standing next to a parked one (usually). Thanks for the clarification, guys.

Sheepherder

Augur
I can deal with strongmen and crabs, at least those can be kited into chokepoints. Imo people having trouble with them use builds that do not have enough cc. I can also deal with hives, while annoying if they spot me, they are easy to stealth past.
But I fucking hate the god damn raids upon raids upon raids on the expedition base by those inbred savage fucks. Same shit every time and what's worse is they are timed. In a game where the world progresses as the player completes quests and most timed shit is limited to vendors, making the raids timed was retarded.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I personally enjoyed the raids, and they all ended up occuring right around major plot points for me, so I guess it was just lucky timing on my part.

Tigranes

Arcane
Nobody has "trouble" with strongmen and crabs, the trouble is that they are boring as shit.

Hives are simple to stealth past for a stealth character, but that means the entirety of the Horticulture Centre is running in there, clicking on some terminals, and leaving. Why? Because the choice is to sneak past or kill your brain fighting such a boring shit banal enemy.

Protip: I have ignored every single base call for help after helping them with the mandatory first fight (although I'd argue they are far more fun than strongmen, crabs or hives). Result? Aegis are fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom