Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate III retrospective series by Bob Case (MrBtongue)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Grognard: Yes, it’s true RPGs look better now than they did back then, but there’s more to a game than the graphics.

The Grognard: That’s not a character. That’s a build.

The Grognard: But what character do you want to play? Never mind the numbers – who are they, what is their personality? Or, how about this: which character portrait did you pick?

The Grognard: At this point I feel I should remind you that we want to roleplay, not just make a standard-issue chaotic neutral murder hobo.

Yeah, these are not things a grognard would say. For the most part, art direction doesn't match up, and if anything, the newbie would be the role player.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's actually a perceptive observation that the grognard is the one who gets that you're not supposed to reroll until you get all 18s. Grognard here is not necessarily the same thing as "power gamer", it can also be somebody who understands the spirit of D&D.

Curratum

You must realize that in 5 years nobody but the two dozen crusty neckbeards in here, headed by their trans goddess lilura, will be playing the original editions of the IE games, simply because that shit has not been available to buy anywhere for years, even today.

The Grognard: Yes, it’s true RPGs look better now than they did back then, but there’s more to a game than the graphics.

The Grognard: But what character do you want to play? Never mind the numbers – who are they, what is their personality? Or, how about this: which character portrait did you pick?

The Grognard: At this point I feel I should remind you that we want to roleplay, not just make a standard-issue chaotic neutral murder hobo.

Yeah, these are not things a grognard would say. For the most part, art direction doesn't match up, and if anything, the newbie would be the role player.

The fact that the "grognard" doesn't know you can just apply a fan patch for a higher resolution without EE betrays that it is a made up person. The fact that they play the first BG and 'grognard' isn't surprised you have weapons proficiencies from the sequel or isn't appeared at new cutscenes is also telling.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, no, the whole "two perspectives" thing. Spoiler warning: even if there are two perspectives on an issue, it doesn't mean they are both valid and both must be heard.

Those people are made up. They don't exist. Nobody speaks like that.
I know they are made up, I just hate this "two+ perspectives" rhetoric. Even if they weren't made up, why would we need to hear a retrospective from a newbie's perspective? I can just have a friend of mine play it for 5 minutes and tell me all I need to know.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You must realize that in 5 years nobody but the two dozen crusty neckbeards in here, headed by their trans goddess lilura, will be playing the original editions of the IE games, simply because that shit has not been available to buy anywhere for years, even today.

I bought a new boxed copy of Baldur's Gate just a few years ago. They also come as "bonuses" when you buy the EEs on GOG. Additionally, Icewind Dale 2 will never be enhanced. :P

Yosharian

Arcane
Haha he picked a gnome

Can't wait to see his reaction when he finds out all the romance options are racist

I mean, I guess you could pork Aerie, but Jaheira and Viccy are both decidedly against fucking gnomes

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane

A grognard would definitely say 2, 3, and 4 in a tabletop setting. They're just silly in that scenario because the RP is limited by BG's (limited) reactivity, unless you pretend the 'personality' changes anything.

Grognard here is not necessarily the same thing as "power gamer"
It never is. Being anti-munchkinism is part of the point.

Yosharian

Arcane
It's quite amusing that the guy who's never played BG before is considering making a Kensai/Mage that duals at level 13. Christ that would be a hard slog. Even if you played modded with all XP caps off and cheesed the heck out of BG1 to maximise XP gain, it still wouldn't be that simple.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
  • Is the Baldur’s Gate series as good as everyone remembers it being?
No, it was interesting and we were craving for cRPG back then that's why people loved it in spite of its gameplay and all the retarded features that goes with it.

• Is Larian the right developer for this game?
We're about to find out, i want to say no, they're not the right developer to deliver a great game, just like Bioware wasn't the right developer for the BG series.
I also want to say yes for "success" purposes as Larian is quite successful right now.
The hopeful answer being Ceres Games (Realms Beyond Team) is the right developer for the job.
The right answer would be Pierre Begue (KotC, KotC 2) leading a skilled team (who else delivered recently ?)

• Is today’s world as interested in Baldur’s Gate III as we think it is?
No, probably not but they will be if the game delivers, Larian is quite successful after all ...

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, probably not but they will be if the game delivers, Larian is quite successful after all ...
There's a weird anecdote I have, I matched with some guy on Tinder recently and somehow the conversation steered towards how I played BG1 in German, and *he* brought up Larian, how amazing they are and how he can't wait for Baldur's Gate 3. Needless to say, it wasn't a very long relationship, but that's neither here nor there, lol. Anyway, it seems like there is some kind of interest if random people tell me about it.

There's a weird anecdote I have, I matched with some guy on Tinder recently and somehow the conversation steered towards how I played BG1 in German, and *he* brought up Larian, how amazing they are and how he can't wait for Baldur's Gate 3. Needless to say, it wasn't a very long relationship, but that's neither here nor there, lol. Anyway, it seems like there is some kind of interest if random people tell me about it.

Are you a dirty casual? You won't fuck tonight.

Efe

Erudite
here we see a devious predator hunting grognards in their native habitat by use of an elitism horn

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't use Tinder for sex (I hate casual sex in general), but yeah, filty console peasants and dirty casuals won't get into my pants, lol.

I bet your dream date would be Tim Cain in his prime.
Furthermore he's also gay

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom