Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Need some help, in general (new to the game) and with the Faceless of Rail Crossing. Playing on hard and they really paste me if they see me. I'm sitting on a levelup which I could put entirely into Stealth which I currently have 10 points in, I have a padded coat which has +16 stealth. How much stealth do I need to sneak around the Faceless? I looked on the wiki and I have enough persuasion to persuade the Faceless leader if I can reach them. Alternatively, is there a way I can fight them head-on, maybe with EMP mines or something?

I've come back from Junkyard with the Armadillo drill bit, and I've visited camp Hathor briefly and done the optoelectric battery thing in the east. I'm currently rooting around Core City for oddities, not doing any quests there yet. I'm level 11, I have PSI and no weapons or traps skill. My armour is an anti-thermic galvanic overcoat and I have a Conservative Medium Shield; the rest of my gear is unremarkable.

I've played this shit so many times that I know the quest by heart.

You get the quest from Captain Herve and then you speak with Miles about his idea. He has a shop in the northern part of the map.
He tells you to go find an EMP device within an warehouse south of Rail Crossing.
Pay attention to his instruction. Follow right rail platform or something ... in any case, it's South.
There are Death Stalkers on the lowest level of that warehouse. However the EMP device is on the 1st floor therefore you can skip the second level.
After you get the EMP device then give it to Miles which will assemble it.
Once activated all the plasma sentries surrounding Buzzer shop will stop functioning which means that you can pretty much walk around with low stealth.
Then you go south of Buzzer shop where there is a hatch which you can use to reach the inside of Buzzer shop.
You can activate two turrets to kill the Faceless but then you have to kill all of them (it's bad for the story).
Or you can let the Faceless Mindreader read your mind.
If you have enough Persuation you can convince the Faceless to leave and maybe even save Buzzer.
Basically the second option is superior because you don't have to fight any Faceless (also it's good for the story)

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
Just lol if you aren't going full hockey player/quarterback.

if3j223.jpg

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
How high is it useful to take Persuasion? Currently I've got it at 55 (87). Anyone know what the highest skillcheck is? Same with hacking and lockpicking actually, would be good to know.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
How high is it useful to take Persuasion? Currently I've got it at 55 (87). Anyone know what the highest skillcheck is? Same with hacking and lockpicking actually, would be good to know.

I think it's enough. You only need something like 60 effective PER (I could be wrong).

Jezal_k23

What do you mean? You need 60 effective at most in the whole game? That's really low.

ciox

Liturgist
What do you mean? You need 60 effective at most in the whole game? That's really low.

It's got synergy with mercantile, brah!!!
Too bad synergies don't really do anything if you were already seriously investing in that skill.

Blackmill

Scholar

I think it's enough. You only need something like 60 effective PER (I could be wrong).

Depends on the outcomes that you desire. There's at least one DLC check which I know requires above 94 persuasion. Also I think there's some high end-game checks.

The above-94 check is to convince Captain Grim to let you pass through his territory uncontested. This can be approached during negotiations to have the doctor returned. I was able to pass it after increasing my persuasion from 94 to 100. Also, I don't know the value, but I assume it requires more than 60 persuasion to get Azif to talk about Six after you beat the game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
depends what you mean by stealthy. If you want to max actual stealth, then infused hopper. With q150 you can probably reach 20% movement speed bonus, +1 agi boosts your sneak too. In case you dont have nimble it got just 5% penalty. You should get it anyway and swap when about to engage heavy fight.
i'm thinking about dlc's leathers, wiki isn't up to date about new stuff.

that part tells me that you might not have nimble.
i have nimble, heartbreaker leather armor heavily lowers your stealth because it's shiny.

Parabalus

Arcane
depends what you mean by stealthy. If you want to max actual stealth, then infused hopper. With q150 you can probably reach 20% movement speed bonus, +1 agi boosts your sneak too. In case you dont have nimble it got just 5% penalty. You should get it anyway and swap when about to engage heavy fight.
i'm thinking about dlc's leathers, wiki isn't up to date about new stuff.

that part tells me that you might not have nimble.
i have nimble, heartbreaker leather armor heavily lowers your stealth because it's shiny.

They are all up on the wiki, they all seem useless except vs specific enemies.

Depends on the outcomes that you desire. There's at least one DLC check which I know requires above 94 persuasion. Also I think there's some high end-game checks.

The above-94 check is to convince Captain Grim to let you pass through his territory uncontested. This can be approached during negotiations to have the doctor returned. I was able to pass it after increasing my persuasion from 94 to 100. Also, I don't know the value, but I assume it requires more than 60 persuasion to get Azif to talk about Six after you beat the game.

ARKE is 115 I think, that's the highest.

Can you even go to Abyssal Station without breaking the truce? I couldn't find a path which didn't trigger hostilities.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blaine I had my doubts Blaine, but this build is really starting to take off. At only level 17, with shit armor and energy shields, the build is still feeling good with Spear Guardian maxed out. Once I craft a good pair of armor sloping riot gear, pair it with some chunky energy shields, I'll have both movement and tankiness. Coupled with the MK IV Grenades (eventually MK V) and Grenadier, we can easily deal with those annoying backliners. Some cheese is necessary still, but it's coming along.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Huh? Riot gear gets barely any benefit from sloping. You're spending a feat just to make your shield slightly lighter so you can get a little more movement points? Doesn't really seem worth it.
Riot Gear without armor sloping is around 45-50% armor penalty. Add in the armor sloping bonus it goes down to around 32-33%. Add in nimble, and that brings me down to a total armor penalty of 17-19%. I think that makes it pretty worth it, considering the play style of the build (10 Agility + Strider by the time Deep Caverns rolls around).

Riot Gear without armor sloping is around 45-50% armor penalty. Add in the armor sloping bonus it goes down to around 32-33%.
Tungsten shield is normally 26 penalty. With sloping that turns into 17, so that's 9 points saved. I dunno, spending a feat just to lower your penalty by 9 doesn't seem worthwhile. And that's assuming you use tungsten, too, if you use lighter metals the bonus is even smaller.
I guess it does lower the penalty for helmet/boots too though so that's good. I was just thinking about the riot gear specifically and ignoring the other slots, even though I shouldn't have. I'm dumb.

Parabalus

Arcane
Apparently riftwalking away from the camp before the first talk with the professor and base defense turns Aegis-Sec hostile when you return. Fuck this shit :negative:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

My mistake. I was responding to BING XI LAO and I was thinking about the Buzzer and Faceless situation which is pretty early in the game.

Yeah, you need like 115 (max 130) for the entire game. PSI builds with max WILL receive a huge bonus at lvl 30: 70 skill points can become effective 120+ therefore they don't need to invest so much in Persuasion.

Apparently riftwalking away from the camp before the first talk with the professor and base defense turns Aegis-Sec hostile when you return. Fuck this shit :negative:

Controlled Zone needs a nerf :)

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Can you even go to Abyssal Station without breaking the truce? I couldn't find a path which didn't trigger hostilities.

Yeah. You can reach Abyssal Station without triggering the pirates.

There is something wrong with your game: once you've done the truce you should be able to go anywhere in the pirate's land.

Parabalus

Arcane

There is something wrong with your game: once you've done the truce you should be able to go anywhere in the pirate's land.

Could you land and talk to the pirates?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Yes.

If you are at the beginning of the expansion then just reload. You waste 1-2 hours but at least your game is not fucked.

In my case, pirates were triggered only when I was entering a specific area (G1) and I only found out after like 20 hours into the expansion.

I started killing them and I could manage to finish the Expedition because I was close to the end anyway. But if they are aggressive from the beginning then you will have a hard time because at least 2 special locations are inside their territory.

Parabalus

Arcane
Expedition is really extreme cancer for melee chars, so many roots and enemies.

Yes.

If you are at the beginning of the expansion then just reload. You waste 1-2 hours but at least your game is not fucked.

In my case, pirates were triggered only when I was entering a specific area (G1) and I only found out after like 20 hours into the expansion.

I started killing them and I could manage to finish the Expedition because I was close to the end anyway. But if they are aggressive from the beginning then you will have a hard time because at least 2 special locations are inside their territory.

I killed them all already :positive:.

But good to know I ran into a bug, makes more sense. Next time I'll probably ally with them.

ciox

Liturgist
I killed them all already :positive:.

But good to know I ran into a bug, makes more sense. Next time I'll probably ally with them.

Joining the pirates if you're running a melee char is probably the most rational choice you can make in the entire game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom