Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft Store & PC Game Pass Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
Am I supposed to know what Win + G does?
I don't even know what a 'windows key' is, this is the keyboard I use:
txyWYC3.jpg

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Spencer on this year's E3 Giant Bomb, excellent interview as usual. His knowledge of gaming continues to impress me, he actually knows what DOSBox is.

Nyast

Cipher
Tried the PC game pass, experience so far:

- required a major Windows upgrade, wtf. An hour and a half to install. Computer has been doing weird things since then. An hour ago my sound became randomly garbled with strange noises. Rebooting solved the problem. I'm blaming it on Windows and not the xbox app store though ( although both are Microsoft )

- registering an account has been a pain, especially related to country settings in the xbox app. For some reason the dropdown menu to change your country is disabled, so you have to go to the Microsoft website manually and log in to your account to change it. I'm french but living in belgium and it seems like it confused the system. Also, after I changed my account the xbox app didn't refresh, so I had to relaunch it manually. What a clusterfuck

- then I reached the part where I had to register my credit card. Well, I almost couldn't do it. The drop-down where you pick up the expiration date was 30 pixels tall and as a result, didn't show the year my CC expired. I had to click on a single pixel line, very accurately, to be able to pick the right year. This is completely retarded.

- then I could finally get into the store and download games. Well, that more or less worked.. except it's the first time in a decade that I've witnessed an app crash my system with black screens. Like, no windows blue screens, no no no that would be too easy. Just pure black screens ( on both of my monitors ), empty, no text, nothing, completley frozen. It did it 3 times in the last 2 days so far. It only happens when the xbox app store is opened

- the games I tried so far seem to work well.. but require permission to access your personal Microsoft account data. Doesn't inspire confidence. I'm not sure what is being sent / shared, I certainly wouldn't like my e-mail to be sent to third-party companies to get spammed. I dunno, maybe I'm worrying too much ? ( or not enough ? )

- so far one game refused to install: Everspace. After checking out the error message.. that game requires to be installed on your C: drive no matter what. Yeah, the one on the SSD that contains the OS and critical apps and that is almost empty. Other games did install with no trouble on other drives though

Once all of that is out of the way, the games seem to work well, so there's that at least.

TL/DR: 10/10, would do it again.

Gerrard

Arcane
I wanted to try the Gamepass, just for shits.

Downloaded the app, launched it, got a message that my Windowz needs an update.
Weird, it auto-updated like two days ago.
Aight, go for it.
It's been almost an hour now. AN HOUR. And the damn updater thing has been stuck at 85% for about 10 minutes now.
Can somebody explain to me what the fuck is going on? I haven't seen such a massive update since the early days of Win10 beta.
Every feature update is like that. Every single one takes longer to install than the system itself. That's what you get for hiring monkeys.

J1M

Arcane
Weird, none of those look like the Halo remaster, and yet they are talking like someone would care.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MS Game Pass is a fucking godsend. Unlike EGS, which is just some shitty Unreal Engine launcher with a game store slapped onto it, this actually provides great value for cheap popamole gaming.

Just extended another 3 months period for a measily €3,99. And I'll be able to popamole Gears 5, The Queer Worlds and Age 2 DE within that timeframe. Unbelievable.

The Queer Worlds
That's actually a decent catch, assuming it does launch within that timeframe on the game pass thing. I'd been avoiding it but maybe I should throw $5 at them just for arguably easier Obsidian piracy. Especially if it's going to have Denuvo, which I have no idea.

Scooped this up for the shameful single month for $1 deal just to give Outer Worlds a try (With preloading and less potential hassle than other means). Was mildly fiddly since there were issues on Microsoft's end, but my $1 fee was covered for free with Bing Rewards (And potentially I could just keep it at the $5 a month rate with that too, which I may end up doing since there's a fair few games I wouldn't mind playing). The client itself is kind of a fucking mess, it also constantly throws a big fucking fit because the account that's "Paying" for game pass is different than the Microsoft account I use to log in to Windows which it doesn't like, but it can live with it. Can't run anything as a non-Steam game through Steam because they DRM the fuck out of everything. Can't even browse the folders the games install to unless you fight Windows for access, and once you do the files themselves are on ultra-lockdown. Which would annoy the everliving shit out of me except that it's specifically a game rental service, so I don't really give a shit.

Other than that weirdness, so far so good. Outer Worlds is preloaded, and I downloaded and have been playing Void Bastards. Other than the nuisance of not being able to run stuff through Steam for easy screenshotting/streaming/etc, not too bad. Been working fine, alt tabbing fine, and it made me finally try the Microsoft overlay shit which isn't entirely god-awful. For a game rental thing it seems pretty fine and I may keep it rolling a few months since I can cover that shit with Bing and that'll let me leisurely play Metro and State of Decay 2 and crap.

Falksi

Arcane
Even when getting a good deal for it, selling your soul is still selling your soul.

Fuck that with a twirling lawnmower.

Ivan

Arcane
Trying this out for a buck as well for Outer Worlds. I'm already planning on trying out the following: Recore, Bloodstained, Metro Exodus, Wolf 2, Ruiner, Kingdom Come, Unavowed, Sunset Overdrive, Vampyr.

Any other titles I should keep an eye on?

Trying this out for a buck as well for Outer Worlds. I'm already planning on trying out the following: Recore, Bloodstained, Metro Exodus, Wolf 2, Ruiner, Kingdom Come, Unavowed, Sunset Overdrive, Vampyr.

Any other titles I should keep an eye on?
Operencia? State of Decay 2? Prey? Enter the Gungeon? Thimbleweed Park? Unavowed? They've got a bunch of good shit on there, depending on your tastes.

Ivan

Arcane
Trying out Bloodstained, I'm not smitten by it, but it is delivering pretty much what I expected from an Igavania.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More games coming to Game Pass: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/11/14/xbox-game-pass-at-x019/

XboxGP_X019_final.jpg

That’s a lot of games, so here’s a list of what you can play today:
  • Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (PC)
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall (Console, coming soon to PC)
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet Edition (PC)
  • LEGO: The Ninjago Movie Videogame (Console)
  • Rage 2 (Console & PC)
  • Remnant: From the Ashes (Console)
  • The Talos Principle (Console & PC)
  • Tracks: The Train Set Game (Console & PC)
And here’s another list of games coming to Xbox Game Pass beginning this holiday and throughout 2020.
  • Carrion (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Cris Tales (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Cyber Shadow (Console & PC)
  • Darksiders III (Console & PC)
  • Double Kick Heroes (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Drake Hollow (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Edge of Eternity (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Final Fantasy franchise (Console & PC)
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Final Fantasy VIII: Remastered
    • Final Fantasy IX
    • Final Fantasy X: HD Remastered
    • Final Fantasy X-2: HD Remastered
    • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
    • Final Fantasy XIII
    • Final Fantasy XIII-2
    • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
    • Final Fantasy XV
  • Forager (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Haven (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • It Lurks Below (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Levelhead (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Life Is Strange 2: Episodes 4 & 5 (Console)
  • My Friend Pedro (Console/PC)
  • Pandemic (PC)
  • PHOGS (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • She Dreams Elsewhere (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • SkateBird (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Streets of Rage 4 (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Scourge Bringer (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Supraland (Console) – ID@Xbox
  • Tekken 7 (Console)
  • Touhou Luna Nights (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • The Escapists 2 (Console)
  • The Red Lantern (Console) – ID@Xbox
  • The Red Strings Club (PC)
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Console)
  • Vambrace: Cold Soul (Console & PC)
  • West of Dead (Console & PC)
  • Yakuza franchise (Console & PC)
    • Yakuza 0
    • Yakuza Kiwami
    • Yakuza Kiwami 2
I’m betting you hadn’t forgotten our promise to bring Xbox Game Studios games to Xbox Game Pass the same day as their launch – like Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, which celebrates the 20th anniversary of the most popular strategy games ever! Pretty sure I mentioned before that it’s available today, but it’s worth saying again, it’s available today.

And a just a few short weeks later, we’re bringing Halo: The Master Chief Collection to PC for the first time, starting with Halo: Reach on December 3. Now optimized for PC, experience the revered campaign and the pivotal battle for the planet Reach as Noble team fights to save humanity’s last stronghold.

There is also an updated bundle for console, which includes Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach. Plus, since it’s included with your Xbox Game Pass membership, you can pre-install now, so you’re ready to play on day one!

Beyond Dec, there are even more Xbox Game Studios titles coming in 2020:
  • Bleeding Edge (Console & PC)
  • Grounded (Console & PC)
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (PC)
  • Minecraft Dungeons (Console & PC)
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Console & PC)
  • Tell Me Why (Console & PC)
  • Wasteland 3 (Console & PC)
And while it’s sad to say goodbye to games that are leaving our library on November 30, if you want to snag them now so you can keep playing, don’t forget that members get a 10% discount on games before they go!
  • Abzu (PC and Console)
  • Below (Console)
  • Football Manager 2019 (PC)
  • GRID 2 (Console)
  • Kingdom Two Crowns (Console)
  • Strange Brigade (Console)

Well that's nice. I'll give Rage 2 a whirl on this, and even though $40 for the Halo collection is decent I'll probably just play them on this since they're more of a one and done thing for me anyway. And I might try out Planetfall and wouldn't mind Remnant if that shows up for PC, otherwise the 2020 list looks pretty worthless.

Their 3 months for $1 was different from my current subscription too, which was just the PC-only game pass and this is the "Everything" pass. Haven't got a console so functionally it's identical to me, but now I'm curious if it'll have a spasm if I cancel my "Ultimate" pass and resubscribe to the PC pass so I'm still at the $5 a month subscription in the hope that gets grandfathered in if/when they raise the price. I can keep the $5 a month going for free with Microsoft credit, $10 a month would be mildly trickier. I'm covered until late February now so it's not hugely pressing. It SHOULD just continue the ultimate pass and then subscribe to PC-only when it runs out, but the paranoia runs thick in me.

Edit: Appears that you actually CAN'T set up a PC-only game pass subscription while ultimate is running. So I guess I'll just cancel ultimate and then if PC's still $5 a month (And if I give a shit) in late February I'll hop on that again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom