Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't get the box thing at all,it takes a lot of space,it is useless and you look like some nolifer weirdo to normal people.

There's also nothing "useful" about collecting stamps, outdated coins, insects, etc.
People collect stuff because they like collecting stuff. It's a hobby.
Besides who the fuck cares what other people think.
Well those thing don't fill a whole room with useless cardboard.

loudmouthed morons crying
Bro, look at... oh... I dunno... every single one of your posts on Codex. You come off as a petulant child absolutely fixated on this moronic issue of game ownership. We're talking about fucking video games, son. Things that people typically pay around $50 for at most. Quite often far far FAR less in the days of digital distribution (think I paid about $5ish each for Dishonored 2 and Prey).

Since you seem to be about sixteen, let me explain to you the reality of the 80's and 90's. Most people would buy physical games and then probably lose them in about five or six years. Very few people had this collecting fetish for boxed copies. I can go back now and find games I [lol rented] on Steam from a decade ago. Back in the 90's I (and most other normal people) would probably have long since lost physical copies of games we had bought ten years prior. Never mind the fact that if, for some reason, Steam imploded; we live in the internet age where you can 'locate' another digital copy of the game elsewhere.

You are the Codex's gibbering homeless guy standing on a corner ranting about the dangers of flouride in the drinking water. Time to seek help.

100%, just to add something:

You know what many kids did after buying a game? They destroyed the carton immediately & just took the module & manual home.
Next to nobody gave a fuck about boxes, thats why today some boxes are worth more than the games themself.

I was that kid :negative:
Meh,collecting boxes is a westerner's hobo thing. Tho i never had any boxes because i pirated shit all my life. Even the games i bought were from disc burners that sold them for euro or two. I don't get the box thing at all,it takes a lot of space,it is useless and you look like some nolifer weirdo to normal people.

Pirating shit before 2000 with shit interwebz was shit.... Most people where just lucky to know someone with a cd-burner.

And ofc there was no pirating N64 cartridges, or emulating it, there was only renting, paying a hobo to acquire it for you or risking the 10 finger rebate yourself.
That is pretty interesting in a way. Now when it think back on my youth,we were pretty advanced on the pc front. Even before the 2000 here we had well established lan network and quite the internet community,i still remember the release of ICQ and the stupid shit i had done on it :). Also MIRC was pretty popular here,it was insecure as chicken in a wolf's den,but it was great fun chatting around and bantering. We also had an internet deliverer's inner chat/forum and pear to pear database where everyone was uploading their hdd,thus you had really fast database of pirated shit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I don't get the box thing at all,it takes a lot of space,it is useless and you look like some nolifer weirdo to normal people.

There's also nothing "useful" about collecting stamps, outdated coins, insects, etc.
People collect stuff because they like collecting stuff. It's a hobby.
Besides who the fuck cares what other people think.
Well those thing don't fill a whole room with useless cardboard.

Nobody says you are required to display your collection. An empty box of shoes is spacious enough for at least 10 game boxes.

Last edited:

Mustawd

We also had an internet deliverer's inner chat/forum and pear to pear database

17338_original.jpg

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this. How can someone compare funding a game for your own platform (Ubisoft, EA, consoles, etc) to bribing a publisher, taking a game that the community crowdfunded through a kickstarter, and make it exclusive to your store? Give me one example of another store that took a crowdfunded game, and made it exclusive to their store. You can't compare what Epic is doing with any of the other stores (including console exclusives), because they are nothing alike. Bloodborne was a PS4 exclusive, and guess who helped fund the game? SONY DID. Now tell those poor Shenmue 3 supporters how much help Epic gave through those 3-4 years of development and 7.1 million that the fans collected for them.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Funny thing is that adding your game to other stores is actually a feature devs/publishers use to prop their game. "Oh your game will be on GoG, cool I'll buy it then", same with Steam. Epic is so shit it's the opposite. :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's amazing to me they would pay a huge online game exclusive like Borderlands 3 and not improve the client in time for launch. The point of exclusives are to get people into your house, but if your house is a dirty and poorly organized piece of shit then no one will want to come back. I'm not sure how much it will end up mattering because people tend to just put up with things if they want the game bad enough, but it just seems like poor decision making.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Because Epic is shit and Sweeney or these devs couldn't give two fucks for the customers. Now do you understand?

Mustawd

I'm not sure how much it will end up mattering because people tend to just put up with things if they want the game bad enough

I think the key point here is that the entire strategy behind exclusives is to take market share away from Steam. That involves actively keeping users. Sure ppl will put up with it to play that specific game, but the true test is which store do you choose when a game you want is on Steam AND Epic? Having stupid things like no preloading is a huge backwards step for EGS imo.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Because Epic is shit and Sweeney or these devs couldn't give two fucks for the customers. Now do you understand?

I've always understood that. What I've said a hundred times though is I don't think it'll matter much. People put up with shit to play exclusives, that's always been the case and will always be the case. How you guys turn that message into "I LOVE EPIC OMG" is beyond me, but whatever.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's amazing to me they would pay a huge online game exclusive like Borderlands 3 and not improve the client in time for launch. The point of exclusives are to get people into your house, but if your house is a dirty and poorly organized piece of shit then no one will want to come back. I'm not sure how much it will end up mattering because people tend to just put up with things if they want the game bad enough, but it just seems like poor decision making.
anti-consumer store does anti-consumer thing

Squid

Arbiter
Dalek has a good point. Epic might get an install base but how many people actually will return to buy from them?

Thinking about it. We've argued that a better store with better features will win out overall. But people claimed the only way to get people away from Steam is to make an offer they can't find anywhere else which is done via exclusives/timed-exclusives. Fair enough, similar store features alone won't make someone abandon their 500 games on Steam. Great so now that you convinced people to download your client, you have to get them to buy other shit there. Sure Epic could keep dumping money out to get more people buying on there but once that stops working they're out of luck the way it currently stands.

Why the hell would you not go back to Steam and buy your game (assuming that's your preferred store already) once the option opens up again? You already have bought there, they have way more features, etc. Epic doesn't really have a reason for you to reopen that client unless you're playing Fortnite or a game that you bought there in the first year of it being out.

Do they have better sales? A community workshop? User reviews? A shopping cart? A friend's list? A wish list? Do they offer more selections in games? Do they curate their store better? Things to be considered when deciding which store you actually want to stick with and not just put up with when they bribe another exclusive that you (for some reason) cannot wait out.

They currently hand out free games once a month or so and that's the only thing over Steam they have. They have a shopping cart by now I assume, so that's on par with every other storefront since 2004, thanks for finally showing up to the party.

Squid

Arbiter
steam·tard
/stēmˈ tärd/
noun
  1. 1.
    a type of customer who wants basic store features in their online storefront, specifically in PC gaming. Usually are critical of a specific store called Epic Store. Does not necessarily like Steam but definitely does not like Epic.
    "Steamtards are mad that Epic doesn't have a shopping cart"
    synonyms: Steam fanboy

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
Hey, that's pretty nice in a store that has way too many games in it. Also the "Played on another platform" thing is nice. Now I can click that when I see a game that I already own on a better store like GOG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/august-feature-update

August Feature Update - Cloud Saves, Humble Bundle Keyless Integration, and More!

Hey folks,

We’re excited to bring you a feature update for the Epic Games store. This update includes Cloud Saves, our Humble Bundle keyless integration, and some info about the new product pages!

Cloud Saves

We’ve added Cloud Save support for the following games over the past month:
  • Alan Wake
  • Close to the Sun
  • Darksiders III
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Genesis Alpha One
  • GNOG
  • Hyperlight Drifter
  • Kingdom New Lands
  • Limbo
  • Moonlighter
  • Mutant Year Zero
  • Overcooked
  • Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
  • The Sinking City
  • This War Of Mine
  • World War Z

Additionally, all Ubisoft titles have supported cloud saves since launch through Uplay integration.

Why not cloud save ALL the games?

We’re working with the developers of other released games to test cloud saves, and will be enabling more games over time. Upcoming games that support Cloud Saves will have them enabled at launch!

Humble Bundle Keyless Integration

Today we are launching keyless integration with Humble Bundle and Humble Store. You can link your Epic Games account to your Humble account, enabling you to purchase games directly from the Humble store without requiring a redemption key. You can enable this feature by logging into your Humble account, going to the “Settings” option and linking your Epic Games account.

Diesel%2Fblog%2Faugust-feature-update%2FCapture-1414x106-78fc6f731803eb501463b9b5286be38eabe887b1.PNG

Complete your purchase of a game for the Epic Games store on Humble and the game will automatically appear in your library! This is one step we are taking towards creating an open ecosystem for players, and we’re looking at more partnerships with highly reputable digital game sellers.

Refreshed Product Pages

All of our product pages have received a face-lift, meaning you’ll see visual and informational improvements to your favorite titles. The new pages offer beefier game descriptions, better release date visibility for upcoming titles, and allow for additional imagery and videos. This is being done to give developers more control over the presentation of their games, and also for customers to make better purchase decisions.

Please give us your feedback on what information could be more clear and what you care about when it comes to the details we highlight!

What’s Next?
  • We rolled out For Honor with an improved installation experience, reducing the total time to install and the amount of disk space required. We’ll be looking to update our existing Ubisoft titles to use this new tech next.
  • Some of you have already noticed that we’ve been rolling out new Epic-hosted videos on store pages. This provides the ability for better curation when you’re browsing the store, as well as giving more control to developers (i.e. the type of content they show for their games).
  • We’re in the final stages of rolling out special patch optimization for developers. The optimization reduces patch download sizes significantly, saving you time when updating games on the Epic Games store and allowing you to hop back into the games you enjoy.
  • For our next steps, we’ll be finishing our QA passes and polishing our documentation for our developers as we get it into their hands. For those interested, we’ll be writing a technical blog on how this works, so keep an eye out.
  • A new look and design are coming to your game libraries. The first update in this process will include a “list view” which will display more of your game library on screen at once. You will be able to sort, filter and access games in your library quicker and easier. We want to make navigating to the games you want to play seamless.
Diesel%2Fblog%2Faugust-feature-update%2F01a.List-Overview-2-2880x1800-16cc89d444084c021a7606765d700f335a6dacca.jpg

• Our new playtime tracking feature is also right around the corner! This feature is a critical piece for self-service refunds. This gives you the ability to precisely track playtime on the games you own and that’s important because it helps you determine when you’re eligible to submit for a refund on new game purchases.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They seriously didn't have cloud saves already?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom