Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The appeal of Skyrim

Do you like Skyrim?

• Yes, one of the best games ever made

• Yes, it was alright, but i got bored with it.

• Meh, not my type of RPG

• It was a bad RPG, didn't like it

• I am a sperg, i don't consider Skyrim to be an RPG, you fucking popamoler

Results are only viewable after voting.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Did you get tired of ESO?

Voids

Augur
It's a fun, casual action RPG. Nothing more, nothing less. I liked the exploration aspect, which is always my favorite part of all the Elder Scrolls games.

Deleted Member 16721

Of course dexers are fringe. The numbers don't lie. You guys are a very small vocal minority compared to the tens of millions who love these games. Get a grip bro and stop stalking me already.

Master

Arbiter
So after playing more Skyrim with my dad I'm starting to see more of the appeal of it up close again, like it's 2011 again. The appeal is simple. Huge fantasy world, huge amount of loot, quests, dungeons, things to kill. It's just loaded with "stuff" to see and do. Little details like becoming chief of the rieklings in Solstheim. Little puzzles like the Dwemer ruin where you have to use resonance gems you find across the land to unlock new areas that have new Dwemer companions for you to choose from. It's just got a lot, of, stuff.

Good stuff too, you gelatinous cubes. The game is fun. Smithing a new piece of equipment to get a better armor or damage bonus. Enchanting things. Finding sweet new loot you weren't expecting that is an upgrade. Killing named enemies who are hard. Successfully using shouts and clever magic to get by (Guardian Circles, raising undead, becoming ethereal from a potion, etc.) There's a lot to it. I know you fucks think it's all cool to downplay it, but after playing 350 hours on one run, then many more hours on other runs, and now playing with my old man I see why Skyrim is revered by RPG heads across the world. It's just fucking good, and there's a lot of it. Good meal with good food and expensive furnishings, a fucking feast.

Deal with it weirdos.
That would all be fine, if Gothic didn't exist and didn't do everything better. So there is nothing to deal with. Bethesda shit simply isn't nearly as good and is in fact pretty laughable. I guess G1/2 is now too old for modernfags to play so they have nothing against which to compare. Then of course Skyrim will be king for them. Can't say i blame them, but people here should know better.

Deleted Member 16721

Gothic 1 & 2 are fine games but they don't give the same experience as a Beth game. Surely you're the one who should know better than to compare them. Beth offers a huge world with 150+ handcrafted dungeons and unlimited "play how you want" feels. Gothic offers a small handcrafted world.

Master

Arbiter
Huh? Gothics aren't the biggest open world games but they aren't small. Especially Gothic 2 with NotR is pretty fucking huge. And gives all the same "feels", except better and not for small children.

attackfighter

Magister
Skyrim has good superficial aspects of Setting. Which is to say that the epic castles and mountains and stuff are cool. Perilous bridges spanning canyons; semi-frozen rivers with spring flowers and dire wolves around them, and stuff. The combat is pretty decent (in before ridicule). Let me qualify that: there's better combat than in Morrowind.

While there are numerous missed opportunities apparent in the game, there is only one flaw that ruins it for me: level scaling. All of Bethesda's games since Morrowind have been unplayable due to the unbelievably atrocious writing, except Skyrim. Skyrim has writing that is ignorable. It doesn't, however, have enemies that make levelling up a non-pointless activity, and mods only partially resolve this. So it's garbage but who can resist playing it?

Deleted Member 16721

The level scaling is toned down in Skyrim. You still feel strong based on your character choices.

Rules Lawyer

Literate
So after playing more Skyrim with my dad I'm starting to see more of the appeal of it up close again, like it's 2011 again. The appeal is simple. Huge fantasy world, huge amount of loot, quests, dungeons, things to kill. It's just loaded with "stuff" to see and do. Little details like becoming chief of the rieklings in Solstheim. Little puzzles like the Dwemer ruin where you have to use resonance gems you find across the land to unlock new areas that have new Dwemer companions for you to choose from. It's just got a lot, of, stuff.

Good stuff too, you gelatinous cubes. The game is fun. Smithing a new piece of equipment to get a better armor or damage bonus. Enchanting things. Finding sweet new loot you weren't expecting that is an upgrade. Killing named enemies who are hard. Successfully using shouts and clever magic to get by (Guardian Circles, raising undead, becoming ethereal from a potion, etc.) There's a lot to it. I know you fucks think it's all cool to downplay it, but after playing 350 hours on one run, then many more hours on other runs, and now playing with my old man I see why Skyrim is revered by RPG heads across the world. It's just fucking good, and there's a lot of it. Good meal with good food and expensive furnishings, a fucking feast.

Deal with it weirdos.

A whole lot of neckbearding going on in this thread by people who assume that things they personally don't like must suck.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Skyrim is a good exploring game, and mods can make the exploring even better.

But if you want deep story,strong dialogue and lots of C&C, you won't get it, not from Bethesda anyway.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Well millions of gamers would disagree with you. There's a reason the game has sold a bajillion copies, many of us like roaming around an open-world and LARPing our characters. There was plenty of compelling content in Skyrim IMO and the game itself, the roaming and exploring was compelling too. That's why many gamers play it for hundreds of hours, myself included.

They make sandboxes where people can LARP. That’s not content! You just admitted that the point of a BGS game is making your own fun. Millions of people do like doing this, sure. Or they did. When Skyrim came out in 2011 there were very few big open world games where you could go anywhere. That’s no longer the case.

And I submit that if you’ve played one Bethesda game, you’ve played them all. The experience grows stale. If you get all of this out of Skyrim, you don’t need to buy, say, Fallout 76. Your LARPing needs are already met. While there were other reasons 76 bombed, it would’ve sold a hell of a lot better if there were really millions upon millions of people clamoring for more mindless BGS open world exploration.

People who loved Daggerfall were disappointed by Morrowind and gave up after Oblivion. People who loved Morrowind were disappointed by Oblivion and gave up after Fallout 3 or Skyrim. People who loved Skyrim were disappointed by Fallout 4 and gave up on Fallout 76. Bethesda churns through its user base like there’s no tomorrow. The games have gotten progressively worse, but I think the real problem is that the core experience is so similar, so it feels incredibly underwhelming when you replay the same game in a new skin.

I doubt that's the case, the only time Bethesda really "churns through its user base" is Fallout 76, and maybe Fallout 4(I doubt it since it sells more than 30 million copies). Other than that their use base only gets bigger with every game they push out.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
People who loved Daggerfall were disappointed by Morrowind and gave up after Oblivion. People who loved Morrowind were disappointed by Oblivion and gave up after Fallout 3 or Skyrim. People who loved Skyrim were disappointed by Fallout 4 and gave up on Fallout 76. Bethesda churns through its user base like there’s no tomorrow. The games have gotten progressively worse, but I think the real problem is that the core experience is so similar, so it feels incredibly underwhelming when you replay the same game in a new skin.

I doubt that's the case, the only time Bethesda really "churns through its user base" is Fallout 76, and maybe Fallout 4(I doubt it since it sells more than 30 million copies). Other than that their use base only gets bigger with every game they push out.
You're both part right.

Half the Daggerfall fanbase abhorred Morrowind.
But Morrowind picked up more fans than ever before along the way.

Half the Morrowind fanbase abhorred Oblivion.
But Oblivion picked up more fans than ever before along the way.

Etc., until Fallout 76. Now I'm pretty sure the only diehard Bethesda fans left are also really big into the new Star Wars trilogy.

Deleted Member 16721

So fluent. What are things you think ESO actually does better than Skyrim? Just curious.

I'm glad you asked. There's actually quite a bit.

For one, skills begin leveling up and appearing as skill groups when you first start using the skill. So you don't know the skill exists for dual wield, for example, until you start dual wielding and attacking an enemy and then it appears.

Also, there are many more skills in ESO that make for a lot more fun. Cloth armor skill, World skills, class skills, even guilds start their own unique skill line. Races also have unique skill lines.

Theft and wanted level are shown as a gauge in the bottom left of the screen, letting you know how long until you're no longer notorious or wanted by the guards.

Skills that morph into better ones, giving you the option of which one to morph out of the 2 options available.

Arrows on the compass have small text above them when centered on your screen, which shows the name of the item centered.

Crafting mats are found in barrels and sacks, enemies drop various loot including weapons and armors (this one I wouldn't like to see in the next TES actually, I don't want mudcrabs dropping greataxes, but barrels and sacks having crafting mats is a good move).

Crafting, such as enchanting and smithing is done better with more options. Enchanting especially is cool as you have to find 3 separate runes, one of each type, and you have to randomly combine runes until you find a working combination (like alchemy in previous games).

Each NPC has dialogue even if not involved in a quest, they have background lore info (basically doesn't apply to the next TES as all NPCs will have dialogue anyway).

More clear consequences of quest results. Imagine Skyrim but done to a larger extent, you see the outcome of the quest in the world around you.

Combat. Combat is a lot of fun. Skills use Stamina and magic uses Magicka obviously, and you can regain stamina by landing a power attack. In general the combat is fast-paced and a lot of fun.

More animals running around in the wild. Snakes, frogs, birds, ash hoppers, etc..

Potions have a cooldown, meaning you can't spam them as frequently.

Enchanted weapons keep charge longer leading to less soul gem usage.

Food gives important and impacting bonuses which leads to wanting to cook recipes and learn which meals to use.

More armor slots.

More crafting skills including jewelry-making, tailoring, woodworking and more.

Fast travel is limited, you have to find wayshrines to travel to, costs gold upon each use. It also goes up greatly in cost if you do it a few times in a row without waiting the necessary time between travels.

House decorating is done a lot better and there are unique items for your house too.

XP is awarded for discovering new locations, making it more rewarding to explore the map.

Last edited by a moderator:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'm glad you asked. There's actually quite a bit.
...snipped wall....

It would be better to say what Skyrim does better than ESO. If anything. Personally I think it does nothing better because it is a terrible game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Of course dexers are fringe. The numbers don't lie. You guys are a very small vocal minority compared to the tens of millions who love these games.

Popularity =/= Quality.
Also since Fallout 4, more and more people have started to realise how barren Beth games are.

Beth offers a huge world with 150+ handcrafted dungeons and unlimited "play how you want" feels. Gothic offers a small handcrafted world.

Quality >>>>>>> Quantity
That huge world has the depth of a puddle, the 150+ handcrafted dungeons are a complete meme seeing how they're all the fucking same, and the "play how you want" is complete bullshit - since the game is opitmized to be completed with only one type of playstyle, the kill anything your path playstyle (so if for example you want to complete the game with a Garret like character you can't, hell you can't even complete the Thief guild quests as that type of character).

The level scaling is toned down in Skyrim. You still feel strong based on your character choices.

Oh yeah, leveld lists stop at level 50 a point of the game where you, like all other beings and creatures of the game world, pretty much have all things maxed out. It's really does make you feel stronger :roll:

What are you doing with your life?
He’s having fun with it, unlike you, faggot.

The typical response of the usual party slag/fag.

Skyrim is a good exploring game, and mods can make the exploring even better.

>good exploring game
>garbage level design and world building, boring samey fetch quests, leveled lists for items

Makes sense.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Holy shit, this is still £15 in GAME! Who are they kidding?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom