Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Priests are the most engaging class with the broadest toolset that actually gets used. They have 3 viable and *great* specs (shadow for PvP) and have access to probably the best itemization in vanilla. They also have a very smooth leveling experience once you know what you are doing and are always in demand in groups for dungeons and raids.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
People are making such a big fuss out of Vanilla raiding when there's not that much there, certainly not until AQ opens which is a looong time from now. I see these shitter leveling speed tips, and it's completely stupid. All you do in P1 is level, do some dungeons and then maybe wpvp. That's it. What's the rush to, the boredom of MC?

Vanilla strong point is its crafted world. If you don't take the time to wonder around and spot all the little details, I don't even know why play it at this point.

Anyway, I'll be rolling a warrior. I've played Druid in vanilla/tbc and Mage in wrath. So tanking is the only experience left to try, really excited about it. It'll be on a pvp server because wpvp is amazing at breaking the leveling monotony, painful as it may be sometimes.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Priests are the most engaging class with the broadest toolset that actually gets used. They have 3 viable and *great* specs (shadow for PvP) and have access to probably the best itemization in vanilla.
Leveling up with a priest is such a fucking bore. Dots + fear + wand. Most of the time it's just wanding mobs. What could be more horribly endlessly boring?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Everyone has a routine while they level, priests just happen to do it very efficiently through the wand and Spirit Tap. I'd say warlocks are the most fun to level, but get insanely boring at 60. And like I've said before, the oft-repeated phrase of "the game doesn't begin at 60" is quaint and all, but the problem is that it doesn't end there either.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
What could be more horribly endlessly boring?
19w_J6eWXeKmbM5CbbUIhqdzdeI4KAhF-sP2RvfRcXg.jpg

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
People are making such a big fuss out of Vanilla raiding when there's not that much there, certainly not until AQ opens which is a looong time from now. I see these shitter leveling speed tips, and it's completely stupid. All you do in P1 is level, do some dungeons and then maybe wpvp. That's it. What's the rush to, the boredom of MC?

Vanilla strong point is its crafted world. If you don't take the time to wonder around and spot all the little details, I don't even know why play it at this point.

Anyway, I'll be rolling a warrior. I've played Druid in vanilla/tbc and Mage in wrath. So tanking is the only experience left to try, really excited about it. It'll be on a pvp server because wpvp is amazing at breaking the leveling monotony, painful as it may be sometimes.
I agree in part, disagree in part. Beyond the world, it had dozens of consumables, unique items, and talent builds, such as the Tidal Charm, the mace with the dispel effect, and Reckoning PVP Paladins. It was a weird RPG, and I think it worked in vanilla's favor.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I agree that the endgame is terrible, maybe Naxx is the best raid with the most engaging mechanics, everything else is garbage tier and 5-mans are actually more fun. The economy also sucks, there are no money sinks, the grinds are mostly pointless and only worth doing by one person in an entire guild, the Scarab Lord grind is too much even if you do get good weapons from it (that are outshined immediately by AQ drops), the PvP grind is retarded. Having that in mind, it is indeed true that the leveling and 5-mans are the most enjoyable part of vanilla, so make of that what you will.

Oh, the game also caters very heavily to the best of the best, i.e. those who can clear raids successfully and hastily. Being stuck months not being able to kill Twins is not a good time. Just to give you an idea of what it's going to be like, I quit on Kronos around 3ish months after AQ came out, and only 5 guilds had killed C'thun by that point.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Also, since I am a vanilla pleb, I have to ask: how are priests in vanilla? Checking out the internet everyone agrees that you level by killing mobs with your wand; that's does not sound that bad if I don't oom every two mobs. Endgame set items look great and they seem to be the de facto healers in general (at least until paladins get rolling).
Having levelled and played multiple priests, I can say that they are great and I'm going with a priest in Classic too. Priests has one of the best, if not the best sustainability of all classes. Played smart, you never need to eat or drink. Put PWS on yourself, cast Holy Fire or Mind Blast to pull, put SWP on the enemy and then wand - and your wands do decent damage thanks to Wand Specialization. With Spirit Tap, your mana regens quickly. If it's a weak mob (caster mob or low-level) skip SWP. Packs can be split easily with Mind Control and Psychic Scream - thin a big pack out by casting MC on one and let the other mobs kill it, then dot them and once they get to melee range cast Psychic Scream. While they are running around, Mind Blast + Wand one by one. At 40, you respec for full shadow to get Shadowform that boosts your defence and shadow spell damage. You'll still want Wand Spec ASAP because otherwise, you'll spend the majority of your time drinking since Mind Flay has a terrible DPM ratio.

You can find dungeon groups easily and healing far less demanding than tanking. With heal-over-time, fast heals, big heals, group heals and a ress, you can cover every possible scenario. Dungeons are absolutely worth doing because the quests give a ton of XP and many of them have good gear that will help to level. You can heal everything up to BRD as Shadow spec.

In PvP, we go down pretty fast because of wearing cloth and even Improved PWS doesn't last that long, especially since smart players will target healers first. But hide behind others and pump out heals and your side will win. As Shadow, you'll melt faces but have serious mana issues, like Boomkins and Ele shammies.

For raids, priests are always in demand though both paladins and shamans are even more so (because of blessings and totems). Raid healing is an art in itself and I won't go into it here. You can raid as Shadow but it's difficult. Shadow Priest DPS isn't that good on its own, but it can augment the DPS of warlocks, so guilds that have at least 4 good warlocks often bring a single shadow priest along - after the debuff limit goes from 8 to 16. And if a raid doesn't have 4 quality locks, the buff from a shadow priest isn't worth it - better to bring another fury warrior, mage or rogue along. Naturally, that only goes for hardcore guilds, casual guilds let people raid whatever.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I agree that the endgame is terrible, maybe Naxx is the best raid with the most engaging mechanics, everything else is garbage tier and 5-mans are actually more fun. The economy also sucks, there are no money sinks, the grinds are mostly pointless and only worth doing by one person in an entire guild, the Scarab Lord grind is too much even if you do get good weapons from it (that are outshined immediately by AQ drops), the PvP grind is retarded. Having that in mind, it is indeed true that the levelling and 5-mans are the most enjoyable part of vanilla, so make of that what you will.

Oh, the game also caters very heavily to the best of the best, i.e. those who can clear raids successfully and hastily. Being stuck months not being able to kill Twins is not a good time. Just to give you an idea of what it's going to be like, I quit on Kronos around 3ish months after AQ came out, and only 5 guilds had killed C'thun by that point.
Kronos had a lot of issues with their raid tuning (and mechanics and lot more) and generally low population so you shouldn't draw too many conclusions from there.

I disagree with the rest too. Re-spec, repair, reagents, consumables and of course epic mount are all money sinks. Especially since Blizzard will, hopefully, be far more effective in dealing with gold sellers that private servers ever were, nor are there massive exploits caused by emulation work-around-hacks. So inflation will not be as much of an issue as it was on private servers. If you had a bad time raiding, it says more about your raiding guild than the raids themselves. Yeah, no vanilla raid is complicated. The complexity comes from the need to have 40+ people in proper gear with enchants and consumables and world buffs to show up at the right time, and then have them do their job and follow raid leader's instructions for few hours. PvP grind is not a single thing, because very few people want to commit to the R14 grind, which indeed is insane, but there are benefits to ranking to lower levels as well, and those can be fun if you're with a nice group. World PvP in general and especially for farming Devilsaur leather or the world bosses can be amazing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Kronos had a lot of issues with their raid tuning (and mechanics and lot more) and generally low population so you shouldn't draw too many conclusions from there.

Re-spec, repair, reagents, consumables and of course epic mount are all money sinks.
Ah, the old "private servers didn't get it right!" rhetoric. Yeah, I've heard that before, but they got it close enough, so don't delude yourself, what you got in private servers is more or less what you'll get in the official servers. This is because they'll go with 1.12 balancing and won't buff raids to compensate, not because "the mechanics weren't working". All the raid consumables are very cheap to cover, especially if you have a good guild and don't have to constantly use them, you also don't use flasks for raids on farm. Whether the prices are inflated or not only matters for repair, reagents (which are very cheap) and respec (since the relative values are the same for things you buy at the AH), and I wouldn't call those massive money sinks.

And yeah, ok, you get a discount at rank 3 and you get a cool offhand that lasts for a long time from AV (which can be done in a weekend), but you know I'm not talking about that.

J1M

Arcane
It won't take long before that happens though. Many will rush to 60 and get good gear.

I am actually thinking about waiting a few weeks before starting to play, maybe the areas will not be as crowded. I read that layering is supposed to fix some issues with crowded areas and there is some increased spawn rate in starter zones but it will probably still take ages to get away from the first zones. People were complaining about spammers and griefers during this last stress test so maybe there is a chance to partially avoid that.

Also, since I am a vanilla pleb, I have to ask: how are priests in vanilla? Checking out the internet everyone agrees that you level by killing mobs with your wand; that's does not sound that bad if I don't oom every two mobs. Endgame set items look great and they seem to be the de facto healers in general (at least until paladins get rolling).
Personally, I think vanilla priests are one of the better classes in both PVE and PVP that are engaging. The last part is important, because there are plenty of classes that will earn a raid slot, but can be dull as hell (paladin, warlock). Priests have a great toolset of heals (single target, aoe, hots), dispel, mind control, mana burn, fear, and fear ward (dwarf priests only).

Unless blizzard fixed it, don’t forget that when you cast wand you can immediately follow up with a melee attack. You can alternate to beat down mobs faster. ....hopefully blizzard did not fix it.
That is a bug only present on private servers.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm dreading how packed Tirisfal Glades is going to be at launch
Idk. I was playing on launch during WOTLK and some other addon (where you start underwater) and it was ok, no biggie.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So I tried joining 3 guilds.

I have a non-24 sleeping pattern and I told it to one guild. They said they have a relaxed schedule and only want 70% attendance rate. I said with my sleeping pattern I can give you 60%. They said no, fuck you and your health conditions.
Then I wrote to another guild and promised a 100% attendance rate and they said their rogue spots weren't open.
Same with 3d guild.

It's annoying. I'm getting a fear of missing out. Am I even gonna be able to raid? I wanna start raiding on week 3-4.

Ninjerk

Arcane

I have a non-24 sleeping pattern and I told it to one guild. They said they have a relaxed schedule and only want 70% attendance rate. I said with my sleeping pattern I can give you 60%. They said no, fuck you and your health conditions.
Then I wrote to another guild and promised a 100% attendance rate and they said their rogue spots weren't open.
Same with 3d guild.

It's annoying. I'm getting a fear of missing out. Am I even gonna be able to raid? I wanna start raiding on week 3-4.
Take heart. Those guilds will probably all break apart by Phase 2. :lol:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Same with 3d guild.

Don't worry, you don't need to raid. Just watch one of the epic classic streamers (I suggest sodapoopings or asmongold! :) ) and hit 1 on your keyboard every couple seconds and it's just like being there with 20,000 of your zoomer friends in chat :)

epic!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Same with 3d guild.

Don't worry, you don't need to raid. Just watch one of the epic classic streamers (I suggest sodapoopings or asmongold! :) ) and hit 1 on your keyboard every couple seconds and it's just like being there with 20,000 of your zoomer friends in chat :)

epic!
> Guy plays current wow
> calls others "zoomers"

Lmao. Having a hard day in fortnite? Just give your favorite streamer your dad's money, should make you feel better.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Same with 3d guild.

epic!
> Guy plays current wow
> calls others "zoomers"

Lmao. Having a hard day in fortnite? Just give your favorite streamer your dad's money, should make you feel better.

Current WoW:

• Boost to max level
  • Find a raid/mythic+ group in <5 minutes, teleport to one of the 15+ challenging dungeons/raids
  • Having fun immediately
Classic WoW:

• New character, start at level 1 with one ability
  • Auto attack mobs for 20 hours, level 10
  • First dungeon unlocked, search for group
  • Two hours later, group assembled, everyone runs to dungeon
  • 30 minutes later, everybody in dungeon, one person needs to go to work, leaves
  • 20 minutes later, new player finally joins, is at dungeon
  • Auto attack mobs in dungeon for 2 hours
  • Level 11
  • Still no mount
  • Walk everywhere at morrowind starting character speed
Yeah sounds like a lot of fun no wonder boomers are so retarded

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The funny thing is that the saving graces of classic rpgs, the thing that allows you to overlook the god awful combat and tedium of spending hours walking from npc to npc: good writing/companions/c&c/character progression are completely absent from classic wow.

Classic wow is like if you take the shittiest parts of CRPGs and replace the good parts with even more shit

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR STREAMERS AND THEIR FANS THO LOLOL

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
  • Boost to max level
  • Find a raid/mythic+ group in <5 minutes, teleport to one of the 15+ challenging dungeons/raids
Between "boost to max level" and "go into mythic" there's this tiny thing called "grind inane world quests that are virtually the same like a lobotomized mongoloid forever..."

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR STREAMERS AND THEIR FANS THO LOLOL
Streamers were paid to hype classic. They won't last there 2 weeks and they'll be promptly back to nu-wow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom